Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #571
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Go: Sometimes adding some Italian seasoning to the sauce, makes it taste more Italian, I think..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goheels View Post
I just made Jen's gluten free pizza crust and it turned out well. I used Trader Joe's pizza sauce and it didn't taste very "Italian" to me, any suggestions?
Add basil to the sauce and sprinkle the finished pizza with oregano, before you drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on it. Works for me...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Thanks CarolynF and Donna, will try.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Hey, Tilly - great! You're welcome re the coil bound option. Thank Georgene for that too. She especially emailed my DH and asked for it, suggesting why it was necessary. Ironically, the perfect-bound books are still popular. I finally got my coil-bound version of volume 1 yesterday. WOW, it's really neat. I love it! I also like the perfect-bound, but it's nice to have this option. Thanks guys for putting the pressure on us - especially DH.

Tweaker, I believe you have a recipe in vol. 3. If so, please send me your address for me to send you your vol. 2 cookbook. I feel the same way - haven't had time to explore vol. 1 yet. Vol. 3 is well on the way too. lol But, 2013 will see only one book in October - we will slow them down but still make the one book extra-special.

Deb, sounds nice - would be tasty on my Jiffy Cinnamon Cookie Crackers! I often make that a quick lunch when I don't feel like cooking and I want to concentrate on dropping a bit of weight again.
I'm one of the ones who ordered the perfect bound! I love the way the coil bound lay flat, but if I use them a lot, I tear them up too quickly. Sigh! Thanks for the options!

Our families (my DH & mine and lots of others I know) have been eating what Deb calls "peanut butter pudding" for years. (Tho I haven't eaten it in years myself.) Never dreamed of calling it or thinking of it as pudding.
We ate it on biscuits, crackers, whatever! Seems there is very little new under the sun!
Sometimes syrup or honey or jelly was added to this, sometimes just the 2.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #575

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
I just made Jen's gluten free pizza crust and it turned out well. I used Trader Joe's pizza sauce and it didn't taste very "Italian" to me, any suggestions?
How about just adding italian seasoning to the sauce?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Never tried TJ's sauce. Maybe a different brand? I've always made my own but now that fresh tomatoes are coming from the garden, I just use those sliced very thin. Can put some fresh basil on top with a lot of chunks of mozzerella. Going to do this tomorrow with the Carnita meat from TJ's.

Just made the Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Boy is that moist! I used a cream cheese frosting. Goodness, that is one big cake! Guess I am going to have to freeze half of it. Very good!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #577
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tilly and Dreanchaser, will try, and I want to try the Chocolate Zucchini Cake also.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Try their (TJ's) tomato basil marinara sauce. Just a little goes a long way on a pizza--I like it much better than their pizza sauce. We use it for spaghetti and eggplant lasagne, too.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

I will pick up some the next time I'm there, thanks Diana.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made the Chocolate Zucchini Cake, it is a very good cake, very moist. I made the recipe as written except I added a tablespoon of cinnamon, it makes a lot of batter. I put some in a springform pan that I cut into layers, a mini bundt cake and 1/2 dozen cupcakes.

I did have a problem with the frosting recipe as written, 1 cup almond milk is way too much liquid for the amount of powdered erythritol and cocoa powder. I added at least another 1 to 1 1/2 cups of powdered e and didn't use all the milk. I think the next time I will use less butter, way less milk and add 2 to 4 oz. of cream cheese with the powdered e and cocoa powder.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 07-29-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi Tweaker - good that you enjoyed Carolyn's recipe.

Tilly, re the ice cream custard recipe of mine that you find is not scoopable. I made it again yesterday and today it is very scoopable straight out of the chest deep freeze.

I froze it in a sealed, deep plastic container similar to ice cream tubs that one buys at the store. I can only think of one thing that might have made the difference. I used heavy cream that comes in the boxes that can stand on the shelf for a period of time. I did not use fresh cream. This may have made a difference. This is a fantastic ice cream!! I will be serving it to guests with chilled strawberry sauce on Saturday.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #582
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Tweaker - good that you enjoyed Carolyn's recipe.

Tilly, re the ice cream custard recipe of mine that you find is not scoopable. I made it again yesterday and today it is very scoopable straight out of the chest deep freeze.

I froze it in a sealed, deep plastic container similar to ice cream tubs that one buys at the store. I can only think of one thing that might have made the difference. I used heavy cream that comes in the boxes that can stand on the shelf for a period of time. I did not use fresh cream. This may have made a difference. This is a fantastic ice cream!! I will be serving it to guests with chilled strawberry sauce on Saturday.
Ah, could be, no matter, I''l be making it again soon and I don't worry so much about whether it is too hard or not. And once it sits on the counter for a few minutes it is fine. Also, going to try 2 T. of glycerine instead of one next time.

Sharing it with guests, hmmm, I'd have to think about that one.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #583
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I saw that one but it wasn't the same as Maria's cookies.

Jen, thanks for sorting this out. I thought I was losing my mind or something, LOL. I'm going to make the cookies today but probably without the filling. I don't have any cream cheese. What I might do is fill them with my Magic Peanut Butter Pudding:

MAGIC PEANUT BUTTER PUDDING
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
2 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Put everything in a little custard dish. Mix with a spoon until thick and fluffy. At first it will look like the ingredients will never blend together but they will eventually and you'll end up with a fluffy mousse-like pudding with a light peanut butter flavor. It will transform right before your eyes like magic!

Makes 1 serving

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 202 Calories; 19g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 198 Calories; 19g Fat; 5g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
This is fantastic! I also think it would make a great cake frosting.
BitsyMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, Tilly - it is now the third day and the ice cream is finally hard. Maybe using the deep ice-cream like tub helped to also keep it scoopable longer. Normally we would finish the ice cream fairly quickly, but I made this in advance for company.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #585
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey, Tilly - it is now the third day and the ice cream is finally hard. Maybe using the deep ice-cream like tub helped to also keep it scoopable longer. Normally we would finish the ice cream fairly quickly, but I made this in advance for company.
Oh, I wonder if it has something to do with the size of the storage containers? I have to put it into small freezeable (Ziplock) containers right away, otherwise, it just disappears on me (well....... in me actually )
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fashay
It would be nice if this thread had pics....does the book have pics?
fashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #587
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginlarsen
WOE: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution
Start Date: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitsyMay View Post
Yes, I have used this as a cake frosting! To the recipe for Linda Sue's Magic Pudding, I added cocoa powder. (Don't remember how much). It made a wonderful cake frosting!!!
Ginlarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fashay - no just on the cover. It's just too expensive. Most of the top low-carb cookbooks do not have pictures. We have tons of pictures on the cookbook website and if you know the name of the author and the dish, you can do a search on the author's blog and 99% of the time, you will find the recipe and a photo. Hope that helps. We have TONS of photos on the website, on Facebook and on our blogs. I'm indexing Facebook on my blog right now to make it easier to find recipes. Hope that helps.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha, Tilly - I think finally we solved the mystery! I do think you are right - it's the size of the container that makes the difference - the deep one will allow the ice cream to freeze more slowly.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #590
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Haha, Tilly - I think finally we solved the mystery! I do think you are right - it's the size of the container that makes the difference - the deep one will allow the ice cream to freeze more slowly.
!

Referring back to your comment above, are you on Facebook? I tried to find you and "Like" you but can't.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarsen View Post
Yes, I have used this as a cake frosting! To the recipe for Linda Sue's Magic Pudding, I added cocoa powder. (Don't remember how much). It made a wonderful cake frosting!!!
Thanks for that tip! My brother is absolutely in love with peanut butter and he's having a bbq in a few weeks. I'm going to make chocolate cupcakes and frost the with this.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #592
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, the link is under my siggy. Please visit sometime. That would be great!!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #593

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
I have used it for frosting too and also to fill sandwich cookies.

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

Ohhh, sandwich cookies! Love that idea. I wonder if whipping up hwc and cream cheese would create a similar consistancy. If you were to add some Davinci's vanilla to it it could be a vanilla cream filling. Just thinking out loud here, but not everyone loves peanut butter so if I made a batch of sandwich cookies and added vanilla filling to some and peanut butter filling to others I think it would be a big hit. I'm going to have to experiment a bit this weekend.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #595

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Ohhh, sandwich cookies! Love that idea. I wonder if whipping up hwc and cream cheese would create a similar consistancy. If you were to add some Davinci's vanilla to it it could be a vanilla cream filling. Just thinking out loud here, but not everyone loves peanut butter so if I made a batch of sandwich cookies and added vanilla filling to some and peanut butter filling to others I think it would be a big hit. I'm going to have to experiment a bit this weekend.
I'm not sure if adding Da Vinci syrup would be a good thing because I think it would thin it down too much.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tilly, the link is under my siggy. Please visit sometime. That would be great!!
It is under LCing Amoung Friends, and I have "liked" it. I was searching under your name. Thank you for clearing that up!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay! Thanks, Tilly!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #598

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I just love Jennifer's pizza crust with her gluten free bake mix. I have found a terrific trick with this crust as it is so extremely simple. It is 1 egg white, 2 cups of shredded cheese and 2/3 cup of her bake mix that is it! I mix with m
y hands till it is a ball of dough. What I have found works great is to cover a pizza pan with non-stick foil from Reynolds Wrap. Then break the dough in pieces all over the pan. I have a small cup beside me with warm water in it and just dip my fingers very lightly in the water and it makes the dough spread out without sticking to my hands. I bake this for 10 minutes, top with favorite toppings and then just before baking I mix up in an old powdered Parmesan can about half parm, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, and 1 tsp dried basil and shake it up then sprinkle this over the top, adding just as much as you think you might like. This pizza is amazing!!!!!!
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #599
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anita, that's wonderful! Thank you for sharing. Love how you tweaked the pizza crust recipe!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/167.1/132
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
Just got volume 2 yesterday here in Canada - can't wait to try some new recipes!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote