Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Bullet Proof Coffee Recipe

This was mentioned on Jimmy's podcast the other day..

Coffee plus unsalted butter equals ????

Anyone dare to try it? Credited to Dave Asprey

Recipe
Start with 500 ml (2 mugs) of black coffee brewed with mold-free beans (important)
Add 2 Tbs (or more, I prefer 80 grams, about 2/3 of a standard stick of butter) of Kerry Gold or other UNSALTED grass-fed butter
Add 30 grams of MCT oil for max energy, weight loss and brain function (optional if you have none)
Blend with a pre-heated hand blender, Magic Bullet, or (best) counter top blender until there is a creamy head of foam
Itís really fast and easy to prepare. Allow me to stat that salted coffee is a crime. Do not do this with salted butter. Bleah.

Kerrygold butter or another grass-fed brand of butter really matters because corn or soy-fed cows donít make butter with the same fats. Those butters donít blend well, donít taste good, and donít make you feel Bulletproof.

Grass-fed butter is much healthier than other butter. It doesnít make cholesterol levels worse, it optimizes them! Starting your day with grass-fed butter will give you lots of energy and it will give your body healthy fats that it will use to make cell walls and hormones.

If youíre like most of my friends who try this, your body is so starved for healthy fats that you feel like you canít get enough. It will take your body a week or so to fully turn on its fat digestion systems when you switch to a high healthy fat breakfast of Bulletproof coffee. If at first it is a little too rich, try using less butter at first and build up to the amount you like. Taking a betaine HCl or digestive enzyme supplement with your coffee will also help your body digest the butter.

Try this. After one drink of Bulletproof coffee, youíll never be tempted to eat fat-free, insulin-raising, fat-storing toast and oatmeal breakfasts again!

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sounds amazing! Might try this tomorrow!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #3

I know, Clackley..It sounds great..I will have to look for organic unsalted butter though.

Let me know if you try it.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #4

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, wow!! I have heard of other low carbers adding butter to their coffee. Never thought of those other ingredients though. I know I can get Kerrygold butter!! Might have to try this one.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Butter in my coffee? Interesting
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I haven't had coffee with butter but I have made Tibetan tea which is black tea with cream and butter with a pinch of salt shaken to homogenize. Tibetans use yak milk and rancid butter so not sure I would like the original version. They drink it for the fat to help with the cold weather.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well, since sweet (unsalted) butter is nothing more than churned cream - it should be delicious!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have added a wee bit of butter to coffee in restaurants that only offer 10% cream (or worse yet milk) and it is very good.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #9

Cathy: What a great idea..as long as the restaurants serve real butter..
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
While I too realize that butter is cream, this still just doesn't sound good to me. Think I'll pass. Think I'll just stick with cream in my coffee.
I'm interesed in the MTC oil tho. Haven't heard of it. Need to check that out.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
This sounds very good. I love coffee with unsweetened cocoa powder and coconut oil, never thought of trying it with butter. I only use Kerry Gold unsalted butter, so I always have it on hand. Couple of questions though, I confess to making instant coffee with Nescafe espresso. Would this be allright?
If not, how do I know if coffee beans are mold free? What in the world is a preheated hand blender? My stick blender is plastic, don't think I would like to warm it up in the oven.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Mold free coffee beans? Do coffee beans normally have mold in them? How would you tell?
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
I never thought of adding butter to coffee, but I do it daily. I add about a tsp of chocolate bark to my coffee. I make chocolate bark with 1/2 butter and 1/2 palm oil. I do not use the specific coffee or butter specified. I use regular Maxwell House and any inexpensive store brand butter (usually salted). I also add a dash of cinnamon to help lower glucose.

BTW: coconut oil and palm oils are both MCT oils. (Medium Chain Triglycerides)
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Does anyone add anything else to their bullet-proof coffee besides butter? Like sweetener, flavorings? Also, does the butter color the coffee? Something about the "look" of cream in my coffee makes me happy.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yay Library Girl

For me it's coffee with 2 tbs. HWC and ss. x 2 mugs in the a.m.
I will never drink it black. Isn't this like having butter in my coffee?
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
Mold free coffee beans? Do coffee beans normally have mold in them? How would you tell?
Yes! FDA allows something like less than 10% of beans being moldy...
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I too like my coffee to have that creamy look. Has anyone tried the butter and really liked it without any cream?
I have been using some coconut milk along with my cream , it's pretty yummy.
Coconut milk by itself does not give that nice creamy color.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
I've tried it and it's very good. It looks very much like creamed coffee, but it has a deeper flavor. It frothes pretty well, very easily, with my stick blender. I made it the first time with salted Kerrygold butter and thought it tasted fine--but I'm a salt hound with a high tolerance.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
At the bulletproof exec site (am not linking to it because it sells some products, although I think it's really an info site that finances itself that way, rather than being a vendor site) Dave Asprey lists what to look for to qualify coffee as being likely mold-free. As I recall it should be a single estate coffee (a blend is almost certain to have at least one moldy source), it should be high altitude (above 1200 feet, I believe), because mold is not as likely to grow there. And it must be washed, or water processed (to remove the hulls). If it says "natural" process, that's no good, because it means the coffee has been fermented to aid the hull-shedding, which means mold is more likely. All decaf is out, because caffeine offers protection (albeit not complete) against mold, and I think that he said that all instant is likely to be moldy. AND, if I recall correctly, it's less likely to be moldy if it comes from (high up in) central America.

I'm pretty sure that you'll find selections meeting the above qualifications only from among "specialty" coffees, which means expensiveness.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 10-08-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Tried a pat of butter in my coffee last night...um, so so, BUT, then I only ate about a third of my steak. I guess it does suppress appetite. Not sure if it will become a regular thing for me or not.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I tried the butter in my coffee... I used 1 tablespoon of regular unsalted butter and put it into my bullet... It was sooooo yummy... I guess 1T. is too much I will divide it next time.. and I am off to the store to buy the organitic version. YUM
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I always have to go one step further and since I drink instant coffee I thought hmmmm how can I make this into a quick start in the morning? So I took 8 tablespoons of butter and 8 tablespoon of instant coffee plus 8 serving of sweetener and put into my bullet then into 8 candy molds... Then I froze them. In the a.m I will just add 20 ounces of boiling water put into my Bullet... VIOLA
Seems like a lot of work hu?

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
That looks like coffee fudge...yum!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Just might have to try this!
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL!! I tried a bite of the "coffee fudge" YUK LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
Well I always have to go one step further and since I drink instant coffee I thought hmmmm how can I make this into a quick start in the morning? So I took 8 tablespoons of butter and 8 tablespoon of instant coffee plus 8 serving of sweetener and put into my bullet then into 8 candy molds... Then I froze them. In the a.m I will just add 20 ounces of boiling water put into my Bullet... VIOLA

Let us know how that works. It does look tasty though.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post

Tryed Frozen coffee this a.m... was perfect and creamy
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi - are there any special synergies with this recipe - compatibilities between ingredients where they work together? Would adding anything extra remove some of the punch?

Reason asking, I can see this as almost a morning shake with above ingredients, a couple of eggs and some vanilla Jay Robb whey protein. This would be make it a bullet proof protein shake?

I'm off to make it now - it's 3pm, but I have a pretty long day ahead and just bought a GNC mini blender ($20 version of a magic bullet since Vitamix seems like overkill) for just this type of drink.

Verdict of first cup: Tastes good - will try to get some MCT oil at the local food co-op today, they tend to have progressive things. I'm liking this - and what a way to add fat to your diet. Look forward to someone's response on whether adding eggs or whey protein would impact this.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!

Last edited by sbarr; 10-14-2012 at 12:15 PM..
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Hi - are there any special synergies with this recipe - compatibilities between ingredients where they work together? Would adding anything extra remove some of the punch?

Reason asking, I can see this as almost a morning shake with above ingredients, a couple of eggs and some vanilla Jay Robb whey protein. This would be make it a bullet proof protein shake?

I'm off to make it now - it's 3pm, but I have a pretty long day ahead and just bought a GNC mini blender ($20 version of a magic bullet since Vitamix seems like overkill) for just this type of drink.

Verdict of first cup: Tastes good - will try to get some MCT oil at the local food co-op today, they tend to have progressive things. I'm liking this - and what a way to add fat to your diet. Look forward to someone's response on whether adding eggs or whey protein would impact this.
If you add eggs and whey to make it into a shake, the coffee flavor will be more dilute, or milder, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be really good in a different way. I'm inclined to think it probably would be.

In another thread here, or on another forum, I've seen doubts raised that you could chill the butter emulsification without it going solid. However, I tried setting a little of the bulletproof coffee mixture aside and chilling it, and it remained liquid. Admittedly, it was not super cold, nor did I keep it cold for a long time before drinking it--also, I use a super-powerful stick mixer...but I'm betting that once the butter is well mixed in hot coffee, with a regular stick mixer, it will remain liquid (having reverted to its creamy qualities due to the emulsification), even if you use it to make a super-cold shake.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I tried it this morning - about 2 T butter, coffee, 1 scoop of Jay Robb and 1 egg (will probably go to 2 eggs later) and it was pretty tasty. Not hot but warm-hot. The egg had been refrigerated, so that's likely part of the temperature adjustment. I'm going to leave the egg out tonight so that it's at least room temperature.

I also checked on the Dave Asprey site and it seems that there isn't a problem with adding other ingredients.

This was good, looking forward to seeing how it will hold me over through much of the day.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote