Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sen2two
WOE: Ketogenic
flax seeds to flax meal

I have been experimenting with flax meal bread recipes and they have been getting better. But one major flaw is a slight fishy taste. I have read that this can be a side effect of low quality flax meal. I was using pretty cheap stuff I found at walmart.

I purchased a few bags of bobs red mill organic flax seeds. I'm hoping this will remedy my problem

Three questions I have:

1. How does one go about chopping the seeds into a meal? I have a food processor, although its not the best. I have made my own nut butters with it. but I am unsure on when the seeds are ground enough to bake with?

2. Is there a difference between golden and regular flax meal?

3. How much seeds would I have to blend to equal one cup of meal?
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Flax meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
1. How does one go about chopping the seeds into a meal? I have a food processor, although its not the best. I have made my own nut butters with it. but I am unsure on when the seeds are ground enough to bake with?

2. Is there a difference between golden and regular flax meal?

3. How much seeds would I have to blend to equal one cup of meal?
I would use my coffee grinder I keep just to use for spices/etc. Not sure how much you would use to equal 1 cup...but I can tell you... we noticed a GREAT BIG difference in the golden flax and the regular. I never ever buy the regular anymore. I buy mine already ground at Ingels...Bob's Red Mill brand.
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
I would use my coffee grinder I keep just to use for spices/etc. Not sure how much you would use to equal 1 cup...but I can tell you... we noticed a GREAT BIG difference in the golden flax and the regular. I never ever buy the regular anymore. I buy mine already ground at Ingels...Bob's Red Mill brand.
I also use a coffee grinder, but be sure the packaging says it's also good for seeds, spices etc. I had one that did not work - the blades were too high off the floor of the grinder.

Last edited by jlatislaw; 11-15-2011 at 05:48 PM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesmith View Post
What was the difference between the golden and regular? Flavor, texture, ect.?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Golden and regular flax are the same nutritionally. Some people feel that the golden flax has a milder flavor, and it looks more like regular flours in dessert. I buy golden flax seeds and grind them up in my Vitamix. Usually flax seeds almost double when ground. I would do 9-10 TBS of seeds to make a cup. But you can grind it and measure it afterwards to be sure.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Also I have read that flax goes bad real fast. I make this bread Sunday night for my breaks at work and would like it to last through the work week, Mon- Fri.

I keep it in tupperware in the fridge. Can flax last 5 days without going rancid and ruining the flavor?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, ground flax will last several months in the fridge. At least, mine does. Certainly you can count on 2-3 months. I am a snowbird, so I leave some ingredients in the fridge 6 months. So far, no problems.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

What about after its baked into the bread? Does that make it go bad any faster?

6 months is a very long time. I had the impression a few days after baked it will be bad.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, baking doesn't make it go bad faster.