Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #211
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
Pat
I have now made the lemon bars twice. The first time I made them with regular lemons and we loved them. The second time I was able to find Meyer lemons, as the recipe called for, so I used them. I didn't like them nearly as much, they were still good, but as you said a bit bland. I like the flavor with the stronger lemon flavor.
I did add a little salt to the crust.
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I thought for sure I would get some comments re my new avatar. I thought it was hilarious. When I started this diet again, my husband snuck in my office and put this as my screen saver. I told him carrots were sorta high carb. LOL
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBinLA View Post
Pat
I have now made the lemon bars twice. The first time I made them with regular lemons and we loved them. The second time I was able to find Meyer lemons, as the recipe called for, so I used them. I didn't like them nearly as much, they were still good, but as you said a bit bland. I like the flavor with the stronger lemon flavor.
I did add a little salt to the crust.
Thanks for the info!

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks, Nancy, for helping Pat.

You know, how we enjoy recipes is a very individual thing really. We can get a broad idea from what others say, but it will still be an individual taste thing. For instance, my good friend, Char, is a culinary expert and she did not like the pumpkin sausage soup that was on LCF's sometime ago, however, many other people raved about it. Jody's pumpkin bake (forgive me Jody) - I didn't like it quite as much as other people.

LOL Linda, I did wonder what that was all about!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some more experiments and comments from our Facebook page that might help our friends here too:

"I'm loving this book! Tonight I made the Taco Bake and my whole family loved it! Last night I made the Italian Pork Roast. Again everyone raved. Also the Mock Danish. It's all been fabulous. I'm so excited! I love a cookbook that I can pick up and trust that every recipe is going to be a success."

"Made the Bacon Cheeseburger Soup!! Fabulous. Very filling. Thank you so much for compiling this cookbook. Looking forward to Volume 2."

I made the Moussaka (page 112) by Maria Emmerich.
It was the best Moussaka i have ever had. Reminded me of holiday in Greece.
Thank you Maria.

"I did see a slip up in ingredient listing and the onion/lemon and herb mix didnt return in the assembly but that isnt a problem for ppl that read the whole recipe before starting.
I read while cooking LoL
So next time with lemon ( I threw the onion and herbs in the meat sause) might even be better."

This was my response: "Ah, Saskia, as long as it is a small slip-up. We then can rely on the intelligence of our audience, as my precious paternal grandmother used to say. Glad you liked Maria's recipe. Now I need to make it too."

Then Saskia said: "My guy picked some up for lunch and when he came home tonight he said he could eat this every day. Its really great."

Lisa Marshall made Carolyn's bundt cake in mini bundt cake pans. "My guys really liked these. Thanks for a great Maple Walnut Bundt Cake recipe, Carolyn!"--Lisa

Lisa also made the corn dogs - just cut them smaller - looked great!

"I'm really enjoying my cookbook. Today I'm making Lisa's Maple Meatballs. I use them as breakfast sausage patties. Mmmm."

P. 220 Bacon Flowers - "They were pretty good with a protein shake."

"My first recipe from the cookbook was Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread.... love it. I am going to make the Cranberry Salad for Thanksgiving... I have this book beside my chair and pick it up and read at it all day...."
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And another: "Love your book! So far I've made the mock danish, love it! And the garlic parmesan wings, my new favorite dish ever!" (Kent's recipes)
Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Thanks, Nancy, for helping Pat.

LOL Linda, I did wonder what that was all about!

This was a picture of a gorilla who had an addiction for carrots and he could not get enough of them. David thought it too funny so, since he knew I was starting back to low carb, he put it on my computer for a screen saver. But I told him carrots were not exactly a low carb veggie.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
And here all this time I thought it was hot dogs in his mouth. LOL
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #219
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehousepat View Post
Thanks for the info!

Pat
You're welcome. I hope if you make them again you will like them as much as we did the first time. I loved the lemon curd, could eat it all the time!
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I was never sure what that was in his mouth. Hot dogs was one thought, cigars another. Not sure if I ever thought carrots or not. Perhaps if I could see the picture bigger, I would have been able to see it was carrots. But my eyes (even with glasses) aren't good enough to see the detail in that avatar well enough to tell.
Now that I know it is carrots, I can see they are.
Like Jen, I kept wondering what it was or what it was all about!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Was thinking about getting the book, but my concern is if too many of the recipes use the LC flour mix. Are there a lot of recipes without that ingredient? Thanks!
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
Was thinking about getting the book, but my concern is if too many of the recipes use the LC flour mix. Are there a lot of recipes without that ingredient? Thanks!
Yes. Jennifer invented (yeah!) the LC mix. But there are so many other contributors to the book, and they use other ingredients. Not sure what you are looking for or what ingredient you are looking to NOT be in the recipe.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aediekins, the majority of the recipes do not use it. It's only in my section and then you could use the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix (not GF though) which some people prefer. Other times, for pies or cheesecakes, you can sub your own crusts without a bake mix. There you go! Thanks for your interest.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Tilly.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Thank you, Tilly.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

I have a question about the cinnamon Indian fry bread on pg 103.
It calls for 1/4 cup of cinnamon. Is that for real or is that a mistake?? Seems like an awful lot of cinnamon.

Pat
Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehousepat View Post
I have a question about the cinnamon Indian fry bread on pg 103.
It calls for 1/4 cup of cinnamon. Is that for real or is that a mistake?? Seems like an awful lot of cinnamon.

Pat
I saw that amount yesterday and sat up and took notice. There are several low carb recipes that call for large amounts of cinnamon. If I were making it, I would reduce the cinnamon to whatever my taste buds preferred.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I checked with Maria re the amount of cinnamon in the Cinnamon Indian Fry Bread, p. 103 and this is what she shared with me:

"I just re did it, but I LOVE cinnamon, so I emailed some people who I
know love it and they said they like it with that much cinnamon. When
you whip the whites they quadruple in size, so it really isn't that
much..."

TBipp you are correct - people can adjust seasonings according to taste preference. I do this all the time as I detest recipes that are too high in sodium and I don't usually like anything too-too spicy. My sons do and when I think I've ruined a dish, they usually say the spice is just right.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcjudi
Stats: 187/178/135
Start Date: January 2007
Smoked Gouda Cauliflower

Wow made this yesterday, page 45 it is absolutely wonderful Thank you Peggy Buttoni ! We loved it.
kcjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Made the banana bread by Jennifer yesterday, page 61. My daughters won't eat any bananas that have any brown spots on them (picky, picky, picky). I had one lone banana that got past that stage, waited for it to get to banana bread stage. I wanted to make this bread, so cut it in half and made muffins (portion control for me). I got 6 muffins out of it. I suppose I could have made more but did not want to use my 12 tin muffin pan. Used my 6 cup silicon pan that fits nicely into my toaster oven. Had no clue how long to bake. My oven turns on to 350 (can change it if needed) and it automatically starts at 30 minutes. I was going to check them earlier but forgot them. 30 minutes seems to be just right. I let them cool and then refrigerated them. Pulled 2 out for this eveing, warmed in my toaster oven while I scrambled some eggs for me. Oh, and in addition to toasting the walnuts, I had just a handful of sf chocolate chips and tossed those in as well. Oh my gosh, this is just like HC banana bread!!! And if not just like it (have not had banana bread in a long time) don't care, it is wonderful! Thanks, Jennifer!!!! Think I'll stick with the muffin pan for me. Like I said, I need portion control.

Last edited by Tilly; 01-09-2012 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday for dinner I made the Bacon Cheeseburger Soup on pg 223. A very hardy soup!!
Had the leftovers for lunch today. We enjoyed it.
Made the Cinnamon Swirl Cookies on pg 144 today. The dough is very fragile and needs to be chilled for an hour before rolling out. I used less cinnamon then what is called for. On the whole they were very good.

Pat
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

I thought they were hotdogs as well!!!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I received my book from DH for Christmas and sat down to pick out what I wanted to try...

I've got some two dozen recipes and am not sure when I am going to find the time to try them!!!

This morning I was able to make Donna's Pancakes. They were wonderful! I am going to switch them the next time my kids ask for pancakes for breakfast to see if they can tell the difference. I kept my portion to 2 cakes and froze the rest. Hope they are as good the second time around.
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Today for breakfast, I made Cinnamon Dutch Babies on pg 234.
Delicious!!

Pat
Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjudi View Post
Wow made this yesterday, page 45 it is absolutely wonderful Thank you Peggy Buttoni ! We loved it.
Thank you, KCjudi! It's so tasty to be so simple, isn't it? So glad you guys like it! We cook that dish often, as I always keep smoked gouda in the house. My fav snack cheese!
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Tonight we had the 24 hr. chili, which we really did cook for 24 hrs. I made it in my ancient crock pot which handles low and slow very well. We ate it over some cauli rice and topped with a little cheese.

This was tasty! I liked it because I enjoy spice, but not necessarily heat. I'm sure if you do like it hot, you could easily heat it up. The recipe calls for barbecue sauce. Pick one you really like because this really influences the flavor. I made my favorite homemade sauce, which is not too hot or vinegary for me. I prefer it a tad on on the sweeter side. (Yeah, I'm a yankee. My husband thought it was the best chili ever and actually did a happy dance around the kitchen island.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
I can't wait to make Peggy's cauliflower recipe because my husband's family is Dutch. They all LOVE Gouda and I'm sure would love this dish. I also love cauliflower.

If you had told me a few years ago how much I would end up loving cauliflower, I would have though you were a little nuts. I LIKED it before low carb, but now it's one of my favorite veggies. There are so many great ways to make it.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

A gorilla with hotdogs in his mouth. LOL that is funny. I guess it is hard to see that small. The one on my desk computer is huge and very funny.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cara7166
Stats: 325/217/200 next goal!
WOE: Atkins for first 65 pounds, then HCG
Start Date: Nov 1, 2011
I tried the Low Carb Fried Chicken on page 295. Even my *very picky* 3 year old loved it! Everyone in the house thought it was good!!
cara7166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnylamb View Post
Tonight we had the 24 hr. chili, which we really did cook for 24 hrs. I made it in my ancient crock pot which handles low and slow very well. We ate it over some cauli rice and topped with a little cheese.

This was tasty! I liked it because I enjoy spice, but not necessarily heat. I'm sure if you do like it hot, you could easily heat it up. The recipe calls for barbecue sauce. Pick one you really like because this really influences the flavor. I made my favorite homemade sauce, which is not too hot or vinegary for me. I prefer it a tad on on the sweeter side. (Yeah, I'm a yankee. My husband thought it was the best chili ever and actually did a happy dance around the kitchen island.
Good to know and I will note that in my book. It was (still is) on my next to make list. I see it makes a boatload but will freeze a lot of it, just the 2 of us (daughter and I).