Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cauliflower mac n cheese? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/753326-cauliflower-mac-n-cheese.html)

PoWdA 01-12-2012 02:19 PM

Cauliflower mac n cheese?

Anyone heard of this/have recipes? I ate at a gluten free restaurant a few months back and one item on the menu was a cauliflower mac n cheese. Basically, instead of noodles the recipe used cauliflower and it was amazing!

Does anyone know of a recipe like this or something similar?

clackley 01-12-2012 02:22 PM

I love cauli and mac and this recipe is fabulous. It is from Cleo' site (The Lighter Side and well worth browsing)....

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole
Ingredients
• Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
• 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
• butter for greasing cooking dish
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 ounces cream cheese , cut into small pieces
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar , plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
• Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Iwantlessofme 01-12-2012 08:37 PM

Oh my gosh, that sounds fantastic. Thank you, now I am drooooling all over the place.:)

zipp2play 01-13-2012 05:41 AM

I do one that is awesome.

Ingredients:

2 bags frozen cauli
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup HWC
2 T dijon mustard
1 cup shredded cheese (type of your choice)
Seasoning as desired

I cook the cauli till tend, then cut up to the size I want. THen in a sauce pan bring HWC to a rolling boil, once @ rolling boil add in cream cheese (cut up in squares) and mustard. Stir until melted then add the shredded cheese. Continue till all melted. Then combine the cauli and cheese mixture in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 4-5 minutes until nice and bubble. Serve immediately.

I enjoy adding chicken or whatever protein I have available and eating it in a bowl as my meal! LOVE IT! So does DH!

PoWdA 01-13-2012 07:46 AM

Loving the suggestions!

graciejean 01-13-2012 08:11 AM

What does the mustard do to the recipe ?

PoWdA 01-13-2012 10:49 AM

I am considering an experiment here. Pretty much using a roasted cauliflower recipe and adding cheese and cream cheese and seeing what comes out. Pretty much using the "cauli mac n cheese" recipes listed here but instead of boiling the cauliflower bake it so it has that just right texture. I am currently on a mission to re-create the awesomeness I ate at this gluten free restaurant we have here in Denver.

I will win, oh yes I will win :agree:

zipp2play 01-13-2012 11:16 AM

Mustard gives it a bit of pep! I love it. I actually put more than what it calls for!

zipp2play 01-13-2012 11:16 AM

Let us know how the roasted cauli goes!

Nikki2777 01-20-2012 09:35 PM

zipp2play,

That sounds easy and wonderful. Thanks.

Nikki

lynnport 01-21-2012 02:49 PM

Quick and easy. Steam your cauliflower and add Ragu Double Cheddar sauce. The sauce has 3 carbs in 1/4 cup (7 servings in a jar). I usually use about 3/4 of a jar on a 20 oz. bag of steamed cauliflower.

sawilson 01-22-2012 09:58 PM

Absolutely perfect.

This recipe was fantastic! Made it tonight trying to find something to take away my craving for mac n cheese and this did the job... Saw this recipe on the Dr Oz show and thought I'd give it a shot, it's the exact recipe and is so worth the effort. Even my wife and daughter (neither on low carb) LOVED it. Will DEFINTELY make it again..... and again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 15322058)
I love cauli and mac and this recipe is fabulous. It is from Cleo' site (The Lighter Side and well worth browsing)....

Ingredients
• 1 cup heavy cream
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

clackley 01-23-2012 05:47 AM

I believe the recipe is from the 'Ligher side' a.k.a. Cleo. My son has always claimed to hate cauliflower but this recipe converted him - he loves it too!!!

CarolynF 01-23-2012 06:55 AM

We are having ribs on Wed. night..LCing son is coming over..I am making this to go with it..He will love it.

Barbo 01-24-2012 04:09 PM

Fabulous Recipe

Thanks mucho.

Sometimes I cook 4 oz. of Dreamfield's macaroni,
and add it in and make a 9x13" dish of this.

To me this is ultimate comfort food.

somethingblue2u 01-25-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Ingredients
• 1 cup heavy cream
Directions

I made this last night. It is delicious!

Kaizen 01-25-2012 09:28 AM

Don't forget the cauliflower pizza crust recipies too! I have made a couple of versions and they are VERY popular even with family members who are not veggie eaters. Pizza is right up there for me with the comfort food needs like mac & cheese.

CarolynF 01-25-2012 05:26 PM

I made Clackley's recipe tonight with ribs..MY goodness, it was extremely nommie.

Brendajm 01-25-2012 05:30 PM

Do you think almond milk would work instead of cream?

CarolynF 01-25-2012 05:33 PM

Hmm..that cream makes it rich and thick, Brenda. If I used something else, like almond milk or even half and half, I would use about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup instead of the whole cup of cream.

Librarygirl 10-01-2012 04:41 PM

Got this in the oven!!! Gonna go great with tenderloins! :)

Barbo 10-01-2012 04:56 PM

Having this Macaroni/Cauli Bake

as my luncheon side dish with grilled brats, knocks, and other
smoked sausage along with spinach souffle and mango/pineapple
fruit cup for non LC guests. Can hardly wait until Wed. birthday
party here. I am serving the Pumpkin Pecan Bundt cake frosted
as birthday cake. Ah it's fall again....

shopgirl 10-11-2012 07:29 AM

These all sound delicious!

lene 11-05-2012 01:47 PM

I made the recipe as posted in post 2 as the side dish for supper last night, and it was a smash hit with all of us! I used two heads of cauliflower and just doubled the whole recipe, although I think I ended up mixing in more cheese than stated, because we're cheese freaks. I baked it in a huge pan, and we have leftovers that I will be using as the basis for a ham and cheesey cauliflower casserole tonight by chopping up some ham into the leftovers and heating it all through. There will likely be enough left over after that for Jeff to take to work for lunch one or two days -- I love making a double batch of something and getting two or three meals out of it, don't you?

Anyway, very happy I found this recipe! It was great, and I'll be making it often.

Librarygirl 11-08-2012 08:13 AM

Yes that sounds so good lene!! I do love having leftovers to take for lunch the next day(s)!

Susanpmi 07-09-2013 03:20 PM

Made this casserole for my 19 year old daughter who is trying low carb for the first time after sneering at my special meals for many years. She is sold.

lazy girl 07-09-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Ingredients
• 1 cup heavy cream
Directions

I got this recipe from George Stella's site this weekend and made it. It was really good and the dijon gave it just the slightest tart taste. Will be making this again very soon.

clackley 07-09-2013 05:59 PM

It has become a family favorite!

EssBee 09-12-2013 12:48 PM

I gotta make this!

erinmarie 09-13-2013 06:22 AM

Had guests ( non lc) for dinner last night and was busy socializing so I made a lazy version... I cut cauliflower and sautéed in a bit of butter, garlic salt and cracked pepper... Then added a bit of cream cheese and hwc... Mixed in some ham bits, jack and cheddar then threw in a microwaveable bowl an nuked for 7 min... They were scraping the bowl lol. My high carb friends literally rave over my food... Lol. It makes me wonder why they cling to the extra weight and carby diets lol