Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom View Post
I made Jenn's sandwich bread pg. 59 and it is seriously good! I can't wait to make a grilled cheese sandwich (maybe today)!

When Jenn says to grease the foil, she is not kidding! Next time I will use a lot of oil and maybe switch to the nonstick foil.

Thanks Jenn!
Leigh
Foil is very handy and works pretty good, but I really prefer parchment paper...NOT waxed paper...parchment. No sticking allowed .
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I tried the Pecan Turtle Bars on page 195. Excellent recipe, and I am impressed that such a traditional recipe can be made low carb. I tweaked somewhat as I like my treats fairly sweet.

My mistake on the recipe was not noticing that the crust called for 1/4 cup 'granular' erythritol, and I used 1/4 cup 'powdered' erythritol (which is what I have). The crust did not call for salt but I added a tiny bit. I will add more sweetener to the crust the next time I make these. I may also reduce the butter from 6 Tbsp. to 4 Tbsp as these are so rich. What is nice about the crust is that you can taste it before patting into the pan so you can determine the level of sweetness you want in advance.

On the Filling, I then noticed that it called for 6 Tbsp 'granular' erythritol so I upped it to about 9 Tbsp 'powdered' erythritol so that part came out perfect.

The chocolate glaze calls for 1/4 cup 'powdered' erythritol for 1/4 cup cocoa and 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate. This makes for a very bittersweet glaze so I added stevia to taste in addition to the erythritol. By the way, bittersweet chocolate is my favorite; however, because I did not add sufficient erythritol to the crust (my fault for not noticing it called for 'granular') the glaze needed to be sweeter for my tastes, which was easy to adjust as I was stirring along.

Possible future tweaks: many traditional turtle bars use brown sugar so I may add 1/2 tsp. molasses each to the crust and filling to add the "caramelly" flavor. I will continue to add salt to the crust and possibly up to 1/4 tsp to give that salted caramel flavor.

How nice to enjoy such a rich goodie.
I made this for my cookie tray and they were wonderful. I did use some of your tweaks.

One question. Did you have a separate carmel layer? Mine kind of soaked into the crust.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
"One question. Did you have a separate carmel layer? Mine kind of soaked into the crust."

Yes and no. It was definitely a separate layer but did kind of soak in. I may have baked the first layer longer than advised to make sure it was a good and dry base. Mine was not golden on the edges at the time stated so I baked it longer.

I am curious, did you add molasses?

Last edited by TBipp; 12-28-2011 at 09:14 AM..
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom View Post
I made Jenn's sandwich bread pg. 59 and it is seriously good! I can't wait to make a grilled cheese sandwich (maybe today)!

When Jenn says to grease the foil, she is not kidding! Next time I will use a lot of oil and maybe switch to the nonstick foil.

Thanks Jenn!
Leigh
You ought to try just heating up a piece in the microwave for about 12 seconds and then butter it with some SF jam on it. Soooooo good. I like it that way better than toasted. That bread has a great taste to it.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #155
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
I made the Meyer Lemon Curd Bars,page 191,unfortunately I couldn't find any Meyer lemons so I just used the regular type, it was delicious! No one would suspect that this was a low carb dessert. Lemon bars have always been one of my favorites so I am thrilled to have this. The only change was to the length of time the crust baked, the recipe said 10 minutes until brown around the edges, it took about 16 minutes for me. If you like lemon then I think you will love this.
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBinLA View Post
I made the Meyer Lemon Curd Bars,page 191,unfortunately I couldn't find any Meyer lemons so I just used the regular type, it was delicious! No one would suspect that this was a low carb dessert. Lemon bars have always been one of my favorites so I am thrilled to have this. The only change was to the length of time the crust baked, the recipe said 10 minutes until brown around the edges, it took about 16 minutes for me. If you like lemon then I think you will love this.
Those sound SO yummy!!! I absolutely adore anything lemon! Gotta mark that page for sure.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Donna, if you love lemon, you will love these. The curd is really good, I could just eat that with a spoon! Dh loved them also, in fact I had to hide some!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBinLA View Post
Donna, if you love lemon, you will love these. The curd is really good, I could just eat that with a spoon! Dh loved them also, in fact I had to hide some!
Oh...if you had to hide them from you DH, I K-N-O-W I will love them!

When I was little, my mom would make lemon meringue pie and the lemon filling would still be in the saucepan and I would grab a spoon and keep 'sneaking' spoonfuls. Yes...just eating lemon curd is bliss to me! Funny...I thought I was the only one who did that. Glad to know I'm in good company

BTW...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Oh...if you had to hide them from you DH, I K-N-O-W I will love them!

When I was little, my mom would make lemon meringue pie and the lemon filling would still be in the saucepan and I would grab a spoon and keep 'sneaking' spoonfuls. Yes...just eating lemon curd is bliss to me! Funny...I thought I was the only one who did that. Glad to know I'm in good company

BTW...
Thanks for the welcome,I have been lurking for a long time, decided it was time to post! And I always ate the lemon filling also - the best part of the pie.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Nancy!

That's sounds so good, Linda. Thanks.

Leigh, so happy you liked the sandwich bread. I don't recall mine sticking so much. I think I just used nonstick cooking spray but the type of foil might make a difference - mine is the heavy-duty kind and I had the shiny side up. Donna, I've never used parchment paper in my life. I never did find that stuff in Canada and I certainly cannot even find wax paper over here! lol

Hey, Pat - that is cool. I think I will make Pizza a la Peggy-style tomorrow as well. It's very good. I have a lot of leftover ham and turkey.

Wish I had time to make all the lovely meals and desserts - I'm living vicariously through everyone's comments about the recipes. Ironically, I will probably not get to enjoy the cookbooks/recipes as much as other folks until a few years from now. I have to keep working on new recipes and nowadays it's just hubby and I eating as we are empty nesters, however, I simply have to make a few of them in the next few months. I'm much too curious.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
definately gonna try the lemon bars. I' m going through the cook book and putting comments that people have made here. I love this thread. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
definately gonna try the lemon bars. I' m going through the cook book and putting comments that people have made here. I love this thread. Julie
That is such a smart idea!!
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
"One question. Did you have a separate carmel layer? Mine kind of soaked into the crust."

Yes and no. It was definitely a separate layer but did kind of soak in. I may have baked the first layer longer than advised to make sure it was a good and dry base. Mine was not golden on the edges at the time stated so I baked it longer.

I am curious, did you add molasses?
I did not.

I checked the blog and the directions there said to boil longer. I am sure that is why I didn't get the layer. Still very good.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
I had 2 very ripe bananas so I made the banana walnut bread on pg 61. Delicious!!
Those lemon bars sound delicious also & I just happen to have some meyer lemons. Yeah!

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Page 116 Eggcellent Meatloaf

This is Maria Emmerich's recipe.

Although the boiled eggs were left out of this recipe,
it was delicious, very moist and sliceable. Be very festive with the eggs.

Will make it again.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thank you for the thread, Julie. That's a great idea to keep the notes with the recipes. As I said, I'm living vicariously through others here as I don't have time to make all the recipes I would like to make. Lisa Marshall is actually making one recipe every week out of the book. She is very organized though and so I'm not overly surprised.

Yay, Pat - glad you liked it. I can't even remember that recipe too well.

Barbo - I've also been eyeing that recipe of Maria's; sounds wonderful from your description. I think I would leave the eggs in it.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

I am placing my Netrition order, and need some help.

If I remember right, some of the recipes call for (liquid?) Stevia? Or powdered, I'm not sure. Can you guys tell me what you have or use the most?

I already bought the Whey Protein Powder and the Xanthum gum stuff.

What else do I need?

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
I am placing my Netrition order, and need some help.

If I remember right, some of the recipes call for (liquid?) Stevia? Or powdered, I'm not sure. Can you guys tell me what you have or use the most?

I already bought the Whey Protein Powder and the Xanthum gum stuff.

What else do I need?

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
Do you have erythritol? I use that fairly often as I like chocolate goodies.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you have erythritol? I use that fairly often as I like chocolate goodies.
No I don't. Do I get the crystals or the powder?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No I don't. Do I get the crystals or the powder?
Granular Erythritol (you can always powder it in a spice grinder)
Stevia Glycerite
Whey Protein Powder
Liquid Splenda
Almond Flour
Coconut Flour

This should be enough to get you started.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Granular Erythritol (you can always powder it in a spice grinder)
Stevia Glycerite
Whey Protein Powder
Liquid Splenda
Almond Flour
Coconut Flour

This should be enough to get you started.
Question about the Stevia ... are the two sized bottles the same product?

I ask because with EzSweetz, the small bottle is double the sweetness of the larger bottle.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I've read and enjoyed the entire cookbook. Still haven't made a recipe as I don't have the required ingredients and don't know what to sub for things like oat flour that I can't use but you all are inspiring me to get it together and get cooking! Guess I need to write a list of all the stuff I need and place a netrition order.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Powdered.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Question about the Stevia ... are the two sized bottles the same product?

I ask because with EzSweetz, the small bottle is double the sweetness of the larger bottle.
Stevia Glycerite and EzSweetz are NOT the same product. From what I can see, they are the same strength, just different sized bottles.

If I were starting out, I would purchase a small bottle of each. Then as you use them, you can evaluate whether you like each or not. For me, I don't mind the Stevia Glycerite, but for recipes that include 'anything' Splenda (sucralose), I just sub. Can't stand that ickky metallic taste...blech!

Last edited by RVcook; 12-30-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
The Flexible Wraps (page 63) are great! When I split the batch into 7 balls they ended up being approx 3 inches big. Doubled up one of them and it was more of a 'normal' size. I skipped the onion salt and put a few dashes of 'essence'. The first few were hard to make but by the last one it was much easier.

Definitely going to make these again!! I'll plan on bringing these in with me to my favorite mexican restaurant to have with fajitas!! Great with cheese and/or eggs! YUM.
misslatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Stevia Glycerite and EzSweetz are NOT the same product. From what I can see, they are the same strength, just different sized bottles.

If I were starting out, I would purchase a small bottle of each. Then as you use them, you can evaluate whether you like each or not. For me, I don't mind the Stevia Glycerite, but for recipes that include 'anything' Splenda (sucralose), I just sub. Can't stand that ickky metallic taste...blech!
Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

When I buy EzSweetz, there are two choices, with the smaller bottle being double the potency of the bigger bottle.

With the Stevia Glycerite, there are also 2 size bottles, and I was wondering if they were that way too ... or if both size bottles are the same potency?

Which product were you referring to with the ickky metallic taste?

HUGz! Jules
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ons-1-cup.html
Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

When I buy EzSweetz, there are two choices, with the smaller bottle being double the potency of the bigger bottle.

With the Stevia Glycerite, there are also 2 size bottles, and I was wondering if they were that way too ... or if both size bottles are the same potency?

Which product were you referring to with the ickky metallic taste?

HUGz! Jules
No...you were very clear...it was my response that was fuzzy (although it made sense when I said it to myself..). Sorry about that...

The Stevia Glycerite is offered in two sizes...the potency is the same for both sizes.

The ickky metallic taste is something that only applies to me. I really don't do anything with Splenda (unless it is mixed with several other sweeteners) because I can't really tolerate the metallic taste I get from it. You probably are just fine. I was only indicating my personal preference for not using it.

I saw that drjlocarb suggested the powdered erythritol. IF you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting both types (if you don't have a way to grind it into powder.) But you should check the book to see whether the majority of recipes you want to try call for granulated or powdered.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Thanks for posting the link. Newbies to LC seem really confused about how to sub out sweeteners so that link is extremely helpful
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No...you were very clear...it was my response that was fuzzy (although it made sense when I said it to myself..). Sorry about that...

The Stevia Glycerite is offered in two sizes...the potency is the same for both sizes.

The ickky metallic taste is something that only applies to me. I really don't do anything with Splenda (unless it is mixed with several other sweeteners) because I can't really tolerate the metallic taste I get from it. You probably are just fine. I was only indicating my personal preference for not using it.

I saw that drjlocarb suggested the powdered erythritol. IF you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting both types (if you don't have a way to grind it into powder.) But you should check the book to see whether the majority of recipes you want to try call for granulated or powdered.
Thanks for the clarification!!