Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Poblano Pepper Ideas (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/747361-poblano-pepper-ideas.html)

Melloshello 11-29-2011 10:15 PM

Poblano Pepper Ideas

I got a HUGE bag of Poblano Peppers on sale today. I made my favorite Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Poblanos, but now I am at a loss as to what to cook with the rest of them. Anyone have any good recipes that utilize these delicious peppers?

buttoni 11-30-2011 06:37 AM

Turkey Poblano "Chalupas"

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...nbutt/0030.jpg

This dinner got TWO thumbs up from my husband as well as myself! It was amazingly simple and was ready in well under an hour total. The example pictured has ¼ c. Eden Black Soy beans added, because my husband really wanted beans in his. And if you’re to the legumes rung of the OWL ladder, GO FOR IT! I made mine without beans, as I’m really trying not to eat OWL foods for awhile to break a profound stall. This recipe is only Induction friendly if you don’t put those beans in it. But I tell ya, I didn’t mind not having them in mine at all. This was GREAT without beans. You could also use chicken meat or even ground beef in this recipe. :)

INGREDIENTS:

2 large poblano peppers, seeded (6-6½” long, 3.5 oz. each)
8 oz. cooked, turkey breast meat
2 oz. onion, chopped or slivered
4 slices American cheese
4 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated
¼ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ c. cilantro, chopped

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Cut up turkey meat and set aside. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing any ribs with their seeds. Over med-high heat, in non-stick skillet heat the olive oil and sear the pepper halves on both sides, pressing them down with a spatula. This takes any “hotness” out of them. If you prefer, you can roast them in the oven, but these days, in Texas triple digit heat, I don’t like to keep the oven on that long. Remove peppers to a large oiled baking pan cut side up and set aside for now. In the same skillet you seared the peppers in, add the onion and saute until nearly tender. Add turkey meat, cumin, chili powder and cilantro. Saute 1-2 more minutes, stirring several times. Lower heat and lay the 4 slices of American cheese on top and stir in into the turkey until it melts and turn off heat. If using the soy beans, spoon ¼ c. evenly onto each pepper half first. Next, spoon ¼ of the turkey mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle the tops with the grated cheddar. Pop into a preheated 350º oven for 15-20 minutes, just long enough to melt the Cheddar cheese. This was delicious with a small guacamole salad on the side.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

357 calories
23.85 g fat
6.53 g carbs, 1.13 g fiber, 5.4 g NET CARBS
28.78 g protein
651.3 mg sodium

Melloshello 11-30-2011 07:43 AM

That looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Dmil 11-30-2011 07:54 AM

subbing....

Charski 11-30-2011 07:57 AM

Cut lengthwise and stuff like you would make stuffed bell peppers. They give a great flavor to that dish.

Also my Creamy Green Chile Soup would be awesome made with some roasted poblanos - let me know if you're interested and I'll give you the recipe!

And of course they are THE pepper for making chiles rellenos.

Grace 11-30-2011 08:46 AM

I make (and freeze) chili rellenos with ranchero sauce when I'm lucky enough to snag a bunch of poblanos at a good price. Here's what I do:

1. Prepare the chilies by washing, drying and broiling in the oven until charred (or over an open flame if you have a gas stove).
2. Put them into a covered dish until cool.
3. Peel and remove stem and seeds trying not to tear the peppers too much.
4. Place a slice of cheese about 1/4" thick (I use the Mexican white cheeses - chihuahua or quesadilla) inside and close as best you can. There may be some tears but it really won't affect the outcome.
4. Place chilies single layer deep in an oven proof dish and cover with ranchero sauce (recipe follows for the best I've come across and I've tried many!) and sprinkle with grated cheese.
5. Bake 30-45 minutes.

I also prepare them through step 4 and individually wrap each relleno in plastic wrap and foil and keep them in the freezer until ready to use. That way I can pull out one or two at a time and either make up a small recipe of ranchero sauce or use left-over refrigerated or frozen sauce.

Ranchero Sauce

2 poblano peppers, blackened,seeded, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, blackened,seeded, peeled and chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin, toasted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 lime, juice of

1. Toast cumin in saucepan until it begins to smoke
2. Add oil, onions and garlic
3. Saute 2 minutes
4. Add rest of ingredients except lime juice and simmer 10-15 minutes.
5. Pulse in blender to desired consistency.
6. Squeeze lime juice and pulse again.
7. Refrigerate for up to a month.

I also char, peel, de-stem and de-seed them, wrap each individually in plastic wrap and freeze them in zip-locks ready to pull out and use for any recipe calling for poblanos or canned green chilies. They take up very little room in the freezer done this way.

LindaSue 11-30-2011 10:10 AM

I saw this post a day late. I bought three nice ones on sale yesterday and then had no idea what to do with them once I got them home. I ended up roasting them and used half of one in an omelet for my dinner last night. The rest I chopped and froze to use in a recipe sometime. I already had eggplant lasagna planned for today and I didn't want the poblanos to spoil so freezing seemed the best option at the time.

mojave 11-30-2011 11:16 AM

I made chile rellenos yesterday for lunch. I roasted the peppers on the stove, and used pepper jack to stuff them with and Trader Joe's Salsa Autentica as the sauce .I was in a hurry, so didn't make my own. I put grated sharp cheddar on top before baking. Best ever!

Dee

Nigel 11-30-2011 11:24 AM

They are also great cooked up in hamburger meat or put in stew/soup.

buttoni 11-30-2011 11:36 AM

Tortilla Soup

I love this soup recipe and it's a pleasant use of poblano peppers:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/338.jpg

This Induction friendly soup is one of my favorites at Mexican restaurants. My first exposure to it was at a little place in San Antonio called El Mirador. And let me tell you, I’ve had it many places since and none can shine a light to their rendering of it. :) They only serve their Tortilla Soup on Sundays, but my Dad and Mom took me there one time years ago and I’ve tried to recreate that wonderful soup ever since. This low-carb version, without the little strips of tortillas in it, is just about as good in my opinion as it’s higher carb cousin!

INGREDIENTS:

13 oz. cooked chicken meat (canned with juice is just fine in this)
1 qt. water + 2 c. chicken broth
1 oz. tomato paste
1 c. yellow squash, diced (about ½ med-large squash)
2 oz. yellow onion
2 oz. green bell pepper
1 oz. poblano pepper, seeded and chopped (or more if you like)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
dash chipotle chile powder (smoky)
1 small Guajillo chile, seeded and chopped (these are very mild and found in most stores’ produce dept. dried, sold in a bag)
Dash cumin
1/4 c. heavy cream

DIRECTIONS: Cut chicken meat up into small pieces. If using canned meat, just break up the large chunks. Put all ingredients but the cream into soup pot. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer until squash and all veggies are tender but not falling apart (about 15-20 minutes). Turn heat to lowest setting. Now add cream and stir. If you like, you can puree this soup with a stick blender or in small batches in your food processor. I think I like it better chunky myself. That’s how El Mirador served theirs as well. I’ve done it both ways though.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Serves 4, each serving contains:

283 calories
15.1 g. fat
6.95 g. carbs, 1.6 g. fiber, 5.35 NET CARBS
29.1 g. protein
780 mg sodium
40% RDA Vitamin B6, 18% B12, 57% C, 25% copper, 24% iron, 12% magnesium, 16% manganese, 71% niacin, 35% phosphorous, 25% riboflavin, 41% selenium, 10% thiamin, 27% zinc, 578 mg potassium

mojave 11-30-2011 01:03 PM

Mmmmmmm!!!!!

Dee

Melloshello 11-30-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15213750)
Cut lengthwise and stuff like you would make stuffed bell peppers. They give a great flavor to that dish.

Also my Creamy Green Chile Soup would be awesome made with some roasted poblanos - let me know if you're interested and I'll give you the recipe!

And of course they are THE pepper for making chiles rellenos.

Please Please! Thank you!

Charski 11-30-2011 01:35 PM

Here it is - I'd just fire- or oven-roast two or three poblanos, skin, seed, and use them in place of the canned chiles.

Creamy Green Chile Soup

7 oz. can chopped Ortega or similar brand mild green chiles (I use 2 cans, we love chiles!)
1 carton (2 cups) sour cream
2 cups water
2 tsp. chicken stock base paste (or sub 2 cups chicken broth for the water and stock base)
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
4 shakes Chipotle Tabasco OR a pinch of chipotle chile powder

Whir all this together in a VitaMix or blender.

Heat over low flame or in the microwave til hot. Then whisk in a cup of shredded Mexican blend cheeses (I used Tillamook blend).

Heat til the cheese is melted and serve. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves or additional shredded cheese.

To make a main meal, add shredded chicken or beef to the bowl, then ladle soup over it.

mojave 11-30-2011 03:19 PM

This sounds delicious! Will save the recipe for a chilly day. It sounds so warming.

Dee

Charski 11-30-2011 03:30 PM

It's really good, and it's past the time when I can edit it, but I forgot to say that I now just throw the shredded cheese in the blender too and make a "one-step" recipe out of it, except for the heating!

Feel free to tweak to your liking too. Sometimes I add a dash or two of liquid smoke and sometimes I add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to it - just depends on my mood and what other spice or condiment catches my eye!

Melloshello 11-30-2011 07:56 PM

It sounds YUMMY! I think I may try this one tomorrow!

LindaSue 12-02-2011 07:48 AM

I froze my roasted poblanos but I know what I'm going to do with them. I'm going to make the recipe below but sub the poblanos for the canned green chiles:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...n_monterey.jpg

CHILE CHICKEN MONTEREY
4 boneless chicken breasts
Seasonings of your choice
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
4 ounce can mushrooms or 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
4 ounces pepper-jack cheese, shredded

Flatten and season the chicken breasts; grill and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the onions and mushrooms in butter until the onions are tender. Stir in the chiles. Place the chicken pieces on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking pan. Top with the mushroom mixture, then with the cheese. Bake at 350º about 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 224 Calories; 8g Fat; 32g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Melloshello 12-02-2011 11:31 AM

That's it ... LindaSue ... you need to open a Low Carb restaurant. All of your stuff looks sooooo good!

buttoni 12-02-2011 04:54 PM

That DOES look good, LindaSue! I'll have to try that with poblanos too.

pugluv9802 10-17-2012 05:06 PM

bump

GratefulParrot 10-18-2012 05:34 AM

subbing

DeniseO 10-18-2012 02:18 PM

This is good! Comes from my mother-in-law who lives in the south of Mexico.

Rajas con Crema
(Poblano, Cream & Cheese)

Ingredients:
• ¼ cup butter
• ¼ cup oil
• 1 large white onions, peeled and cut into thin crescents
• 8 poblano chiles, roasted, seed and peeled, and cut into strips
• 1 ½ cups Mexican crema, or half heavy cream and half sour cream
• salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:
In a large skillet, melt the butter with the oil, add the onions and sauté until transparent.
Add the chile strips and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Add the crema, salt and pepper and continue cooking over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
Serves 4.

somethingblue2u 10-18-2012 05:34 PM

I am curious about roasting the poblano peppers over an open flame. I have a gas stove and I am interested in giving it a whirl. Any directions/tips you can share?

Also I would like to hear more about your Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Pobalos please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melloshello (Post 15212877)
I got a HUGE bag of Poblano Peppers on sale today. I made my favorite Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Poblanos, but now I am at a loss as to what to cook with the rest of them. Anyone have any good recipes that utilize these delicious peppers?

graciejean 10-18-2012 06:01 PM

yum

I wish all of you lived close to me ,everything looks amazing:hugs:

Soobee 10-19-2012 03:46 AM

Place the peppers over your open flame. Char until black, turning to burn all over. Put your burned peppers in a covered bowl or paper bag to steam. Afte 10 minutes or so, wipe off the charred skins with a paper towel. Try not to rinse the peppers, because all those juices are flavor. Scrape out the seeds. I am sure there are better explanations online if you google "How to roast peppers". You can also broil them.

Criosa 10-19-2012 06:22 AM

I usually broil in the oven, unless camping. I like doing it the flame way more, like Soobee, as broiling can over cook them, making it harder to skin, and more mushy. I usually give in, and rinse with water, losing some flavor I'm sure. I had a lot from my garden this year, so I used some, and froze the rest in a single layer. Then I put them into a freezer bag.

Thank you so much for all the recipes! They look great!

Dottie 10-19-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingblue2u (Post 16024855)
I am curious about roasting the poblano peppers over an open flame. I have a gas stove and I am interested in giving it a whirl. Any directions/tips you can share?

Also I would like to hear more about your Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Pobalos please.

Open your doors and windows and have a fan blowing the smoke away ;)

rosethorns 10-19-2012 09:26 AM

Somethingble2u If you have grilling tongs or forks or long skewers put peppers on and cook on your open flame . It only takes a few minutes on gas range turning as you go. I loved mine now I have electric :down:

It takes a lot longer in the oven and you still have to turn them.

I use my outdoor grill to roast them then pressure can them. I have no more room in my freezers.

DixieMoon 10-19-2012 09:44 AM

Chicken Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers

This is so good!

4 medium poblano peppers
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 pound chicken meat cooked - breasts cut into cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms - cut into chunks
2 roma tomatoes - finely chop (optional)
Monterey Jack cheese or your choice - shredded
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 Tbs. olive oil

I grill the chicken breasts using Greek seasoning. You can use whatever spices you like (chili powder, cumin, garlic) or marinate the chicken in your favorite marinade.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Use gloves to protect your hands or make certain to wash hands well afterward.

Wash peppers, then using a sharp paring knife, make a slit down the side of each pepper from top to bottom.

Carefully cut away the seeds under the stem and membrane inside each pepper and rinse with water. Leave the stem on. Set aside.

Heat 2 teaspoons of canola oil in skillet over medium-high heat.

Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until the onions are translucent and starting to turn golden. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cooked chicken. Add salt. Mix thoroughly.

Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Lasagna dish works great.

Using the olive oil, oil the outside of the poblano peppers and place them cut side up in the casserole dish.

Divide the chicken mixture and stuff into each pepper through the slit.

Cover and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are fork tender. Remove the cover for the last 10 minutes of cooking and sprinkle with cheese of your choice.

I serve this over a bed of cauliflower rice.

Website where I obtained this recipe gives 1 net carb for each pepper.

Enjoy!