Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
Carbquik Pizza Recipe?

I just got my order of carbquik from Netrition and tried to make a pizza using the recipe on the box... it came out very plain and I did not like it at all. I added low carb sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzerella cheese and topped it off with a little bit of parmesan and yeaaah no bueno What can I do to flavor it up a bit?
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Garlic butter sauce? Garlic salt? Add Italian seasoning or oregano and basil to the dough?
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
carbquick isn't very good. you can improve it by mixing it 1/3 each with almond meal and oat fiber, I think. be sure to use a lot of eggs with that mixture though!

not sure about pizza. I just make a very thin, very crisp crust (actually more like what we were served everywhere in Italy, where pizza crusts were often as thin as a thin cracker) out of grated cheese in a nonstick skillet.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
While I LOVE Carbquick i was NOT impressed with the pizza crust recipe. There may be a better one out there for Carbquick.

I LOVE LS Deep Dish Pizza Recipe. But I spread is SUPER thin in Cookie Sheets.

Let me know if you find a better Carbquick Pizza rust recipe. I like using carbquick in other ways!!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Here is a recipe that my BFF zerokewl showed me. He found it here, I believe.

I didn't let it rise, I just added the yeast and rolled it. I used it for breadsticks, and they were yummy breadsticks.

His pizza (I'll just use his link, I'm sure he won't get pissed.)

Carbquik Recipe: Another Carbquik Pizza

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast (I buy it by the bag)
3/4 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar (necessary for yeast)
2 1/2 c. Carbquik
1/4 tsp baking soda

Instructions:

Soften yeast in water and sugar, let sit for a few minutes. Add the mix and baking soda. Knead 2 minutes (I have a kitchen aid).
Roll into 2 12\" circles (actually I made one huge 16\" pizza), using a little carbquik to keep it from sticking to the pin. You could probably pat it out into the pan, but mine has holes on the bottom, so I couldn\'t do that.
Put on a greased pizza pan, brush with olive oil. Add pizza sauce and toppings. I let it sit out for about an hour, and it didn\'t rise much, so I don\'t know if it is necessary.
Bake in 425 degree oven about 15 minutes.

This recipe contributed by: Criosa (Low Carb Friends

His breadsticks:

Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the sugar is only ok if you are going to let it rise fully... otherwise it's all there in your dough, and why would we do that? LOL

I am always reluctant to give yeast that much sugar in any case, for fear they won't eat it all.

if you are going to do what cindy lolz did and use the yeast for flavor only, not for rising, the sugar is not needed.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's Pizza Crust

My pizza crust recipe uses a small amount of Carbquick and a bit of Jennifer Eloff's LC Bake mix. It's the best pizza crust I've tasted to date that consistently that comes out well for me (at least the 3-4 times I've made it so far) and the ONLY one my husband has liked when warmed up on day 2. This one WOWed us. Reminds me most of yeast pizza crust of all the LC crusts I've tried to date. This is actually a modification of Sherrielee’s Artisan Flatbread on LindaSue’s site and it isn’t as salty as most of the cheesy, veggie based LC crusts I’ve tried to date. I also reduce the pepperoni on my side of pizza as I don't tolerate much sodium. This crust is not acceptable until the grains rung of OWL, however. BTW, you CAN pick this up and eat it with your hands. No fork and knife needed.

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 beaten eggs
½ c. Jennifer Eloffs Low Carb Bake Mix (made with plain whey protein)
¼ c. CarbQuick bake mix
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
2 T. Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS: Line a pizza pan with parchment paper. Soften cream cheese and beat in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and cheese in the order listed above. Stir, beating until batter is smooth. Evenly spread onto parchment paper with a rubber spatula, trying to keep the thickness even throughout. Bake in preheated 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes until just done in the center to the touch, but not overly browned on the edges. Remove from oven and top with sauce, spices, cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake another 15 minutes or so to melt cheese and meld flavors.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each (crust only) contains:

147 calories
12.3 g fat
3.51 g carbs, 1.73 g fiber, 1.78 g NET CARBS
8.94 g protein
244 mg sodium

Jen Eloff's Low Carb Bake Mix:

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (or plain)
(sweetened with sucralose, i.e. Splenda)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten

In large tupperware-type container with lid, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten. Replace lid and shake until all ingredients are well combined. This recipe may be doubled or tripled, so that one always has bake mix on hand. I keep it at room temperature in the container for months, but it may be kept in the refrigerator or freezer as well.

Nutritional Analysis: 1/3 cup
162.9 calories; 14.3 g protein; 10.3 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, plain whey protein, coconut flour, golden flax meal, ground walnuts, Carbalose flour, oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, soy flour or any flour sub can be used.

If you are gluten free, sub in her gluten-free bake mix instead, but you will have to recalculate stats with that substitution.

Last edited by buttoni; 11-18-2011 at 06:18 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
DH and I enjoyed Buttoni's pizza tonight. I should have baked it longer the first time as the crust was slightly soggy but I blame that on me. Also, I could have spread it thinner. It seemed quite thin before I baked it, and I had no idea it would puff up as much as it did. Looking forward to trying this again.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Marking my place
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad you liked the crust, TBipp. Yes, this one does rise up nicely, so it really will cover a large pizza pan thinly but will not be too thin when done rising in the oven. I use a fork to help spread my batter out thinly onto the parchment.

Now you've got me wanting pizza! I haven't make this in awhile and may just do one myself tomorrow!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
The leftovers the next day were excellent and tasted to me even more of a high carb pizza. I was happy to enjoy it for lunch.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I was impressed with the leftover slices, too. Not soggy or dried out either one. Just good.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

subbing yum!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
My ladies' group is planning a pannini bread sandwich-maker party (I guess it's one of those machines that make grilled cheese sandwiches.)

I was thinking of making a pizza crust and bringing it for my "pannini" sandwich. How do you think this bread would fare in such a machine?
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Yes, I was impressed with the leftover slices, too. Not soggy or dried out either one. Just good.
Peggy, can I use Jennifer's Gluten Free mix instead? If so, would I change anything?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@Nikki, I think it would work if already baked and in the shape of your machine. I've never used a pannini machine. But basically they just "toast" the sandwich that uses already cooked bread, right? I wouldn't try to "cook" the bread from batter stage in it, however.

@Tilly, Sure, I would think you could make that substitution. But be aware that doing so will push the net carb count up. Don't think the sub would require any changes, but you'd want to recalculate the stats for your revised version. Jennifer's GF mix has around 6.2 NC per 1/3 cup; her LC mix only has 3.3 NC per 1/3 cup. Since I'm not gluten sensitive, I just naturally tend to use the lower carb mix more often.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
@Nikki, I think it would work if already baked and in the shape of your machine. I've never used a pannini machine. But basically they just "toast" the sandwich that uses already cooked bread, right? I wouldn't try to "cook" the bread from batter stage in it, however.
It will already be cooked, I plan to bake it ahead of time and bring it with me. Yay! I can have pannini sandwiches! I am elated to be in pre-maintenance and to be able to add more fun things to my diet -- and thus not feel deprived. Especially during the Holidays.

Last edited by nikki; 11-30-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
subbing
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Is there a specific Vanilla Whey Protein people are using for Jen Eloff's Low Carb Bake Mix? I'm putting my netrition order together but have no idea which one to order.

Oh and is Gluten Flour the same as Vital Wheat Gluten? That was the only thing I could find on Netrition

Last edited by Divabunny; 11-30-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use plain whey protein in her mix. For dessert applications I prefer to add my own vanilla. The plain variety lowers the carb count a tad, too.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I use plain whey protein in her mix. For dessert applications I prefer to add my own vanilla. The plain variety lowers the carb count a tad, too.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know about the Gluten Flour? is it the same as Vital Wheat Gluten?I think It's 3 Carbs per 1/4 cup - does that sound right?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This excerpt from a Google search that led me to LowCarbLuxury's website article that gives you some info:

Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour Vital Wheat Gluten Flour:
Also called "gluten flour", "instant gluten flour", "pure gluten flour", and "vital wheat gluten" depending on vendor and manufacturer. This is flour with the starch and bran removed. Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm which, when combined with water, forms a taffy-like dough. This retains the gas and steam from baking.

Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten flour — and any other brand of vital wheat gluten flour (such as Hodgson Mill) that carries the same Nutrition Facts as those at right — is 75 to 80% protein.

Nutrition Facts This yields approximately 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup (6 g per 1/4 cup. no fiber). The process of keeping mostly the protein constituents of the wheat and very little of the starch makes this product a useful aid in low-carbohydrate baking and cooking (a necessary component of the wonderful Gabi's Bread Recipe here at the site.)

The protein binds moisture meaning your bread and baked goods will usually be more moist and "fresh" than traditional baking yields as well. This should never be confused with other gluten flours as mentioned below which can have significantly more carbohydrate.

Please check your labels! Vital Wheat Gluten Flour is usually available in the health food section or baking section of your grocery, or at some health food stores. If you're unable to locate it, you can order directly from the manufacturer at Bob's Red Mill. (Do a search for "gluten.")

Last edited by buttoni; 12-01-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This excerpt from a Google search that led me to LowCarbLuxury's website article that gives you some info:
Awesome, Thank You!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My pizza crust recipe uses a small amount of Carbquick and a bit of Jennifer Eloff's LC Bake mix. It's the best pizza crust I've tasted to date that consistently that comes out well for me (at least the 3-4 times I've made it so far) and the ONLY one my husband has liked when warmed up on day 2. This one WOWed us..
Peggy, I tried this today and it was AMAZING! It looks, smells, tastes, and feels like real pizza dough. The whole house has a scrumptious bread-y smell it hasn't had in ages and I just ate the first slice of pizza I've had in six months!

Thank you so very much for this recipe. I am going to make a few crusts of this and bring them to the panini party on Tuesday. Yay! I can participate in the festivities and still stay on plan! You totally rocked my world today.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad you liked it, Nikki! I really liked the texture and taste on this one, too. I've been out of town and have to turn around tomorrow and go back to Sn Antonio for another week. Glad I popped on-line for a few minutes and saw your post. This is the crust we like best now, unless I'm being extra good and just doing my crustless Quick Skillet Pizza.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I made my crusts for tomorrow's panini party; one regular and one with basil and oregano in it. It looks and smells just like focaccia bread. I am sure it will taste divine!

Edit to add: I left two slices of pizza in the fridge overnight and they tasted great and stayed firm (not soggy) in a ziplock bag.

I also froze two slices; I will let you know how they thaw and how well they reheat. I am going to microwave one and warm the other one up in the toaster oven. It's an experiment! Because there is NO WAY I can eat that much pizza all at once, I hope to be able to freeze it.

Last edited by nikki; 12-12-2011 at 08:06 PM..