Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
I got my book 2 weeks ago, and I LOVE it.

So far I've tried:

- Pecan Pie Cheesecake (halved the recipe and used small ramkins. Each Ramkin is 2 servings. I didn't make the crust, but the Pecan topping sort of migrated to the bottom, so I had pecans on top and bottom! It was great. (I used a food processor to chop the pecans, so I suspect they were more ground than chopped).

- Corned Beef "Noodle" casserole. I used sliced corned beef from the deli and just chopped it up. I also added some caraway seeds when cooking the cabbage noodles, and they were in the final product. DH and Mom loved it. I didn't have any leftovers

- Chocolate dipped hazelnut cookies. My chocolate was thick, more like frosting. No problem, as it made them easier to just frost. These I HID from DH and Mom

- Breakfast Bonanza Muffins. Again, a great recipe. I definitely need silicon baking cups for this though. I used foil baking cups in a non-stick muffin pan. The mixture leaked on the the muffin pan and it was a pain to get the pan clean. As the recipe makes 12 muffins (I got 15 out of it), I tossed the extra muffins into the freezer. The foil cups can't go into the microwave. A shopping opportunity for silicon baking cups!

Note: I've discovered that I need to highlight the recipes I've tried in the index, so I can locate them again!

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I made the banana bread-page 61-thought I had butter but found I was out after starting the process so I used canola oil and added a tsp of banana extract too--I couldnt wait to try it-so I ate the end off soon after getting it out of the oven--I will never be able to get 18 servings out of this--lol--maybe 10--its delish!!! I have always been a big banana bread person and have the ultimate recipe of a highcarb loaf--but this will give me a way to have banana bread when the others are enjoying a hc loaf--thanks for recipe Jennifer--its a keeper...oh--forgot--this was the first time I used the GF bake mix---wont be the last!!! I made a double batch...

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
That banana bread of Jen's is one I had earmarked to try, too. Glad to hear it's as good as it sounded.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
I got my book 2 weeks ago, and I LOVE it.

So far I've tried:

- Pecan Pie Cheesecake (halved the recipe and used small ramkins. Each Ramkin is 2 servings. I didn't make the crust, but the Pecan topping sort of migrated to the bottom, so I had pecans on top and bottom! It was great. (I used a food processor to chop the pecans, so I suspect they were more ground than chopped).

- Corned Beef "Noodle" casserole. I used sliced corned beef from the deli and just chopped it up. I also added some caraway seeds when cooking the cabbage noodles, and they were in the final product. DH and Mom loved it. I didn't have any leftovers

Fran
I like your idea of corned beef from the deli. I don't buy the whole brisket, too much for me, so this would work better. And don't ya just hate it when people just eat it all up? I LOVE leftovers, one meal I don't have to fix! Also like your idea of highlighting the recipes you tried and liked. So many in there, I can't keep track. And I had overlooked the breakfast muffins. I may have to try them. I have a 6 muffin tin silicone pan that fits just right into my toaster oven. Love it.

Also, thank you for pointing out the muffins as I read the notes below it. Great idea about premaking smoothies for breakfast from Lisa.

Last edited by Tilly; 01-12-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBinLA View Post
Pat
I have now made the lemon bars twice. The first time I made them with regular lemons and we loved them. The second time I was able to find Meyer lemons, as the recipe called for, so I used them. I didn't like them nearly as much, they were still good, but as you said a bit bland. I like the flavor with the stronger lemon flavor.
I did add a little salt to the crust.

Can you please give me the page number in the cookbook for the lemon bars? Thanks!
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
That banana bread of Jen's is one I had earmarked to try, too. Glad to hear it's as good as it sounded.

It's definitely as good as it sounds. I made it again yesterday into muffins but I used pecans in them this time rather than walnuts. Much better with the pecans in my humble opinion. They are soooo good and moist. Yum! I think next time I make it I am going to make an icing glaze for them. I think that would be fantastic on them.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #247
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
Can you please give me the page number in the cookbook for the lemon bars? Thanks!
Linda - it's on page 191 - Enjoy!
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBinLA View Post
Linda - it's on page 191 - Enjoy!
Thanks so much!!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

24 hr. Chili Page 221

Anyone that has made this chili, is this chili real spicy hot? I do not like my chili hot and 3 Tbls. of chili powder sounds like quite a bit. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #250
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Just made Jennifer's banana bread for my ds. I had a 6-mini-loaf pan pan..KWIM? It made
6 perfect loaves of this bread with one recipe. The recipe calls for 18 servings, so cutting each loaf in 3rds would be the same..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #251
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post

Note: I've discovered that I need to highlight the recipes I've tried in the index, so I can locate them again!

Fran
What a FANTASTIC IDEA! Now why didn't *I* think of that?!

I think I might even take it a step further and use two colors of highlighters - one for "Make again!" and one for "Not worthy of a repeat." I'm gonna start doing this in ALL my cookbooks!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
Anyone that has made this chili, is this chili real spicy hot? I do not like my chili hot and 3 Tbls. of chili powder sounds like quite a bit. Thanks for any info.
I was worried about the amount of chili powder too, since I don't really like hot foods. I usually go very easy with cayenne or hot sauce in recipes, for example. IMO, if you are using regular ole chili powder in this recipe, it is not HOT at all, just SPICY.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, this thread is still going strong! I'm busy this week with the 2nd edition of Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume 1...but thought I'd pop in and add some again.

I remade my white sauce pizza recipe (IF - LCAF, p.293) with Maria's Pizza Crust (LCAF, p.133) I liked it, and the crust was really crispy. Kent Altena

The Almond Joy smoothie on page 160 is going to help me through the dayThe fried rice recipe on page 309 is the best I've ever had! My kids asked me if I'd make it again. My son didn't know it wasn't really rice until I told him. He's also been asking when I'll make the Garlic Parmesan wings again. Great recipes!
For the fried rice I used leftover Italian pork roast. Loving this cookbook.

Oh and the "bread"pudding pudding is incredibly tasty too!

I just made the deep dish pizza crust recipe and topped it with the pizza sauce recipe. My picky son said it's in the top 3 recipes I've ever made! It was fantastic. I can't believe I get to have deep dish pizza on induction! I'll definitely be making this again. Family said it was better than take out pizza. Good job, y'all! I
My toppings were wild boar sausage, pepperoni and bell peppers.

Love your book! So far I've made the mock danish, love it! And the garlic parmesan wings, my new favorite dish ever!

I'm loving this book! Tonight I made the Taco Bake and my whole family loved it! Last night I made the Italian Pork Roast. Again everyone raved. Also the Mock Danish. It's all been fabulous. I'm so excited! I love a cookbook that I can pick up and trust that every recipe is going to be a success.

Made the Bacon Cheeseburger Soup!! Fabulous. Very filling. Thank you so much for compiling this cookbook. Looking forward to Volume 2.

I have a number of low carb cookbooks but I find I make more recipes from this book. I've already made Donna's Pancakes,Caramel Cheesecake,Pumpkin Spice Latte (better than Starbucks), Pumpkin Muffins, Cinnamon Chip Muffins, Almond Vanilla Layer Cake,Cranberry Bliss Bars, Chocolate Dipped Hazelnut Cookies, Layered Southwestern Beef Salad and Buffalo Chicken Dip. These recipes were all wonderful. I've also used the "Splendid Low Carb Bake Mix" in one of my favorite muffin recipes and I like it even better than the original recipe.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's really neat, Carolyn. Trust you to figure out something like that. Jeanne, I'm so glad you liked it too. Tilly - too funny about your daughters not wanting bananas with spots on 'em. Hope they liked the banana bread muffins. Happy you did!

Linda, that 24 hr chili is good - not spicy hot - just great! Linny that is too funny about your hubby. I told my DH that story!

Wow, you've been busy, Fran! That is a great idea to keep track of what you've made and like - highlighting in the index. I'm working on the Index this week to beef it up a bit for the 2nd edition of volume 1. We'll put it on the website for download for those who have already got cookbooks.

Eyedoc - Donna's pancakes are good aren't they?

Thanks everyone and anyone I missed - thank you!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chicken, andouille sausage, cauliflower and the trinity (bell peppers, celery and onion). Dang this stuff is good!!! This was a remark about Lisa's Crockpot Jambalya, p. 244 Have to admit it does sound very good.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #256

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I ordered the cook book and recv'd it Friday. Wow! Now I have a question. Is xanthan gum, guar gum and glucomannan flour all interchangeable in recipes? If not, can you the glucomannan flour in the sandwich bread recipe or do I need the xanthan gum for sure?

I truly don't know where to begin with these recipes. I usually do pretty well with just simple meat, fat and veggies. But DH is doing this full-on right now and he'd like some more variety, so here I go......
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I made Jen's Banana Bread this morning. I'm going to have some SERIOUS control issues with this recipe!

I made 17 muffins out of them. Could have gotten 18 if I scraped the blender (oh, I do not recommend this in a blender, -the batter is too thick.) I left out the nuts and used 16 drops of EZsweets and 1-2 packets of Stevia. I also added a cup of SF chocolate chips. A little too sweet...so I'll cut back on the EZsweets to 12-13 drops next time or leave out the chocolate chips.

Overall - GREAT recipe!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have the 24 hour chili in the crockpot now, can't wait!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
that banana bread is a keeper for sure-it just keeps getting better in the frig too--I will try the muffins the next time in order to have some way for me to have portion control--and I like adding the idea of sf chips! thanks!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Haven't read through this whole thread but just this one page has captured my interest.
Question...... can this book be purchased in a book store or must you go through amazon or what-ever?
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope I can post this. My internet is out. Our internet wire is flying in the breeze! It came loose and the fellas have not been up to fix it yet - over 24 hours and waiting. Sigh. My very clever DH hooked me up to my computer with my Blackberry. The internet is very slow and I can't do too much at once, but at least I'm up and running.

Alex, thanks for your interest. It is not in bookstores. You can find the book on Amazon or on our website (cheaper).

Sjl330: Xanthan gum and guar gum can be interchanged, but not the other for my bake mix. I do prefer xanthan gum. You have a very blessed hubby - he is going to eat well.

EyeDoc: What a great idea - love banana bread with chocolate chips. Yum! Why didn't I think of that?

Tilly, let us know how you like the chili. Linda was worried that it would be too spicy.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I hope I can post this. My internet is out. Our internet wire is flying in the breeze! It came loose and the fellas have not been up to fix it yet - over 24 hours and waiting. Sigh. My very clever DH hooked me up to my computer with my Blackberry. The internet is very slow and I can't do too much at once, but at least I'm up and running.

Alex, thanks for your interest. It is not in bookstores. You can find the book on Amazon or on our website (cheaper).

Sjl330: Xanthan gum and guar gum can be interchanged, but not the other for my bake mix. I do prefer xanthan gum. You have a very blessed hubby - he is going to eat well.

EyeDoc: What a great idea - love banana bread with chocolate chips. Yum! Why didn't I think of that?

Tilly, let us know how you like the chili. Linda was worried that it would be too spicy.
It was really good. I don't use pork sausage, as it is too much sodium for me. I used a little over a pound of ground pork, instead. So I could probably spice it up a bit. It was not spicey at all and I did not change those measurements, nor left any out.

Overall, my daughter and I LOVED it! And I like that it makes a lot. LOVE those leftovers!!! Oh, made chicken lady's corn bread to go with it (I know, not in the cookbook, but it should be, ha!).

And I think I mentioned here that I put chocolate chips and a few nuts in my batter of your banana bread recipe. I had cut the recipe in half and made muffins because I only had one banana in the house. They were heavenly, Jennifer! I would have them more often but there are so many recipes to make and enjoy! I am using the highlighter idea to keep track of all them.

Last edited by Tilly; 01-18-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #263

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Thank Jenn. I haven't made it yet, so I'll be sure to go with one of the "gums" and not use the glucomanan for this particular recipe. First I bought the wrong cheese. Eventually I'll get it all together, I hope.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #264
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jka300
WOE: Low carb and salt diet
Start Date: March 2005
I have made
24hr chili - My family really liked it, gone before I knew it!
Char's ribs - One word MAGNIFICENT!!!
Crispy Potato Skins - Really liked them
Smokey Okie Breakfast Casserole - new breakfast fav
jka300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #265

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I just got my book yesterday...I can't wait to try the crab ragoon, there are many other recipes I can't wait to try too. Heading to the grocery store tonight!!!!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Today for breakfast I made the Mocha Hazelnut Muffins on pg 185.
They were very good but as I have said before my 76 yr old tastebuds did not think they were sweet enough. Next time I will try the Sugar free mix of erythritol, splenda & stevia that someone had on this board. It has great synergy and makes things taste great.

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
The Island Pork Curry on page 37 was wonderful. Full of flavor! A little goes a long way! DH had it over rice, I had it with LC biscuits and roasted cauliflower. (I really miss curry with potatoes, though!). There will be plenty of leftovers! Yay!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehousepat View Post
Next time I will try the Sugar free mix of erythritol, splenda & stevia that someone had on this board. It has great synergy and makes things taste great.

Pat
I know I've seen it and thought I had saved it, but can you post it please, or the link where you found it?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I know I've seen it and thought I had saved it, but can you post it please, or the link where you found it?
I don't remember who posted it but i wrote down the recipe

Sugar Free Mix
1 cup erythritol
1 splenda quick pack
1/4 tsp stevia

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Well I made the 24 hour chili and I have to say it was not for us. My husband nor I liked it. I sure hate to lose all those ingredients but not edible for us. Our southern taste buds must be different.