Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm so glad it worked and you guys liked it! I love my pizza pan with the little holes. Reheats and crisps any leftovers so nicely, too. And slipping the parchment out before the second baking really helps with crisping I think.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-23-2012 at 12:30 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I love this pizza too, Peggy, even although I doctored your recipe to make it gluten-free. Thank you and thanks for putting up with my flagrant hijacking of your thread. I just got so excited - should have made a separate thread in hindsight. Sorry about that.

Julie, I made the gluten-free version on screen 2 of this thread again today. I followed the directions to the T and baked it another extra 2 minutes on the lower shelf. I also took Peggy's advice and used a pizza pan with holes in it. Doing those things ensured a very nice crispy, thin crust. Phew! It was so crispy, it was almost dry, but I still really liked it a LOT! I think the key is to make sure (with my version anyway) the crust is baked long enough (even if you have to cover the top with foil) and is almost evenly brown underneath. If you underbake, it won't be crispy.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No problem, Jen. I don't consider variations members offer to be "hijacking" at all. Multiple cooks ideas always bring more to the table (pun intended) . I'm so glad using the pan with holes worked better with your gluten free version. I've never owned one WITHOUT holes, so it never occurred to me to even mention mine HAD holes.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I've never owned one WITHOUT holes, so it never occurred to me to even mention mine HAD holes.
I will have to try that next time.

I don't remember which version I used, but it was great! I could bake this one in my toaster oven while I made a regular non LC pizza for my daughter in the oven. And the leftovers were just as good!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought my leftover slices both times were quite good, too, Tilly. I warm mine up in the conventional oven (don't own a toaster oven). I'm glad you liked the crust! I try to make pizza once a month, DH loves it so. It's about time again.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-26-2012 at 07:34 PM..
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I thought my leftover slices both times were quite good, too, Tilly. I warm mine up in the conventional oven (don't own a toaster oven). I'm glad you liked the crust! I try to make pizza once a month, DH loves it so. It's about time again.
I like this recipe (yours or Jennifer's, can't remember) better. I used to make my own at home but it was kind of an annoying process when you are hungry. I can buy pizza dough in town, but too much sodium in the dough (too much sodium in everything!!!). I like this, not only can I control the sodium (like anything else I make), but I can make it right in my toaster oven AND not have to time it so the yeast rising is just right, to eat at the time I was hungry. A yeasty taste would be nice but this is a good-tasting compromise. And the sides/crust was a bit crunchy, wow!

I see there is a holed pan that can fit into a toaster oven. It is now on my wish list at Amazon just for this reason. Now got to try those garlic sticks, Peggy, YUM!

Last edited by Tilly; 01-27-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you're able to do it in your toaster oven and that you like it Tilly. I keep coming back to this one, too. Reliable results and I get to control the sodium, like you say, a real issue for me.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I just made this for dinner tonight using Jens gluten free mix and I used greek yogurt instead of cream cheese and it was awesome. Love this recipe.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm. The yogurt sub is interesting, Brenda. Seems like that WOULD be good. But did it make the batter too wet to work with? Runnuer, in other words, when it was raw?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was wondering the same thing as Peggy. Tell us more, Brenda. Is Greek yogurt very thick? I guess so.

Hey, Peggy - I tacked this thread onto the pizza crust recipes thread in the stickies room. I thought it deserved to be there.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Jen. I forget the Sticky's room is even there most times. I've "visited" it before, but tend to just jump right into this forum first and completely forget the sticky area.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Surprisingly it was not runny. I am not sure how much I used, I didn't weigh it, I just threw in about 1/2 cup. I tried to spread it out extra big as I don't like my crust too thick. I used parchment on my pizza pan with holes. It browned up great on both sides so I didn't see any reason to bake it on the rack without the paper for the second bake. My hubby loves this pizza. I think we will have it again tomorrow. I have issues with some dairy, I can do hard cheeses, sharp cheddars, and yogurt. So not putting in the cream cheese is a big help for the tummy. I used mozzarella on top and I felt ok.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I was wondering the same thing as Peggy. Tell us more, Brenda. Is Greek yogurt very thick? I guess so.

Hey, Peggy - I tacked this thread onto the pizza crust recipes thread in the stickies room. I thought it deserved to be there.
You could also take your own plain yogurt and strain it for a bit to make it thick.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brenda, you mean to tell me, you made the completely gluten-free version (second screen, I think) of Peggy's recipe with 1/2 cup thick yogurt instead of cream cheese? WOW - who would have thunk? I think that would be a good alternative to mention in that case, as others might have issues with cream cheese like you. Glad you can have some dairy. That is great.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's my original NON-gluten free pizza crust recipe, as written. Please note the original recipe calls for Jen's LO CARB bake mix, not her gluten-free mix. To get my exact results, you'd have to use THAT mix:

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 beaten eggs
½ c. Jennifer Eloffs Low Carb Bake Mix (I made it with plain whey protein)
¼ c. CarbQuick bake mix
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
2 T. Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS: Line a 13-16″ pizza pan (mine has holes in the bottom) with parchment paper. Soften cream cheese and beat in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and cheese in the order listed above. Stir, beating until batter is smooth. Evenly spread onto parchment paper with a rubber spatula, trying to keep the thickness even throughout. Bake in preheated 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes until just done in the center to the touch, but not really browned yet. Remove from oven, cool a few minutes and then slide parchment out from under the crust like a magic demo man jerks the table cloth out from under the set table without jostling the dishes (mine comes out just fine each time). Now top your partially cooked crust with sauce, spices, cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake another 15 minutes or so to melt cheese and meld flavors.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each (crust only) contains:

147 calories
12.3 g fat
3.51 g carbs
1.73 g fiber
1.78 g NET CARBS
8.94 g protein
244 mg sodium

Jen's Low-Carb Bake Mix:

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (I use plain, unsweetened in mine for most uses)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

Last edited by buttoni; 02-04-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good point, Peggy!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Yup Jen. You are correct. It worked out great. I did add a bit more baking soda and powder.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is interesting. Thank you, Brenda. I might just have to try that recipe variation next time. Did you find the extra leavening helped. Mine rises a bit initially but eventually is just a very flat, thin crispy crust. Love it though. Thanks again, Peggy! If you can have gluten, then Peggy's original recipe, 2 comments up, is the way to go.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

I did think the extra leavening helped. I only added maybe 1/4 tsp of each.
Peggy's version that I made first really rose up nice. The gluten free to as much. I wish I could do the wheat more. But I prefer to stay wheat free if can I feel much better.
Peggy, thanks so much for this crust. I can now have pizza again and with tweaks be wheat and somewhat dairy free.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you've found a version that you like, Brenda, and more importantly, likes your digestive tract as well. Gotta keep our guts happy.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Quote:
Here's my original NON-gluten free pizza crust recipe, as written. Please note the original recipe calls for Jen's LO CARB bake mix, not her gluten-free mix. To get my exact results, you'd have to use THAT mix:

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 beaten eggs
½ c. Jennifer Eloffs Low Carb Bake Mix (I made it with plain whey protein)
¼ c. CarbQuick bake mix
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
2 T. Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS: Line a 13-16″ pizza pan (mine has holes in the bottom) with parchment paper. Soften cream cheese and beat in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and cheese in the order listed above. Stir, beating until batter is smooth. Evenly spread onto parchment paper with a rubber spatula, trying to keep the thickness even throughout. Bake in preheated 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes until just done in the center to the touch, but not really browned yet. Remove from oven, cool a few minutes and then slide parchment out from under the crust like a magic demo man jerks the table cloth out from under the set table without jostling the dishes (mine comes out just fine each time). Now top your partially cooked crust with sauce, spices, cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake another 15 minutes or so to melt cheese and meld flavors.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each (crust only) contains:

147 calories
12.3 g fat
3.51 g carbs
1.73 g fiber
1.78 g NET CARBS
8.94 g protein
244 mg sodium

Jen's Low-Carb Bake Mix:

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (I use plain, unsweetened in mine for most uses)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
My crust is in the oven right now!

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought a toaster oven pizza rack just for this recipe. Can't wait to get it. This is my go-to pizza crust now!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I can smell it from here, Di! I haven't made a pizza in over a month. Maybe for dinner tomorrow. Hope it comes out good and that you folks like it.

I'm just delighted so many here like this. It is pretty easy and produces consistent results for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think I can smell it from here, Di! I haven't made a pizza in over a month. Maybe for dinner tomorrow. Hope it comes out good and that you folks like it.

I'm just delighted so many here like this. It is pretty easy and produces consistent results for me.

Exactly, thanks, Peggy!!!