Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cherry Cream Cheese Pie recipe help needed (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/745889-cherry-cream-cheese-pie-recipe-help-needed.html)

elainesmith 11-17-2011 09:16 AM

Cherry Cream Cheese Pie recipe help needed

Could Jen Eloff's Condensed milk recipe be used for this recipe? Would it thicken with the lemon juice?

Cherry Cream Cheese Pie
6 to 8 servings

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust ( low carb of course)
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling, chilled (thought about kevinpa's Bell pepper faux cherries)

Directions
In either a stand mixer fixed with a paddle attachment or using a hand held electric mixer, cream the cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly add the milk mixing on low speed until well combined. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla and pour into the crust. Place the pie into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours up to overnight, until well chilled and set.

Top the pie with the pie filling just before serving.

RVcook 11-17-2011 10:13 PM

I would try it. I sure can't see why it wouldn't work...

JoniBGoode 11-21-2011 01:59 PM

A Different Cheery Cherry Cheese Pie

Or here is a version I created last year that uses no condensed milk at all...

No Bake Cherry Cheesecake

One of my favorite high-carb holiday desserts was a cheese “pie” with a cheese-cake like filling made with condensed milk and lemon juice. Topped with cherry pie filling, it was delicious. This no-bake cheesecake has a very similar taste and texture.

½ cup heavy cream, whipped to make about 7/8 cup
2 8 oz. packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened.
½ to 2/3 cup powdered sweetener blend -- I use erythritol + stevia + a dash of splenda
1.5 tsp. lemon or lime juice (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla
½ to 1 TBSP caramel Da Vinci syrup (optional)
1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling, chilled

Spray a metal pie pan with non-stick coating. Whip the cream with an electric mixer in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Remove whipped cream and reserve for later.

In the same bowl, beat softened cream cheese, lemon or lime, vanilla, sweetener and Da Vinci syrup until blended. Add whipped cream and mix well. Turn into pie pan and refrigerate at least 2 hours until set. Put the can of pie filling in the refrigerator at the same time.

Optional: I like this dessert without a crust, but you can use your favorite crumb crust, or spritz the pie pan generously with non-stick cooking spray and dust with graham cracker crumbs. Adds 13 g carbs per 2.5 oz of graham cracker crumbs.

Notes: This is a very soft cheesecake, like the original recipe. The slices will not hold their shape on a plate. If you prefer a firmer cheesecake, dissolve ¼ tsp. (1/2 tsp?) xanthan gum (or Jennifer Eloff’s thickener) in the lemon juice or a tsp. of water and add with lemon juice.

wcwendy 11-21-2011 02:28 PM

OP, in case you want to try something slightly different sometime, I grew up with a recipe similar to yours:

Mix together:
softened cream cheese, whipped
Cool Whip
lemon juice

Spread over graham cracker crust. Top w/ canned cherry pie filling.

I've made it lowcarb w/ HWC instead of a crust, no crust, and Torani or Davinci syrup or SF jell-o for flavoring. Or added a few berries when I thought that I could. I've also made it without fruit/berry flavoring. I served it (to myself :D) in a pretty bowl.

wcwendy 11-21-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elainesmith (Post 15183634)
(thought about kevinpa's Bell pepper faux cherries)

Do you have a link? I don't know about these and didn't find them when I searched.

christyjo 11-22-2011 08:02 AM

Here is a link to the post for pseudo fruit from peppers

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...t-cakes-2.html

I haven't tried them, as I am a card-carrying-member of the fruit cake regifting society...

christyjo

CarolynF 11-22-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elainesmith (Post 15183634)
Could Jen Eloff's Condensed milk recipe be used for this recipe? Would it thicken with the lemon juice?

Cherry Cream Cheese Pie
6 to 8 servings

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust ( low carb of course)
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling, chilled (thought about kevinpa's Bell pepper faux cherries)

Directions
In either a stand mixer fixed with a paddle attachment or using a hand held electric mixer, cream the cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly add the milk mixing on low speed until well combined. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla and pour into the crust. Place the pie into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours up to overnight, until well chilled and set.

Top the pie with the pie filling just before serving.

My opinion is that it won't work because there isn't enough cream cheese in this to firm it up with the 14 ounces of liquid..I might double the cream cheese and see what happens.

JoniBGoode 11-22-2011 10:54 AM

Yeah, the problem with the original recipe is that sweetened condensed milk becomes firmer than pudding simply by adding an acid ingredient like lemon juice. I don't think a sugar-free condensed milk substitute will ever do that, so you have to add something to firm it up. You can use a gum or unflavored gelatin. Or, you can use eggs and cook it, to thicken it.

JoniBGoode 11-22-2011 10:56 AM

Elaine -- Cherries

Wal-Mart sells a cherry pie filling with no sugar added, that is okay. If memory serves, it's about 8 g of carb per 1/3 cup serving, which is plenty to top this cheesecake.

I like my pie filling a little sweeter, so I just stir in a few drops of Sweetzfree or a similar liquid Splenda. That way you have the texture of cherries, which is hard to duplicate.

metqa 11-22-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15196185)
My opinion is that it won't work because there isn't enough cream cheese in this to firm it up with the 14 ounces of liquid..I might double the cream cheese and see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoniBGoode (Post 15196207)
Yeah, the problem with the original recipe is that sweetened condensed milk becomes firmer than pudding simply by adding an acid ingredient like lemon juice. I don't think a sugar-free condensed milk substitute will ever do that, so you have to add something to firm it up. You can use a gum or unflavored gelatin. Or, you can use eggs and cook it, to thicken it.

I dont see why it wouldn't work. We make a regular version of this pie every year with only 1 block of cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and it firms up just fine. I don't think it's the sugar in the condensed milk but the dairy itself that reacts to the lemon juice to thicken up.

Maybe I don't know what this condensed milk substiture is made of but someone mentioned just using plain condensed milk and adding splenda or some other non-nutritive sweetener and it should still thicken cause it is still condensed milk and still reacts with acid.

I made a version of this that using drained sweetened yogurt instead of condensed sweetened milk, and it still was thick and creamy. and much fewer calories than the original.

Quote:

Cherry Cheesecake Pie- Metqanized

Ok, so the original recipe goes like this:

1 graham cracker Pie crust (Keebler Ready Crust -880kcal, Fat-40 g, Carb-112 g, pro-8 g)
1 can condensed sweetened milk (1300 kcal, Fat-30 g, Carb- 220 g, pro-30 g)
1 block cream cheese room temp or softened (800 kcal, F-80 g, Carb-16g, pro-16g)
3-4 T Fresh squeezed lemon Juice/Real Lemon Brand/frozen Juice (14 kcal, Fat-0 g, Carb- 5 g, pro-0g)
1/2 can cherry pie filling (350 kcal, Fat- 0 g, Carb- 88 g, pro- g)

Blend the cream cheese with the condensed milk and lemon juice till smooth, then pour into the pie crust, cover and refrigerate till chilled and set. After chilled, top with Cherry Pie filling. Serve.

[...]

My ingredients List

Graham Cracker Pie Crust (-880kcal, F-40g, Carb-112g, pro-8g) (You could make an almond flour crust, but I was under time restraint or I didn't feel like bothering since I was loading anyway, take your pick)
1 Quart Plain full fat yogurt drained overnight , about two cups (480 kcal, Fat - 32g, Carb-23 g, pro-28g)*
1 block cream cheese room temp or softened (800 kcal, F-80 g, Carb-16g, pro-16g)
3-4 T Fresh squeezed lemon Juice/Real Lemon Brand/frozen Juice (14 kcal, Fat-0 g, Carb- 5 g, pro-0g)
1 cup Granular Splenda (96 Kcal, 24 carbs) You can use a liquid sweetener for less carbs.
1/2 can Comstock Brand Sugar Free cherry pie filling (123 kcal, Fat- 0 g, Carb- 28 g, pro-0 g)

The day before, Drain your quart of Plain yogurt by lining a small colander with a large coffee filter or paper towels, placing it over a bowl so that it sits on the rim, not down in the bowl, and pour the yogurt into the colander. Let drain overnight on the counter for faster results, cover with a clean dish cloth or a pot pan lid to keep any flying creatures or dust out. Check after an hour and drain, If you don't the whey will rise up to touch and saturate the yogurt and it won't drain dry.

In a mixing bowl add the Splenda, drained yogurt, cream cheese, and lemon juice. This order keeps the dry splenda from flying out when you start the blender. Blend on low till everything is smooth and incorporated. Taste and adjust lemon or sweetness. Pour into pie crust, smooth and flatten the surface to the edge, cover and refrigerate. When chilled top with cherry topping and serve.

BF doesn't like the large cherries, so I take the topping and buzz it a couple of times in the food chopper to make them smaller bits, but not liquified. In fact, I find the filling too liquidy so I just pull out the cherries and buzz those for a nice thick non-runny topping.

Aagh Numbers. Here goes

Regular Pie Total - 3344 Calories, 230g Fat, 441g carbs, 54g protein
Metqanized Pie Total - 2393 Calories, 152g fat, 208g carbs, 52g protein

Per 1/8 slice
Regular Pie Total - 418 Calories, 29g Fat, 55g carbs, 7g protein
Metqanized Pie Total - 299 Calories, 19g fat, 26g carbs, 7g protein

Wow!! 25% less Calories, and Less than Half the Carbs, and that's still with a regular graham cracker crust!!
Tee Hee
I'm bad at almond flour pie crusts, BUT if you are good at making them, then Good On Ya! Make one and lower the carbs EVEN MORE!
Plus you can shave off 3 g carbs per serving by using a liquid zero carb sweetener instead of granular Splenda.

Quote:

My calculations for yogurt cheese nutritional info

I started with the nutritional info on my whole milk that I make my yogurt with. It has per cup 150 calories, 12 carbs, 8grams fat, 8 grams protein.

On a tracker 1 cup of whey is as follows: 60 calories, 12.6 carbs, .2 grams fat, 1.9 grams protein.

So if we start with 2 cups of yogurt we have: 300 calories, 24 carbs, 16 grams fat, 16 grams protein.

When we drain the whey off the yogurt we end up with approximately 1 cup whey and one cup of yogurt cheese.

So by difference 1 cup of yogurt cheese should be as follows: 240 calories,
11.4 carbs, 15.8 grams fat, 14.1 grams protein.

We can check this by multiplying 4 for carbs, 9 for fat, and 4 for protein and indeed we end up with about 240 calories.

So we see that yogurt cheese does have more fat than plain yogurt, but the carb difference is not that great so throwing out the whey does not make that much difference unless of course all the carbs in the whey are digestible. One thing to note though is that the calories are higher because of the extra fat. So if you are counting calories too, I would take this into consideration especially if you are doing a full yogurt fast which should be less than 1000 calories.

Hope this helps with some confusion with the yogurt cheese.

Amy

Year of the Rabbit

judytab 11-22-2011 11:31 AM

What I would do is make a baked cheesecake filling instead and add the cherries on top of that. I have done this in the past and added the cherries when the cheesecake was half way cooked, then finished baking it with the cherry filling on top. It was very good.

JoniBGoode 11-22-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 15196315)
Maybe I don't know what this condensed milk substiture is made of but someone mentioned just using plain condensed milk and adding splenda or some other non-nutritive sweetener and it should still thicken cause it is still condensed milk and still reacts with acid.

Interesting, metga! Where do you buy non-sweetened condensed milk? I've seen evaporated milk, but all the condensed milk I've seen has sugar in it. I'll have to try it.

Yes, the yogurt will definitely work. I use yogurt in my key lime pie, since the sour taste is actually an advantage there. But even with only half a cup of lemon juice, it's very runny unless I add a thickener.

JoniBGoode 11-22-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 15196315)
I I don't think it's the sugar in the condensed milk but the dairy itself that reacts to the lemon juice to thicken up.

Maybe it is the dairy, but I can't get it to work. I tried Dannon Yogurt, Heavy Whipping Cream, 2% milk, evaporated milk and a whey protein shake I had in the fridge. In each case, I mixed 2 TBSP with 1 TBSP of lemon juice. They all came out about the consistency of heavy whipping cream or a little runnier.

If I did that with condensed milk, it would be a solid -- somewhat thicker than pudding.

Quote:

I made a version of this that using drained sweetened yogurt instead of condensed sweetened milk, and it still was thick and creamy. and much fewer calories than the original.
Metqa, did you also add the half cup of lemon juice to your version with yogurt? Or did you leave the juice out?

metqa 11-22-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoniBGoode (Post 15196432)
Interesting, metga! Where do you buy non-sweetened condensed milk? I've seen evaporated milk, but all the condensed milk I've seen has sugar in it. I'll have to try it.

Yes, the yogurt will definitely work. I use yogurt in my key lime pie, since the sour taste is actually an advantage there. But even with only half a cup of lemon juice, it's very runny unless I add a thickener.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ble-cream.html
Beeb started a thread about it. I've seen it in the stores, but had no idea what to use it for until Beeb suggested this. I haven't tried it yet, but I will very soon. My BF said the Yogurt version wasn't syrupy enough as the original.I don't mind not being syrupy it was sweet enough

With the Yogurt, I would drain it first since it has so much whey, and the whey doesn't thicken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoniBGoode (Post 15196738)
Maybe it is the dairy, but I can't get it to work. I tried Dannon Yogurt, Heavy Whipping Cream, 2% milk, evaporated milk and a whey protein shake I had in the fridge. In each case, I mixed 2 TBSP with 1 TBSP of lemon juice. They all came out about the consistency of heavy whipping cream or a little runnier.

If I did that with condensed milk, it would be a solid -- somewhat thicker than pudding.

Metqa, did you also add the half cup of lemon juice to your version with yogurt? Or did you leave the juice out?

BF's Mom's recipe only used 4T of Juice, that's only 1/4 cup. but I could imagine it being WOW:eek: with double that amount! It was lighter in texture than the original, but still thick and slice-able. The combination of cream cheese and super thick drained whole milk yogurt.

I think because condensed milk has already had most of the water removed it so easily solidifies with an acid because there is very little water left to separate out. It's mostly the sugars and fats left in that can with just enough moisture to keep it pourable.

I think combining a small amount of whole uncurdled dairy with half it's volume in lemon juice is not a good indication of it's thickening because the juice itself is mostly water and the milk product is mostly water, so even it if thickens it's still mostly water.

Nestle Media Crema at Netrition

http://images.netrition.com/images/i...g/690-0001.jpg

ladeeda 11-22-2011 04:30 PM

I made KevinPa's Faux cherries using red bell pepper and they were surprisingly good.

JoniBGoode 11-23-2011 05:01 AM

Okay, thanks metga, good to know!

metqa 11-29-2011 02:37 PM

I have to wait until I have an Up Day to try this, I'd be too tempted to lick spoons and such.

I'm assuming since there aren't any more replies, no one has tried this yet. I found the Media Cream and since it is only 7 oz, I'm gonna use two cans and Beeb's condensed milk recipe and make the pie according to the recipe I posted, then I'm gonna get finicky BF to try it from a Non-Dieter's Perspective.

It might be tomorrow or thursday or Friday before I get to it though. So if anyone had any success or failures, ... Tell me now!!! :laugh:

CarolynF 11-29-2011 03:00 PM

Here is a great recipe from Gnossienne..

2 packages of cream cheese
2 whole eggs
2 cans of Table Cream (Nestle brand)
Sweetner to taste
1 tsp. vanilla extract or almond extract

Pour into a pie pan and then place pie pan in a 9 x 13 with a little water on the bottom..(Don't want it to go over the pie pan). Bake until golden brown at 325.