Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, Donna! So nice to see you. I know you've been major league busy!

I didn't know that about the flavor of Rutabaga. I just remember it being somewhat potato-like in that dish my friend served me; maybe the carrots helped or maybe she did something to take the bite away.

Julie, doubling the curd sounds like a great plan. Yum - love lemon curd! Thanks for the feedback.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Heya Jen! Yup..."majorly" busy these days and hardly on here at all lately.

Smaller, younger rutabagas (swedes) have less of a "cabbagie" taste than their 'older' siblings. And because age is not dependent on the size of the veggie, sometimes I get one that tastes a LOT like cabbage and other times, I get ones that are smaller and much sweeter. I like them either way, but in a dish trying to mimic potatoes, I think the swedes might yield a result FAR from the original.

Now turnips...a cousin of swedes, (and traditionally used as hog feed...yes, you read that correctly...lol) have a milder taste and softer texture.

So for my experiment today, I took 4 good-sized turnips, cut them in half, peeled them and sliced each into 1/4" half-moon slices. I then boiled them briefly in regular milk (to help moderate any cabbage taste)...about 2 minutes. Then, plunged them immediately in cold water to stop the cooking and blotted them dry on a paper towel.

I made my sauce, but didn't add any salt (I'm too sensitive), and layered sauce, sliced turnips, chopped ham, sauce, turnips, chopped ham and topped with sauce in a greased casserole dish. I sprinkled the top with paprika and baked uncovered for 60 mins in a 350 oven.

The result: The turnips retained their shape and the texture was quite soft and reminiscent of cooked potato (minus the starch of course). Although I could detect a faint 'turnip' taste, they were actually quite mild especially when paired with the smokey ham. And although the sauce was wonderful, the taste of the finished dish was more like Scalloped Turnips Alfredo than just Faux Scalloped Potatoes. Nonetheless, it was delicious.

When I make this again...and I DEFINITELY will, I will probably reduce the boiling time to one minute, cover the casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes and then remove the cover and bake for another 30 minutes. Additionally, I will add a layer of thinly sliced onion to the center.

If you're missing traditional comfort food, I highly recommend making this dish. Fabulous!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #363
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good, Donna! I would never have thought to make scalloped turnips Alfredo had you not mentioned it. Unique recipe no doubt.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I think whether rutabaga's have a "bite" or not has a lot to do with how old they are. But I have also often wondered if the soil they are grown in is a factor. My Dad, quite the gardener in his day, swore that soil makeup had a strong bearing on what root vegetables tasted like.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I think whether rutabaga's have a "bite" or not has a lot to do with how old they are. But I have also often wondered if the soil they are grown in is a factor. My Dad, quite the gardener in his day, swore that soil makeup had a strong bearing on what root vegetables tasted like.
And that is particularly true with onions. Soil (and amendments) have a HUGE impact on whether an onion is just 'hot' for its species or 'screaming hot' because of the soil. I never could grow "good" onions...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
And that is particularly true with onions. Soil (and amendments) have a HUGE impact on whether an onion is just 'hot' for its species or 'screaming hot' because of the soil. I never could grow "good" onions...
Yes, the soil (and amendments) & weather conditions do have a lot to do with the taste, bite, hotness, mildness, etc of crops (especially root veggies)!
They grow a lot of onions down in CO south of me, but they are just no where near as good as the ones grown in South TX, and a few other states. But even those, after they start getting older get hot, and aren't as sweet.
We have never been able to grow good oninons eithe (no matter where we lived), nor carrots. Here we usually can grow good beets, but it was dry last year, and our soil is needing nutrients. Didn't get a good beet crop at all last year.

I've never eaten Rutabagas, nor parsnips. And most of you know my feeling about turnips, so we won't get into that!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha, Billie - we won't ask about you and turnips! I don't really like parsnips.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Yes, the soil (and amendments) & weather conditions do have a lot to do with the taste, bite, hotness, mildness, etc of crops (especially root veggies)!
They grow a lot of onions down in CO south of me, but they are just no where near as good as the ones grown in South TX, and a few other states. But even those, after they start getting older get hot, and aren't as sweet.
We have never been able to grow good oninons eithe (no matter where we lived), nor carrots. Here we usually can grow good beets, but it was dry last year, and our soil is needing nutrients. Didn't get a good beet crop at all last year.

I've never eaten Rutabagas, nor parsnips. And most of you know my feeling about turnips, so we won't get into that!
Same here, Billie, with growing carrots and onions AND always get tiny beets. Oh well, so much for the root crops. I don't use them a lot anyway. I purchase Vidalia onions from Georgia when they are available. They are really sweet and stay sweet. Can even get them at Wal Mart! And this county I live in, in Virginia is known for its tomatoes. I grow my own, so I think those are the best!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 02-11-2012 at 04:29 AM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I peeled and diced a rutabaga and microwaved it in a little milk (to take away the "bite"). Was intending to mash it and use it like mashed potatoes, but when I tasted it, I was blown away by the wonderful sweet flavor. It needed absolutely nothing on it, and I ate the whole thing right then and there, standing at the counter!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love rutabagas, and have been real lucky I think in all the years I' ve been buying them, I think I only got one with a "bite". Whereas I've bought many a turnip that had more "bite" than I care for.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diana, how tough was it to peel the rutabaga? I'm actually really curious to try it again soon. As I said before, my friend served me mashed rutabaga with some carrot mashed into it. I thought it was even nicer than cauli-mash.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
subbing
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #373
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyBinLA
Stats: 264/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 6/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Diana, how tough was it to peel the rutabaga? I'm actually really curious to try it again soon. As I said before, my friend served me mashed rutabaga with some carrot mashed into it. I thought it was even nicer than cauli-mash.
Hi Jennifer - not Diana, but I have peeled rutabaga and it is not difficult, much easier than jicama. But I have been checking a few sites and it seems that rutabaga, cooked and mashed, has about 12 -13 net carbs per cup. It seems pretty high to me, wondering if others are eating it without any problems??
NancyBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonder if one could mix rutabaga and cauli-mash - would that be too weird? Thanks, Nancy! Otherwise, I'd simply have a small helping if I was being super carb-conscious.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
I don't know about mixing it with cauli but I have used turnips and rutabagas together in 'like scalloped potato' dishes. It was very good, a bit more carbs than I usually have (I try to stay under 35 net a day) but still it turned out very well.

Di
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia Dowd
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
My husband made the Smoked Gouda Cauliflower and we both loved it. I have to admit we are not fans of cauliflower being used as a potato sub but this was so good. As a matter of fact he is making it again tonight to go with our steaks for dinner. He uses the frozen cauliflower. Just opens the bag and pours it out into a casserole dish puts a little water in and puts the lid on and microwaves until tender then takes it out and follows the receipe. The gouda just makes it. We add bacon bits on top also. This has become one of our favorite things to eat which is so odd because before we hardly ever eat it because we just didn't care for it. Also Jennifers Banana Walnut Bread is wonderful. I have made it so many times I have lost count. LOL I add about 1/2 cups sugar free chips to it and boy is this so good. My husband and I warm up a piece to have at night with a cup of coffee or tea. This is his favorite sweet thing to eat at the moment.
Patricia Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Patricia, you make me almost envious. It sounds like you and your hubby are REALLY having fun on your new WOL. Clever lady! The reviews for those two recipes have been so consistenly wonderful and you discovered them as well. So interesing about your disdain for the cauli subs for potato and now you're a convert, thanks to Peggy. She is truly an amazing chef (her brother was actually a professional executive chef and her parents were also great cooks. They would spend a whole Saturday, for instance, cooking up a storm. I'm going by memory. Hope I have the story right.) I love the idea of choc chips in the banana bread. I made some banana muffins the other day - different recipe but I wonder if it will compare. Time will tell. I had to use some raisins instead of choc chips (didn't have any and raisins are too carby), but choc chips would be the way to go. We can actually get Hershey's sugar-free choc chips here, but how I wish they would get with the program and use erythritol and Splenda or even stevia to sweeten their chocolate instead.

Hi Di - I can see how those two would "marry" nicely. You're right I'm not sure about cauli and rutabaga mixed. Could be too weird.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awwww. Jennifer, you're embarrassing me. But I'm so glad that recipe is making some cauliflower converts. The smoked Gouda does truly make that one unique. I just LOVE smoked Gouda. Glad you liked it Patricia.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I picked up a couple of bananas yesterday specifically to make Jen's banana bread in the book, they won't be ripe enough for a few days. I'll report back after I've made it. I think I may add a few choc. chips but not sure yet, maybe just nuts.

Tonight I'm making a beef and broccoli stir-fry with cauli-rice.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-16-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yum, Tweaker! Hope you like the banana bread. I think the choc chips would be so good in it.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #381
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yum, Tweaker! Hope you like the banana bread. I think the choc chips would be so good in it.
Trust me, they are!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now you are making me hungry. I'm planning vol. 2 and working on it frequently. Tonight, thinking about pumpkin - Pumpkin Spice Loaf and a Pumpkin coffee cake.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kent's Scalloped "Potatoes"

I cooked these again and I did it with rutabaga this time. I like it much better with rutabaga I think. Cooked them about 10 minutes longer to get them fully tender. Oh, and I add 3 chopped green onions to my tweaked version.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW! I have to go to bed here, but now I'm thinking I could eat something, Peggy! That looks fabulous; love your tweak!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Now you are making me hungry. I'm planning vol. 2 and working on it frequently. Tonight, thinking about pumpkin - Pumpkin Spice Loaf and a Pumpkin coffee cake.
Can't wait, Jennifer! Is there an expected publishing date yet? Not hurrying you, just wondering. Still working my way through the first one!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

July/August and then hopefully again at the end of the year for volume 3.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen - when volumes 2 and 3 come out, will they have all new recipes with no repeats of what is already in volume 1? I love volume 1 but I wouldn't want to spend the money if the same recipes are repeated over again. If they're all new recipes I'm first in line for the next book(s)!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I was thinking about that, Tweaker. Some recipes that are used frequently like the Thickening Agent or Low-Carb Milk recipe might be repeated but the other authors will most likely repeat nothing unless they need something from volume 1 like a caramel topping, but my guess is there will not be much needed from volume 1 to complete a new recipe.

It is not terribly convenient to keep referring people to volume 1 for such recipes, however, 97% of the recipes will be new, wonderful recipes to add to our low-carb repertoire.

Hey, think about how much we spend when we eat out only once and how much a cookbook like this contributes to our fun and healthy eating at home for years at a stretch. That's how I look at it.

Plus the new book will have Jimmy Moore writing a mini book - a sort of state of the union address for the low-carbing community. It will be a big book and 6 authors instead of 5.

Volume 3 will have Judy Barnes Baker, Jimmy Moore (mini cookbook) and Ginny Larsen joining us.

Point is, we want to keep the books a valuable asset for all of us low-carbers and we want to keep them interesting - so we'll keep trying our best.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-17-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Jen. That is exactly the response I was hoping for! I do understand repeating the bake mixes, thickening agent, lc milk or toppings and sauces. It was the main recipes that I was questioning and am pleased to hear that they will be new recipes.

I agree, eating out is very expensive and is something I don't do very often mainly because of the cost. I can make better food at home (IMHO) for less money. Fortunately, I am quite fond of my own cooking and when I have guests they always compliment what I serve. I do owe a ton of thanks to all the great cooks on this board who have come up with many recipes that I now use that I wouldn't have made if not for the pictures and comments of all here. True to my name though I usually tweak everything just a tad!!

Your cauli-fried rice recipe that I made the other night was excellent. I used more garlic and green onion than called for and also added some ginger. I may try adding the quinoa sometime, I've never used it but have given it some thought. My beef and broccoli was very tasty; no particular recipe. I just took a chuck steak and sliced into thin strips, marinated in a mixture of teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and onion granuales. When ready to cook, I sauteed red onion, garlic, green pepper and red pepper in olive oil. Removed from pan and added the beef along with the marinade, stir fried quickly till meat was cooked. While the meat was cooking I nuked some broccoli florets just until barely getting tender, then added the broccoli and the vegetables back into the pan and cooked till all heated through. I did thicken the sauce with a bit of xanthan gum.

I will be eagerly awaiting the next book, Jen, and thanks to you and all who are involved in this series of low carb cookbooks!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are welcome, Tweaker. Hmm, I like your tweaks to the cauli-rice. I'll try that next time and your beef and broccoli and veggie dish sounds very good. Care to email me with a more exact recipe? I tried to pm you but could not.