Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #421
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Babe, you might really enjoy this thread - lots of good feedback on various recipes here!

And yes, OUR VERY OWN JEN who gives so selflessly of her time and recipes on this very board. I love supporting her!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...uve-tried.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
My daughter Chris wrote me tonight that she had made Kent Altena, Eggplant Parmesan
on page 298. She not only thought it was simple to make but simply
delicious. Her DF thought so too.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowulf
Stats: 415/221/225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
My daughter Chris wrote me tonight that she had made Kent Altena, Eggplant Parmesan
on page 298. She not only thought it was simple to make but simply
delicious. Her DF thought so too.
That is very nice of her to say. I never liked eggplant before doing Atkins for many years, and now I will eat the fried eggplant disks by themselves. :-)
bowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowulf
Stats: 415/221/225
Start Date: April 1, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I can't seem to find that index on the website??? Can somebody leave me a trail with low carb breadcrumbs please, lol.
Here is the link to the latest index.
bowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Kent--we made your rub to put on ribs and chicken quarters for the smoker last weekend--turned out great!!! It was so nice to find one in the cookbook! I don't think there are rubs out there without some type of sugar in them! and it wasn't too spicy either--I am not a spicy person!! Thanks!!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, Maizenbluebabe, Char, Esther - what can I possibly say to such wonderful praise?

Maizenbluebabe, I'm thrilled that you feel that way and really would in all honesty have to admit that my fellow low-carbing authors and contributing low-carbing friend authors make me look good, or should I say, make my work look good. What can I say? That's the truth. I'm surrounded by super-talented people!

I am glad I went gluten-free, my DH is and now one of my sons, and I think you will be too, and especially when you see your husband's health improve. My new Gluten-Free bake mix can be used instead of my other bake mixes. Just follow the instructions carefully and soon it will be easier.

I did go and read your review on Amazon - (mountaindweller - I am one too!) and I was blown away. It's a very good review. THANK you so much!! It's kind of a funny feeling reading it - humbling, makes me feel good about things and very encouraging too - spurs me on! I need that as sometimes whilst editing, it just seems like plain old hard work with nothing but years ahead of me of doing the same - good thing I mostly enjoy it and that one of these days my son, Jonathan, will be helping me. We will continue to work very hard to bring more of the same to you and others like you each year (2 books per year) with some exciting new authors as well, plus even more low-carbing friends contributing their recipes and talents. That's the goal anyway. Thanks again for your enthusiasm, kindness and for making my year!! You guys are the best of the best! Love my low-carbing friends and lowcarbfriends.com!!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
It's truly well-deserved praise, Jen. Your cookbooks are delightful and enrich the journeys of all low-carbers. They can rely on your recipes' results, and that cannot be said of all low-carb recipes one comes across out there. THAT's what I like about your bake mixes and recipes! Results I can RELY on!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I made Jen's Banana Walnut Bread (without walnuts) p. 61 yesterday and it was delicious! I tweaked it a tad, however. I just posted pics and a review on my website about my results. This one's a keeper, Jen!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I made Jen's Banana Walnut Bread (without walnuts) p. 61 yesterday and it was delicious! I tweaked it a tad, however. I just posted pics and a review on my website about my results. This one's a keeper, Jen!
Buttoni, I just popped over to your blog. I like the tips you gave in your review.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowulf View Post
That is very nice of her to say. I never liked eggplant before doing Atkins for many years, and now I will eat the fried eggplant disks by themselves. :-)
Kent, I haven't tried this particular recipe yet, but I have really enjoyed all of the others I have tried. I think I'm a little addicted to your taco bake. My husband is a big fan of your recipes too.

Quick question if you happen to see this (or anyone else can chime in too): I enjoy your white pizza recipe. It's even great cold. I made it both as directed and with the addition of a little oat fiber, which seems to firm it up a little. Have you ever used that same crust for a red sauce pizza? I still haven't found another lc pizza crust that I like as much. I am also trying to stay gluten free, so I can't try some of the recipes that others have found successful.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Thanks for the updated index. I am printing it out now.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #432
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniferO
I am liking this cookbook more every day. I made the sandwich bread yesterday. I was quite surprised at the taste even after reading all the comments. With all that cheese in it (12 oz cream cheese, 8 oz monterey jack) it doesn't taste like cheese at all. It tastes like bread. I find splitting the pieces in two horizontally is challenging, but I had toast with my eggs this morning for the first time in over a year when I discovered I had to give up gluten-y low carb bread.

I bought the ingredients for several more recipes for this week, (found the aluminum free baking powder at Whole Foods -- never thought about that before) and I still have two bananas ripening in a secret hiding place (otherwise DH or sons would eat them) to make that banana bread. I have an order in to Netrition for some peanut flour. I'm looking forward to trying that peanut bread and a few other recipes that call for it.

I bought some corned beef and some cabbage to make a St. Patrick's Day dinner, and I began to wonder if I could concoct a substitute for Irish soda bread with the LC bake mix. I think maybe even adding some currants or a few snipped raisins and some caraway seed to the sandwich bread might make a really decent substitute. This is soo exciting!

I realized this morning that for the first time I feel truly free of the burden of having to follow a restricted diet to be healthy. There are so many delicious things to eat without feeling deprived that I never need to entertain thoughts of eating things that are dangerous to my health again. If I can eat bread made from almonds and cheese and "bread" pudding made from eggplant, I can have cookies and muffins and donuts that all taste wonderful, why should I ever feel deprived?

Last edited by JenniferO; 03-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: clarity
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maizenbluebabe View Post
A year or so ago, I got volumes 1-5 and thought nothing could be any better than that. Oh, I was SO wrong! Now "our Jen" has been joined by some of our most creative and treasured LC Friends and heroes and you get to sit down with that wonderful new book and visit with them. I started reading and could not put it down, and was so glad I had sent in an order to Netrition on MOnday for some of the things I anticipated I would need for the wonderful things I knew would be in the pages of that book. My book arrived yesterday and my super duper Netrition order came today. (The book is so outstanding that I actually wrote my very first Amazon review about it a bit ago.) No one will be be hearing from me for awhile--I will be too busy playing in my kitchen.

PS--I might add that the idea of GLUTEN FREE has become a great factor in my meal planning as I am suspicious that my husband is gluten sensitive (He was tested for Celiac disease a few years ago and was told "you have some of the markers, but not all of them, so you dont have Celiac, and and you don't need to worry about it." Meanwhile his symptoms have persisted and gotten worse.)
Maybe someone has responded to this already, but you don't have to have full blown Celiac to be sensitive to gluten, as I have found out recently. And not so sure doctors are taking that seriously, but we have to take care of ourselves and listen to what our bodies are telling us. A doctor does not know us as well as we do.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peggy, that's great! I saw the pic and your banana bread looks impressive! I did comment on your blog too.

Brenda, you're welcome. In future, the indices will look like that from the get-go.

Jennifer, so happy you like that bread. Check out this thread too for an even easier bread when you don't have the time to go to the trouble of making the other one: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...lots-pics.html

Also, the English Muffin thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-included.html

LOL on hiding the bananas from DH and son!!

Funny you should say that about the Irish Soda Bread - it's on my list to try.

I am so glad you feel that way about your WOE now. Sometimes I think in some small way, I work so hard at all of this, because just like you, I don't want to feel like it is a burden or that I am being deprived on my special diet. I can't stand the feeling of deprivation or feeling like I want something that I cannot eat.

We're going to be fine. It's actually fun taking care of our health and eating well at the same time.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly - very wise words!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

Meyer Lemon Curd Bars are fantastic!
Hi Jennifer and other LC cooks. Could you tell me where the recipe for the meyer lemon curd bars is? I have looked through the book several times and can't find it.

Also, I would like to make Maria's peanut butter cookie candy bar recipe on page 141 and I need to substitute the stevia glycerite the recipe calls for with my NuNaturals NuStevia powder OR my NuNaturals pure stevia extract. Can anyone help me covert either of those for the stevia glycerite?The recipe calls for 1 tsp.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly, page 191 for the Meyer Lemon Curd Bars.

All I know is that 1 tsp of Stevia glycerite is 1 cup sweetener/sugar equivalent. HTH
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Beverly, page 191 for the Meyer Lemon Curd Bars.

All I know is that 1 tsp of Stevia glycerite is 1 cup sweetener/sugar equivalent. HTH
good grief, I don't know how I missed it. Thanks so much.

And yes, knowing the equivalent helps a lot.

Thank you! I love this book. Does anyone else read cookbooks like they are a good novel? I love to read through the recipes and can almost taste the products. Thank you thank you thank you!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome! Yep, that's me too - love reading cookbooks. Check out the new index in this thread - it will help you locate recipes more easily.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
I may have just missed it but is this book sprial bound?
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
No, it isn't. Some people have been taking them & having them spiral bound. It was cost prohibitive for them to have the printers do it for the book sales. (not sue if that came out the way I meant it, but hopefully you understand what I meant)
They did talk about this earlier in this thread. (But I realize there are a LOT of pages!)
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
I had it done and glad I did it. It was about $5 at my local Staples. Now I can leave it open to the next recipe I want to try!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #443
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OH now I want mine spiral bound!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #444
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniferO
THANK YOU for the links to the other recipes. I am not seeing the pictures, but the recipes sound really good. I'm especially happy for recipes that make a small amount and are quick. I think adding some caraway seed to the raisin bread might seem a lot like Irish soda bread, so I'm going to try it.

I had a conversation with a colleague at work this morning. She's trying to eat low carb, grain free and anti-inflammatory. She told me she has just discovered almond meal and uses it in meatloaf and to bread chicken. I told her about some of the recipes in LCAF and she's going to get the book for herself. I just love making converts!

Where do you live, Jennifer? When I saw the picture of the monkey, I knew it wasn't Kansas.

I think the bananas are about ready for me to make the banana bread.
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
OH now I want mine spiral bound!!!
Funny thing, when I went in to get it bound I did not want to hand over my book! But she did it right there and then. I went off to grocery shop and when I came back all done! No one takes my LCAF's book,
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Great idea. I am going to have that done.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I took my copy to Staples last night and had it spiral bound and I love it, well worth the $4.76. I did tear mine apart beforehand because we have a comb binder at my workplace that I was going to use but I prefer the spiral binding. The lady at Staples trimmed the edges up before binding.

Question for the other people who had their copy bound: Did you tear it apart before you took it in or can they do that there? It took me a while to dismantle it because I went slow so I wouldn't damage anything but if they can do it in the store I might just take some other favorite cookbooks in and have them spiral bound.

I would also gladly pay more the cookbook if it came spiral bound.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #448
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I dropped mine off at Staples this morning. They won't have it done until Sunday afternoon.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
I dropped mine off at Staples this morning. They won't have it done until Sunday afternoon.
That stinks, sorry. I did not want to hand it over to them!!!!

I never thought about tearing it apart. I can understand why but when I got back from grocery shopping after dropping it off, she was just starting the binding, and I watched every bit of what she was doing. And if I thought she was going to harm my LCAF's book I would have jumped over the counter and ripped it from her hands! (yes, I like it that much and yes food means that much to me and yes, I LOVE being smaller than I ever was before in my life!!!!!!!!!!) Okay, I am calm now,
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ROFL Thanks for the laugh, Tilly. You are too funny! I am happy you are doing so well on this WOL. It's awesome!

Pam, the publisher will look into the cost again, but chances are not everyone feels the way you do about the expense. It might also increase shipping costs as well as there is a tendency for damage at the Post Office. Time will tell. I asked the publisher (DH) again....asked him to figure out with the printers what the deal is. I can't tell you how many times I have brought up this subject...I might be in trouble one of these days.

I just use my transparent perspex cookbook holder - keeps my book clean too, however, I would not complain if the cookbook were spiral bound. Oh well. I've always wanted a cookbook with lots of beautiful photos - don't think that's going to happen either. I'm so green - my friend Judy Barnes Baker has 2 cookooks like that; looks like an heirloom type of thing - something one would pass down to the next generation. I need to do a review of her book shortly; just been so busy. Love her cookbooks and highly recommend them! Incidentally, they are not spiral-bound either. Sadly, we just didn't have the money for something like that. Judy is going to be one of the authors in volume 3.

Thanks, Jennifer. If you email me privately sometime, I'll tell you. I don't want to mention where I live publicly - we eloped - 'nuff said!