Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
Which Pages are these on?
pizza sauce p 56

pizza crust p 64

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Great Brenda, Linda, Yoey, Linnylamb and Pat - super that things are turning out mostly great! I alerted Lisa to this thread, Linda, so perhaps she can help you with the doughnut recipe. Coconut flours do differ - that has been my experience; some are more absorbent than others. Same thing with whey protein.

Brenda, I'm very happy you like the bake mix. Phew! It was not an easy task to come up with a nice bake mix. It is not perfect but works for a lot of things. I have yet to make nice cobbler or scones with it. We'll see.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 12-13-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
My cookbook came!

It is supposed to be a Christmas present but since my hubby is not home I am peeking! shhh!

Jen, is Oat flour and Oat Fiber the same thing? I was going to place a Honeyville order but their oat product is listed as fiber not flour????
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I am not Jen, but I can tell you that oat flour is NOT the same as oat fiber. And, the oat flour does NOT have to be gluten free...regular oat flour is just fine!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
thanks, Donna!
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motyok
Start Date: February 08
Linda--on the doughnuts. Yes, the batter is pretty thick. I spoon it in and spread it around with my finger or the back of a spoon. I use a doughnut pan, so rising to the top of an electric baker has not been a problem for me. I would love to try the doughnuts out in a machine. Maybe for Christmas?

Coconut flours can vary, so that might make a difference. I would consider adding another egg rather than water if your flour makes the dough too thick. That should help the rising action as well. Too much baking soda leaves a saltiness that is very unappealing, so be careful there. The consistency of the baked doughnut is not exactly like a cake, but very much like the Hostess cake doughnuts--kind of tougher and chewier.
motyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Just wanted to say "hi" Jodi. Glad to see you again!
Donna! Nice to see u too.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
LOL I went to moms yesterday and order the cookbook online and had it sent to her house. She knows she was getting it for me for christmas but she was dragging her feet. I want it christmas day!!

This is a great thread thanks
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
For Tilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
So you have a donut maker?
Yes, I have one of those little Bella mini donut makers. Not sure though if I am going to like it unless my donuts raise a little more as they don't seem to touch the top of the molds so that they brown on top. I think it might be just that there is not enough leavening in them so they are not raising enough. I'll have to play with it. But it's fun making them. This recipe of Lisa's has great possibilities I think. The taste is very good. But mine were just a little too moist and didn't raise quite enough.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa, THANK YOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motyok View Post
Linda--on the doughnuts. Yes, the batter is pretty thick. I spoon it in and spread it around with my finger or the back of a spoon. I use a doughnut pan, so rising to the top of an electric baker has not been a problem for me. I would love to try the doughnuts out in a machine. Maybe for Christmas?

Coconut flours can vary, so that might make a difference. I would consider adding another egg rather than water if your flour makes the dough too thick. That should help the rising action as well. Too much baking soda leaves a saltiness that is very unappealing, so be careful there. The consistency of the baked doughnut is not exactly like a cake, but very much like the Hostess cake doughnuts--kind of tougher and chewier.
Thank you, Lisa, for answering my post. That was so sweet of you. Can you give me a little idea of how your batter is? Is it like cake batter or a little thicker? What can you compare it to because mine all stuck in the middle of my whisk and it was almost like a bread dough that follows around the dough hook or something. So I need to know exactly what it is supposed to look like because I will definitely try these again. I probably ruined the first batch by adding too much water to thin down the batter. Also, what kind of coconut flour do you use? Mine is Bob's Red Mill. They still tasted fantastic though even if they were too moist. I ate two with my scrambled eggs this morning.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Can someone tell me...

if there is a way I can get e-mail notices when someone replies to one of my posts so I will know when someone answers my questions?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
Thank you, Lisa, for answering my post. That was so sweet of you. Can you give me a little idea of how your batter is? Is it like cake batter or a little thicker? What can you compare it to because mine all stuck in the middle of my whisk and it was almost like a bread dough that follows around the dough hook or something. So I need to know exactly what it is supposed to look like because I will definitely try these again. I probably ruined the first batch by adding too much water to thin down the batter. Also, what kind of coconut flour do you use? Mine is Bob's Red Mill. They still tasted fantastic though even if they were too moist. I ate two with my scrambled eggs this morning.
Linda,

For the coconut flour doughnuts, I used Aloha Nu brand. The batter is really thicker than a cake batter for sure. It would definitely glob up inside a whisk. Not quite as thick as a cookie dough. It can be dropped from a spoon and spread with your fingers. Does this help?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Linda,

For the coconut flour doughnuts, I used Aloha Nu brand. The batter is really thicker than a cake batter for sure. It would definitely glob up inside a whisk. Not quite as thick as a cookie dough. It can be dropped from a spoon and spread with your fingers. Does this help?
Well mine was a little more like a cookie dough and I don't think it could be dropped from a spoon without using my finger to scrap it off the spoon. Maybe next time I'll just use a little less coconut flour. I made something else that got too thick on me too. Can't remember now what it was.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgraham View Post
My cookbook came!

It is supposed to be a Christmas present but since my hubby is not home I am peeking! shhh!
You will be on Santa's naughty list, ya know!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
if there is a way I can get e-mail notices when someone replies to one of my posts so I will know when someone answers my questions?
I just looked for it, and you need to go to your control panel, then edit options. Then go to 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' and select 'instant email notification' or another one that shows when a message is posted to the thread. I don't believe you can have an email only when someone answers just your question.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Linda,

Linda,

This had me perplexed, and I just wanted to know for sure what the problem was, because I had made these over and over last spring. So into the kitchen I went. I have figured out the problem for sure. This time I had Bob's coconut flour as well and it got very thick after I added the coconut oil. That is it. In my cooler kitchen, the coconut oil solidifies more than it did over the spring and summer. That is probably what happened with yours as well. 20 seconds in the microwave oven fixed that problem and left the batter the consistency of cake batter, and very easy to work with. I think I like it better this way than the method I used in my warmer kitchen. The batter was thin enough to tap the bottom of the pan to level it out. They are in the oven now. I made a pineapple version. Smells fantastic!

Let me know if this method works for your little machine. I am hoping for a waffle stick maker for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lisa, I once had an interesting experience with the Aloha Nu coconut flour. I made one of Lauren (from Healthy Indulgences) Benning's recipes and it flopped for me which made no sense at all as I trust her recipes and not only that others were having success. I realized later that some of the batches of the Aloha Nu coconut flour were much less absorbent than other brands like Bob's Red Mill coconut flour.

Sounds like you have come up with a workable solution though.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just looked for it, and you need to go to your control panel, then edit options. Then go to 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' and select 'instant email notification' or another one that shows when a message is posted to the thread. I don't believe you can have an email only when someone answers just your question.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Tilly!!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Linda,

This had me perplexed, and I just wanted to know for sure what the problem was, because I had made these over and over last spring. So into the kitchen I went. I have figured out the problem for sure. This time I had Bob's coconut flour as well and it got very thick after I added the coconut oil. That is it. In my cooler kitchen, the coconut oil solidifies more than it did over the spring and summer. That is probably what happened with yours as well. 20 seconds in the microwave oven fixed that problem and left the batter the consistency of cake batter, and very easy to work with. I think I like it better this way than the method I used in my warmer kitchen. The batter was thin enough to tap the bottom of the pan to level it out. They are in the oven now. I made a pineapple version. Smells fantastic!

Let me know if this method works for your little machine. I am hoping for a waffle stick maker for Christmas.

It seems if I remember correctly I did heat my coconut oil before adding it to the batter because mine is like Crisco all the time. So I don't think that is going to make the batter thinner than it was before. The recipe says warmed. I just retread your reply again. Did you reheat the whole batter after you mixed it all up or what? I'm confused.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

The recipe calls for melted coconut oil, but if the coconut oil gets cold enough, it will firm up again. Cold eggs or a cold room will thicken it. Knowing that, I heated the batter with all the ingredients mixed in. 20 seconds in the microwave remelted the coconut oil and made for a perfectly smooth batter. If your room is really warm and the eggs are room temperature, the batter will not have this problem. In the spring and summer, my coconut oil is already liquid. This time of year at my house it is solid. That seems to make all the difference in the batter.

Lisa
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The recipe calls for melted coconut oil, but if the coconut oil gets cold enough, it will firm up again. Cold eggs or a cold room will thicken it. Knowing that, I heated the batter with all the ingredients mixed in. 20 seconds in the microwave remelted the coconut oil and made for a perfectly smooth batter. If your room is really warm and the eggs are room temperature, the batter will not have this problem. In the spring and summer, my coconut oil is already liquid. This time of year at my house it is solid. That seems to make all the difference in the batter.

Lisa
OK thanks Lisa. I'll try that.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Lisa
I use the defrost timer on my microwave, then I know I am not cooking anything. That is also how I measure out my coconut oil at this time of year, it melts the whole thing without cooking it.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I use the defrost timer on my microwave, then I know I am not cooking anything. That is also how I measure out my coconut oil at this time of year, it melts the whole thing without cooking it.
That's a great idea Tilly!!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Made Banana Walnut Bread on Page 61 Today

I'm telling you Jennifer has a God-given talent for creating low-carb recipes and this one is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not tell the difference in this and the real thing...honestly. It was as good and moist and texture was spot on with no kind of aftertastes at all. Even my picky husband said it tasted like the real thing. Watch it in the oven as I did not have to cook mine anywhere near the 50 min. I used one of those heavy plastic type loaf pans (light in color) to cook mine in and it wasn't quite as large as the one Jen suggested but it came out great. I think I only cooked mine 35 minutes or so. I just kept checking it every 5 min. It was simply perfect in every way as Mary Poppins would say. You will not have ANY regrets with this bread. Yummy!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I just made the Artisan Sesame Buns pg 60. I had to tweak a little, but not much. They are very good!
I talk more about them, and include pics on her Artisan Bun (improved) thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15251985 #28

Per the above posts, if I were to try to melt my coconut oil in my microwave using Its defrost setting, I'd never get it melted. It has a crazy defrost setting, & it goes off every few minutes (or seconds as would be this case), and you have to turn it back on! I pretty much never use it for anything! It does have a power setting, where I could set it for half power or different power levels, which would probably be good for such as this tho. But I rarely think about using that either.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-15-2011 at 02:10 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm telling you Jennifer has a God-given talent for creating low-carb recipes and this one is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not tell the difference in this and the real thing...honestly. It was as good and moist and texture was spot on with no kind of aftertastes at all. Even my picky husband said it tasted like the real thing. Watch it in the oven as I did not have to cook mine anywhere near the 50 min. I used one of those heavy plastic type loaf pans (light in color) to cook mine in and it wasn't quite as large as the one Jen suggested but it came out great. I think I only cooked mine 35 minutes or so. I just kept checking it every 5 min. It was simply perfect in every way as Mary Poppins would say. You will not have ANY regrets with this bread. Yummy!!
That's good to know. That is one of the things on my to cook and take to a Bible study party this Sunday. Everyone looks at me when I say I am staying on plan, like it has cooties. I should not have said anything, maybe it will get mixed in with all the other goodies. And if not, then more for me!!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #87
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Banana Walnut Bread..here I come..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much. Linda, you are very sweet. I like to think that too and want to give God credit. It's nice when one has a gift that one enjoys and that can help with the needs of others. However, that said, many here have the exact same gift and yet some! I learn all the time. One is never too old to learn something new. I was just looking at Char's cherry danish in awe! Wonder if I can make something like that and gluten-free. I'd also need to keep the fiber lower, I think, because of my finicky tummy.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
I ran out of almond flour so until it comes again I won't be able to make anymore of Jennifers wonderful recipes!!

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I agree with Linda on your God given talent, and thank you for sharing with us! And I agree with you that there are many others here on this board with that talent as well, and I thank them all for sharing their talents with us here!

Just an aside, and maybe I should just keep it to myself,,, but,,,,,,, I never was much for banana bread (and steer clear of walnuts,,, taste & allergy), so I will probably not try the banana bread. I'm not saying tho that I never will, cause I may decide some day to try it (sans the walnuts.... if I added nuts it would be pecans, but I'm not big on adding nuts to my sweet breads, etc.) someday. I'm sure that it is very good, if you like banana bread!!!
As I've said many times (and others have as well), we all have different tastes!!! What some of us love, others loath, in all foods!!! Diversity & differences make the world go round! (and keep it from being as boring) I am a huge chocolate fan, especially Dark chocolate (not so much for milk, tho it's OK). I know some people who don't like chocolate (can that be?), or who like Milk chocolate, but don't like Dark..

Anyway,,,,, Thanks again Jen (and your other's out there) for sharing your talents with us!!!

Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS all!!!!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote