Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Ambrosia Cookies

I came across a recipe last year that sounded like an interesting base for a lot of cookie variations, so I finally got around to playing around with it this morning. Made a lot of "flour" bulking additions, changed the vanilla/cinnamon to pineapple flavoring so the predominant flavors coming through would be FRUIT and not spice. The result was delicious!

I got the idea for these cookies from a recipe I saw some time ago on the Civilized Caveman Cooking website called Apple Banana Cookies. That Paleo recipe has, of course, no flour substitutes or grain and used egg alone to bind the ingredients together. I have added in several dry ingredients to give these babies a little more body, changed the oil, cut way back on cinnamon and used a totally different extract to create this soft but dense, cake-like Ambrosia Cookie.

Everyone’s sweetness preference is different. The first half of these I cooked, with erythritol only, were not sweet enough for me. Adding in some stevia on the second batch that went into the oven really helped, in my opinion. So I’ve incorporated that into my recipe. Those of you who don’t like a very sweet cookie, you may want to leave the stevia out entirely. Due to the real banana, these are not acceptable until the OTHER FRUITS rung of the OWL ladder of Atkins. Note: Most of my unusual ingredients I order from Netrition.com.

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 T. pineapple extract (I used Superior Products brand)
1 medium (7″) banana, mashed
1 c. fresh coconut meat, grated (or dried, unsweetened)
4 eggs
¼ c. flax meal
2 T. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1 T. polydextrose
½ c. erythritol
3-4 pkts. stevia
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Dash salt
1 c. walnuts, coarsely ground
1 c. almonds, coarsely ground

DIRECTIONS: Process or chop almonds and walnuts until coarse and place in large mixing bowl. Process or grate coconut and add to the bowl. Beat in the eggs, mashed banana and all other wet ingredients. Next measure all dry ingredients into the bowl. Stir to blend batter well. Chill 15 minutes while oven preheats. Preheat oven to 350º. You can either use ungreased non-stick cookie sheets, parchment-lined or one lined with silicone. Either using a 1¼” cookie scoop or a spoon, make 1¼” balls of dough spaced fairly close together on your pans (these don’t spread much). Slightly press each ball a couple times with a fork to slightly flatten them, but not too much. Bake at 350º for 18-22 minutes (ovens will vary, but mine took 22 min) until just browned ever so slightly around the edges. Cool a couple minutes and remove from pans to a cloth, board or rack to cool and make the remainder of the cookies in a similar manner. These should freeze well, but as with all baked goods, they should be eaten within a month.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 40 cookies. Each cookie contains:

68.75 calories
5.86 g fat
3.01 g carbs, 1.61 g fiber, 1.4 NET CARBS
2.15 g protein
12.6 mg sodium
70 mg potassium
12.5% RDA copper and 14% manganese

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, that calorie count should read 68.75.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Fixed it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
That sounds delish Peggy.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dottie!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
They look wonderful!!

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They got more moist as the day wore on. Guess that's moisture from the fresh coconut and apple coming through like the moisture that bleeds out in zucchini bread from the zucchini. Maybe I should use dessicated coconut next time to reduce that effect. Don't want them to get too moist. We'll see how they are tomorrow on moisture.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
bumping
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Unsweetened Coconut

What is the grated size of most people's unsweetened coconut? I got some at the health food store and it is very tiny pieces. Actually doesn't even look much like you would imagine grated coconut to look. I think that is why some of the things I've made with it have not turned out the right texture. It's so small it's almost like a flour. Where can you get regular size grated coconut that is unsweetened? Maybe I have the disiccated kind?? I cannot remember what it said on the bin when I got it. But it is more dry than moist.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda, the dessicated I've bought has been real fine like you describe. I've bought that type at both Asian grocery stores and on-line from wherever I can find the best deal on the unsweet. Don't remember where I ordered mine from last, to be quite honest. But what I used in these particular cookies was some fresh coconut meat I shelled and froze a couple months ago. I just ran the chunks through my food processor until it was chopped up about like Baker's sweet coconut you see in regular grocery stores, but it was definitely coarser than the dessicated unsweet I've been able to get.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Where can I buy pineapple extract? They don't carry it in any of my local stores. I did a search on Netrition and no luck.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Widg, you could try the NaturesFlavors website. Surely the LorAnn folks make one. I have an old bottle of McCormick I'm using up, so you could check out their website as well maybe?

BTW, I just posted what I think you will find to be an even better recipe for chewy cookies than this one (at least I think it's a much chewier recipe), over on the other thread you posted asking for a basic cookie dough.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
I'm glad to hear McCormick makes it. I live a couple of blocks from Schnuck's, and they are good about ordering items they don't carry in the store. They do carry McCormick products, so I'll see if they will order some for me. I want to make pineapple flavored whoopie pies. Thanks for the help.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Widget look on the top shelf. That's where I found pineapple , orange and raspberry. I prefer others but I was in a pinch I look everywhere and a clerk told me up on top.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote