Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #301
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I made grilled cheese today with the sandwich bread. Wow!!! Yummy!!!
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
Last night hubby made Kent's taco bake. We both liked it and would make it again. The only thing we did different was to use Linda Sue's taco seasoning instead of Kent's. We are big fans of Linda Sue's seasoning and we always have a batch in the cupboard.

On Sunday night I made Kent's white pizza. We both liked this recipe, although there was something that didn't quite taste right to me. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'll play with the sauce a little next time. Nothing wrong with the recipe, just not quite my taste. The crust batter seemed really wet when I went to put it on the pan (had to pour, not spread), but it baked up just fine. BTW, I had some of this pizza cold for lunch, and thought it was pretty good that way too.

It seems like hubby and I have enjoyed all of Kent's recipes that we've tried so far. I also have so much respect for his weight loss. How awesome!

Jenn, I think the inspiration and tips in the book are just as good as the recipes!
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi Sandy - happy you're still enjoying the sandwich bread - much better toasted, for sure! We like to toast it on the barbie with all the fixings.

Ah yes, the Billie test - Billie, I don't know what to say - your poor Mom with you and your sister's similar tastes. Seriously though, you usually find a workaround and that's good.

Libby - aaw! So glad about the pup. Enjoying my adopted doggie a lot, but I still sometimes miss Happy and always will. That was a funny story my DH wrote. He can tell stories! He doesn't think I can and almost always wants to take over when I try. I usually get to the punch line too quickly, he thinks. Thank you for your encouragement.

Pat - perfect solution! Good for you!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnylamb View Post
On Sunday night I made Kent's white pizza. We both liked this recipe, although there was something that didn't quite taste right to me. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'll play with the sauce a little next time. Nothing wrong with the recipe, just not quite my taste. The crust batter seemed really wet when I went to put it on the pan (had to pour, not spread), but it baked up just fine. BTW, I had some of this pizza cold for lunch, and thought it was pretty good that way too.

It seems like hubby and I have enjoyed all of Kent's recipes that we've tried so far. I also have so much respect for his weight loss. How awesome!

Jenn, I think the inspiration and tips in the book are just as good as the recipes!
Linnylamb, if you tweak the white pizza recipe would you please share? That is one (of many) that I have on my to-make list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and results!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #305
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
For breakfast this a.m. I toasted a piece of the sandwich bread with a sprinkling of shredded parmesan on top. Not a very conventional b-fast but boy it sure was good!!
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linny, that's cool - I just spotted your last comment thanks to Tilly.

Sandy - sounds wonderful. So happy you are enjoying that recipe. Happy-Happy!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some more reviews from Facebook:

Kelly said: The Cinnamon Sweet Rolls were absolutely incredible! They all disappeared. These will be something we have over and over.

Eggcelent Meatloaf was eggcelent! Any food hugged in bacon has to be good! LOL

I made Lisa's Maple Nut Blondies (p. 266) last night and they are wonderful! They're so easy to make that I whipped them up while I was cooking dinner. I strayed from the recipe slightly and added some sugar free Hershey chocolates to the top when it came out of the oven, let them melt sightly, then spread them across the top. Delicious! They were only 1 gram effective/net carbs for 5 bars so not too bad.

Susan said: Made Lisa Marshalls "Crock Pot Country Pork Ribs" today. I have never made ribs, because I always thought they were too hard. These were so easy and my house smells wonderful. My husband says this is definately a "Do Over"! Thank you, they are delish!

Kelly said: The Cream Filled Sponge Cakes are incredible!

Made the Spinach and Red Pepper Lasagna tonight. Turned out great and had so much flavor.

Meyer Lemon Curd Bars are fantastic!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Lisa's Maple Nut Blondies on page 266 alone are worth the cost of the book!! (then you would get all of Jen and everyone else's recipes for free !) Based on a suggestion from a blog on Jen's site, I melted a chopped up Choco Perfection Dark Chocolate bar and they were to die for!!!!!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Made the Mocha Hazelnut Muffins page 185 last night. I added an 1/8th of a teaspoon of powdered Stevia as others suggested if you like things sweet, which I do. I still would up the sweetener. BUT! Peggy's suggestion on this forum somewhere to take HWC and use the stick blender. So I whipped up 1/4 cup with a bit of Fiberfit sweetener (had on hand). That was so quick and then slathered the cream on the muffin. Okay I was in food heaven!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Libby - you really liked those! I sent your comment to Lisa to make her night!

Yay, Tilly - that's very innovative - great idea!

I made Barbo's Latkes today and doubled the recipe. I love those! Of course, chayotes are ridiculously cheap here and unless you grow your own in the States, I heard that it is unfortunately not so cheap over there. That's too bad. Wonder what one could use instead? Anyone know?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess shredded zucchini with a little bit of grated carrot as well would make a good substitute but with a different taste of course.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #312
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinemeadows
more on banana bread

My daughter made the banana bread - exactly as it is in the book. Now I can usually take it or leave it so wasn't too excited about this, but one bite and I became a believer. It is absolutely delicious - and the best I've ever had for sure. Great job on that one, Jennifer!

Your sandwich bread is next!
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Pinemeadows, that is very high praise. Thank you! I can't even remember that banana bread anymore. I have to keep making new recipes. My DH often complains that he likes a recipe and then never sees it again! Not always to be fair...but quite often that happens.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom View Post
Lisa's Maple Nut Blondies on page 266 alone are worth the cost of the book!! (then you would get all of Jen and everyone else's recipes for free !) Based on a suggestion from a blog on Jen's site, I melted a chopped up Choco Perfection Dark Chocolate bar and they were to die for!!!!!

What did you do with the ChocoPerfection bar after you melted it...use it for icing? Are these blondies cake like or what is the texture of them? They sound good.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweepy
Stats: 157
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restarted 6/14
I want this book soooo bad, but hubby is really weird about buying books online.

Not to take away the thunder of the book, but would anyone have a suggestion for another good LC cookbook that I could get from barnes n noble?

Last edited by sweepy; 02-01-2012 at 03:41 AM..
sweepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepy View Post
I want this book soooo bad, but hubby is really weird about buying books online.

Not to take away the thunder of the book, but would anyone have a suggestion for another good LC cookbook that I could get from barnes n noble?
Or an even better idea is if someone could tell me if theres somewhere to buy it besides amazon and paypal
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

She used it as a frosting, Linda. Kelly said it was cake-like in texture but that she would add more sweetener next time to the cake as she likes things sweet!

Sweepy - do you have a friend who would order it in and then you could pay her? That would work. Some hubbies are like that. He is just being ultra-cautious. Most people trust Amazon, I find.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-01-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
She used it as a frosting, Linda. Kelly said it was cake-like in texture but that she would add more sweetener next time to the cake as she likes things sweet!

Sweepy - do you have a friend who would order it in and then you could pay her? That would work. Some hubbies are like that. He just being ultra-cautious. Most people trust Amazon, I find.

Thanks Jen!!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepy View Post
Or an even better idea is if someone could tell me if theres somewhere to buy it besides amazon and paypal

You know you can buy it directly from Jen's website don't you but you would have to still pay for it with Paypal or a card I guess unless Jen has some way you could pay her by check thru the mail.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
lgpars you could always get one of those prepaid visa cards from wal-mart. They are re-loadable as well so you could use if for future purchase to until it expires a year or so later.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Question for Jennifer:

My husband knows to well that I'm an appliance-aholic so for Christmas he bought me one of those quesadilla makers. Since then I've decided to go gluten-free so I don't want to use any of the ready-made low-carb tortillas since all the ones I've looked at contain gluten or some other ingredient I'm trying to stay away from.

On page 63 there is one of your recipes called Flexible Wraps. Do you think these would work in the quesadilla maker? The maker accomodates up to a 10-in tortilla so what is the biggest size you have made these? In the directions you say to fry them until brown spots appear so I'm wondering if I need to not fry them as long. I don't think I could use them in the quesadilla maker raw, I don't think they would cook long enough since it calls for using pre-made tortillas.

I'd appreciate any insight you might have.

Pam
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Pam - I really don't know. I never seen one of those gadgets; sounds really nice! What a sweet DH you have! I'd be inclined to make them bigger, of course, and fry them not quite as long as you were thinking - trial and error, I'm guessing. I have this feeling the gadget could make the tortillas very crisp; not sure to be honest. I'd be really curious to hear if you do try them. Hmm, I love quesadillas - the other option is to do them the old fashioned way in the pan.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Teresa, I've never heard of such a thing. That makes it safer to order online?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
I don't think I could use them in the quesadilla maker raw, I don't think they would cook long enough since it calls for using pre-made tortillas.
I wouldn't put the mixture in there raw ... as you said, it is for pre-made tortillas. But, maybe fry it not all the way, and then put them in the maker just like doing tortillas!
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Those are great suggestions! I didnt think about the prepaid card! Thanks! Maybe he'll feel more comfortable with that???
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Wow, Pam - I really don't know. I never seen one of those gadgets; sounds really nice! What a sweet DH you have! I'd be inclined to make them bigger, of course, and fry them not quite as long as you were thinking - trial and error, I'm guessing. I have this feeling the gadget could make the tortillas very crisp; not sure to be honest. I'd be really curious to hear if you do try them. Hmm, I love quesadillas - the other option is to do them the old fashioned way in the pan.
I checked the manual when I got home from work and it says to only use 10-inch tortillas. I do have a really good 10" non-stick skillet.

I'll report back on any results.

I've got the maple nut blondies (I think that's what they're called) in the oven. I did add 1/2 tsp glucomannan just for the heck of it and since I've found that it's makes things hold together better.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, Pam, I'm not sure my tortilla recipe will be great for that then. They're kinda delicate and 10 inches might make them impossible to transfer to the pan without them breaking up.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will try them and see and I might just use the trusty glucomannan too. Can you tell I really like that stuff? LOL I've even thought about using the pizza crust too. I got a couple 10-inch pizza pans I could use.

The blondies were good but not sweet enough for me, I like stuff sweet. I'll add a little stevia and/or liquid splenda next time plus some homemade chocolate chips and some chopped walnuts.

Last edited by PaminKY; 02-02-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
The blondies were good but not sweet enough for me, I like stuff sweet. I'll add a little stevia and/or liquid splenda next time plus some homemade chocolate chips and some chopped walnuts.
Thanks, Pam, for your opinion on the blondies. I like stuff sweet also so will mark this in my cookbook.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I tried Kent's Taco Bake last night. It was good. I did add more salsa for flavor. Quick and easy, too.
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote