Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Christmas Cranberry Granola

Are you looking for an edible gift to make for friends or co-workers? Instead of making unhealthy
cookies and candies, try your hand at healthy homemade granola! Make a double-batch though,
you'll want some for yourself! ~Vanessa

Christmas Cranberry Granola
A gluten-free, low-carb, sugar-free alternative to granola.

Recipe by Healthy Living How To

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: (24) 1/4 c. Servings

Ingredients
  • 1 c. each, Coconut Flakes, Walnuts, Pecans, Hazelnuts, Almonds, Pepitas
  • 1/4 c. Chia Seeds
  • 1/4 c. Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 c. Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 Recipe Sugar-Free Dried Cranberries

Directions

1. In large bowl, mix together nuts & seeds.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together coconut oil, unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon, Celtic sea salt, stevia and vanilla extract.
3. Add the sauce to the nuts & seeds and thoroughly mix.
4. Line a large baking pan with parchment and evenly spread out granola.
5. Bake at 250º F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring in 15 minute intervals.
6. Rough chop cranberries and mix with granola once cooled.
7. Store in a sealed Mason jar or container.

Sugar-Free Dried Cranberries
Original Recipe by Laura Dolson
Adapted by Healthy Living How To

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients
  • 12 oz. Cranberries
  • 1/2 c. Water
  • Sugar-Free Sweetener

Sweetening Options (choose 1)
  • 1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 4 Tbsp. NOW Xylitol, Non-GMO
  • 1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 6 Tbsp. NOW Erythritol Granular

Directions

1. In a sauce pan add 1/2 c. water + sugar-free sweetening option.
2. To the sweetened water add 12 oz. of cranberries.
3. Stir cranberries around to coat and turn heat to medium-high.
4. Cook cranberries for about 10 minutes until they have all popped. Use the back of a spoon to pop the cranberries that are stubborn.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Line a sheet pan with doubled up paper towels and then lay a sheet of parchment over top.
7. Spread cranberries out and dry in oven at 170º F for 7-8 hours.
8. After 4 hours take cranberries out of the oven and using a spatula transfer them to a new sheet of parchment paper, spreading them out some.
9. Return to oven for another 3-4 hours.
10. The cranberries are done when they are no longer wet, you choose how chewy you want them. The longer you go the more chewy they are.
11. Let cool, separate and store in a sealed container.
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.

Last edited by Vanessa120; 12-08-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Wow, what a great idea Vanessa! Your recipe pictures are always so beautiful and delicious looking! I also love your choice of sweeteners. I only use NuNaturals stevia and erythritol for all of my sweetening needs!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
That looks wonderful!! I like LC granola on my yogurt!!
thanks
Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I do too, Pat.

Vanessa, your dried cranberries are awesome! Love your recipe and the photos. You are so gifted.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Wow, what a great idea Vanessa! Your recipe pictures are always so beautiful and delicious looking! I also love your choice of sweeteners. I only use NuNaturals stevia and erythritol for all of my sweetening needs!
Thank You! I have recently started using a little more xylitol as it is made from non-gmo corn. Both the erythritol and xylitol I use are from NOW Foods, however, when I asked about the erythritol they said it wasn't necessarily non-gmo and that's important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehousepat View Post
That looks wonderful!! I like LC granola on my yogurt!!
thanks
Pat
Thank you! I do too, but for now I am on a yogurt strike.....had a bad reaction to casein last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I do too, Pat.

Vanessa, your dried cranberries are awesome! Love your recipe and the photos. You are so gifted.
That means a lot coming for the "queen" of low carb recipes! Thanks Jennifer!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made these last night, doubled the recipe. While putting them into baggies for storage (unitl I get the hazelnuts today) I could not stop eating them! So easy to do, thanks, Vanessa! (p.s. Just make sure you have a timer that you can hear in case you fall asleep like I did and forgot they were still in the oven drying ) I cut them up with kitchen shears, they are still good. I used the 1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 6 Tbsp. NOW Erythritol Granular.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made these last night, doubled the recipe. While putting them into baggies for storage (unitl I get the hazelnuts today) I could not stop eating them! So easy to do, thanks, Vanessa! (p.s. Just make sure you have a timer that you can hear in case you fall asleep like I did and forgot they were still in the oven drying ) I cut them up with kitchen shears, they are still good. I used the 1/4 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder + 6 Tbsp. NOW Erythritol Granular.
I made another batch as well yesterday and a fresh batch of granola this morning. Keeping one container for us this time.....ended up giving the last batch all away! Have a great weekend!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can I freeze these?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Can I freeze these?
I dont think you need to. I would seal and refrigerate.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Made the granola today. Oh my, this is good, thanks!!!!

Another prepared recipe tucked into the back of my refrig and hoping my daughters don't find it,
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I've got cranberries in my dehydrator now. Put them in yesterday/last night. They need to dry a while longer.
I did 1/4 tsp pure stevia, & 1/2 Erythritol 1/2 Xylitol -- 3 TBsp each. My Erythritol is non GMO (tho I must admit, I really don't know what that means -- and I know I've read before), and the xylitol is made from birch. I realy like the brand. It is (Or was) Emerald Forrest. They have changed their name to Xyla (or at least the Xylitol. The company is now Xyla USA. I like it better than the NOW brand.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I've got cranberries in my dehydrator now. Put them in yesterday/last night. They need to dry a while longer.
I did 1/4 tsp pure stevia, & 1/2 Erythritol 1/2 Xylitol -- 3 TBsp each. My Erythritol is non GMO (tho I must admit, I really don't know what that means -- and I know I've read before), and the xylitol is made from birch. I realy like the brand. It is (Or was) Emerald Forrest. They have changed their name to Xyla (or at least the Xylitol. The company is now Xyla USA. I like it better than the NOW brand.
Ah, so much simpler to use a dehydrator. Had one a long time ago, rarely used it so got rid of it, (they don't have a smilely that kicks itself). Just curious, if you find out what GMO is, would you post it please? No clue, here.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ah, so much simpler to use a dehydrator. Had one a long time ago, rarely used it so got rid of it, (they don't have a smilely that kicks itself). Just curious, if you find out what GMO is, would you post it please? No clue, here.
GMO = Genetically Modified Organisms

This is rather lengthy so if not interested skip right over this post. A fabulous book that discusses GMO is Seeds of Deception. There is also a website that complements the book. The following information I copied from that website. ~Vanesssa

GMO Health Risks

Genetically modified foods:

YES, you’re eating them.
NO, they’re not safe.

Did you know... since 1996 Americans have been eating genetically modified (GM) ingredients in most processed foods.

Did you know... GM plants, such as soybean, corn, cottonseed, and canola, have had foreign genes forced into their DNA. The inserted genes come from species, such as bacteria and viruses, which have never been in the human food supply.

Did you know... The American Academy of Environmental Medicine states, “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. They ask physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.1

Find out what the risks are and start protecting yourself and your family today!

Why isn’t the FDA protecting us?

In 1992, the Food and Drug Administration claimed they had no information showing that GM foods were substantially different from conventionally grown foods. Therefore they are safe to eat, and absolutely no safety studies were required. But internal memos made public by a lawsuit2 reveal that their position was staged by political appointees who were under orders from the White House to promote GMOs. In addition, the FDA official in charge of creating this policy was Michael Taylor, the former attorney for Monsanto, the largest biotech company, and later their vice president.

In reality, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

Today, the same biotech companies who have been found guilty of hiding toxic effects of their chemical products are in charge of determining whether their GM foods are safe. Industry-funded GMO safety studies are too superficial to find most of the potential dangers, and their voluntary consultations with the FDA are widely criticized as a meaningless façade.3

Genetic modification is radically different from natural breeding

Genetic engineering transfers genes across natural species barriers. It uses imprecise laboratory techniques that bear no resemblance to natural breeding, and is based on outdated concepts of how genes and cells work.4 Gene insertion is done either by shooting genes from a “gene gun” into a plate of cells or by using bacteria to invade the cell with foreign DNA. The altered cell is then cloned into a plant.

Widespread, unpredictable changes

The genetic engineering process creates massive collateral damage, causing mutations in hundreds or thousands of locations throughout the plant’s DNA.5 Natural genes can be deleted or permanently turned on or off, and hundreds may change their behavior.6 Even the inserted gene can be damaged or rearranged,7 and may create proteins that can trigger allergies or promote disease.

GM foods on the market

There are eight GM food crops. The five major varieties—soy, corn, canola, cotton, and sugar beets—have bacterial genes inserted, which allow the plants to survive an otherwise deadly dose of weed killer. Farmers use considerably more herbicides on these GM crops and so the food has higher herbicide residues. About 68% of GM crops are herbicide tolerant.

The second GM trait is a built-in pesticide, found in GM corn and cotton. A gene from the soil bacterium called Bt (for Bacillus thuringiensis) is inserted into the plant’s DNA, where it secretes the insect-killing Bt-toxin in every cell. About 19% of GM crops produce their own pesticide. Another 13% produce a pesticide and are herbicide tolerant.

There is also Hawaiian papaya and a small amount of zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, which are engineered to resist a plant virus.

Growing evidence of harm from GMOs

GM soy and allergic reactions

Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced.8
A skin prick allergy test shows that some people react to GM soy, but not to wild natural soy.9
Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen.10
GM soy also contains a new unexpected allergen, not found in wild natural soy.11
Bt corn and cotton linked to allergies

The biotech industry claims that Bt-toxin is harmless to humans and mammals because the natural bacteria version has been used as a spray by farmers for years. In reality, hundreds of people exposed to Bt spray had allergic-type symptoms,12 and mice fed Bt had powerful immune responses13 and damaged intestines.14 Moreover, the Bt in GM crops is designed to be more toxic than the natural spray and is thousands of times more concentrated.

Farm workers throughout India are getting the same allergic reactions from handling Bt cotton15 as those who reacted to Bt spray.16 Mice17 and rats18 fed Bt corn also showed immune responses.

GMOs fail allergy tests

No tests can guarantee that a GMO will not cause allergies. Although the World Health Organization recommends a screening protocol,19 the GM soy, corn, and papaya in our food supply fail those tests—because their GM proteins have properties of known allergens.20

GMOs may make you allergic to non-GM foods

GM soy drastically reduces digestive enzymes in mice.21 If it also impairs your digestion, you may become sensitive and allergic to a variety of foods.
Mice fed Bt-toxin started having immune reactions to formerly harmless foods.22
Mice fed experimental GM peas also started reacting to a range of other foods.23 (The peas had already passed all the allergy tests normally done before a GMO gets on the market. Only this advanced test, which is never used on the GMOs we eat, revealed that the peas could actually be deadly.)
GMOs and liver problems

Rats fed GM potatoes had smaller, partially atrophied livers.24
The livers of rats fed GM canola were 12-16% heavier.25
GM soy altered mouse liver cells in ways that suggest a toxic insult.26 The changes reversed after they switched to non-GM soy.27
GMOs, reproductive problems, and infant mortality

More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks.28
Male rats29 and mice30 fed GM soy had changed testicles, including altered young sperm cells in the mice.
The DNA of mouse embryos functioned differently when their parents ate GM soy31
The longer mice were fed GM corn, the less babies they had, and the smaller their babies were.32
Babies of female rats fed GM soy were considerably smaller, and more than half died within three weeks (compared to 10% of the non-GM soy controls).33
Bt crops linked to sterility, disease, and death

Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants after harvest. Others suffered poor health and reproductive problems.34
Farmers in Europe and Asia say that cows, water buffaloes, chickens, and horses died from eating Bt corn varieties.35
About two dozen US farmers report that Bt corn varieties caused widespread sterility in pigs or cows.36
Filipinos in at least five villages fell sick when a nearby Bt corn variety was pollinating.37
The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer. Rats also had damaged organs and immune systems.38
Functioning GM genes remain inside you

Unlike safety evaluations for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function.39 This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

If the antibiotic gene inserted into most GM crops were to transfer, it could create super diseases, resistant to antibiotics.
If the gene that creates Bt-toxin in GM corn were to transfer, it might turn our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories.
Animal studies show that DNA in food can travel into organs throughout the body, even into the fetus.40
GM food supplement caused deadly epidemic

In the 1980s, a contaminated brand of a food supplement called L-tryptophan killed about 100 Americans and caused sickness and disability in another 5,000-10,000 people. The source of contaminants was almost certainly the genetic engineering process used in its production. The disease took years to find and was almost overlooked. It was only identified because the symptoms were unique, acute, and fast-acting. If all three characteristics were not in place, the deadly GM supplement might never have been identified or removed.

If GM foods on the market are causing common diseases or if their effects appear only after long-term exposure, we may not be able to identify the source of the problem for decades, if at all. There is no monitoring of GMO-related illnesses and no long-term animal studies. Heavily invested biotech corporations are gambling with the health of our nation for their profit.

Help end the genetic engineering of our food supply

When the tipping point of consumer concern about GMOs was achieved in Europe in 1999, within a single week virtually all major food manufacturers committed to remove GM ingredients. The Campaign for Healthier Eating in America is designed to reach a similar tipping point in the US soon.

Our growing network of manufacturers, retailers, healthcare practitioners, organizations, and the media, is informing consumers of the health risks of GMOs and helping them select healthier non-GMO alternatives with our Non-GMO Shopping Guides.

Source: Seeds of Deception
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Vanessa!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I do a similar recipe, but mine isn't baked. I also add slivers of fresh coconut to the mixture. Your berries came out redder and prettier than mine did. Very pretty picture, Vanessa. I just love this stuff.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thans Vanessa! I had heard of GMO, and what it was (tho not this full description), but I couldn't for the life of me think what it was.
Since the Xylitol that I use is from birch trees, I'm pretty sure it is GMO free. (and they proudly state that their Erythritol doesn't contain it.)

Tilly, I rarely use my dehydrater either. But I do use it occasionaly, so I still have it. It isn't an expensive or fancy one. Just a plain ole dehydrator.

I imagine my berries are done, but I really don't know how to tell if they've dried long enough. I want them to be dry enough that they don't mold if I don't use them quick enough. Not planning n making granola very soon. Maybe sometime, but not right now. Just wanted to try the dried cranberries.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote