Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   I just made Peggy's (Buttoni) pizza. Oh my gosh (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/749513-i-just-made-peggys-buttoni-pizza-oh-my-gosh.html)

Brendajm 12-16-2011 05:15 PM

I just made Peggy's (Buttoni) pizza. Oh my gosh

It is so good. I couldn't stop eating it. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...m/2e97c467.jpg

You got to try it. Even my DH liked it and he is not a LC er.

Jennifer Eloff 12-16-2011 05:21 PM

Looks wonderful, Brenda! :)

Brendajm 12-16-2011 05:22 PM

I should mention that I used Jens new bake mix, not the one with whey and it worked fine.

Vanessa120 12-16-2011 05:26 PM

That's looks super yummy! Off to Peggy's site.....

Jennifer Eloff 12-16-2011 05:30 PM

Wow, that's doubly cool, Brenda. I'm going to check it out too now and try it soon. Thanks for sharing that! Maybe Peggy will let me put it in a new book. ;)

Jennifer Eloff 12-16-2011 06:07 PM

Just went to look at the recipe. Did you use 3/4 cup of my Gluten-free bake mix? I do want to try this.

Brendajm 12-16-2011 06:58 PM

I did 1/2 cup of the bake mix and 1/4 cup of carb quik. Probabaly could of done all bake mix??

Gremom 12-16-2011 07:48 PM

recipe or website????

Dreamchaser 12-16-2011 11:46 PM

Looks so good, mmmmmmm! :yummy:

Barbo 12-17-2011 05:26 PM

Brendajm

Just went to Peggy's site and she has quite a lot of recipes
for pizza. Which one did you use, or would you mind posting
it? thanks

Brendajm 12-17-2011 06:13 PM

Here is the link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15185997

Jennifer Eloff 12-17-2011 10:14 PM

I made the pizza today and it was absolutely awesome! I made some adjustments for the Gluten-Free Bake Mix. I'll share tomorrow most likely.

nikki 12-17-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15254755)
It is so good. I couldn't stop eating it.

I made it and it's AMAZING! And yes, Jennifer, I used a bit of your mix (regular, not gluten free) just as the recipe suggests. I also added basil and oregano to produce a focaccia-style batch of the pizza dough bread, which I subsequently used in a panini grill and made the MOST AMAZING panini sandwiches ever. It makes marvelous sandwich bread, the pizza freezes well, and the bread alone freezes well for later use in either a pizza or a sandwich. It is going to be my new go-to recipe for bread from now on.

I would love to hear from you how the gluten-free version turned out, and what adjustments you made. I think I want to make it gluten free next time.

Gremom 12-18-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 15256675)

Thanks! :D

Jennifer Eloff 12-18-2011 01:31 PM

Peggy's Pizza made gluten-free

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010362.JPG

http://AmongFriends.us/LOWCARBFRIENDS/P1010370.JPG

PIZZA CRUST A LA PEGGY-STYLE

This excellent thin, crispy pizza crust (similar to a crust made with yeast) was inspired by Peggy Hardaway’s (Buttoni!) pizza crust. I followed her basic recipe but used my bake mix, a little oat flour and only 1 egg.

4 oz cream cheese, softened (125 g)
1 large egg
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, optional (For Billie's sake! LOL) (15 mL)
2/3 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (150 mL)
page___
2 tbsp oat flour (30 mL)
1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella, OR (125 mL)
Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In food processor, combine cream cheese, egg and Parmesan cheese; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, oat flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add to food processor along with Mozzarella, OR Monterey Jack cheese; process. Drop dough on prepared pizza pan. Using a large piece of plastic wrap, press dough out evenly to cover.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes until center springs back to touch and edges are not overly browned. Top with 1/4 cup (60 mL) Pizza Sauce, page 56 in Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume-1. Add meat and vegetable toppings of choice and shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese. Place back in the oven another 15 minutes to melt cheese.

Yield: 10/12 servings
1 serving
108.8/90.7 calories
4.8/4.0 g protein
8.5/7.1 g fat
2.8/2.3 g carbs

Jennifer Eloff 12-18-2011 01:45 PM

That's very interesting, Nikki - very clever! :shake:

Jennifer Eloff 12-18-2011 01:58 PM

I suspect I have a little less leavening in mine on account of the Carbquick has something in it. That might be why mine looks a bit thinner. I like it that way though and no baking soda "taste".

Brendajm 12-18-2011 02:33 PM

Looks good

Jennifer Eloff 12-18-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks SO much for alerting me to Peggy's pizza crust. It's really good. Yours and Peggy's look slightly better than mine but it was still fabulous!!

Linnylamb 12-18-2011 04:46 PM

OOh! Thanks for sharing, Brenda! I have made some of the cheese/egg crusts, but they are too salty for me. This is a nice option.

Jennifer, I'm so glad you came up with a modified version. I don't use Carbquick. I would rather use all of your bake mix. I have been wanting to try your gluten free bake mix and now a I have a great reason. I also look forward to trying it in your new cookbook recipes. It's such a nice book. You obviously worked very hard on it.

Jennifer Eloff 12-18-2011 04:53 PM

You will love the pizza, Linny, and hopefully the gluten-free bake mix. You are right. I worked so hard on this latest book but then all the authors did as well. I'm wondering how I will manage next year with two books planned. I'm excited though. 3 books have got to be better than only 1. Plan on 7 books in this series before I hang up my oven gloves with regard to writing cookbooks - gosh, I'll be close to 60! How did that happen?! I spent waaay too much time in the kitchen and on the computer methinks! :laugh:

Brendajm 12-18-2011 05:12 PM

I have whipped up the gluten free bake mix 6 times this weekend. Pizza, blueberry muffins banana muffins, ccranberry cookies, chocolate chip cookies. I am beat. Also made two batches of the table cream fudge, and about 20 dozen non lowcarb cookies.

buttoni 12-18-2011 05:16 PM

OMG I'm so pleased you folks liked my Pizza Crust! I really like this pizza crust recipe the best I've tried to date. Only thing I'll change next time I make it is I plan to cook the crust a bit less before adding my toppings, so it won't get quite so brown by the time the toppings are fully cooked. We just loved this recipe! :yummy:

I'm in San Antonio helping get a medicine home health service set up for my Mom (who has dementia and is rapidly moving towards Alzheimer's). I have been trying to check my website daily but haven't been able to check my forums until tonight. I'm hoping to get home in the next couple of days, but I still have a few phone calls to make and steps sto take to get this medication administration fully operational for her. sitting around waiting for return calls is mostly what it has entailed.

nikki 12-18-2011 08:47 PM

Peggy, you simply MUST add oregano and basil to the mix, bake up a rectangular crust, cut it into sandwich-size slices and use this bread in a panini maker. I personally had Swiss cheese, tomato, spinach, and fresh basil on my panini made with your bread. It was to DIE for.

Idreamofweightloss 12-18-2011 09:02 PM

I made this the other night but did not have the plain protein mix only vanilla so it gave it a funky taste.

Brendajm 12-19-2011 04:04 AM

I used Jens gluten free mix which does not have protein powder.

nikki 12-19-2011 09:36 AM

Making more today... gonna try the gluten free version. :)

Gremom 12-19-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki (Post 15258729)
Peggy, you simply MUST add oregano and basil to the mix, bake up a rectangular crust, cut it into sandwich-size slices and use this bread in a panini maker. I personally had Swiss cheese, tomato, spinach, and fresh basil on my panini made with your bread. It was to DIE for.

This sounds AMAZING!! :yummy:

Jennifer Eloff 12-20-2011 08:46 AM

Gremom - love the new pic!!!

buttoni 12-20-2011 12:22 PM

Nikki, that DOES sound good. I'm sure it would make an excellent grilled sandwich. I'm going to have to make this crust again SOON!

I finally got the last doctor's office to switch Mom's meds to A.M. only and phone in the prescription. I should be able to get home tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. Man, it's almost Christmas and this has taken me since December 6th to coordinate all this and get a home medication delivery service fully operational!! I'm soooooo ready to get back home. Now that I'm having to deal with a parent moving from dementia to Alzheimer's, I can fully understand what others before me have had to deal with. Mom's doctor is telling us she will have to move to Assisted Living or an Alzheimer's facility in 6 mos. to 18 mos. all the while SHE thinks she can live in her apartment forever. :(

So for me, Christmas dinner is going to be very low key this year. Mom isn't coming back home with me for Christmas. My MIL will only be out of her Alzheimer's nursing home for the one day with us. And since her new false teeth aren't back yet, I'm going to be cooking soft foods like mashed cauliflower, soft seafoods, gelatin/fruit molds and eassy stuff that doesn't require a lot of heavy chewing. I've never gotten off so easy on cooking Christmas dinner before. :)