Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Its just me for lunch. I halved Peggy's recipe and it smelled so good baking. I pulled it out and tasted a corner of the crust.

Ended up not making a pizza but it was so close to biscuits I just buttered it and ate most of it. LOL

Which I had some strawberry jam. YUM
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Well, now, that's a different approach that appeals to me, Skeeter. Hot bread and butter has always been my greatest weakness. Less sodium eating it that way, too! Now I'll have to try this crust YOUR way!!
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Shocking crust eats poor Lamb's pizza sauce!

Jennifer and Buttoni, thanks for the recipe!

I'm hoping you can help me get the same results as everyone else.

I finally made Jennifer's GF bake mix (Boy, do I have plans!) and made the pizza crust following Jennifer's version of the recipe. Smelled great and looked great. I could pick it up and eat it with my hands! The crust by itself even tasted great, but unfortunately it completely overwhelmed the sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I couldn't taste them at all. I was really disappointed that I got no pizza flavor for my carbs.

I think the crust "ate" my sauce! My crust was not crispy, but somewhat spongy after the first baking. It did spring back to touch and the edges were just beginning to brown, so I thought it was done. When I put the sauce on, it seemed to sink into the dough. I did use 1/2 cup sauce evenly spread out, instead of 1/4 cup, but I honestly don't think too much sauce was the problem. If anything, it should have tasted extra saucy! I was wondering if I just needed to bake longer before putting on the toppings?

I baked my pizza on a 12 inch aluminum pan covered with non stick foil. I don't know if that made a difference. I don't have a pizza pan with holes in the bottom, but I do have a ceramic tray that I might consider using.

I was a little hesitant to post that it didn't work for me, because I didn't want to offend the creators, but I have such high hopes for this! I have tried the "all cheese" type pizza crusts, and while they taste OK, it's too much cheese/salt/calories for me. I also don't do wheat or soy, so I stay away from those recipes too.

Well, even if I can't get it to work as a pizza crust, I might try it as more of a bread type thing. The crust really did have a nice flavor and even a nice texture, it just didn't allow me to taste anything else!

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Linnylamb I made the pizza for supper last night. We also could hardly taste the sauce, but I didn't measure and just thought I should have put more sauce on it, now I'm wondering. No one else has mentioned this, maybe we'll get some feedback from others............ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Made two crusts again last night. When they cooled I cut them into serving size portions, froze them, and I will use them as needed; bread for sandwiches, crusts for individual slices of pizza, and also in my panini maker.

This last batch I added basil, oregano, garlic, and parsley.

This is my new staple food item; I always make sure to have some in my freezer.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, Linny, no worries. You were very sweet about how you went about telling me about the flop. It's never much fun when a recipe doesn't work nicely for someone else, but I'd rather know and see if I can help out or maybe fix the recipe if there is something not quite right with it.

I think I might make the pizza tomorrow again (I only made it once) and see if I can figure out what went wrong. Sounds like you baked it enough but maybe we should bake it a bit more? I'll see. My crust was crispy crunchy on the edges more than in the middle for sure. However, you can see the sauce literally sitting quite thickly (is that a word? lol) on the crust, so I could definitely taste the sauce. I don't recall it soaking in, but I will pay attention when I make it and see. Did you use my thicker pizza sauce from the book or on my blog? I usually use about 1/4 cup sauce but it sounds like some of you like more, so I'll try it with more.

Hey, Nikki! Your version of Peggy's recipe has really helped you out. I know we can also make a gluten-free version that works for everyone. Great recipe!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well Linny, I can't speak to Jennifer's GF crust as I haven't tried it with ALL gluten-free mix. I only make the Carbquick/GF Mix combination version myself. IMO it's just the best crust I've tried to date since my LC journey began. The almond and coconut flour in Jennifer's mix WOULD definitely have more dominant flavors (and require more sauce to overcome the stronger taste of her crust if 100% GF mix were used). Those flours will also act as moisture "sponges", changing the texture, whereas just CQ with only a little of Jen's mix would allow the flour taste to come through more.

Moral of the Story: Ya can't always substitute flours one for one and get the same results. Sometimes it works great; sometimes only passing-fair; and as we have all learned, sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Last edited by buttoni; 12-30-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer, you are such a sweetheart! I DO love your bake mix and have already used it in a quiche crust (from your new book) and a lava cake. Both applications worked great.

I have to admit that I did not make your pizza sauce. Too lazy last night! I used the sugar free version of Ragu's pizza sauce. It's not watery, but it's probably not as thick as your nice homemade version. I'm wondering if I should ditch the foil and/or bake a little longer? My edges were not crispy. I used the word spongy before, but I think doughy would be a much better word. It was definitely not spongy like some of the more egg based crusts are.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Buttoni, you are so right! I always giggle when I see someone post, "I just changed A,B,C,D, E and oh, yeah G in your recipe. I can't imagine why MINE didn't turn out!" That's one of the reasons I admire cooks like you and Jennifer who bravely share their delicious recipes, subjecting yourselves to people like me. Fortunately you lovely people end up teaching us a lot!

Although I'm an experienced low carber, I am just dipping my toe into the whole low carb flour sub world (not to mention gluten free). Your insights and experiences are really helpful. It makes perfect sense that some ingredients would have stronger tastes. I hadn't thought of the fact that the coconut flour could have swallowed up my sauce! I have read about its moisture absorbing properties, just haven't played around with it myself.

Well, coconut flour, this means war. No one eats my sauce and gets away with it. It's an Italian thing, you know.

I'm still hoping that I may be able to crisp up the crust enough that it won't be able to soak it in. Don't know if that would change the taste enough or not. I'm remembering a Linda Sue crust recipe where she suggests putting the crust in the fridge to dry it out before baking with toppings. That seemed to help some. Wonder how this crust might change if I did that?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, that's why it's nice folks here keep experimenting. Repetition and retrials are how we achieve Nirvana in the kitchen. LOL I don't know about chilling first, but like letting cornmeal oysters "set up" before frying, it just might work for the all GF mix version. Worth a try, anyway. Do let us know how that works for ya if you try it next time.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Mine hasn't been overly absorbent. The sauce stays right on top where it belongs, but I haven't tried making it with the gf version of Jennifer's mix yet.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My sauce didn't "get lost" either, Nikki. I think the GF mix is soaking it up for those that used it.

OMG Nikki, I just looked at all your pictures and YOU have lost a lot of weight, my dear! Heartfelt congratulations to you!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL I was mentioning to my DH the problems with the pizza that Linny was having and he gave me a puzzled look. He loved it! I really don't recall a sauce-eating pizza crust. However, maybe just maybe it is the difference in the sauce that was used, Linny. Mine is quite thick and made with tomato paste. Anything a bit more watery might have been the problem. Anyway, I will check back tomorrow after I make the pizza. I'll even try to explain the flavor of the crust and a bit more about the texture. I thought it was a titch dry last time, so might add a tablespoon of olive oil sometime - but tomorrow I'll just make the crust as stated.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I can't wait to make this again. We loved it. I don't remember my sauce getting soaked up either. I love lots of sauce so I doubled the amount. I will make it again mixing Jens bake mix and carbquik like Peggy's original. It really rose up a lot so I will make it even thinner this time. Yum. Now I want to make it. But it's only 7am and we r going to a friends house for Newyears eve dinner so I won't make it later either.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Although my crust did not come out crispy using Jen's GF Bake Mix, my sauce didn't soak into the crust either. I found the texture of the crust to be more like a biscuit than pizza crust so I could see where the sauce would have seeped down into it. The next time you make the crust, try brushing the par-baked crust with extra virgin olive oil before you put on the sauce, it will act as a barrier and prevent the crust from soaking the sauce in. This works perfectly if you have concerns about the sauce.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My crust was like a crispy, crunchy cookie crust - will write full details tomorrow most likely. Nope, my sauce didn't get "eaten" by the crust. I did have to bake my crust a lot longer but I'm going to see if putting it on a lower rack will be better. Definitely need a thick pizza sauce.

That is a great idea, Donna!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
My crust was like a crispy, crunchy cookie crust - will write full details tomorrow most likely. Nope, my sauce didn't get "eaten" by the crust. I did have to bake my crust a lot longer but I'm going to see if putting it on a lower rack will be better. Definitely need a thick pizza sauce.

Awww...shucks...that is "old" school cooking Jen! My mom taught me that trick after I baked a pumpkin pie and the crust was so soggy. I was lamenting to her my 'failure' with her recipe and she asked me if when I beat the eggs for the filling, I brushed the pie crust with the beaten egg. For goodness sakes...now that was a piece of information that would have come in handy had she told me that to begin with! But I remembered her trick the next time I baked a pie and voila...it wasn't soggy!!!

So now whenever I am concerned about the crust, regardless if it is sweet or savory, I make sure I brush on a barrier. Works great!

What is it about moms???? They ALWAYS have the answers.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

You know, I remember my mom using olive oil on her homemade pizza crust too. I never thought to try this on a low carb crust.

Thanks for several good suggestions. It sounds like I need to try making Jenn's sauce and baking longer at the very least.

I also had another thought: I may have used different brands of oat flour, coconut flour and/or almond flour than others. I have read many comments on other threads that different brands of coconut flour in particular perform differently. I don't know if there is enough in this recipe to make a difference or not.

I would also like to try Jennifer's original gluten free pizza crust, the version in the new cookbook and see how it compares. I notice that it bakes at 400, instead of 350.

In any case, thank you for indulging my questions and for tolerating a bit of a thread jack from Buttoni's original recipe. I'm sure it works wonderfully well for those that can use Carbquick.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

There must be a science to how a pizza tastes 'good' to each of us.

My grandmother was a first generation Italian/American and brought her rustic 'pizza' skills with her. She learned them from her mother and then taught them to my mother who then taught me. The result is that I have an entirely different idea as to how 'real' pizza should taste.

A thick pizza sauce contributes a LOT in terms of taste to pizza. A sauce that this spread too thin or that is too watery does absolutely nothing for the taste. Gotta be thick...!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's a lovely legacy to have been left, Donna, however, I guess it would be tough to match that making low-carb pizza. I liked this pizza crust and DH did too, but I have made better ones with gluten in them. Today DH cooked for me. Lovely! What a nice change. I'll tackle the pizza tomorrow again.

Peggy, thank you for putting up with all the gluten-free tweaks. I have this funny feeling your original recipe is way nicer from the good reviews.

P.S. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's a lovely legacy to have been left, Donna, however, I guess it would be tough to match that making low-carb pizza. I liked this pizza crust and DH did too, but I have made better ones with gluten in them. Today DH cooked for me. Lovely! What a nice change. I'll tackle the pizza tomorrow again.

Peggy, thank you for putting up with all the gluten-free tweaks. I have this funny feeling your original recipe is way nicer from the good reviews.

P.S. Happy New Year everyone!
You are absolutely right Jennifer.

And yes Peggy...thank you so much for allowing us to throw in our tweaks.

Last edited by RVcook; 01-01-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey......life is full of tweaks Donna. We do what we must to get where we want to be. Tweak away, folks, to get it just right for YOU! The more tweaks the merrier.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm in love... :) Revised Pizza A La Peggy Style

I'm in love with this pizza crust again. Thank you, Peggy (Buttoni)!!

Today I think I perfected it and now I'm so happy with the result. I'll make it again and again. It is a super-thin, crispy crust (very unique and tasty) - about 1/8th of an inch thick and it doesn't overwhelm any of the toppings. I used Donna's tip and brushed the baked crust with olive oil and then added the pizza sauce. I only made half my pizza sauce recipe and reduced the 1/3 cup water required by 2 tbsp. (i.e. I used 3 tbsp water). This worked perfectly and I used about 6 tbsp of the sauce on the pizza although one could use 1/2 cup. The sauce was perfectly in harmony with the rest of the toppings and none of it was absorbed by the crust.

PIZZA CRUST A LA PEGGY-STYLE
This excellent extra-thin, crispy pizza crust was inspired by Peggy Hardaway’s pizza crust. I followed her basic recipe but used my bake mix, a little oat flour and only 1 egg. Do visit her blog: Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

4 oz cream cheese, softened (125 g)
1 large egg
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
11/2 tsp Parmesan cheese (7 mL)
2/3 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (150 mL)
page___
2 tbsp oat flour (30 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, OR (125 mL)
Mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan with foil or parchment paper (also possible to just fit the foil inside a bigger pan). Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In food processor, combine cream cheese, egg, 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and Parmesan cheese; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, oat flour, and baking powder. Add to food processor along with Monterey Jack, OR Mozzarella cheese; process. Drop dough on prepared pizza pan. Using a large piece of plastic wrap, press dough out and use a rolling pin to further roll out the dough.

Bake 10 minutes on middle rack and 10 minutes on lower rack. Remove and brush crust with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Top with scant 1/2 cup (125 mL) thick Pizza Sauce*, page 56 in Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume-1. Add meat and vegetable toppings of choice and shredded Monterey Jack, OR Mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven on middle shelf and bake 10 minutes. Then place on the lower rack and bake another 10 minutes. Check the crust as it should be evenly brown underneath.

Helpful Hints: *For thicker Pizza Sauce, page 56, Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume-1, use a few tablespoons less water than stated; seems to work really well with this pizza crust and ensures a crispy crust. I have a small rolling pin which is great for rolling out pie crust dough in the pie dish – this is ideal but a small can of food will work almost as well. It is possible that different ovens will require shorter or longer baking times, but once you’ve figured it out, this pizza crust is a real winner!

Yield: 10/12 servings
1 serving
131.3/109.4 calories
4.7/3.9 g protein
11.2/9.3 g fat
2.7/2.3 g carbs
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you got it :just right", Jen. Pizza has to be just so and Pizza Nirvana is definitely a highly individual thing.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This was good - different to your actual recipe by quite a bit, I'm sure - but good all the same! Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I have 2 cents to put in. lol

My neighbor of decades ago, about 1950 came from Italy as
a war bride. She made the first pizza pie that I ever put
into my mouth. I was 16 at the time. I watched her like a
hawk as she made her dough. The one thing that I remembered
well was that she brushed it with good olive oil, then pre-baked
it for a little while. Then she took it out, sauced it and did
her meat/cheeses. I loved the crispy crust that she got.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
My neighbor of decades ago, about 1950 came from Italy as
a war bride. She made the first pizza pie that I ever put
into my mouth. I was 16 at the time. I watched her like a
hawk as she made her dough. The one thing that I remembered
well was that she brushed it with good olive oil, then pre-baked
it for a little while. Then she took it out, sauced it and did
her meat/cheeses. I loved the crispy crust that she got.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll have to try the olive oil brush next time, Barbo. Makes sense, like the egg white wash bakers often do on piecrusts/pastries.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm confused. I brushed the baked crust with olive oil. It worked though; crust was crispy and no absorbtion of the pizza sauce.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

It works either way Jennifer. With a regular flour crust, brushing a raw crust will help it to develop a golden color and add a lot to the crisp texture. Because this crust really doesn't need any help getting golden, brushing it after it bakes is sufficient to prevent the crust from getting soggy. No worries . As long as the process keeps the sauce from soaking in, that's the most important thing.