Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Artisan Hamburger Buns (Improved Recipe) - photo incl.

ARTISAN HAMBURGER BUNS (IMPROVED)

Great for hamburgers, tuna burgers or anything you would normally put on a bun. This is a substantial bun and very bread-like. Slice into 3, if desired. Great toasted like that, i.e. the thinner slices. I particularly like these fresh, however refrigerate them and nuke them briefly to enjoy again. They freeze well. This is a fail-safe recipe - very easy if you have the muffin top pans!

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (625 mL)
page___
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 2 nonstick muffin top pans (with 6 large forms each). In food processor with sharp blade or in large bowl with mixer, process cream cheese. Add eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract; process well on low speed. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, baking powder and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture and process until thickened. Add cheese and process until incorporated. Place 2 level ice cream scoopfuls in each form (use a spoon to scoop out the dough). Using a frosting knife, smooth the surfaces and shape the buns.

Bake buns in oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and refrigerate; keep a few out as their texture changes in the refrigerator. Nuke refrigerated buns briefly or toast them to enjoy again.

Helpful Hints: If you do not have muffin top pans, line a large cookie sheet with foil and grease well. Drop the dough onto the foil.

Yield: 12 buns
1 bun
322.2 calories
14.6 g protein
26.0 g fat
6.3 g carbs

Find the Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix in the Gluten-Free Room on LCF's.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gluten-Free Bake Mix

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

Since my husband is merely intolerant of gluten, we use oat flour by Arrowhead Mills (contamination with gluten is apparently minimal). Bob’s Red Mill makes certified gluten-free oat flour. Netrition.com sells it. See my blog for updates on this recipe. This recipe is in the cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends.

1 2/3 cups almond flour, OR (400 mL)
(I use almond meal, i.e. ground sliced
almonds versus almond flour)
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour, OR (175 ml)
regular oat flour (if you don't mind possible slight contamination with wheat)
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, (30 mL)
(Bob’s Red Mill®)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, OR almond meal, oat flour (if you are not able to have gluten-free oat flour then substitute another gluten-free flour), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup (250 mL) or more than 1 cup (250 mL) flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp (30 mL) more if substituting for less than 1 cup (250 mL). Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, cakes, coffeecakes and loaves (except for cookies most times as it can change the texture) and withholding about half the liquid/wet/fat ingredients and adding in as necessary. If the batter after processing at least a minute is still very thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience is helpful. Coconut flour needs eggs.

This bake mix is great in muffins, loaves, cookies, donuts, coffeecakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties and it binds ingredients together preventing crumbly outcomes. Cookies: bake a couple and see how they turn out before adding another egg.

My Alternate Bake Mixes (not gluten-free): When substituting the Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix for some of my other bake mixes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more bake mix may be required depending on if one is replacing less than 1 cup (250 mL) or 1 cup (250 mL) or more (last 2, latter amount). Follow the same rules above. It is convenient to double or triple this bake mix.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving
125.7 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g carbs__________________
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Oh, Jen, those look really good!

I have your new cookbook ordered. I can't wait to get it!!!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
O Jen I can't wait to try these. They look wonderful. Thank You.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Just beautiful, Jennifer. I have so many bread recipes I want to try. Thanks for sharing here.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Those look FANTASTIC! Can't wait to take one on my next Wendy's run - a Hot 'n Juicy Double Cheeseburger on one of those buns would be heavenly!

THANK YOU JEN!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
Thanks for posting the "new and improved" version. Next batch I will try it and see if I can get the proportions right LOL
I need to find a place to buy 10 lb blocks of cream cheese the way I have been using it lately!
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Yes, please! Can't wait to make them!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
WONDERFUL Jennifer!! I am going to make these for thanksgiving! Can't wait to get the cookbook!!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi - our internet has been almost non-existent for a few days. Probably won't be fixed until tomorrow or the next day.

Quickly getting in here... Thanks, Pam! I hope you, Peggy and Rosethorns enjoy this recipe - and you too Cathie, Christina and Eyedoc! I want to see if I can make hotdog shapes. I'll probably try that tomorrow or the next day.

Ooh Char, that is a wonderful idea!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
ksm
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ksm
bump
ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
These buns look great. Will have to try them soon !
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jen - did you ever make the hot dog rolls?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 69
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
Thanks, Jennifer! These look spectacular! I am going to have to make some on the weekend coming up. I think I finally have all of the ingredients!

Last edited by whipper75229; 12-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: silly typos...
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No Tweaker, I forgot. I have hamburger buns in the fridge again. I don't see why we can't shape them like hot dog buns.

Hope you find the recipe useful Whipper and TxHomegirl.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jen - I made your Artisan Sesame buns out of the new cookbook, I used Kevin's Carbalose flour mix only. I cut the recipe down for my initial go at it and made 6 buns. They are wonderful! They are as good as or better than any bun I've made to date, texture is soft with a crispy crust. I've had a tuna sandwich and a toasted bun that I then melted Swiss cheese on and added a couple of thinly sliced pieces of ham - yummy! I think I'll be making more real soon and will make a full recipe next time.

I posted this is another thread but copied to post again here.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Can't wait to try these!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, EXCELLENT, Tweaker. You really are a tweaker.

Hope you like them LadyN.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot

I made these today exactly as written, but cut the recipe in half. Made six really nice buns. Since they are so hearty, I cut one into three slices.

I thought the texture was somewhere between bread and cornbread with a soft center and crunchy crust. Had one slice with jam and another with a little tuna salad piled on top. Thanks, Jen!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Wow, diana, that looks sooo good!

I would love to try this recipe but I would have to use an electric mixer because I don't have a food processor.

Has anyone else tried it with an electric mixer by any chance?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Jen, do you now use this recipe rather than the one in the book (adding sesame seeds if desired)? I notice it is almost the same recipe, but no almond flour in this one, and enough more GF flour to make the difference. So do you now drop the almond flour in that recipe? I'm assuming since this says new & improved (and you posted after the book was printed) that this is new since the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Jen - I made your Artisan Sesame buns out of the new cookbook, I used Kevin's Carbalose flour mix only. I cut the recipe down for my initial go at it and made 6 buns. They are wonderful! They are as good as or better than any bun I've made to date, texture is soft with a crispy crust. I've had a tuna sandwich and a toasted bun that I then melted Swiss cheese on and added a couple of thinly sliced pieces of ham - yummy! I think I'll be making more real soon and will make a full recipe next time.

I posted this is another thread but copied to post again here.
Tweaker, did you use 2 1/2 cup Kevin's and no almond flour?
I may very well try it this way one of these days, but think for now, I'll try Jen's recipe & try to stay away from wheat flour for a bit. I'm not sure but I'm beginning to think the wheat may be a problem for me. Hadn't thought so, but now wondering.

Thank you both in advance!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Kroger has 10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie in UT View Post
Thanks for posting the "new and improved" version. Next batch I will try it and see if I can get the proportions right LOL
I need to find a place to buy 10 lb blocks of cream cheese the way I have been using it lately!
I was at Kroger today and they had their brand cream cheese (which is good) 10 for $10. That's the cheapest I've found it in ages. Everything is getting soooo high to buy. I cringe every time I go to the store.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Dreamchaser I use a mixer but it is a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, so it's nice and heavy duty. It works up just fine.
Last ones I made I still have trouble with the portions right for 12 buns LOL
I ended up reducing the temp about 15 degrees and baking them about 8 min longer and I got the crispy outside I have been aiming for! LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yummy, Diana! That looks amazing!

Billie, I like the new and improved version of the buns (because they rise more, I believe), but either way they work. Yes, I worked on the new recipe after the book was done. If you compare this recipe and the one in the book, you'll see I just skipped the almond flour and increased the GF bake mix by the same amount to compensate.

Cathie - you laugh - I did have a little fridge full of about 10 blocks of cream cheese this last year. Now I'm down to 3/4 of a block. We found it at a good deal and just bought a whole lot at the equivalent of Costco (PriceSmart) over here. Linda, that was a very good deal you got.

Cathie, can you remember the temperature of your oven. Did you also use the egg white wash or not? Thanks. Sounds like you got a crispier crust. Trouble is it would only be like that for a little while for us due to our humid climate.

I use ice cream scoops (I don't think I make the scoops that level - I need to check that to make sure) for the buns and easily manage to figure it out, although I always end up with a bit more dough leftover and then I just give a little more to the smaller ones. Then when all 12 partitions in the muffin top pan are filled - that is when I shape the buns a bit with a frosting knife.

Funny, Dreamchaser, people either have a food processor or a stand mixer that they prefer. You can almost always use the stand mixer when I suggest a food processor.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I don't have a stand mixer. I have a hand mixer.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jen! That's what I thought.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Jen, question on the buns.

Hey Jen, when you put the batter in the muffin top pan, do you spread it out to the sides or just drop it in the middle of the cup and leave it?
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

They're in the oven now. I had to tweak a little, and improvise on the pans. I also did not put the egg wash glaze on them. (I forgot on the first batch in the oven, and just didn't bother on the other one.)
I didn't have Monterey Jack cheese, but I had Cheddar/Jack, so that is what I used. I use that in a lot of recipes, that call for other cheeses, including Parmesan, which I never use.
The first batch is beeping now. Gotta go take a look.
I'm back for a couple of minutes while the buns (both batches) cool, & my burgers cook. They look pretty. Not sure if I can cut these into thirds. Don't think I'm that good. But I have one sliced in half to make a burger for my late lunch/dinner.
I'll post pics in a few.

I'm back with pics! Here ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC150649.jpg (45.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PC150650.jpg (67.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PC150651.jpg (57.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: To add pics
Old 12-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Well done Billie. They look like mine mostly. After I scoop the dough to the pan I use a piece of plastic wrap to level them off and help them fit into the wells of the pan better.
Jen I think I am filling the scoop too much or too little. I will get it eventually. I only have one muffing top pan so I have to estimate when the dough is about half used up. Maybe I can ask for one more pan from Santa?
No I don't use the egg wash and the temp in my oven is about 335 and the pan is the dark non stick. I liked the crust and it didn't go soft as fast this time. DH liked the bigger buns too. I haven't tried making the "bread" as opposed to buns yet but maybe I will try it next?
I got 8- 1/2 pounds of Neufchatel today to lighten them up in calories for DH and about 4 1/2 lbs of regular in the fridge.

Found out that sizes aren't all equal working on my other 16's NOW Zipped and buttoned with much less muffin top and I can wear them in public

Last edited by Cathie in UT; 12-15-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie in UT View Post
Well done Billie. They look like mine mostly. After I scoop the dough to the pan I use a piece of plastic wrap to level them off and help them fit into the wells of the pan better.
Jen I think I am filling the scoop too much or too little. I will get it eventually. I only have one muffing top pan so I have to estimate when the dough is about half used up. Maybe I can ask for one more pan from Santa?
No I don't use the egg wash and the temp in my oven is about 335 and the pan is the dark non stick. I liked the crust and it didn't go soft as fast this time. DH liked the bigger buns too. I haven't tried making the "bread" as opposed to buns yet but maybe I will try it next?
I got 8- 1/2 pounds of Neufchatel today to lighten them up in calories for DH and about 4 1/2 lbs of regular in the fridge.
I had used a silicon spatula (small) to scrape the bowl and beaters. I used that to start smoothing the dough to the middles, but I ended up using my fingers. I kept a small dish of water there, and would dip my fingers in it to make it smooth easier & keep it from sticking to my fingers so much. I have a set of kitchen scales, and decided (after trying to use a scoop to measure my dough, and wasn't working too well for me) to weigh the little pans & zero out the scales, then measure the dough as I put it in. I had some already scooped up. I took out from some, and added to others. I think w/pan, it was between 98 & 100 grams. They still aren't all exactly the same amount, but close. Closer than I was getting with the scoop. Half my buns were made in little mini cake pans, and the other half in saved cooked chicken cans. I have little parchment circles cut out to fit the bottoms to help them come out easier.

"Bread"..... Can you make this into a loaf of bread rather than the buns? If it will work that way, I'd rather do that than have the buns!!! Much less work, and I'd usually rather have slices! Or were you just meaning you haven't tried the "mix" for bread yet Cathie?

I made that cranberry jam (SF/LC) the other day. Now I have something to eat it on.