Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GirlKickinIt
Stats: I can't get no...satisfaction!!
Start Date: 9/20/2001
I'd Love some Black Eyed Pea recipes!!

My Mom just Loves Black Eyed Peas, and I'd Love to make a Big batch for dinner on New Years. Neither my Husband Rob, nor I have ever had them.

Do any of you all have any Great recipes to share??

Thank you!!
GirlKickinIt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Being a southern girl all I do is start ham bone to boiling,add peas that have soaked in water,broth or both all night,cook til tender.You ''must'' have some corn bread and hot pepper vinager.Enjoy !
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you honeybuns!! I didn't realize the beans wanted soaking time. I'm so glad you mentioned this!!
We're baking up a big half ham that has a bone in it. Is that the sort of bone that you would use in your recipe?
I'm assuming your cooking on the stove top, and not a crock pot? About how long do you think I should plan to cook it for?
I'll have to look up the hot pepper vinager. I've never heard of that before!! Do you put that on your corn bread? I imagine there could be a lot of Great uses for that!!

Thank you again for sharing!!

Friday, Dec. 5th , 2014 = 182.5

Friday, Dec. 12th , 2014 =
Old 12-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm with honeybuns - the hambone is the key!

I do a "fast soak" - I put a pound (or more, if you want a huge batch) of blackeyed peas in a pot with plenty of water to cover, bring to a boil, cover and let stand at least an hour.

Meanwhile I put the hambone in a big stockpot, add a couple bay leaves, a few cloves of garlic, and a halved onion (skin and all) and bring to a boil, then let simmer til the meat falls off the hambone - a couple hours should do it.

Now drain the water off the beans, add the hambone stock to cover the beans, and let simmer til just about tender.

Meanwhile pick any good meat left in the stockpot and off the bone, you can add that to the beans when they're nearly done. Taste and adjust for seasonings - I usually add some Chipotle Tabasco, a few good dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a little more salt if it needs it (hickory smoked salt it excellent!).

I often use a 12 oz. beer in place of some of the water in cooking the hambone - it adds a nice flavor. Not essential though.

We eat ours with some quinoa and some boiled greens (the hambone stock is great for cooking those too!) on New Year's day - Hoppin' John is what it's called, although that is traditionally served with rice, not quinoa! It's supposed to bring you luck in the coming year!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Charski, Thank you soooooo much for sharing your ideas!! That looks very doable and so delish!! I'm totally going to give it a try!!
I bet my Mom is going to be head over heels with this. When she makes hers she just has it out of a can, as it's just her at her house, and she doesn't enjoy cooking that much.
I think she'll be blown away with the flavor!!
Thank you, Charski!!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
My grandmother couldn't serve black-eyed peas without "sweet tomatoes" on top. She used home canned but I just use a can of chopped tomatoes, add some raw onion and a packet of Splenda and cook about 30 minutes. Yummo! They are also good with salsa on top but I really love the sweetness of my grandma's recipe.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Black-Eyed Pea Soup

This seafood soup recipe actually started out in life as a Blackeyed Pea Soup recipe. It's one of the best soups I've ever made!! I just subbed in okra for the blackeyed peas in the original recipe to make it low-carb and added the seafood on a whim, making it more like a gumbo in the end. Just plug in 1 can of blackeyed peas for the okra and VOILA, you have one of the best soups ever!! You decide if you want to add in the seafood or not.

Shrimp-Fish Soup (modified Blackeyed Pea Soup)
July 13, 2009 by buttoni

This gumbo-like soup is very tasty and very filling. It’s a meal in itself and is definitely Induction friendly. It will make 2 large bowls as an entree or 4 small cups, for a separate course with some other entree like a baked fish.

INGREDIENTS:

1 oz. chopped yellow onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped celery
˝ cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
1 c. canned chicken broth
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. chopped smoked ham
6 medium, peeled shrimp (cut in half)
1 3-oz. fish filet cut into 1″ pieces
1/4 c. chopped greens of your choice (I've used turnip, radish, kale, & spinach to date)
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1/8 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp. gumbo file
10 drops Tobasco hot sauce OR two shakes of cayenne pepper
1/4 c. sliced okra added last 10 minutes of cooking
2 small chopped plum tomatoes

DIRECTIONS: Coat hot soup pot with the olive oil and saute the “Holy Trinity”, as they say in New Orleans (celery, bell pepper and onions, which they put in dang near everything they cook! ). Then add all other ingredients but the tomato and fish. Simmer low for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and cubed fish and simmer just until fish is opaque white and done. Slightly thicken with a very light dusting of xanthan gum, stirring constantly.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Entire Recipe contains:

Calories 206
10 g. fat
6.25 g. carbs, 2.3 g. fiber, 3.9 NET CARBS
23.2 g. protein

So 1 serving has around 1.9 net carbs

Last edited by buttoni; 12-28-2011 at 08:27 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote