Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Faux Marshmallow Fluff

First I want to thank Beeb/Linda for posting her Condensed milk recipe. Without it I would never have discovered this faux marshmallow fluff. I was tweaking her recipe, and came up with this quite different recipe. Thanks Beeb!! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ble-cream.html

Faux Marshmallow Fluff by Billie

7 1/2 oz (about, just under 8 oz, but I think you could use 7 or 8) heavy cream (whipping cream)
2/3 cup equivalent sweetener (Not sure if I used that much, but need to!) (I used a blend of Erythritol & stevia)
1 TBsp Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I used Body Fortress)
1/4 tsp Glucomannan (I think this is what gave it the texture similar to marshmallow fluff)
Vanilla
1 tsp Vanilla or French Vanilla DaVinci (I've read someone say that when they made marshmallow fluff they used the French Vanilla to achieve a taste similar to Marshmallows)

I cooked this in a 2 cup microwave safe glass measuring cup (a bigger one would be nice). I cooked for 1 min & stirred. Put back in & set for 1 min again, but had to stop a few times & stir down. Put on for another minute, and did the same. (Cook until fairly thick) (You can cook this on top of the stove, stirring until desired thickness.)

I'm not sure how much sweetener I ended up using (not quite enough tho), but I started out with 2 TBsp Erythritol, 1/16th tsp pure Stevia Extract, & 2 drops Sweetzfree (I may have even added a little more, sorry I can't remember now, but it did need some more of something.)
While still quite warm, it looked like 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cup, but when it had cooled down, it was about 1 cup.

For small batch I did:

4 oz cream
1 TBsp Erythritol
1/32 tsp Stevia (pure extract)
1 drop Sweetzfree
1/2 TBsp Vanilla Whey Protein pwd
1 tsp vanilla DaVinci
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/16 tsp Gluccomannan

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
So what do you do with it?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Good question Tilly. Wish I had a better answer than I do. But,,,,

Well, I have put it in LC hot chocolate (like you would marshmallows, if you used to do that.... or even if you never have, you might try it. ). I've used it as a frosting/icing on the cinnamon roll/danish.

Someone asked about (another post) making rice crispy treats using low carb cereal. I wasn't sure, but I do think it might work. Add the cereal (or T.S.P. - Textured Soy Protein or similar product == TVP?) while the "fluff" is still warm. I haven't tried this, but think it just might work.

I'm thinking pretty much what you would use Marshmallow Fluff for. If you never used it, then not sure what else to tell you. Maybe others might have thoughts.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-27-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
There are fudge recipes using the regular fluff. Perhaps they could be low carbed.

How about a fluffer nutter sammy? Ya know peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on lc bread.

Do you think it would work like frosting on cookies or brownies or cake?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and you could make smores with lc chocolate and lc cookies...saw a regular recipe just now for smore pies...I suppose it you have perfected a pocket pie crust, then you could make smore pies.....yum!!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
There are fudge recipes using the regular fluff. Perhaps they could be low carbed.

How about a fluffer nutter sammy? Ya know peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on lc bread.

Do you think it would work like frosting on cookies or brownies or cake?
The fudge recipe low carbed, just might work with this. I'm not sure. I'm thinking it would.
Depending on how long you cooked it (and how thick you let it get) it would definitely work in the fluffer nutter sammy, and as a frosting on cookies or brownies or cake.
The first time I made it, I got it much too thick (cooked too long) to do any of that. But I made some the other day, cooked it less time, it it would work well for those. I used it to "frost" some of the danishes (or whatever I made).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
and you could make smores with lc chocolate and lc cookies...saw a regular recipe just now for smore pies...I suppose it you have perfected a pocket pie crust, then you could make smore pies.....yum!!
Yep, should work for that too!
Thanks Nigel!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Pocket Pies

Here is a pocket, Nigel.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I think this would be a great filling for Whoopie Pies. I've got some marshmallow flavoring oil for Lorann's so I might try using it.

I agree that the glucomannan is what gives it that marshmallow fluff consistency. I've gotten that type consistency in some recipes where it wasn't wanted and was a bit off-putting and was caused by using too much glucomannan but I did think it would would work in a faux marshmallow fluff recipe so that's why I ordered the Lorann's. I've just not had the time to try it with my father being ill and with all the holiday going-on's.

I really think glucomannan is some great stuff and there's a whole world of recipes out there to be developed.

Thanks for the recipe!

Pam
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I think there is a lot of recipes you could make with this stuff.

Like a chocolate silk pie with fluff on top for a birthday or special occasion.

How about a cookie bottom, fluff, then covered in chocolate. Wow that sounds yummy.

Many possibilities.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Pam, it is. That marshmallow flavoring would be great in this. And I 2nd that on the Woopie Pie filling. I was thinking of that myself.

Oh, and your ideas should great too Esther!!

Every time I make this, it turns out a little different. I haven't quite got the Glucc proportions worked out yet, and timing! It gets thicker as it cools, and while I know that, I tend to cook too long. I had gotten it just right the last time I made it, but used it up last night. Made another batch this morning, and it isn't quite as good. Not bad mind you, but not as good, and a little too thick again. It will be good in hot chocolate tho, & I think I can use it for other things (frostings, fillings, etc.) still. I used quite a bit of vanilla (besides the DaVinci) today too, & it isn't as pretty & white. So guess if you want white, you need to go with all DaVinci or use some clear vanilla. But right now, I'm not worried about the color. So it's good!

Hope you will like it, and post what you come up with.

(Sweeten to taste, and with whatever sweeteners you like!)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think I have ever eaten the HC fluff. I know it is sticky and sweet. Does it taste like a marshmellow or more like frosting? If more like frosting how about a topping for this?: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ake-w-pic.html

Man, just like a ho ho, now THOSE I have inhaled (probably box and all!!!! ) as a kid.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I don't think I have ever eaten the HC fluff. I know it is sticky and sweet. Does it taste like a marshmellow or more like frosting? If more like frosting how about a topping for this?: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ake-w-pic.html

Man, just like a ho ho, now THOSE I have inhaled (probably box and all!!!! ) as a kid.
Tilly, Marshmallow fluff is basically marshmallow cream that isn't as thick as marshmallow, and not made into the puffs & rolled in pwd sugar. It is put in a jar instead. This (at least to me! Other's MMV) tastes to me like marshmallows. But at the same time could be a frosting. I think it would be a very good topping for that cake. Matter of fact, Ive' been thinking tonight of making "my" flourless 3 min cake" (tweaked CarolynF's recipe) & using some of this for a frosting. If you make it, just be sure you don't cook it too long. It thickens quite a bit as it cools.

Nigel, I ha a Chocolate chip fluffer nutter sammy cookie today!! Took 2 of Jen's chocolate chip cookies (gf recipe), spread peanut butter on one, and the fluff on the other, and sandwiched together. Yum!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Tilly, Marshmallow fluff is basically marshmallow cream that isn't as thick as marshmallow, and not made into the puffs & rolled in pwd sugar. It is put in a jar instead. This (at least to me! Other's MMV) tastes to me like marshmallows. But at the same time could be a frosting. I think it would be a very good topping for that cake. Matter of fact, Ive' been thinking tonight of making "my" flourless 3 min cake" (tweaked CarolynF's recipe) & using some of this for a frosting. If you make it, just be sure you don't cook it too long. It thickens quite a bit as it cools.

Nigel, I ha a Chocolate chip fluffer nutter sammy cookie today!! Took 2 of Jen's chocolate chip cookies (gf recipe), spread peanut butter on one, and the fluff on the other, and sandwiched together. Yum!
Can you please overnight express one or two of those over here to Virginia?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Me Too! Me Too!

Ovenite to WA.

I was wondering about the gluc. Could it be used to stablize merigue (spelled wrong) for pie. I've never used it so now I have to get some.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Esther, I'm not sure, but I think it can be used to stabilize the meringue. You need to be very careful when adding it, and sprinkle it in very slowly while beating the egg white. It seems like someone has talked about using it in meringue's, but I'm not sure. If you can use xanthan gum, Thicken Thin, or such, you could use Glucomannan. It wouldn't take much. I also would recommend Konjac Glucomannan. Netrition carries it, and I haven't seen a better price (especially if you are ordering other things at the same time).
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Billie. That's on my list for my Netrition order along with oat fiber. I'll be making it soon.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post

***drool*** lucky you
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
This looks very interesting to try
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I've made a Marshmallow Fluff recipe a couple times for fluffernutter sandwiches. Also used with cream cheese frosting/filling for whoopie pies and cream rolls. Here's the recipe I've used:

8 ounces sugar (1 cup) (1/2 c. E, 1/2 c. X or any equivalent combo of sweeteners) (I think I also added a bit of Stevia extract)
4 ounces egg whites (1/2 cup)
Dash of vanilla extract

Preparation

For the fluff, over a double boiler heat the sugar and egg whites together until extremely hot to the touch, dissolving the sugar and pasteurizing the whites. Whip with a hand mixer on high speed until cool. Reserve in a bowl. Use immediately or store in covered container in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

I used the refrigerated carton of egg whites. I used clear vanilla extract but regular vanilla would be fine. I also sprinkled a little xanthan gum powder over the mixture when it was already thickened, just to stabilize it, and mixed it in. I put mine in a glass canning jar with plastic screw-top lid and store in fridge. I really tastes like the fluff I remember. It may break down a little when kept for a long period (I've kept up to a month) but I just stir it up and it's still fluff.

I really don't remember where I got the recipe, seems like it was Sara Moulton's. Of course, she used plain ole' white sugar!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-08-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I've made a Marshmallow Fluff recipe a couple times for fluffernutter sandwiches. Also used with cream cheese frosting/filling for whoopie pies and cream rolls. Here's the recipe I've used:

8 ounces sugar (1 cup) (1/2 c. E, 1/2 c. X or any equivalent combo of sweeteners) (I think I also added a bit of Stevia extract)
4 ounces egg whites (1/2 cup)
Dash of vanilla extract

Preparation

For the fluff, over a double boiler heat the sugar and egg whites together until extremely hot to the touch, dissolving the sugar and pasteurizing the whites. Whip with a hand mixer on high speed until cool. Reserve in a bowl. Use immediately or store in covered container in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

I used the refrigerated carton of egg whites. I used clear vanilla extract but regular vanilla would be fine. I also sprinkled a little xanthan gum powder over the mixture when it was already thickened, just to stabilize it, and mixed it in. I put mine in a glass canning jar with plastic screw-top lid and store in fridge. I really tastes like the fluff I remember. It may break down a little when kept for a long period (I've kept up to a month) but I just stir it up and it's still fluff.

I really don't remember where I got the recipe, seems like it was Sara Moulton's. Of course, she used plain ole' white sugar!
So do you need a stand mixer to beat something till it is cool?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Skeeter - I just use a hand mixer. For a double boiler, I just put a bowl over at pan of water (don't have a regular double boiler) so I mix it in the same bowl. It takes a bit longer than it would if you put it into another cooler bowl once heated, but why bother to dirty two bowls?!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #22

I think I wish you lived closer so I could watch you
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I think I wish you lived closer so I could watch you
Me too, Skeeter! Go ahead and give it a try, I know you can do it! The first time I tried I only made 1/2 the recipe so 1/2 cup sweetener and 1/4 cup egg white, a splash of vanilla. I figured if it didn't work out I wasn't out that much.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, it's been a heck of a day!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I made Tweaker Geeks's version today and had a fluffernutter on almond bread!! It's so good!! It was really easy to make, I followed Tweakers instructions and I used xanthan gum to stablize it too. I also added a couple of drops of marshmallow flavored capella drops. It's not sticky and stretchy like fluff but it's light and fluffy and taste just like it!!

Next time I will try Billie's recipe!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina - I'm so glad you tried it - isn't it nice to have a fluffernutter?! I may have to look into the capella flavorings. I have toasted marshmallow DaVinci syrup but don't know if I could just put in a dash of that leave out the vanilla. Obviously can't add much in the way of liquid and still have it whip up fluffy and thick.

Off topic -- I'm a Maine girl too!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-12-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
It's really good! Even my non low carb daughter liked it!!

Wow it's a small world! I'm in Southern Maine. Going to be a hot one today too!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Now I need somebody to come up with a killer peanut butter fudge recipe using this, please.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bump for Norsky.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I made this last night and it came out awesome
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
IN THE EARLY 1940'S

When I was a little girl. My mom made this with real sugar, and
vanilla and she called it "7 Minute Frosting" It was very popular
in those days to go atop and inside a devil's food layer cake.

One thing I remember is that there was something critical about
the recipe. I would hear her say oh shoot.It had to make beautiful
peaks on top of the cake.

Cleo posted a gorgeous devil's food by Candice Wong several days
ago and this would be a wonderful filling and topping.,
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote