Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Blackberry Flax Muffins

I whipped these up after lunch today from some plump blackberries I bought this week. They came out real good. You could also make this up as a loaf.

Blackberries are sure plentiful in my local stores lately and they're coming down in price some, too. These are a pleasant change from the strawberry, raspberry or blueberry muffins I usually make. These could also be made with some drained crushed pineapple or mashed banana, if you’re to the “other fruits” rung yet. The recipe, as written, is not acceptable until the nuts and berries rung of the OWL ladder. If made up as a loaf in a greased loaf pan, this will take about 40 minutes to cook.

INGREDIENTS:

5 T. unsalted butter, melted
5 large eggs, beaten
6 T. cream
20 drops liquid Splenda (10 drops if you use the tiny bottle that is more concentrated)
4-5 pkts. stevia
1 T. granular erythritol (optional, to sprinkle on tops of muffins)
1 c. blackberries, coarsely cut up
½ c. almond flour
1 c. flax meal (I use a mixture of dark and golden)
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 T. oat fiber
2½ tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Melt butter in large bowl. Beat in the 5 eggs. Add cream and liquid Splenda. Stir well. Measure and add in all the dry ingredients and stir to blend. Fold berries gently into batter but do not over work them or they will turn your batter dark. Line with paper or grease 12 muffin cups. Using ¼ c. measuring cup as a scooper, scoop ¼ c. batter into each cup. Use up any remaining batter evenly in the 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with the tablespoon of granular erythritol if using. Pop into preheated 350º oven and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch in the centers. These should freeze well.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 muffins, each contains:

183 calories
16 g fat
6.74 g carbs, 4.87 g fiber, 1.87 g NET CARBS
5.73 g protein
133 mg potassium
140 mg sodium
14% RDA Vitamin A, 12% B12, 10% calcium, 18% copper, 17% iron, 14% magnesium, 19% manganese, 18.5% phosphorous, 11% riboflavin, 14% selenium, 16% thiamin, 9% zinc

Last edited by buttoni; 01-14-2012 at 11:36 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
I bought some Swerve sweetener recently and would like to use that in this recipe. Am I right in thinking your sweeteners amount to a cup of sugar equivalency? (Swerve substitutes 1 for 1.)
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know nothing about Swerve. But no, this is not the equivalent of a cup of sugar. 20 drops of EZSweets liquid sucralose on my bottle says it's equivalents to 20 tsp. of sugar or 6T.+2tsp. Each packet of my Spring Valley stevia extract (with filler) is equal to a tsp. of sugar. And the 1T. of erythritol is slightly less sweet than 1T. sugar. So my recipe has more like about 9T. sugar or a little over 1/2 cup. I'd start with that amount of Swerve equivalent and bake one batch to see if that's to your liking.

I find you really just have to experiment with sweeteners in recipes, as every one is different and everyone's taste is different. It's all about trial and error to get it as sweet as YOU like. I've found every dessert I bake isn't sweet enough for me on first baking. It usually takes a second and sometimes a third trial before I get a recipe just as sweet as I like without getting it TOO sweet.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-18-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
Peggy, thanks for steering me away from the one cup equivalent. I know it takes trial and error, but I've had way too many errors and since some of these sweeteners are so expensive, I hate to get it so wrong it's inedible. Which I've done!
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sure thing! Man, I've had my share of sweetener errors, too, JLx. I suspect we've all worn those shoes a time or two. And I still, after 3 years of using them, have the occasional sweetener disaster, where a muffin/cake tastes like I didn't put any sweetener in it at all!! So feel free to learn right along with the rest of us, my dear.