Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
I made Lisa's Crock Pot Jambalaya pg 244. It was very tastey and filling. I need to hurry up if I am going to get everything I have marked in this book tested before the next volume comes out! I have not made a single thing that I have been disappointed in!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Aaw, Libby, you really made my night! Thank you so much. So encouraging to keep on truckin'
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
My book is on its way........I got a great deal for all 5 of Jennifer's books. Can't wait to try the recipes that you all are talking about.
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Just ordered my copy too! Can't wait.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Now I know my "name" is crazywoman, and I all too often live up to it, but I'm not completely crazy,,,, but......
I know I saw a post by Jen about Probiotics here somewhere. Wasn't it in this thread?
I did a search ... Searched for Probiotics by Jennifer Eloff, and it came back & said 0 posts found!!! I tried several time, and even then tried using the Google search there, still nothing! Using that, I did find some posts about Probiotics, but none in the Low Carb Help & Suggestions forum, and none by Jen! I used to not have near as much trouble finding things in the help as lately. This is not the first time lately that I couldn't find something that I KNEW was here! What's up with that? Anyway, can Jen or some let me know if I was even right that it was in this thread? I'll go back page by page looking if I know for sure what thread. Thanks!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Now I know my "name" is crazywoman, and I all too often live up to it, but I'm not completely crazy,,,, but......
I know I saw a post by Jen about Probiotics here somewhere. Wasn't it in this thread?
I did a search ... Searched for Probiotics by Jennifer Eloff, and it came back & said 0 posts found!!! I tried several time, and even then tried using the Google search there, still nothing! Using that, I did find some posts about Probiotics, but none in the Low Carb Help & Suggestions forum, and none by Jen! I used to not have near as much trouble finding things in the help as lately. This is not the first time lately that I couldn't find something that I KNEW was here! What's up with that? Anyway, can Jen or some let me know if I was even right that it was in this thread? I'll go back page by page looking if I know for sure what thread. Thanks!
I searched for you, crazywoman, and came up with nothing.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Tilly!! That's what happened to me too! (And not the first time it's happened, as I said before.) Surely they didn't take that(those) post(s) out. I remember nothing that was against the rules in it.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #398
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Is this what you're looking for?

[Esther, that's lovely! I think you may help a lot of folks with your recipe.

Just a whisper about the gas thing. Xanthan gum in the bake mix is a problem for some folks. It was for me. I had to reduce it to the smallest amount necessary to still provide gluten-like properties and prevent crumbly baking outcomes. There is a period of getting used to it and when you are - no problem! Then go off using the bake mix for several weeks and the same thing can happen all over again. My DH also had that happen. Of course, oats can also do that to a person, even although very healthy for cholesterol. Think of horses. Sooo, it might be something like that too. I stuck it out and now no longer have a problem, but I do make sure my gut is healthy. I take acidophilus capsules and saccharomyces Boulardii +Moss (Non-Dairy, vegetarian capsures, probiotic supplement) regularly and no problems with gas, no matter what I eat....maybe if I had a lot sugar that would be different. Yeast grows with sugar consumption. I try to steer clear.

Just some extra thoughts here...

Millet flour (low in carbs and someone in Australia mentioned lupin flour?) is something that I noticed Lauren used recently. I wonder how it would perform instead of oats? Not sure - maybe they have a "taste." Certainly quinoa flour was very strong-tasting to me. I didn't really like it. I ate the muffins the next day and it wasn't too bad. The muffins rose better and were more robust than with the oat flour in the bake mix, so that was at least something.

It makes me sad that you guys have so much trouble, but I've also been there and done that, especially now that I figured I can't have gluten. I have bags of carbalose flour and vital wheat gluten. I vacuum packed them and figured if there is a world catastrophe and not much food - maybe then I'll eat it again out of desperation.

Instead of xanthan gum, there is guar gum and there is another product and I forget now what it is called that gluten-free sites mention, but it seems difficult to come by. I'm not familiar with it unfortunately, but it sounds completely different to the gums. I am now also reading that some people think the gums might not be as necessary as once thought? I guess it is worth experimenting on my part - leaving it out!! I think with yeast breads (where gluten is necessary) one would need something and maybe chia seeds in a slurry is what I read somewhere might help. Anyway, you've given me some reason to think about this some more.]

My first post so I'm not sure how to do this. Hope it goes thru.

Found it here

Low Carb Friends - Search Results

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #399
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Has anyone made the crab rangoon recipe???
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutzie View Post
[Esther, that's lovely! I think you may help a lot of folks with your recipe.

Just a whisper about the gas thing. Xanthan gum in the bake mix is a problem for some folks. It was for me. I had to reduce it to the smallest amount necessary to still provide gluten-like properties and prevent crumbly baking outcomes. There is a period of getting used to it and when you are - no problem! Then go off using the bake mix for several weeks and the same thing can happen all over again. My DH also had that happen. Of course, oats can also do that to a person, even although very healthy for cholesterol. Think of horses. Sooo, it might be something like that too. I stuck it out and now no longer have a problem, but I do make sure my gut is healthy. I take acidophilus capsules and saccharomyces Boulardii +Moss (Non-Dairy, vegetarian capsures, probiotic supplement) regularly and no problems with gas, no matter what I eat....maybe if I had a lot sugar that would be different. Yeast grows with sugar consumption. I try to steer clear.

Just some extra thoughts here...

Millet flour (low in carbs and someone in Australia mentioned lupin flour?) is something that I noticed Lauren used recently. I wonder how it would perform instead of oats? Not sure - maybe they have a "taste." Certainly quinoa flour was very strong-tasting to me. I didn't really like it. I ate the muffins the next day and it wasn't too bad. The muffins rose better and were more robust than with the oat flour in the bake mix, so that was at least something.

It makes me sad that you guys have so much trouble, but I've also been there and done that, especially now that I figured I can't have gluten. I have bags of carbalose flour and vital wheat gluten. I vacuum packed them and figured if there is a world catastrophe and not much food - maybe then I'll eat it again out of desperation.

Instead of xanthan gum, there is guar gum and there is another product and I forget now what it is called that gluten-free sites mention, but it seems difficult to come by. I'm not familiar with it unfortunately, but it sounds completely different to the gums. I am now also reading that some people think the gums might not be as necessary as once thought? I guess it is worth experimenting on my part - leaving it out!! I think with yeast breads (where gluten is necessary) one would need something and maybe chia seeds in a slurry is what I read somewhere might help. Anyway, you've given me some reason to think about this some more.]

My first post so I'm not sure how to do this. Hope it goes thru.

Found it here

Low Carb Friends - Search Results

dutzie
Yes, dutzie!! Thank You!!! Why didn't I think to search without the "s" on probiotics (probiotic)?!!!
You're a sweetie!!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Billie - I remember that post now.

Since disovered that millet and sorghum flour are goitrogens - not great for the thyroid if one is hypothyroid. Pity, as I was thinking of using them. Turns out corn flour too - but I would not use it that much in any case - so everything in moderation. I'm not going to quit eating all the goitrogens out there like the lovely cruciferous veggies, etc. Nope! As it is, I have to cut out so many things these days - bah! Life is too short!

Thanks Lonestarstamper and Liro!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-21-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made Jen's banana bread on page 61. Of course, I tweaked it, but it is a wonderful banana bread recipe, I highly recommend it!

For the sweetener I used 1/4 erythritol and 1/4 cup white diabetisweet, I used 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp. banana extract and I used Kevin's Carbalose flour mix. I also added 1/2 cup s.f. chocolate chips along with the 1/2 cup of walnuts.

This morning I had a slice for breakfast, I nuked it for 20 seconds and then put a dollop of sweetened creme fraiche (page 52) on top --- delish!!

Thanks for those recipes, Jen, this will definitely be my new "go to" banana bread recipe!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Dutzie, I just read your post to me again. I had missed that it was your first post here! I thanked you for finding that for me, but missed welcoming you.
So.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
LOL Billie - I remember that post now.

Since disovered that millet and sorghum flour are goitrogens - not great for the thyroid if one is hypothyroid. Pity, as I was thinking of using them. Turns out corn flour too - but I would not use it that much in any case - so everything in moderation. I'm not going to quit eating all the goitrogens out there like the lovely cruciferous veggies, etc. Nope! As it is, I have to cut out so many things these days - bah! Life is too short!

Thanks Lonestarstamper and Liro!
Thanks for that info about the flours & hypothyroid Jen! And like you, I'm not going to give up my cruciferous veggies! So good for us, and some of the few I care for.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 02-23-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #404
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Thanks for the welcome Billie. I've been lurking on this site since early 2000's finally decided to register and then finally decided to post something.

Glad to have helped.

dutzie
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tweaker, that sounds so good! That recipe really surprised me. I had no idea it would be so popular. Go figure! But, I'm happy!

Oh, that's pretty, Billie! You're welcome re the flours. It's too bad, hey? However, I'm with you on the veggies. And even peanut butter - I can't give that up!

Dutzie!!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-23-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutzie View Post
Thanks for the welcome Billie. I've been lurking on this site since early 2000's finally decided to register and then finally decided to post something.

Glad to have helped.

dutzie

That other thickener you couldn't remember is probably glucommannan from Konjac Foods. Netrition also carries it! (which would be less shipping if you had other things to order).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #407
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniferO
I finally made my way through all the messages on this topic. (Whew!) I have all sorts of page numbers written on little pieces of paper stuck in my book now. I just discovered the book a few weeks ago and was delighted. I am diabetic and control my glucose levels best using a low carb diet. For years the Healthy Life low carb bread was a staple for me. Gradually I began to realize that I am probably allergic to wheat or at least react to gluten. After being gluten free for several months, the commercial low carb bread gave me a serious case of hives. My brother was diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity several years ago, and reading about how common celiac really is, I discovered that it runs in families, and it is common in families in which diabetes also runs.

I felt doomed to not having much to eat. So many of my low carb recipes have gluten, even added as an ingredient to baked goods.

Then I discovered this cookbook. Wow! Lifesaver! Answer to a prayer! I just put together a batch of the gluten free low carb bake mix and bought blueberries, so today I will bake the blueberry muffins. I now take the book with me to the grocery store.

Meanwhile, I've tried a few other recipes in the book, and haven't disliked one yet. I made the spinach-feta turkey burgers (p. 238) last week and just pan fried them, since it isn't grilling weather yet. Oh MY! They were really delicious. Gourmet quality recipe! I have the ingredients to make them again, and this time I will make one of the "bun" recipes to serve them on. Made the twice baked squash (p.250), crockpot ribs (p.245) coconut apricot chicken (246)--all very, very good. The smell of those ribs cooking alone was amazing.

Like others here, I do have a lot of frustration with the odd organization of the index, but I can live with it. (It reminds me of my mom's recipe box, where a recipe for cake icing could be filed under "C" for chocolate or "I" for icing, or even "M" because somebody named Margaret gave her the recipe, so it was "Margaret's icing" in my mom's mind.) I buy ingredients and then can't find the recipe I bought them to make. If I ever get time, I may sit down and make my own index. I will definitely use the highlighting idea, but as good as this book is, I think eventually the whole index may be highlighted.

(Just one question: what is Linda Sue's taco seasoning and where can I find the recipe?)

Oh, I just had to try the "bread" pudding. It was so-so right out of the oven. The next day I finished off the refrigerated leftovers and discovered how much it really tasted like bread pudding. Much better than "so-so" that time! I'll be making that again, for sure.

Thank you, Jennifer, and all your co-authors, for this truly great book!
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Here you go.
LINDA'S TACO SEASONING
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/8 teaspoon MSG, optional (see my comments below)

Combine everything. Brown 1 pound ground beef; drain. Add the seasoning mixture along with about 1/2 cup water and 1-2 tablespoons Taco Bell Restaurant Hot Sauce (optional). Simmer about 5-10 minutes. The counts below do not include the Taco Bell sauce.

Makes about 5 teaspoons

Per batch: 31 Calories; 1g Fat; 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!

I'm starting the blueberry muffins and am stumped on how much of the liquid sucrose is equal to 1/2 cup. The package simply says that one drop = 1 packet of Splenda.

Maybe it's posted somewhere else. I don't know if I could guess very accurately at this one.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #410
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
1/4 tsp. or 24 drops=1cup of sweetness

12 drops =1/2 cup

hope that helps.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Jennifer, you really made my day - my week! Thank you very much!

As for the Index, I'm hoping you're talking about the old one, which was not very good. I was tired and dealing with a tooth abscess, so really didn't have my heart in it. The new Index is up on the Low-Carbing Among Friends Website for download and printing out. This one is hopefully a lot easier to navigate - and still easy enough for me to create without needing a degree of some sort. The second edition of volume one has the newer index and all new volumes will have the newer style. It's still not the greatest but a lot better, I think - I hope! Sorry I really am to blame for the poor index.

However, so happy for all the positive, lovely feedback. Thank you very much for that!

Jennifer, I know most people skip over the preamble to the recipes, but in the Helpful Hints is a conversion table for liquid sucralose which I constantly have to refer to, because I can't seem to remember and sometimes I don't trust my mental math - so I check up just to be certain I'm right. Menopause or something, I guess. It happens.

And, Esther, you are 100 percent correct! Thank you so much for helping Jennifer out. Sweet of you!

Julie thanks for sharing Linda's taco seasoning recipe. Sounds wonderful as per usual except I would skip the MSG myself.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
I meant to ask, in the new cookbook, could you guys maybe include the sugar equivalents? So many of us don't have a clue how much powdered or liquid Splenda, or how much EzSweetz, etc. to use. We're odd that way! o_O
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #413
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
1/4 tsp. or 24 drops=1cup of sweetness

12 drops =1/2 cup

hope that helps.
Thank you, Rosethorns. The muffins turned out wonderful. They will make breakfast the next few days much more interesting.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #414
Junior LCF Member

I wasn't aware of the revised index. I'll have to get that. And I've been too distracted by the recipes to read the preambles. I'd probably get around to it eventually.

Oh, and I've looked up other books -- a couple of Maria Emmerich's look like must-haves, especially since she likes grain-free. I had some of the more unusual ingredients because of going gluten-free, but still will have to order some others such as peanut flour.

I hope all future volumes of the book are also both LC and Gluten free. Perhaps listing your gluten-y bake mix recipe as a substitute will satisfy those who want to eat gluten. Though, after reading about the many health problems that are related to celiac and gluten sensitivity, I would hope people might try going gluten-free for six weeks or so to see if any allergies, digestive problems, mood problems, etc. improve. The health problems related to gluten read like my family's health history. Even endometriosis has been found to be related to gluten sensitivity. Wish I'd known that years ago.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #415
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I can't seem to find that index on the website??? Can somebody leave me a trail with low carb breadcrumbs please, lol.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Linda Sue has a conversion chart and I put on the inside of one of my cabinets. I use it all the time. Thanks Linda Sue.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I can't find the recipe index either. Help.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi sorry, I should have explained a bit better. On my blog - click on the book on the RHS - takes you to the website and then click on the LHS on Addendum. That's the new index. The new edition and new volumes coming this year will all have the sugar or sweetener equivalents mentioned. Also will be put on the website soon along with one or two errors that should be mentioned and a new helpful hints. Fine line really and Admin have sort of turned a blind eye to this thread. I think because it is so helpful to a lot of people who are using the new cookbook, plus I think gluten-free and low-carb is so much needed nowadays. Tom, the former owner of Netrition, who sadly died much too young and who I will always remember, was in love with a lady who needed to be gluten-free - to be honest, that story kind of helped inspire me to go gluten-free, plus a few other things that just pushed me in that direction.

Gluten-sensitivity can be ruled out with a test like Jennifer suggests. My husband's blood pressure responds well to gluten-free eating.

All future volumes will be gluten-free and low-carb, Jennifer. Yep, my other bake mixes may be substituted and I give some guidelines for doing that. I like the newest one - no gluten "taste" and makes many baked goods taste almost like the real thing and sometimes nicer.

Maria is amazing - as Lisa Marshall says - a substitution genius! She is also a powerhouse of health information; very much fun editing her recipes right now. I learn so much from her in the preamble to the recipes.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
Jen and Friends--their new WONDERFUL book

A year or so ago, I got volumes 1-5 and thought nothing could be any better than that. Oh, I was SO wrong! Now "our Jen" has been joined by some of our most creative and treasured LC Friends and heroes and you get to sit down with that wonderful new book and visit with them. I started reading and could not put it down, and was so glad I had sent in an order to Netrition on MOnday for some of the things I anticipated I would need for the wonderful things I knew would be in the pages of that book. My book arrived yesterday and my super duper Netrition order came today. (The book is so outstanding that I actually wrote my very first Amazon review about it a bit ago.) No one will be be hearing from me for awhile--I will be too busy playing in my kitchen.

PS--I might add that the idea of GLUTEN FREE has become a great factor in my meal planning as I am suspicious that my husband is gluten sensitive (He was tested for Celiac disease a few years ago and was told "you have some of the markers, but not all of them, so you dont have Celiac, and and you don't need to worry about it." Meanwhile his symptoms have persisted and gotten worse.)

Last edited by maizenbluebabe; 03-08-2012 at 06:39 PM..
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #420
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
He sounds like he's senitive to gluten. I know he wont listen to his body, but it would tell him. You start cooking gluten free he will see the change.

Have fun playing in the kitchen.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote