Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Blueberry Scones; Cranberry Scones

I took my Raspberry Scone recipe and modified it a bit to come out with these delicious scones today. I find a blend of alternate flour substitutes works best in such baked goods. The final product came out quite good. This recipe is not acceptable until the grains rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 c. Carbalose flour
½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
¼ c. almond flour
2 T. oat fiber
2 T. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix (made with plain whey protein)
½ c. Splenda, granular
1 pkt stevia sweetener
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
5 T. butter, unsalted (cold)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. + 2 T. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. blueberries, slightly chopped (I used frozen whole, but will definitely chop a bit next time)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in cold butter until uniformly blended. In a smaller bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and cream together; then add to dry ingredients. Fold in berries and stir well. Using hands, knead into a single mass of dough. Turn out ball of dough onto well-greased baking sheet or silicone covered sheet. For traditional triangle shapes, spread out dough evenly using a fork into roughly a 7″x 10″ rectangle. Cut into 6 squares and cut those again diagonally, forming 12 scones. Sometimes I just cut them into squares as shown. Bake at 350º for about 18 minutes. Cool slightly. Using spatula blade edge, cut again along cut marks and allow to cool a few minutes before trying to remove from pans. Should be browned slightly on tops and bottoms. Serve warm with butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 scones, each containing:
118.42 calories
9.43g fat
9.54 g carbs
5.07 g fiber
4.47 g NET CARBS
3.5 g protein
198 mg sodium

CRANBERRY SCONES

Took the basic recipe and modified it for a cranberry version also. These came out very nice with fresh cranberries. Not as sweet as some scones, but you folks know how to remedy that, I’m sure. I may add orange zest and a few nuts to mine (hubby doesn’t like nuts much) next time. But you guys will modify as you wish. This recipe is not acceptable until the grains rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 c. Carbalose flour
½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
¼ c. almond flour
2 T. oat fiber
2 T. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix (with plain whey protein)
½ c. Splenda, granular (or equivalent)
1 pkt stevia sweetener
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
5 T. butter, unsalted (cold)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. + 2 T. heavy cream
½ tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. fresh cranberries, slightly chopped

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in cold butter until uniformly blended. In a smaller bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and cream together; then add to dry ingredients. Fold in coarsely chopped berries and stir just enough to mix. Using hands or a fork, knead or work into a single mass of dough. Turn out dough onto well-greased baking sheet or silicone covered sheet. For traditional triangle shapes, spread out dough evenly using a fork or plastic covered hands into roughly a 7″x 10″ rectangle. Cut into 6 squares and cut those again diagonally, forming 12 scones. Sometimes I just cut them into squares as shown. Bake at 350º for about 18 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Using a long knife or spatula blade edge, cut again along cut marks and allow to cool a few minutes before trying to remove from pans. Serve warm with butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 scones, each containing:
116.33 calories
9.42 g fat
9.03 g carbs
5.11 g fiber
3.92 g NET CARBS
3.48 g protein
215 mg sodium

Jennifer's Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix:

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain)
(sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

I keep it at room temperature in an airtight container in my pantry.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
They look great..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Seriously, how do you make everything look SO GOOD???
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I keep looking for something truly biscuit-y or with the authentic scone texture and flavor. These look fantastic -- gonna give them a try.

Because of you, Peggy, I finally decided to give Carbalose flour one more chance. I was detesting the off-taste of it with everything I tried, including every one of Kevinpa's bread recipes that I tried years ago when it first came out. I broke down and got a new bag about a month ago, and am loving cooking with it now. I don't notice the bad taste at all--have they maybe reformulated it? Do you think that instead of Carbquik, I could just make up a bit of biscuit mix with Carbalose,shortening, baking powder, & salt?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeDoc View Post
Seriously, how do you make everything look SO GOOD???
LOL I swear it's sure not me. I'm a lousy photographer, really I am. It's my little Canon Powershot SD750 Elph camera that does that magic. I just can't hardly take a bad pic with it! LOL Usually the bad ones are the pics of stuff I've cooked in the evening and the light in my dining room is very different after 4pm. Flashes invariably ruin my food pics.

@Diana, Tova Industries might have reformulated it, I just don't know, as I'm still using the initial bag I bought a very long time ago, and I think it has always had the funny taste, but I continue to experiment with it. I especially don't use it by itself in anything I bake. But for both Carbalose and Carbquick, Jen Eloff discovered and I concur, that just a little coconut flour or a little of one of Jen Eloff's bake mixes added seems to take that funny taste away for me, from both Tova products. IMO CarbQuick has less of a funny taste than Carbalose, so I lean towards Carbquick more, but I still add a bit of one of the other flour subs/mixes into all recipes with CQ or CL.

As to making your own biscuit mix as you describe, I think it would cook your baked goods OK, but I think it will have that funny taste if you don't add 2 T. Coconut flour, almond flour, oat flour or plain whey protein to "kill" of "override" that taste.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Man, oh, Man. I just ate one of the cranberry scones with a drop of Boyajian orange oil dabbed along the top crust and a couple walnuts on the side and I will most DEFINITELY be making the cranberry version with either this oil, or some orange zest and chopped walnuts in them next time. MmmMmmMmmMmmMmm. Even my husband tasted it, nut hater that he is, and he said he definitely liked the orange taste in this one. He wasn't as wild about the walnuts as I was.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I made the cranberry ones last night using my just made sugar free dried cranberries and they are awesome. I like cranberry combined with orange flavors so added zest of an orange and 1\4 tsp orange oil also.

These are great for all you scone lovers. Best of all is the texture. They are not dry and coarse at all even after they are cooled. . Thank you Peggy!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Peggy - you are amazing! These scones look fantastic and reviews tell me they are! Awesome!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you liked them, TBipp. I just ate another cranberry scone after lunch, sprinkled with my orange oil, a bit of erythritol and a "side" of walnuts and I really like these, especially with a few walnuts. 24 hours later in the fridge and they are still moist. Texture is still good, too.

Thanks Jen. I'm really liking your bake mix added to all things Carbquick now.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Haha That is a good "trick" for sure, Peggy - it really helps disguise the slight funny taste in Carbquik and Carbalose flour quite well and produces something rather amazing since those flours are actually quite good otherwise. Since I'm baking gluten-free, I'm happy you're doing that type of baking for others who would like that option more.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

quote from Buttoni: @Diana, Tova Industries might have reformulated it, I just don't know, as I'm still using the initial bag I bought a very long time ago, and I think it has always had the funny taste, but I continue to experiment with it. I especially don't use it by itself in anything I bake. But for both Carbalose and Carbquick, Jen Eloff discovered and I concur, that just a little coconut flour or a little of one of Jen Eloff's bake mixes added seems to take that funny taste away for me, from both Tova products. IMO CarbQuick has less of a funny taste than Carbalose, so I lean towards Carbquick more, but I still add a bit of one of the other flour subs/mixes into all recipes with CQ or CL.

As to making your own biscuit mix as you describe, I think it would cook your baked goods OK, but I think it will have that funny taste if you don't add 2 T. Coconut flour, almond flour, oat flour or plain whey protein to "kill" of "override" that taste.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Peggy, when I made my bread a couple of days ago, I added oat flour, oat fiber, WPI 5000 and 8000 and a good bit of resistant corn starch to the bread recipe. I just lined up all of the alternative flours that I had and added about a quarter of a cup of each, to two cups of carbalose. I am sure that the addition of other flour ingredients helped the overall taste, but I am tempted to try to make a bread with mostly carbalose, adding only a little resistant starch and WPI to see how it turns out.

If I were teaching my fifth graders to conduct an experiment I would have them try only one ingredient at a time with the carbalose in order to isolate the offending tastes!! Too bad I am as a do as I say and not a do as I do teacher!!

Last edited by dianafoot; 12-04-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Yes, I'm guilty of kitchen experimenting that way too. You'd think we'd learn, huh? LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Well, something must have changed with their formula--either that or my elderly taste buds are wearing out. I made Kevin's simple white bread tonight and it is very very good, carbalose and all. I can't tell you how many times I made every one of his bread recipes in the past calling for carbalose and they all came out beautiful and tasting like old burnt rubber tires. This just did not have that awful funky taste at all.

I still need to try your scones now and will just make a little carbquik knockoff out of carbalose for that part of the recipe. I have cranberries in the fridge ready to sweeten and dry tomorrow. Can't wait for the cranberry scones! Thanks for the recipe!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Can I add my two cents please?

My new batches of CarbQuick and Carbalose flour do not have
that awful taste or smell. Something about it is different.
I just made double batch of my thin egg crepes and there is
no weird taste.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Darn, I wanted to make these this weekend but I have oat flour, no oat fiber
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
You know, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Tova Industries cannot come up with a low-carb flour and biscuit mix free from that taste. When the Chef's Blend Lite flour was being sold, you could use that flour just exactly like white flour and it had no bad taste whatsoever so I know it can be done. I have begged the Whey Low people who initially introduced me to Chef's Blend Flour to beg them to go back into business because their flour was the bomb. Why can't Tova contact them and see how they made theirs? I am going to try some other recipes with the Carbalose and Carbquik but I tried Kevinpa's chocolate chip cookies a while back and they came out dry and with a sorta weird taste. And I'm sure I have the newer products as I just got mine maybe two weeks ago or so. Maybe it was the WPI in the cookies?? Do those have weird tastes also?

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Is there anything else I could use besides oat fiber?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brenda, I'd just leave it out until you can get some. Netrition carries it in smaller bags than Honeyvillegrains. I'm sure the scones will cook up OK without it, just maybe a slightly different texture?