Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peppered Rib Roast (or other cuts)

We love to do this for Christmas dinner, because we are usually turkey-and-stuffing’ed out by then. This has been my family's favorite beef recipe for many, many years now:

This recipe was originally for an 8 lb. boneless rib roast for large gatherings, which will serve 12-16 nice servings with some leftover for the most delicious cold roast beef sandwiches you ever had. I do not recommend reheating this meat, as the marinate gets strong, almost bitter upon reheating.

In the beginning, I only made this roast for large dinner parties and holidays. Not because it was hard to make, but because that’s when I tend to serve rib roasts. But I realized this marinade could be used on other cuts of beef. More often now I do it for a 3-4 lb. rib roast, or sometimes just use a lean chuck or sirloin roast or individual steaks. It’s a wonderful marinade and sure is Atkins friendly, just not Induction friendly, because of the wine. Leaving out the wine just isn’t an option for this recipe to be successful, so wait until the OWL phase for this wonderful dish.

MARINADE INGREDIENTS:

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 c. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 c. dry red wine (I usually use burgundy or claret)
1 T. tomato paste
1½ T. coarse ground black pepper (enough to entirely coat meat)

DIRECTIONS: Pound the coarse ground black pepper over all surfaces of an 8 rib roast using the butt of your palm. Use less if doing a small piece of meat; more if a larger piece. You want a nice coating of pepper on all areas of the surface. Mix marinade in a large glass or plastic pan. Place papper-coated meat into the marinade. I drizzle marinate over the meat with a basting brush every hour (as often as you can remember to stop and do it) most of a day (6-8 hours). Do not touch the meat with your brush, or you’ll wipe/wash all the pepper off! Hold it over the meat and let it drip off the brush. When surface is soaked, put in refrigerator loosely tented with foil or waxed paper to marinate. Baste hourly until ready to cook, but at least 6 hours.

COOKING: I'll tell you up front this recipe is simply NOT good done in the oven! Been there; done that, not good....period. It’s the marriage with charcoal smoke that makes this recipe divine. You charcoal the 8 lb. rib roast for about 2 hours over medium charcoal fire, using a rotary spit. If you don’t have one, like me, just turn the meat every half hour to sear all surfaces. Best if not cooked past medium-medium rare stage. I take mine off at 120º degrees on my meat thermometer and set is on my cutting board for another 10 minutes. A piece of meat this large will continue to climb to around 140º while setting. That’s usually a nice pink medium rare inside.

If doing chuck roast or individual rib steaks with this, cook a 3-4 lb. chuck about 20 minutes on a side for medium rare. Cook the steaks as you usually would.

This is a most unusual taste when grilled outside and truly THIS IS NOT GOOD AT ALL COOKED INDOORS. It always gets the WOWS when served. Hope you folks will try it! I think you won’t be sorry you did! The outside slices are so good we always fight over them at my house.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:

The marinade is discarded when you cook the meat. No further basting should be done while cooking. Therefore calculating how much is consumed becomes difficult. It would also be impossible for me to know how many servings you are able to get out of your roast. So I’m providing the totals for the entire batch of marinade and you will have to see how much it makes and how much is left in the pan before discarding to determine roughly how much is staying on the meat and thus consumed by how many people you are serving. Most of the sauce goes down the drain, to be perfectly honest, so you’re getting mostly sodium from the soy sauce and a few carbs from the wine and tomato paste (a little more if you get the end slices). The figures below DO NOT INCLUDE THE MEAT.

Entire batch marinade (most of which is not consumed) contains:

131 calories
.7 g. fat
18 g. carbs
4.6 g. fiber
5.5 g. protein
approx. 1070 mg. sodium
15.4 NET CARBS

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
What a beautiful recipe!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
It truly has a unique flavor, Linny. I have some lovely, thick ribeye steaks in the freezer I plan to marinate in this soon.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote