Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
ROFL Thanks for the laugh, Tilly. You are too funny! I am happy you are doing so well on this WOL. It's awesome!

Pam, the publisher will look into the cost again, but chances are not everyone feels the way you do about the expense. It might also increase shipping costs as well as there is a tendency for damage at the Post Office. Time will tell. I asked the publisher (DH) again....asked him to figure out with the printers what the deal is. I can't tell you how many times I have brought up this subject...I might be in trouble one of these days.

I just use my transparent perspex cookbook holder - keeps my book clean too, however, I would not complain if the cookbook were spiral bound. Oh well. I've always wanted a cookbook with lots of beautiful photos - don't think that's going to happen either. I'm so green - my friend Judy Barnes Baker has 2 cookooks like that; looks like an heirloom type of thing - something one would pass down to the next generation. I need to do a review of her book shortly; just been so busy. Love her cookbooks and highly recommend them! Incidentally, they are not spiral-bound either. Sadly, we just didn't have the money for something like that. Judy is going to be one of the authors in volume 3.

Thanks, Jennifer. If you email me privately sometime, I'll tell you. I don't want to mention where I live publicly - we eloped - 'nuff said!
I'm an oddball out! I prefer that it not be spiral bound! Both because of extra cost, but also because I tend to tear the books up if they are spiral bound & I use them a lot. Guess I'm hard on them! I end up with books with no cover, and some of the pages missing, or at leas some of the pages torn away or off. Within the first week of having my new (not new now) KA mixer, I had a page half torn out of my manual! Sigh!!
I love that they stay flat & open, but they just aren't durable enough for me. But you guys get so excited about getting them done, I get to thinking, I'd love to do that,,,,,,, then I remember. Sigh!

Jenn, I finally found my cookbook stand. I'm not sure if it is a persplex, but it looks (If I remember correctly) like yours. I've started using it again.

I have a feeling that if most people can get them bound for only $5 (it used to be more like 15), it would probably be cheaper than the extra costs for printing & shipping!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Yikes. I hope it is $5 like someone said they paid. I actually dropped 3 cookbooks off without asking how much it would be. I think I will call them tomorrow and check on that.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
Yikes. I hope it is $5 like someone said they paid. I actually dropped 3 cookbooks off without asking how much it would be. I think I will call them tomorrow and check on that.
I got some bound at Kinkos one time and they were considerably higher. I really wanted it done and now Staples is closer to my home. I did ask before binding, even though I probably would have had it done anyway.

Jennifer, I would keep it like it is, and not add to the cost. Some want it bound and some don't, as for pictures, I'm sure that would add to the cost as well. So I vote to keeping it as is. Okay, down from my soapbox, now,
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I got my new cookbook last week, and haven't had a whole lot of time to peruse (yes, I like to read recipe books like novels).

When I did, though, I kept running across things I'd like to try, then couldn't remember where they were. I think the new index (linked above somewhere) is very helpful. I downloaded it and printed it out, and am perusing and highlighting recipes I want to look at and try.

I have been a member of this board for a number of years and it is exciting to see so many familiar "friends" contributing to this effort. Thank you everyone, and especially for Jennifer for coming up with this collaboration and making it happen!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Just my two cents: I know that indexing a book like this may well have been the hardest part --

Would love to see a kind of data base (online maybe?) where you could sort by main ingredient, course, type of food, etc. For example, I would like to look under the category "seafood", then find "shrimp", then see "shrimp, coconut, Mary's Crispy". Does that make sense? Gosh, makes me want to work on it!!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #456
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Just rcvd my book. Love it! I have Maria's book also.

Question about oat flour; does it raise insulin levels like wheat?

I would like to make the bake mix.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Tried the Swirl cookies on pg 144. They taste great but I am laughing so hard right now at how ugly mine are. The dough log just would not hold its shape (even stuck it in the frig in hopes to get it round). So mine are smushed ovals. I think next time I will make the dough and just add cinnamon and sugar to it to make it a drop cookie. I don't think pretty cookie logs are in my future lol
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Pam, the publisher will look into the cost again, but chances are not everyone feels the way you do about the expense. It might also increase shipping costs as well as there is a tendency for damage at the Post Office. Time will tell. I asked the publisher (DH) again....asked him to figure out with the printers what the deal is. I can't tell you how many times I have brought up this subject...I might be in trouble one of these days.

Your editor probably knows best. I did a bit of research on spiral-binding versus comb-binding to see which one would be better since I could have done the comb-binding at work for free but for what I wanted the spiral-binding was the best option. I did remember reading that one drawback to spiral-binding is that the wire can easily get damaged in shipping where the plastic comb-binders tend to hold up better but a flat glued book would be much easier to ship with the threat of very little to no damage.

I'll just keep taking mine to Staples.

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-17-2012 at 08:06 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
You guys are really sweet. Pam, you are correct in your findings.

There is a small possibility that we'll provide both options. We'd have to ask our American friend in Florida to ship the spiral-bound books separately from the ones that go out from Amazon. Time will tell. No promises - just something DH ran by me today.

LiroGe88, hey, as long as your swirl cookies tasted nice, that's what counts. To tell you the truth - I hardly ever get log cookies round either!

Stevie, oat flour on its own would be a problem, but I think diluted in the Bake Mix it's fine for many people. If you have diabetes, you may have to moderate how much you have at a sitting of baked goodies, depending on how your blood sugar reacts. Dr. Davis who wrote Wheat Belly mentioned that oat flour in moderation was one of the better grains. The reason I used it is because I wanted my baking to taste more normal. Someone mentioned they prefer sorghum flour. I've never tried that before. If you prefer, and you don't have to be gluten-free, you may use my Splendid Low-Carb Bake mix (no flour and a lot lower in carbs) - just check the instructions at the bottom of my gluten-free bake mix recipe or check my blog for both recipes and it's fairly easy to figure out how to substitute it.

Wow, Diana - that would be neat. Certainly would be something to think about. If you're smart like that - sure, I'll give you the job. I'm surprised you got a book with the old index. When did you order? Ah, sorry, I just spoke to the publisher and he said the new books were sent a week ago and there were a few of the first edition leftover at Amazon. He also said - thanks for the tip!

Billie, you are too funny!! Glad you found your cookbook stand. I use mine all the time. I don't have much surface space and when I get going in the kitchen, it gets crazy in there - my cookbook would be in grave danger if it were not for that cracked old cookbook stand of mine.

Tilly, thank you for your kindness.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 03-17-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #460

Thank you Jennifer.
I value Dr Davis opinion very much. I am not diabetic or prediabetic but if I shared the recipe with someone who could be, I wanted to know.

So thanks again
Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Just rcvd my book. Love it! I have Maria's book also.

Question about oat flour; does it raise insulin levels like wheat?

I would like to make the bake mix.
Any carbohydrate, when eaten in the absence of protein and/or fat, will raise insulin levels because the pancreas will release insulin in response to the amount of sugar in the blood. This is why for me, eating an apple all by itself will create a blood spike and then I'll be hungry shortly thereafter because the insulin released from my pancreas has done its job and swept the excess sugar from my blood.

If I may Jen.....Jennifer's Gluten Free Bake Mix, has only a small quantity of oat flour in proportion to the almond flour (less than 2:1 actually). The almond flour, because it is mostly fat with some protein will absolutely moderate the body's response to the carb in the oat flour. So unless a person has a sensitivity or an allergic reaction to the oat flour, the insulin impact should be lessened.

I use Jen's mix exclusively and my DH who is T2-Db, has never had a reaction...but then again, he always eats some protein along with whatever I have made using Jen's mix, just as a extra buffer.

HTH

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Any carbohydrate, when eaten in the absence of protein and/or fat, will raise insulin levels because the pancreas will release insulin in response to the amount of sugar in the blood. This is why for me, eating an apple all by itself will create a blood spike and then I'll be hungry shortly thereafter because the insulin released from my pancreas has done its job and swept the excess sugar from my blood.

If I may Jen.....Jennifer's Gluten Free Bake Mix, has only a small quantity of oat flour in proportion to the almond flour (less than 2:1 actually). The almond flour, because it is mostly fat with some protein will absolutely moderate the body's response to the carb in the oat flour. So unless a person has a sensitivity or an allergic reaction to the oat flour, the insulin impact should be lessened.

I use Jen's mix exclusively and my DH who is T2-Db, has never had a reaction...but then again, he always eats some protein along with whatever I have made using Jen's mix, just as a extra buffer.

HTH
It did help, thank you for posting
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #463
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
It did help, thank you for posting
Oh good...I didn't want to come across as some kind of expert so I wanted to use my own and DH's experience to help explain.

I am glad to know that it helped.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna, you did a great job of explaining that to Stevie - better than I did. Thank you so much, my friend. So good to "see" you here again.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #465
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MSBONES
i don't know if this has been asked - there are 16 pages. I just got this wonderful book yesterday and I was wondering if carbquick could be used in place of Gluten-Free Bak mix?
MSBONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gee, I don't think so. That is a very different product. I'm not very familiar with it, but I'm thinking back to Carbalose flour and I don't think so. However, you can choose any of my bake mixes and mix them half and half with Carbalose flour. That works really, really well - sometimes better than a bake mix on its own!!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #467
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniferO
I hope people don't mind that I'm still singing the praises of this book, but I came to this thread a little late and I'm still making thrilling discoveries.

I made the English Muffin recipe for breakfast this morning -- WOW! I love it! This means we can have Eggs Benedict again! Got to try that soon. Jennifer, I hope you'll be putting that recipe in the next volume so I have it in a book.

I've been cooking out of this cookbook now for a few weeks and it is my absolute favorite and most-used cookbook. Besides several batches of the Gluten-Free Bake mix, I've made:

Ginger beer, p.18
Apple Curry Meat Loaf p. 32 (like most meatloaves, even better the second day -- yummy, in fact)
Char’s Ribs p. 43 ( to die for)
Sandwich bread p59
Banana Walnut Bread p. 61
Jennifer’s Pizza Crust p 64 - made this on a cookie sheet, but now bought a 12" pizza pan for the next time. Very good.
Blueberry Muffins p 65 - bought blueberries to make these a third time.
Delicious Ham and “potato” soup p 99 - wonderful
Scalloped “faux” tatoes p. 124
“Bread” Pudding p 150
Roasted Cauliflower with Feta and Walnuts p 179
Baked Zucchini Fries with Chili Lime Mayonnaise p 180 (such good flavors!)
Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake (Made 1/3 recipe in 8 x 8 pan. Tasted like "real" cake.)
Turkey,Spinach and Feta Burgers p 238 -- made these twice
Crock Pot Jambalaya p 244
Crock Pot Country Pork Ribs p 245
Coconut Apricot Chicken p 246
Twice Baked Squash Casserole p 250
Broccoli Bacon Salad p 279
Eggplant Parmesan, p. 298

I've also made two recipes from Maria's book -- peanut butter donuts and her lemon poppy seed muffins -- both excellent. I bought Maria's sweets book for my Kindle and now have ordered the print book because it will be easier to find recipes and I want to see the color pictures.

We have loved every single recipe in the LCAF book!

Years ago a favorite meal for my family was minute steaks sliced and cooked with barbecue sauce alongside a boxed potatoes au gratin (made from tons of chemicals and dehydrated potatoes). I haven't had that combination of flavors in years (I avoid all those boxed mixes now. I can't believe we used to eat such unhealthy junk). This week I made Char's Ribs with the wonderful barbecue sauce recipe and the scalloped faux tatoes and both were the familiar flavors but much better than the stuff we used to eat. I was especially delighted with the "potatoes" made from cauliflower stems. We have to have that meal again very soon.

I have a long list of more recipes to try from the book.

I've made the blueberry muffins twice, and am ripening up some bananas to make the banana walnut bread a second time. I took a slice of the banana bread to school and offered a piece to a friend who has just been told by his doctor to lay off the sugar. He's a retired school superintendent who is almost 80. He ate the bread and said, "That's the best banana bread I've ever had." I'm going to have to make him his own loaf to take home!

Whoever thought up the idea of putting Monterey Jack cheese into the bread recipes is a genius. Once again, thank you for this book, Jennifer and co-authors. I don't know how I ever got along without it!
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
JenniferO - I'm with you, I've used this cookbook more than any other single cookbook that I have, I think. I've made quite a few recipes and I make a star rating in the index and write any changes I made to the recipe on the recipe page itself. There are so many wonderful recipes in this book and so many more that I want to try. Here's some I've made so far:

Artisan Sesame Hamburg Buns
Bacon and Cheese Onion Spread
Glazed Five Spice Meatballs
Banana Walnut Bread
Blackbottom Marble Cheesecake
Pumpkin Chip Muffins
Protein Waffles
Sausage Quiche
Cheeseburger Stuffed Buns
Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Choc Peanut Butter Candy
Coconut Flour Doughnuts
Coconutty Crackers
Creme Fraiche
Crock Pot Country Ribs
Homemade Buttermilk
Fluffy Diner-Style Pancakes
LC Fried Chicken
Char's Ribs
Smoked Gouda Cauliflower
Ranch Dressing
Orange Cardamom Yogurt Cake
Orange Glaze

This is the only cookbook that has never made it to my cookbook bookcase, it's either on the kitchen counter or next to my chair when I'm watching TV. I know I've said it before but I Love This Cookbook!!! Thank you Jen, Maria, Carolyn, Kent and Lisa; your love of cooking and healthy lifestyle are beneficial for all of us and we all so appreciate your time and effort sharing with us in the wonderful book format!

Oh, any I'm planning to make the Chinese Orange Chicken tomorrow.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-01-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, oh wow!! Please don't ever stop liking our cookbook; makes me a very happy camper to hear that you love it!! THANK you Jennifer and Tweaker Geek - I read every recipe that you guys liked. Awesome! Fun to see what you made.

Yes, Jennifer, I'm putting the English Muffin recipe in the new one. As well, as several other recipes that are very quick - Jiffy bun, Jiffy cracker, etc. I'm editing Ginny Larsen's cookbook right now (Ginny's Low-Carb Kitchen) and she has an English muffin in there too and some other quick bread-like items -so this will be a fun book with plenty of choices. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading her recipes. She is good!! That's a very sweet story about the old man and the banana bread. You are very kind.

LOL The cheese? Probably was the original author of the aritsan bread - I think her name was Sherrielee. She just disappeared several years ago from the low-carb community - sadly. She was very talented. Then Peggy (Buttoni) worked on her recipe, tweaking it, and after that I got the idea to work on Peggy's version to make it gluten-free and so the recipes sort of evolved, but Sherrielee was the orginal brainchild, I think.

You made me smile broadly too, Tweaker - so nice that you enjoy the book.

I'm working very hard most days to bring you hopefully an even nicer, more value-added cookbook soon - probably July/August timeframe. We are trying for July.

We're looking into spiral-bound cookbooks - will keep you posted on this thread with any update in that regard.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Geez Jen, I won't be through the first book by July~, but keep 'em coming. Love that your looking into spiral binding, I have a canvas tote with seven cookbooks that I plan to take in to have spiral bound, I've used them over and over with cans of green beans or tomatoes or whatever to hold them open and I guess I am finally tired of doing it that way, can't stand the books in my recipe book holder with cans holding it open - lol! I find recipes much easier to follow if the recipe is standing up in front of me rather than lying on the counter.

I love that English muffin recipe, I make up 6 at a time and put them in the freezer, always have one on hand when I'm in a hurry. I like them for hamburger buns also.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 04-02-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Tweaker - you are very organized! I have quick Jiffy Bun that you might like even more - it's soft-textured like a bun should be. I'll be posting it on my blog one of these days and maybe here too. Yep, I'd like spiral bound as well for the next cookbook.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, go to page 75 and make Jennifer's ice cream. Oh my gosh, it is amazing. I have made it twice now. The first time forgot the salt and used only liquid sweetener. Pretty soupy but tasty. Today I used 2/3 granular Splenda and 1/3 liquid and remembered the salt. PERFECT! I also used a recipe of Lauren's hot sauce w/o the extra water, added this in the last 5 minutes of making the ice cream. Whoa, that is actually too good. I had to make myself put the container back into the freezer this evening. I have all kinds of possibilities for flavors, including peanut butter, butter pecan, gosh, I think I just gained the 8 lbs. I just dropped (from adding it over the winter), sigh..... I may have to give up other food so I can eat this all summer! This evening while eating it, it had crunchy bits of chocolate all through it. Off to bed with me so I stop this.

Oh and a p.s., I use the egg whites for a skinny meal the next day (got to from all this ice cream!). Thanks Jennifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 04-02-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #473
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
JenniferO Could you point me toward the English muffin recipe, can't seem to locate it.
Thanks so much
Nancy
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Tilly - you are so funny!!

Remember the liquid sucralose I use are small drops from EZ-Sweetz bottle (see Netrition)? What did you use? Something like DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup?

Nancy - here you go: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-included.html
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #475
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
Thanks, Jennifer!! I am having knee surgery on Friday, so spending today cooking and freezing for next week. I think the English muffin recipe is easy enough that DH will be able to put it together for us for some nice breakfasts.
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I saw where Jennifer mentioned Sherrielee in the above post and I remembered that I saw a post from her just the other day. I wonder if it's the same Sherrilee.

Here's the thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...rect-farm.html
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
LOL Tilly - you are so funny!!

Remember the liquid sucralose I use are small drops from EZ-Sweetz bottle (see Netrition)? What did you use? Something like DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup?

Nancy - here you go: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-included.html
I used the EZ Sweetz as well. I am going to try and use all liquid (no Splenda granular) next time but remember the salt. I hope that works
Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, Tilly, not sure why yours turned out a bit soupy - I guess in the beginning the ice cream is definitely soft serve - then one freezes it and it hardens. Glad you liked it though.

Nancy, hope all goes well with the knee surgery and that the recovery is quicker than expected. Sounds like you have a very special DH.

Pam, I'm curious - so will check out your link. Hope it is Sherrielee - great lady! She also loves horses like you and is an artist as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Jennifer Eloff;15552435]Okay, Tilly, not sure why yours turned out a bit soupy - I guess in the beginning the ice cream is definitely soft serve - then one freezes it and it hardens. Glad you liked it though.

That was the first batch. I am eating batch #2 now. That is ice cream!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #480
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MSBONES
The Walnut Chocolate Chip Blondies on page 193.
I am omitting the walnuts, just because I am not a fan a nuts in baked goods.
I also don’t have Walnut oil – what can I use in place of this oil? If it was just for flavor I would use Vanilla Syrup, but I am thinking some sort of ‘oil’ needs to be in this recipe. Can anyone help? Thanks
MSBONES is offline   Reply With Quote