Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Hope this thread doesn't die out because it is fun to see what everyone thinks of the recipes after they try them.

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
Just ordered my cookbook! Can't wait to try out the recipes. Unfortunately, it is a Christmas Present so I won't be able to try them until after Christmas!

Beth
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Question about a recipe

Jennifer, I have a question about the single piecrust recipe on pg 55 of your wonderful new cookbook??

Could I use this recipe to make a pumpkin pie? when I read the instructions it seems it is a crust that you would use for a filling that is prepared and then put into the crust without baking it anymore. I thought it might be possible to bake the crust for 5 to 7 min then put the pumpkin pie filling into it and bake the rest of the way. Do you think that would be possible?

Thanks
Pat
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 66
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
subscribing
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehousepat View Post
I made the Walnut Chocolate Chip Blondies on pg 193 They are great tasting but I think it calls for a lot of walnut oil. Next time I would use half the amount

Pat
First, how do you toast walnut oil? And second what will you sub for the other 1/2 cup of oil? I just bought some today, and as expected, it is not cheap. Thanks.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
You would need to buy Walnut oil that is already roasted. Basically, the oil is made from roasted/toasted walnuts. It is pricey and tasty!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ahhh, thanks and it does say Roasted on the front. Can't wait to try it. What would you use for the other 1/2?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
First, how do you toast walnut oil? And second what will you sub for the other 1/2 cup of oil? I just bought some today, and as expected, it is not cheap. Thanks.
Tilly, I am glad you found the toasted walnut oil!!
I would just use the 1/2 cup of oil and not replace it with anything else.
It was extremely oily so I don't think it needs anything else.

Pat

Last edited by litehousepat; 12-08-2011 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: spelling wrong
Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tilly, I am glad you found the toasted walnut oil!!
I would just use the 1/2 cup of oil and not replace it with anything else.
It was extremely oily so I don't think it needs anything else.

Pat
Thank you! Can't wait just to open it and smell it!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Beth!

Pat, I definitely think you can do that with the pie crust. In the last 15 minutes or so - check that it is not browning too much. You may need to make a foil tent to cover it.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Beth!

Pat, I definitely think you can do that with the pie crust. In the last 15 minutes or so - check that it is not browning too much. You may need to make a foil tent to cover it.

Thanks Jen!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Tonight for dinner I made the low-carb scalloped potatoes on pg 307.
I had a ham slice that I cubed up and put about 8 oz of the ham to make it a main dish instead of a side dish. It was quite tasty & the jicama tasted like potato. After boiling the jicama for 15 min to peel the skin and 1 hr in oven the jicama was crunchy but very tasty.

Pat
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread Page 259

I just had to try this recipe because I could not believe this made bread but it did. I do not think I would want to make a sandwich out of this bread but it was very good cut sorta thin with cream cheese on it. I must say that I made mine with SF peanut butter sweetened with Splenda and also put two drops of Sweetzfree in it forgetting that my peanut butter had Splenda in it so that may be why I did not like it as well as others did. But I must say the texture was very good and it would hold up very well for sandwiches, toast, etc. I baked mine in a smaller type loaf pan but not the mini ones. Not sure of the size but it was not the 9 x 5 one. It rose to maybe 2-1/2 inches, maybe more in the center of the loaf. I think it would be good toasted but haven't tried it yet that way. I also put an extra egg in mine because my large eggs were on the small size. Very unique recipe though. Who woulda thought...

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Made the Ginger Beer and making Chocolate Chuck cookies today.
You didn't tell us your opinion of the recipes. Were they good or not so good?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Sandwich Bread Page 59

I already posted a review of this bread separately but I will again say that this bread is so good. I like it best warmed for about 12 seconds in the microwave and spread with butter and apricot preserves (SF of course). Yum!! To me it is more like the texture of my high carb cornbread I used to make which was a very moist, yummy cornbread and not very sweet at all. Only this is thinner. It's hard to explain this one. Not like a regular bread at all but so good. You can toast it, grill it, whatever you want to do with it and it's good every way. And best of all no yucky aftertaste at all. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
You didn't tell us your opinion of the recipes. Were they good or not so good?
Sorry, the ginger beer was/is very good. I am now using the ginger beer to flavor my noontime hot tea. If you do that, then I recommend using just a little at a time. If combined with the flavored water (which I tried as well) then I recommend more than the recipe says. Just turned cold here, so don't want cold soda/water.

I was going to make the cookies but had not finished some fudge I had. I try to limit myself to having one sweet at a time in the house (only one here to eat it, oh darn ). I just finished off some of Jennifers sweetened nuts and think I am done with the fudge. And instead of tossing it, may just cut it up and sub that for some of the chocolate chips. Hate to throw stuff out.

Was just putting the dry ingredients together for the chocolate chip cookies. I try to do that when making things, so that when I get home and see it is half done, then I finish it up. Saves time later and sooner I can stick my face in these yummy recipes!

Oh my gosh there are soooo many. And not only great recipes that I have not seen online, but wonderful information and references. Anyone reading those? (I know we are just eating our way through this book, ) I had no idea that this WOEing is not only a great weight loss program (as we all know by now) but it does wonderful things to our insides.

And for the small tidbits at the bottom, those are quite useful as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I am getting this book for christmas. I am really excited!

Can someone please give me a shopping list of ingrediants I will need to make most of the recipes. I want to make sure I put an order into netrition so I have everything on hand. Please include sweetners I should get ect.

Thanks!!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
I am getting this book for christmas. I am really excited!

Can someone please give me a shopping list of ingrediants I will need to make most of the recipes. I want to make sure I put an order into netrition so I have everything on hand. Please include sweetners I should get ect.

Thanks!!
This really is the gift that keeps on giving. What a great Christmas gift, JKat! Not sure what kinds of things you like to eat. It looks like you have been here a long time, so you must have some things in your pantry already. But I will go by what recipes I have marked. You may have these items already. A liquid sucraclose (I use EZ-Sweetz from Netrition), granulated erythritol (powdered too if you want but you can powder the granulated), xanthan gum, almond flour (got to make Jennifer's gluten free mix!), coconut oil, gluten free oat flour (used to make Jen's mix), coconut flour (to make Jen's mix and is used in other recipes). So many ingredients are regular items purchased in the grocery store.

That's what I came up with, anyone else have any ideas? Not sure where you live and what stores you have nearby, JKat, but maybe some of these you can find locally. Then again, compare prices. I have found a lot of items are cheaper from Netrition and with their one price shipping, ends up cheaper than trucking over to a store (odd but true). Good luck and let us know what you buy and what you think when you read through this book. (I finished today and going back through again. Daughter coming home from college Monday so have to start making dinners again, lots of ideas in it.)

Last edited by Tilly; 12-09-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thank u tilly. A lot of it I get at whole foods! I want to be ready.

Please post if u think of anything else.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Subbing
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I too can get a lot of it at WF's but again, compare prices with Netrition. Most are cheaper there. If you get the liquid Stevia NuNaturals, Netrition is a whole lot cheaper on that item as well. And since you have some time before you get the book, I would do some comparison shopping. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Ok. Today I made the banana bread in the book. I decided to put the batter in muffin tins instead of bread. I just had one warm and it was so GOOD!! I am in love with these. I really can not tell the difference between these and regular. Yum.
I also made the fudgey peanut butter coconut squares. They are still chilling in the fridge but the batter tasted awesome. I want to make the apricot chicken tomorrow!, I hope to see some more cookie recipes soon. This new bake mix is great. Love it!!!
I took my blueberry muffin to the Christmas breakfast and everyone wanted to know where there's was. Ha.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Made the blueberry muffins today. YUMMO!

Pat
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Made the Coconut Flour Donuts Page 261

I can tell that these are going to be delicious; however, when I got my batter made it was so thick I could not get it out of my whisk so I kept adding water to get a decent batter and then when I made my donuts they were a little too moist inside but the taste is "right on". Reminded me of the donuts I used to buy at the flea market where they make those fresh mini donuts with either powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar. I do not know why my batter turned out so thick and now I don't know what it is supposed to be like so if anyone makes these, let me know how yours turned out. The only flour in them was 1/4 c. coconut flour. I also think they could have stood just a tad more baking soda because I could not get them to raise enough to hit the top of my donut maker and they did not brown on top. The second batch I put a little more batter in and they finally got brown on top but it was a little too much batter for the maker I think. Anyway, if I can get these "cake-like" they will be yummy! I still ate them though. Ha!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
I can tell that these are going to be delicious; however, when I got my batter made it was so thick I could not get it out of my whisk so I kept adding water to get a decent batter and then when I made my donuts they were a little too moist inside but the taste is "right on". Reminded me of the donuts I used to buy at the flea market where they make those fresh mini donuts with either powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar. I do not know why my batter turned out so thick and now I don't know what it is supposed to be like so if anyone makes these, let me know how yours turned out. The only flour in them was 1/4 c. coconut flour. I also think they could have stood just a tad more baking soda because I could not get them to raise enough to hit the top of my donut maker and they did not brown on top. The second batch I put a little more batter in and they finally got brown on top but it was a little too much batter for the maker I think. Anyway, if I can get these "cake-like" they will be yummy! I still ate them though. Ha!
So you have a donut maker?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Hubby made Kent Altena's Swedish meatballs for us last night. Pretty good! I would make them again.

Not sure what to try next. All of the recipes look so good. Maybe Jennifer's broccoli quiche, but it probably won't be until next week.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I made the pizza sauce & pizza crust & constructed an Italian sausage pizza. Delicious!!

Pat
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:

Just wanted to say "hi" Jodi. Glad to see you again!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsOverSugar
Stats: 275/251.4/150
WOE: LCHF + 5 Rules of Mastering Leptin
Start Date: Over and over everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnylamb View Post
Hubby made Kent Altena's Swedish meatballs for us last night. Pretty good! I would make them again.

Not sure what to try next. All of the recipes look so good. Maybe Jennifer's broccoli quiche, but it probably won't be until next week.
I made the quiche last night and just had a slice for breakfast. It was fantastic!! Yummy and very filling. Even my picky 7 yr old loved it.
ItsOverSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Quote:
I made the pizza sauce & pizza crust & constructed an Italian sausage pizza. Delicious!!

Pat
Which Pages are these on?
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote