Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cauliflower recipes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/750103-cauliflower-recipes.html)

PoWdA 12-21-2011 02:43 PM

Cauliflower recipes?

I recently ate at a place in Denver where they served a low carb cauliflower dish that reminded me of mac n cheese. I am searching the recipe room and not finding it. Honestly I am wanting to expand my horizons and cook with cauliflower as I have heard there are a lot of great options.

So... any good suggestions?

Glimmergirl 12-21-2011 03:22 PM

I make a recipe that I found on the Food Networks website for Cauliflower Mac & cheese that is really good. I don't think I can post the link but if google Cauliflower Mac & Cheese it should come up.

It's a really simple recipe and really really good!

rosethorns 12-21-2011 07:10 PM

Try this:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ly-old-bb.html

Linnylamb 12-21-2011 07:37 PM

My two all time favorites:

Linda Sue's JLSBP

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Dana Carpender's mushroom "risotto" from 15 Minute Low Carb Recipes. :yummy: You can find the recipe through Google.

PoWdA 12-22-2011 09:30 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! These all look great!

buttoni 12-22-2011 03:11 PM

Smoked Gouda Cauliflower

Smoked Gouda Cauliflower
November 14, 2009 by buttoni

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/282.jpg

This recipe was inspired by one in Dana Carpenderís 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Most people do not cook with this cheese and Iím finding it melts nicely and transforms what might be an ordinary dish into the sublime. In my opinion, it it the smoked Gouda truly sets this one apart from all the other cauliflower casseroles I have ever eaten. I served it to my brother who was once an executive chef and he raved about it! Induction friendly. Hereís the brand of smoked gouda I use in all my cooking (from Samís) It has 1 net carb per ounce:

INGREDIENTS:

1 medium large head cauliflower
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, grated
ľ tsp. coarse black pepper
Dash salt
Optional: chopped chives or green onion to top

DIRECTIONS: Cut up cauliflower into manageable pieces and boil until tender. Drain and mash slightly with a fork. Stir in softened cream cheese. Grease glass casserole dish and spoon half the cauliflower mixture in. Sprinkle with half the grated smoked Gouda. Spoon remaining cauliflower into dish and top with rest of Gouda cheese. Sprinkle with salt. Sometimes I add some chopped chives or green onion to the top, but this is not in the nutritional info below. Bake at 350ļ for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 6, each serving contains:

190.3 calories
15.22 g fat
6.17 g carbs
2.4 g fiber
3.77 g NET CARBS
8.77 g protein
312 mg sodium

PoWdA 12-22-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 15267922)
Smoked Gouda Cauliflower

This recipe was inspired by one in Dana Carpenderís 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Most people do not cook with this cheese and Iím finding it melts nicely and transforms what might be an ordinary dish into the sublime. In my opinion, it it the smoked Gouda truly sets this one apart from all the other cauliflower casseroles I have ever eaten. I served it to my brother who was once an executive chef and he raved about it! Induction friendly. Hereís the brand of smoked gouda I use in all my cooking (from Samís) It has 1 net carb per ounce:

INGREDIENTS:

Dash salt

DIRECTIONS: Cut up cauliflower into manageable pieces and boil until tender. Drain and mash slightly with a fork. Stir in softened cream cheese. Grease glass casserole dish and spoon half the cauliflower mixture in. Sprinkle with half the grated smoked Gouda. Spoon remaining cauliflower into dish and top with rest of Gouda cheese. Sprinkle with salt. Sometimes I add some chopped chives or green onion to the top, but this is not in the nutritional info below. Bake at 350ļ for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.

190.3 calories
15.22 g fat
6.17 g carbs
2.4 g fiber
3.77 g NET CARBS
8.77 g protein
312 mg sodium

looks EXCELLENT! I am going to give this one a shot I think!

litehousepat 12-22-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoWdA (Post 15267987)
looks EXCELLENT! I am going to give this one a shot I think!

I highly recommend it!!

Pat

bekki1 12-25-2011 09:38 PM

Buttoni, that looks amazing!

rosethorns 12-26-2011 12:35 AM

PEGGY THAT LOOKS DELISH.

buttoni 12-26-2011 01:56 PM

It's real rich. You won't be sorry if you try it, Esther.

graciejean 12-28-2011 06:20 PM

Buttoni you are simply amazeing!

buttoni 12-28-2011 06:23 PM

I have tons more cauliflower recipes on my site. Just type in "cauliflower" into the search box to call them up.

Brendajm 12-28-2011 07:02 PM

Is oat fiber like vital wheat gluten?

There r a few recipes I want to try but it calls for oat fiber. If not available locally is there anything else I can use? I am going to place a Netrition order but not for a week or two.

Yikes I posted this in the wrong place and I don't know how to delete.

ouizoid 12-28-2011 07:07 PM

tonight I roasted a ton of cauliflower in the oven, along with a diced hot link. Stirred a couple of times. When it was all brown and beautiful, I put it in a bowl with a couple of Tbs of tostitos salsa con queso. stirred together and devoured. Absolutely freakin' delicious!

Tilly 12-28-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15279252)
There r a few recipes I want to try but it calls for oat fiber. If not available locally is there anything else I can use? I am going to place a Netrition order but not for a week or two.

Yikes I posted this in the wrong place and I don't know how to delete.

:hyst: I started reading this and thought hmmmm, just saw this somewhere. :laugh:

tiva 12-28-2011 08:17 PM

I make a simple cauliflower mac and cheese similar to the gouda recipe:
preheat oven to 375

1 lb frozen cauliflower, thawed in the microwave and drained
2 cups grated sharp cheddar (Cabots is excellent in this)
1 cup heavy cream
4 T cream cheese
1 t dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

-While the cauliflower is thawing, heat the cream in a pan. Stir in the mustard and cream cheese, then stir 1.5 cups of grated cheese and heat gently until melted.
-drain the cauliflower well, then mix together with the cream sauce.
-pile into a baking dish (I use a 9 inch square pyrex) and sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup cheddar on top
-bake for 20 minutes until very hot and the cheese is melted. I like to broil it for a few minutes to brown the cheese a bit.

sligh 12-29-2011 07:01 AM

Cauliflower Caponata

This was in the paper yesterday and with a few minor changes (which are included), I'll be trying it soon:

Cauliflower Caponata

1 head cauliflower separated into small florets
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons splenda
1/3 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons capers, soaked in water
pinch salt
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted almonds

Cook cauliflower in the oil over medium-high heat until lightly brown and golden. Sprinkle with half the garlic and all the turmeric and cumin as it cooks.

When cauliflower is cooked, but still crunchy, sprinkle in the sugar, remaining garlic, vinegar, and thyme. Lower the heat; cook, stirring occasionally until the sharpness of the vinegar lifts and mellows, about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat; add the capers and salt. Leave to cool. Serve sprinkled with toasted almonds.

PoWdA 12-29-2011 09:49 AM

Wow! Great suggestions here.

Also, butoni, I enjoyed that recipe a lot! I ended up picking some chicken and mixing it in with the cauliflower and it was great! I am going to try and work chicken into that recipe as it was sooo good!

millergirl1976 12-29-2011 11:34 AM

Oh that Gouda recipe looks amazing.

There is also a recipe here for scalloped cauliflower and ham, that is cheesy, deliciousness! Really, you can make any LC cheese sauce you like, steam or roast some chopped up cauli, and use it just as you would noodles.

PoWdA 12-29-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 15280707)
Oh that Gouda recipe looks amazing.

There is also a recipe here for scalloped cauliflower and ham, that is cheesy, deliciousness! Really, you can make any LC cheese sauce you like, steam or roast some chopped up cauli, and use it just as you would noodles.

This looks RIGHT down my alley! Do you know where the recipe is? I am not finding it when searching!!!???? <---!

PoWdA 12-29-2011 12:16 PM

okay so I found this. Looks like I can just sub ham!!!

Ingredients: 2 bags frozen cauliflower
1/2 small onion -- white, finely chopped
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded -- finely shredded
1 cup heavy cream
salt and white pepper
1/4 cup butter
crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 350°F.
Open frozen cauliflower bags one at a time into a collander and run cool water over each to separate the pieces and
slightly thaw, but don't use warm water.
Spray large casserole dish with Pam (or butter it well) and layer 1/2 (1 bag's contents) of cauliflower across bottom of dish.
Season with salt and pepper; then layer with bits of onion, thinly sliced "pats" of butter, and 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Repeat.
Pour cream over top and place dish in oven. If dish is very full, put a cookie sheet under it to prevent bubble-over in oven.
Bake 45 minutes. 10 min before completion, add crumbled bacon if you opt to. Bubbly and delicious - this will cure your
craving for scalloped potatoes!

Tilly 12-29-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoWdA (Post 15280788)
This looks RIGHT down my alley! Do you know where the recipe is? I am not finding it when searching!!!???? <---!

Is this it? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uliflower.html

PoWdA 12-29-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15280817)

This place is a gold mine :) I will be making this, probably tonight.

millergirl1976 12-29-2011 12:40 PM

That's it! You will love it, PoWdA.

buttoni 12-29-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoWdA (Post 15280384)
Wow! Great suggestions here.

Also, butoni, I enjoyed that recipe a lot! I ended up picking some chicken and mixing it in with the cauliflower and it was great! I am going to try and work chicken into that recipe as it was sooo good!

So glad you liked it, PoWdA! And I can imagine the chicken would be quite good in this.

bekki1 01-08-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Smoked Gouda Cauliflower

INGREDIENTS:

Dash salt

190.3 calories
15.22 g fat
6.17 g carbs
2.4 g fiber
3.77 g NET CARBS
8.77 g protein
312 mg sodium

So making this tonight for dinner to go along with smoked chicken thighs!Thank you:high5:

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 01-08-2012 01:12 PM

Butonni's recipe is so good that after Christmas dinner, my granddaughter ask if she could take the left-overs home. Wow

buttoni 01-08-2012 07:01 PM

Wow, not that's quite a compliment, Julie. I'm so glad your GD liked it! Hope everyone else did, too. This one's always a hit when I serve it. So rich and creamy. And truly different from cauli casseroles done with cheddar. This has become one of my favorite cauli recipes now.

fourstubbs 01-09-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Smoked Gouda Cauliflower

INGREDIENTS:

Dash salt

190.3 calories
15.22 g fat
6.17 g carbs
2.4 g fiber
3.77 g NET CARBS
8.77 g protein
312 mg sodium

Delish! ~MMM~