Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zogo
Stats: 193/156/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/20/11
Best Blender?

I'm looking to replace my old (VERY OLD) Oster blender that just bit the dust. My mom will buy me a new one for Christmas, but I don't want her to spend the $400+ on one of the fancy new pro versions. Less than $100 on sale would be fine though, I'm sure.

I will mostly be using it for making healthy smoothies to hand my teens as they run out the door.

Does anyone have positive (or negative) recommendations on blenders?
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I love my Kitchenaid blender. It is very powerful and will blend just about anything including ice cubes. I do not know how much they are now running price-wise though. I do not think they are extremely expensive though.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't you just love those old osterizers? they were the best. probably you can get a good one used on eBay very cheap too. most of the expensive new blenders are a gyp to my way of thinking. when you find a model you like, look at the reviews on Amazon. one person's experience doesn't mean a lot, but when you have dozens (or hundreds) you can get an idea what the problems are.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
I'm looking to replace my old (VERY OLD) Oster blender that just bit the dust. My mom will buy me a new one for Christmas, but I don't want her to spend the $400+ on one of the fancy new pro versions. Less than $100 on sale would be fine though, I'm sure.

I will mostly be using it for making healthy smoothies to hand my teens as they run out the door.

Does anyone have positive (or negative) recommendations on blenders?

If you make mostly smoothies, why not just get the Ninja stick blender. It does a fabulous job on just about everything. Very powerful. Plus you can use it for soups, mashed potatoes, etc. in the pan. I just got one and it will plow right through frozen fruits and ice cubes like it was nothing.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
I love my Kitchenaid blender. It is very powerful and will blend just about anything including ice cubes. I do not know how much they are now running price-wise though. I do not think they are extremely expensive though.
Got mine a few years ago at Kohl's. If you have one nearby they are always having sales and coupons, especially this time of the year.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
If you make mostly smoothies, why not just get the Ninja stick blender. It does a fabulous job on just about everything. Very powerful. Plus you can use it for soups, mashed potatoes, etc. in the pan. I just got one and it will plow right through frozen fruits and ice cubes like it was nothing.
I just ordered the Ninja Warrior stick blender (w/attachments) last night. I've been looking at it for a while on WalMarts site. Went to order it last night, and it wasn't available. WAHHHH.... Searched the net and finally found it on another site. It was about $5 dollars cheaper, and last night the shipping was free since I was using igive(which gives a donation to my favorite charity when I shop their stores!).. Can't beat that! With WalMart, I was gonna have it sent to my store for pickup, and no shipping costs. I have to wait for however long with this one, but that's not a huge problem. I've been waiting for 2 or 3 weeks trying to decide whether to buy or not.
I had a Cuisineart stick blender which I strippe out the cogs on last month. I was trying to decide where to buy the Ninja or another Cuisineart like the one I had. I opted for the Ninja.
This is an "extra" or specialty blender. I am still using my 1970 (or 71) avocado green Oster blender I got when my son was born!! It is still going strong. Been thru a few blades & containers, but the unit itself is still going, going, going. No where near as powerful as the VitaMix, but it never was.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I have the Ninja Master Prep Professional (not the stick one) and I LOVE it. Mine has 3 containers. Not sure if I'll ever use the really big one. I received it last year for Christmas. I use the small container most of the time for smoothies. It's Wonderful for frozen fruit and ICE. I make more smoothies than anything but also use it to make loaded cauliflower and last night I made the doctored up sf jello dessert with cream cheese.

Love my Ninja.

Last edited by watcher513; 12-17-2011 at 02:46 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Gee, I bought a Kitchenaid wide-mouth blender a few years back and there is a known rubber part defect on the hub that makes the blade spin. It will sheer off in under two years. You can replace it, but who wants to do that every couple years? I went to their website forums and LOTS of people complained of that part sheering off on their blenders as well. Despite bringing this to Kitchenaid's attention, they continue to sell this model of blender to this day. I just replaced mine with an Oster blender and haven't been disappointed with this one.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I got just a cheap GE one from walmart. Works just fine and was only $30???

It's the digital one which I like because it has a 'drink' button.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I just ordered the Ninja Warrior stick blender (w/attachments) last night. I've been looking at it for a while on WalMarts site. Went to order it last night, and it wasn't available. WAHHHH.... Searched the net and finally found it on another site. It was about $5 dollars cheaper, and last night the shipping was free since I was using igive(which gives a donation to my favorite charity when I shop their stores!).. Can't beat that! With WalMart, I was gonna have it sent to my store for pickup, and no shipping costs. I have to wait for however long with this one, but that's not a huge problem. I've been waiting for 2 or 3 weeks trying to decide whether to buy or not.
I had a Cuisineart stick blender which I strippe out the cogs on last month. I was trying to decide where to buy the Ninja or another Cuisineart like the one I had. I opted for the Ninja.
This is an "extra" or specialty blender. I am still using my 1970 (or 71) avocado green Oster blender I got when my son was born!! It is still going strong. Been thru a few blades & containers, but the unit itself is still going, going, going. No where near as powerful as the VitaMix, but it never was.
I got mine from Walmart online too and had it shipped to my store. I really like it. It's very powerful. I have not tried the processor attachment yet because I always use my EuroPro food processor. Love that thing!! I tried my best to talk my husband into buying me a VitaMix today as Costco had them for about $374 and I want one so badly but he wouldn't give an inch. Ha! He knows my fetish for kitchen gadgets and I admit I am an addict at wanting every new gadget and appliance there is. LOL One day though I'll catch him at a weak moment and he'll let me get one.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Gee, I bought a Kitchenaid wide-mouth blender a few years back and there is a known rubber part defect on the hub that makes the blade spin. It will sheer off in under two years. You can replace it, but who wants to do that every couple years? I went to their website forums and LOTS of people complained of that part sheering off on their blenders as well. Despite bringing this to Kitchenaid's attention, they continue to sell this model of blender to this day. I just replaced mine with an Oster blender and haven't been disappointed with this one.
Yep I've already replaced mine once already if it's that little black thingie that the jar sits on that makes it turn. I can't imagine Kitchenaid making a defective product but I think they did on this one. The blender works great though and is very powerful.

I just bought their dish scrubber set at Costco too and the scrubbers are coming off the sponges in about three or four days. I do like the way the dish soap dispenses out of them as they do not get clogged up like most of them but if the sponge scrubber top comes off what use are they. Kitchenaid better get on the ball. They have always had a good name but they are going to kill it this way.