Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Candied Nuts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/746684-sugar-free-pumpkin-spice-candied-nuts.html)

Speck333 11-23-2011 11:52 AM

Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Candied Nuts

1 Attachment(s)
Based on this recipe
Warning: they are addictive!

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup erythritol*
4-5 drops ez sweets or equivalent sweetener
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups pecan halves (or walnuts, almonds, etc.)

Directions

In a large heavy skillet, melt butter. Add erythritol*; cook and stir over medium-high heat until erythritol is dissolved. Continue cooking as it foams and froths until mixture turns an amber color, about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in pie spice and vanilla; add pecans. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until pecans are toasted. Spread onto foil to cool.

*you might be able to sub xylitol, but the erythritol acts like sugar and goes through the toffee-like stage when cooked with the butter, and really puts a candy coating on the nuts. I wouldn't recommend using only splenda or stevia, etc.
Attachment 41554

Charski 11-23-2011 12:27 PM

This sounds like I should run right to the kitchen and make it! :)

Did you use granular or powdered E?

Speck333 11-23-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 15199221)
This sounds like I should run right to the kitchen and make it! :)

Did you use granular or powdered E?

Seriously, if you've got all the ingredients, and some will power, you should.
I used granular E.

Charski 11-23-2011 12:32 PM

Thanks, Speck, I have a lot of that on hand!

Gotta go see what I have for nuts - I KNOW I have some raw cashews and some raw hazelnuts....

TBipp 11-23-2011 02:59 PM

This sounds great. Do the pecans become toasted enough in the skillet? I love pecans that are toasted and usually toast before adding to most recipes.

Teresa

Speck333 11-23-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 15199534)
This sounds great. Do the pecans become toasted enough in the skillet? I love pecans that are toasted and usually toast before adding to most recipes.

Teresa

I can't say for sure, but they are nutty, flavorful and crunchy. I don't think it would hurt to pre-toast them if you want to make sure they are to your taste.

Tilly 11-23-2011 06:26 PM

I just know I am going to make these. It is just a matter of when. I think I am low on one ingredient right now, will power. Just made the pumpkin pie cake, so I need to have only one treat around at a time. I may just do like some have suggested, cut it, then bag it up and then toss in the freezer. Thanks for sharing!

wishbone 11-24-2011 01:03 PM

I made these yesterday right after I saw this post.....LOVE THEM.
I tend to pick up pecans and walnuts at the Dollar Store...and made the recipe with all pecans. (((I have dentures))) and REALLY appreciate a "softer" nut. They don't get SNEAKY and slip underneath my teeth :hyst:

Speck333 11-24-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 15201176)
I made these yesterday right after I saw this post.....LOVE THEM.
I tend to pick up pecans and walnuts at the Dollar Store...and made the recipe with all pecans. (((I have dentures))) and REALLY appreciate a "softer" nut. They don't get SNEAKY and slip underneath my teeth :hyst:

I'm so happy to hear that :up:
The batch I made yesterday is already gone!:o

TBipp 11-25-2011 05:08 AM

My batch was a huge hit on the nibbler table before dinner and are all gone also. I lightly toasted my pecans first in the oven. My caramel looked separated so as the pecans were cooling, I tossed them with some granular Splenda, a pinch of salt and more cinnamon. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for developing a low carb treat version of this recipe!

Teresa

Charski 11-25-2011 09:03 AM

I didn't get a chance to make this yet but I sure am going to as soon as I get some more nuts! I think pecan halves are what I want to use and don't have any on hand right now.