Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's Sliced Bread

This version of my Focaccia Sheet Bread, minus the cheese and seasonings, is my best white bread version to date. I basically omitted the Jack and parmesan cheese and the seasonings for a plain white bread:

I decided to make my Focaccia Sheet Bread recipe without cheese this week to see how that would bake up. Well, I’m totally astounded at how good this came out. This was so good it just pushed all other of my bread recipes to the “back burner”. Seriously. Only difference between this and commercial sliced white bread is it isn’t quite as white and it has, of course, a full soft crust atop each slice. Not a bad thing in my book. Warm and buttered, it reminds me of a British crumpet, just no yeast taste (that may be my next experiment). I have to admit, both flavor and texture were outstanding compared to all my other soda/powder breads! An added bonus, this bread is somewhat elastic, in that it DID NOT break apart in my hands even with a piping hot hamburger patty between two very thin pieces that were sliced laterally out of one whole slice.

Due to it’s fairly innocuous flavor, I also see potential for this basic batter in dessert/sweet applications, like danish or scones. Due to the Carbquick, this bread would not be suitable until the grains rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 large eggs, beaten
1 c. Jennifer Eloff’s Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
½ c. Carbquick bake mix
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. soften cream cheese in medium bowl and beat in the eggs. Add in all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Line a 12 x 16½” or 11 x 16 baking pan with parchment or silicone/Silpat sheet. Dip batter onto pan in evenly spaced globs. Using fork or rubber spatula, evenly spread out the batter to the edges of the pan, trying to see that it is uniformly thick throughout, especially at the edges of the pan. Pop into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and done int he center. Remove and slightly cool. Cut into 12 “slices”.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 slices, each contains:

144 calories
12.6 g fat
6.08 g carbs, 3.25 g fiber, 2.83 g NET CARBS
8.9 g protein
235 mg sodium
44.8 mg potassium
14% RDA Vitamin A, 12.3% B12, 10% phosphorous, 10% selenium

Last edited by buttoni; 01-19-2012 at 11:05 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Looks good Peggy

How about double the recipe, do the yeast thing, let it
rise and see what happens?
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
I'd like to see your experiment with yeast. This looks fabulous!

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I don't even care whether the yeast actually makes it rise - I just want that yeast odor while it's baking! If you could do that, it'd be a miracle!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
This looks awesome
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't have much luck with yeast lately, but I DO plan to try dissolving some in lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar and adding it to the batter for a yeast flavor, if nothing else. If it should rise up as a result, so much the better. This bread has a really neutral non-cheesy taste, which is what I was looking for. I just have never liked much cheese in or on my sandwiches really and have been wanting to try various LC quick bread recipes without all the cheese most of them call for, just to see what evolved. Don't know if I feel gutsy enough to leave out the cream cheese in this base recipe, though.

I also plan to try making it in a 9x13 cake pan next time to get a thicker slice/serving. Also want to make a batch in round hamburger shapes. But I don't own a muffin top pan, so I'll have to fre-form them. That could get interesting, as I'm one of the kids in school who could never draw a circle (without a compass)!

The picture above doesn't do the soft, shiny crust justice. This bread has a VERY nice, smooth, shiny crust on it! Not rough like most of the LC bread crusts I've tried to date, except for the expansion crack in the center. Whoda thunk omitting the hard cheese would do THAT?

Last edited by buttoni; 01-19-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have carbalose flour, but not CarbQuik. Is there any way I can add something (i.e., baking powder, salt, fat) to approximate the CarbQuik in this recipe, using Carbalose?
dianafoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diana, since it's only ½ c. of the CQ, I would think you could sub in Carbalose. Just add maybe 2 tsp. olive oil and increase the BP and BS leavenings 1/4 tsp. each? CQ also has wheat gluten in it, so maybe 1 tsp. of that, too, if you have it? I'm totally guessing here, ya know. At least that might be a good start on your substitution version.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Peggy the link to Jennifer's recipe no longer works. Can we post that recipe here?
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
Peggy the link to Jennifer's recipe no longer works. Can we post that recipe here?
Let's try this link...

SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: I'm Very Excited to Unveil My Splendid Gluten-Free and Low-Carb Bake Mix At Last!

I am not 100% sure that's the exact one, but it IS a gluten-free bake mix recipe, and it's available on her site.

It's possible that she took down that other one since she published it in the new cookbook? That is pure speculation - I really have no idea. Anyway, the link should work.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, I forgot completely to remove that link and post the recipe down at the bottom. Another one of those senior moments. Sorry, Admin. Barb's link does work. Here's the recipe:

Jen's Splendid GF Bake Mix:

12/3 cups almond flour
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum

Last edited by buttoni; 01-20-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
OMG, I forgot completely to remove that link and post the recipe down at the bottom. Another one of those senior moments. Sorry, Admin. Barb's link does work.
Hee hee....who's Barb?

Now I have to confess something, because I want you to know that I don't really care what you call me (assuming that you meant my link works....)

I got notice of your new reply and my email mentioned:

Peggy's Sliced Bread

And I thought....."Who's PIGGY? and who would ever take a name like that on a diet message board?"
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dang, it's before my second cup of coffee again, Georgene! I've got to quit getting on this computer so early in the morning as teh synapses just aren't awake yet then. LOL My apologies again. How embarrassing. And a lousy typist on top of that!

Last edited by buttoni; 01-20-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dang, it's before my second cup of coffee again, Georgene! I've got to quit getting on this computer so early in the morning. My apologies again. How embarrassing. And a lousy typist on top of that!
Speaking of coffee...yeah, that sounds good. Don't worry about it - I think it's funny. With a name like mine, I got used to being called all sorts of things a LONG time ago!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, my Mom had MCI and now it has progressed to full-blown dementia. When I do dumb stuff like this, I always say to myself: "The literature would indicate there's a definite genetic factor with dementia and Alzheimers". I live in fear of that knowledge. But Daddy didn't have it, thank God. I take a bunch of known proactive supplements they say helps ward off and even treat dementia. Wonder if maybe I need to take MORE! LOL
Old 01-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Peggy - when I first did gluten free back in the early 90's, I picked up a cookbook called The Gluten Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. These were the (relatively) "early" days of gluten-free baking and this cookbook attempted to replicate the much missed texture of wheat-based foods I had come to miss.

At the beginning of the breads chapter, she posts a note: "Do you need to avoid yeast? If so, please know that yeast may be omitted from all but the sourdough recipes in this book. Other leavening, not the yeast, is responsible for most of the "rise" in these recipes. Yeast is used primarily for flavor."

After trying a few recipes, her technique was to dissolve the yeast in the liquid of the recipe and then she just combined it with the dry ingredients. Seems easy enough and if all you're after is the 'taste', might be worth trying.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Seems like to me that one of the best things you can do to ward off dementia/Alzheimer's is to eat low carb....which, of course, is what you are doing.
We all just do the best we can! I am sure you are, too!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, Georgene, I'm doing all the things the literature would indicate helps both before and after onset. I don't smoke either, another known negative in an AD scenario, and socialize and stay mentally active (on forums, with my website, and in numerous other ways around the house), all good activities for those folks.

Thanks for your comments, RVcook. I've added yeast to breads before a couple times just for flavor, like your reference mentions and the flavor does come through if you get the right amount. I'm definitely going to try some yeast in this bread next go 'round. I'm so pleased with the texture of this one.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-20-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
...Thanks for your comments, RVcook. I've added yeast to breads before a couple times just for flavor, like your reference mentions and the flavor does come through if you get the right amount. I'm definitely going to try some yeast in this bread next go 'round. I'm so pleased with the texture of this one.
The recipes that I used in the book worked out great, but given that there is not a lot of 'liquid' in your recipe, it would definitely take a little 'fiddling.'
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
This looks incredible!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Going to make this now...
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I hope you like it, Carolyn. Let me know how it comes out for you.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #23

Just came out of the oven..Tastes great. Unfortunately, my jelly roll pan was smaller than the measurements and it was hard for me to get it even..I cut them into 6 squares, then
cut them diagonally for 12 triangles..I'm going to use this for "toast" in the am..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm. Don't be surprised if it doesn't toast well. I find most of the quick breads I've done don't toast too well and I'm convinced it's the egg in them that impedes nice toasting.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #25

Thanks, Peggy..Warmed up is nice, so the butter will melt.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Yum, this bread looks really good. Must try it some day soon. I made kevinpa's Simple White Bread with Oat and it's been in the frig now about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. and it doesn't look like it has risen any. I hope it doesn't flop but bread is not really my thing to make. Am hoping it takes off soon and rises. Has anyone else made this bread and has it risen ok in the frig for you? Seems weird to put it in the frig to rise.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can't tell you how many times (probably 10-11) I tried various low-carb yeast breads last year, including a couple Kevin's Simple White Bread. All real flops. Really didn't like the taste of the odd ingredients; didn't get good rise either. Read through all the lengthy threads and couldn't get a decent result AT ALL. But I've never been great making yeast bread, so that's nothing new really.

I really don't like wasting ingredients, so I'm just sticking with quick breads these days. And this is the best non-yeast bread that's like a plain white bread that I've done so far.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Can't tell you how many times (probably 10-11) I tried various low-carb yeast breads last year, including a couple Kevin's Simple White Bread. All real flops. Really didn't like the taste of the odd ingredients; didn't get good rise either. Read through all the lengthy threads and couldn't get a decent result AT ALL. But I've never been great making yeast bread, so that's nothing new really.

I really don't like wasting ingredients, so I'm just sticking with quick breads these days. And this is the best non-yeast bread that's like a plain white bread that I've done so far.

Well, I am soooo aggravated as this bread I made has not risen at all. I took it out of the frig for the last hour and put it in a warm oven to see if it is going to do anything but just sit there and look at me. I despise wasting all these ingredients and taking all that time to make it and nothing!! And my yeast was fairly new too so I don't think that was it. I even weighed my flours, etc. so I would get the same recipe as Kevin did. I cannot understand how his came out perfect every time and mine flops. Ugh! And I had such high hopes for his recipe. I wish someone would play with Jennifer Eloff's Whole Grain Bread recipe and see if they can find a way to use a lot less VWG so it is not so chewy. That bread has a wonderful flavor and it came out perfect in my bread maker but it was just a little too chewy for me. I wonder if I substitute the VWG for WPI8000 if that would help it any. I'd love to find a good low-carb recipe I could make in my bread maker and that was a no fail recipe.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Well I have to say this bread I made with kevinpa's recipe turned out wonderful. I finally took it out of the frig and put it in a warmed oven and just let it raise naturally and it finally rose enough and I baked it. Delicious and texture was just like the high carb version. There was just a very slight tang in it but hardly noticeable at all. I just had a hot piece with butter and SC jelly. Very yummy.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
I just pulled this bread out of the oven & cooled it for 10 min & cut in 12 pieces. Had to taste it & it was great! Wow! Next time I'll try the Foccacia Sheet Bread.
Thanks for the recipe.

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote