Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Scottish Shortbread Low Carb Recipe?

I miss this cookie the most. Anyone have a reliable recipe
that even resembles a short bread cookie? Would love
to make them and take them to Christmas day celebration.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
How about using Jen's Gluten-Free Bake Mix to make the cookies? I have tried it with several regular cookie recipes and it works really well.

Barbo..I made some cherry white chocolate shortbread cookies for a cookie exchange..I had to taste one..They were divine. I would leave out the white chocolate chips, but might try it using Jen's mix. There were maraschino cherries in this, so that would add some carbs, but lots of flavor.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Here is a basic recipe that I found that lots of people liked..The high carb version.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (Jen's bake mix)
1/3 cup white sugar (sugar sub)
3/4 cup butter
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Blend all ingredients well. Dough will be stiff.
Press into a 9 x 9 inch buttered dish. Prick top with a fork.
Bake until pale golden brown on the edges. Cool and cut into squares.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Buttoni has a recipe for shortbread on her website. All of her recipes that I have tried have come out great.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Carolyn, Do you have a recipe for the white chocolate chip cookies? I used to make regular ones with orange zest instead of cherries...they were yummy.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #6

I will post the highcarb version as I haven't figured out the LC version and maybe you can figure it out..

White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread12345
Loved It?
ingredients
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (LC flour)
1/2 cup sugar (sweetener)
1 cup cold butter
12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter, finely chopped ( skip this as I don't think that SF chocolate chips would do unless you can find SF white chocolate)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 drops red food coloring (optional) (don't do this)
2 teaspoons shortening
White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter (optional) (skip this)

directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
3. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
5. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.

Last edited by CarolynF; 12-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I think I am going to spend christmas in Kansas this year.......just need to know the time to be there
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too please

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
I think I am going to spend christmas in Kansas this year.......just need to know the time to be there
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enelkay
Stats: 206/145/back to 162/now 145 again
WOE: Moderately low-carb and mostly gluten-free.
Start Date: 11/98 LC; 4/07 GF. Now moderate carb & low gluten
I have this recipe in my files. I can't guarantee how good it is, though. I saved it to make for my husband who loved shortbread, but unfortunately just after I found it he developed End Stage Renal Disease and was put on a very strict diet which forbid, among other things, all nuts and all dairy products. So I never got to make it for him.

Hazelnut (or Pecan) Shortbread

Total recipe: 67 carbs, 24 fiber (43 NET carbs), 3800 Calories, 409 fat, 97 protein.
Makes 77 cookies @ .6 carbs, 49 Calories, 5 fat, 1 protein.

2 sticks butter, soft
2 cups hazelnuts (16)
1/2 c Splenda (12)
1 egg (.8)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking powder (.5)
1 cup vanilla whey powder (6)
1 T cinnamon (2.1)

Preheat oven 325. Grind hazelnuts to fine meal. Beat butter til fluffy. Add Splenda, beating well, then egg, and beat. Add salt, baking powder and half hazelnuts. Beat well, add remaining nuts, and beat. Add whey powder and mix well. (Should have soft, sticky dough). Line a cookie sheet (11 1/2 x 15 1/2) with parchment and turn dough onto parchment. Use spatula and smooth dough into even layer, about 1/4" thick. Bake 25-30 min til golden. Score immediately - if you wait til cookies cool, they will crumble.

These are the delicious! I sometimes use ground pecans instead of hazelnuts. Orig. recipe called for 2 T water, which mine didn’t need, and I added cinnamon. If dough is hard to spread, you can put another piece of parchment on top and press to spread the dough, but I found that more difficult.

From fooddrinktips.com

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
enelkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #10

You all are welcome anytime... You know that..

Nadine, this looks very interesting..

Okay, I'm going to try to make 1/2 batch of these cherry shortbread cookies with low carb ingredients. I'm leaving out the white chocolate, but might make a drizzle like Vanessa made on her vanilla biscotti..
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Subbing
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Shortbread

Shortbread
December 6, 2010 by buttoni

This is a modification (of another low-carber’s modification) of a Michelle Obama Shortbread recipe found on the internet. I found the original recipe with 3 sticks of butter to be way too greasy with butter, quite frankly, and the shortbread was entirely too crumbly with 3c. almond flour and only 2 egg yolks to hold it together. The first batch I made literally fell apart in my hand when I tried to eat them, with huge bits falling onto the floor for my puppies to enjoy. So I made another batch with several changes and those came out much better. So my recipe below reflects those changes. Not acceptable until OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

2½ sticks (1½ c.) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. granular Splenda (or equivalent liquid)
1 pkt. stevia sweetener
3 beaten eggs
3 c. almond flour
1 T. coconut flour
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 c. oat fiber (do NOT use oat bran, as it it much higher in carbs)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 325º. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Cream butter, Splenda and stevia together until smooth. Add 3 beaten eggs and vanilla extract, whipping to combine well. Add almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber and salt. Stir well to a smooth batter. Spread dough evenly onto parchment-lined pan. You can use your fingers moistened with cold water to do this or use plastic gloves if you ave some. Batter will spread to about ¼” thickness. Poke holes into shortbread with tines of a fork about every 2″. Bake at 325º for 25 minutes or just until it begins to brown lightly on the edges. You don’t want this to get over-browned! Cut carefully into 32 pieces while still slightly warm. I am storing these in the freezer and find that firms them up a bit for easier, less-crumbly handling. In fact, I like to eat them right out of the freezer!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 32 rectangles of shortbread, each contains:

135 calories
12.9 g fat
4.09 g carbs
2.10 g fiber
1.99 g NET CARBS
2.99 g protein
30 mg sodium
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Shortbread
December 6, 2010 by buttoni

This is a modification (of another low-carber’s modification) of a Michelle Obama Shortbread recipe found on the internet. I found the original recipe with 3 sticks of butter to be way too greasy with butter, quite frankly, and the shortbread was entirely too crumbly with 3c. almond flour and only 2 egg yolks to hold it together. The first batch I made literally fell apart in my hand when I tried to eat them, with huge bits falling onto the floor for my puppies to enjoy. So I made another batch with several changes and those came out much better. So my recipe below reflects those changes. Not acceptable until OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

2½ sticks (1½ c.) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. granular Splenda (or equivalent liquid)
1 pkt. stevia sweetener
3 beaten eggs
3 c. almond flour
1 T. coconut flour
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 c. oat fiber (do NOT use oat bran, as it it much higher in carbs)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 325º. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Cream butter, Splenda and stevia together until smooth. Add 3 beaten eggs and vanilla extract, whipping to combine well. Add almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber and salt. Stir well to a smooth batter. Spread dough evenly onto parchment-lined pan. You can use your fingers moistened with cold water to do this or use plastic gloves if you ave some. Batter will spread to about ¼” thickness. Poke holes into shortbread with tines of a fork about every 2″. Bake at 325º for 25 minutes or just until it begins to brown lightly on the edges. You don’t want this to get over-browned! Cut carefully into 32 pieces while still slightly warm. I am storing these in the freezer and find that firms them up a bit for easier, less-crumbly handling. In fact, I like to eat them right out of the freezer!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 32 rectangles of shortbread, each contains:

135 calories
12.9 g fat
4.09 g carbs
2.10 g fiber
1.99 g NET CARBS
2.99 g protein
30 mg sodium
Amazing. Thanks, Peggy!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays

Thanks you all for the wonderful looking shortbread cookie
recipes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by enelkay View Post
I have this recipe in my files. I can't guarantee how good it is, though. I saved it to make for my husband who loved shortbread, but unfortunately just after I found it he developed End Stage Renal Disease and was put on a very strict diet which forbid, among other things, all nuts and all dairy products. So I never got to make it for him.

Hazelnut (or Pecan) Shortbread

Total recipe: 67 carbs, 24 fiber (43 NET carbs), 3800 Calories, 409 fat, 97 protein.
Makes 77 cookies @ .6 carbs, 49 Calories, 5 fat, 1 protein.

2 sticks butter, soft
2 cups hazelnuts (16)
1/2 c Splenda (12)
1 egg (.8)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking powder (.5)
1 cup vanilla whey powder (6)
1 T cinnamon (2.1)

Preheat oven 325. Grind hazelnuts to fine meal. Beat butter til fluffy. Add Splenda, beating well, then egg, and beat. Add salt, baking powder and half hazelnuts. Beat well, add remaining nuts, and beat. Add whey powder and mix well. (Should have soft, sticky dough). Line a cookie sheet (11 1/2 x 15 1/2) with parchment and turn dough onto parchment. Use spatula and smooth dough into even layer, about 1/4" thick. Bake 25-30 min til golden. Score immediately - if you wait til cookies cool, they will crumble.

These are the delicious! I sometimes use ground pecans instead of hazelnuts. Orig. recipe called for 2 T water, which mine didn’t need, and I added cinnamon. If dough is hard to spread, you can put another piece of parchment on top and press to spread the dough, but I found that more difficult.

From fooddrinktips.com
Thanks for sharing, sorry for your loss.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laffin
Stats: 329.8/215.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/7/2011
subbing
laffin is offline   Reply With Quote