Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Billie,

This same recipe is used for the "sandwich bread". The dough is spread out in a 11" x 17" rimmed baking sheet. After baked, cut into 15 pieces (5 x 3). Each piece is firm enough to then split horizontally, even tho' they appear too thin. I've been enjoying tuna salad sandwiches again.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Different Recipe for Jen's Sandwich Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex57 View Post
Billie,

This same recipe is used for the "sandwich bread". The dough is spread out in a 11" x 17" rimmed baking sheet. After baked, cut into 15 pieces (5 x 3). Each piece is firm enough to then split horizontally, even tho' they appear too thin. I've been enjoying tuna salad sandwiches again.
The rolls are different than the sandwich bread. They have olive oil in them, no almond flour, and no parmesan cheese. So they are not quite the same. I think Jen said she liked the rolls better than the sandwich bread. I've got to try these soon.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Thanks alex57 & Linda.
I looked in the book, and Jen's sandwich bread she has in the book, is basically the same recipe as the rolls, just spread out like Alex said. She left out the Parm cheese, and added the olive oil in the recipe in the book, so it is basically the same recipe as the rolls now.

I may have to try that one of these days. But I don't plan on eating all these buns very soon. But next time I'll try the sandwich bread. It was 1 page in front of the rolls!

Thanks!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-16-2011 at 12:01 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Billie, your buns turned out lovely. Well done!

You can slice the buns real thin and put each piece in the toaster. Lovely with cream cheese and sugarless jam. Yum! Next time you can try the sandwich bread.

I don't know in hindsight if I should have left out the Parmesan cheese in the bread and buns. To leave it out reduces sodium, but I do like salty and sweet together, so if using it for the above suggestion it might even be tastier with 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese in the recipe. I think in the end I chose a more neutral taste on account of the fact that bread is very neutral in taste. However, this is more like an Artisan-type bread.

Great idea weighing your dough, Billie.

Yep, Cathie - I have 2 muffin top pans so that makes it super-easy to measure out the amount of dough per bun.

Linda - I drop it in the middle and then spread it out to the sides with a knife. You can keep it just inside of the forms or let it touch - either way.

Dreamchaser, I hope you can get a food processor or food stand mixer sometime as they are more heavy-duty than a hand-held mixer (if you try it make sure you soften your cream cheese in the microwave oven or leave it out overnight). I only use my food processor and at the time I think I got it at Walmart in Canada at a real steal of a deal, so my husband bought 3 for me. He is like that when he sees a good deal. Trouble is mine is very underpowered compared to the newer ones, but I've yet to "kill" any of these. The writing rubbed off of the machine in no time flat so I have to just guess what speed to use. It is a Braun. I think my food stand mixer is even more of a dinosaur so I don't bother with it. I used it for some of my breads in Splendid Low-Carbing, but since then I've hardly touched it. It sits in my pantry unused.

Diana - I saw that and "WOW" came to mind! You must be a good cook.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Cathie - I will be using your tips for crispy buns next time I make them. Clever of you! Where there is a will, there is a way!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
OK DH was a doll and let me by another muffin top pan and use it before Christmas LOL
I made new buns and they are just the right size this time. I think I over baked this time to get them crispi-er added a few more minutes so I will back off on the next batch to about 35 minutes.
Good news for me...I had DH call the Honeyville company to see if the Almond Flour comes in larger bags and found that they sell a 25 lb bag for about $120 but you have to pick it up or get a store to order it for you. Luckily they are located in Utah where I live and after the New Year I am planning on getting a big old bag. I will save about $70 plus tax of course.

Found out that sizes aren't all equal working on my other 16's NOW Zipped and buttoned with much less muffin top and I can wear them in public
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Difference in Bread and Rolls

I just checked my cookbook and noticed that there is a difference in the amounts of the GF bake mix and also the almond flour between the bread recipe and the roll recipe. So they are not quite the same. When I was checking the differences the first time, I compared her blog sandwich recipe to the roll recipe Jen posted in this thread and evidently she had not changed her bread recipe on the blog yet. Anyway, in the bread recipe there are two cups GF bake mix and 1/2 cup almond flour and in the bun recipe she has 2-1/4 cups GF bake mix and 1/4 cup almond flour.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Oops sorry my math was off I only save about $60 for the 25lb bag vs the 5x 5 lb bags of almond flour
Old 12-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing and wishing I had them already made!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
I just checked my cookbook and noticed that there is a difference in the amounts of the GF bake mix and also the almond flour between the bread recipe and the roll recipe. So they are not quite the same. When I was checking the differences the first time, I compared her blog sandwich recipe to the roll recipe Jen posted in this thread and evidently she had not changed her bread recipe on the blog yet. Anyway, in the bread recipe there are two cups GF bake mix and 1/2 cup almond flour and in the bun recipe she has 2-1/4 cups GF bake mix and 1/4 cup almond flour.
There is a very slight difference in the "flours" in the recipes. It depends on which versions (old/new, book/blog) you look at as to how much of a difference. Personally when I make it, I'm going to use Jen's new improved version of the bun recipe to make the sandwich bread. It's that close to the same. On her blog, they both have Parm cheese in the original recipes. I won't use that! I always leave that out (or sub with something else)! That is one of the things that I for the life of me can't figure out how anyone can eat it (especially on purpose), tho I know many people love it.
I have a lot of buns to eat up before I make the sandwich bread tho! Won't be very soon.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Grilled Cheese using the buns

I have found that these buns make fine grilled cheese sammies.
I tried uploading a pic but my computer and Low Carb Friends aren't getting along right now.
I will put a pic on my blog if anyone wants to see how they turned out

creativedayswithcathie.blogspot.com
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

I've been thinking about making those too, but haven't yet. I will in the next day or 2 I think!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yummy, Cathie - that grilled cheese sammie looks very good indeed. WOW! You are so good with quilting and crafty things. Neat! Your little grandson is adorable. I will spend some time on your blog later. I need to get to bed; very late here.

LOL Billie - for your sake - glad I left out the Parmesan cheese.

Hope you like them, Tilly.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
LOL Billie - for your sake - glad I left out the Parmesan cheese.
I appreciate it Jen!!
But I'd a left it out anyway. But it sure is good ta know that I didn't have to replace it with something else.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie in UT View Post
I have found that these buns make fine grilled cheese sammies.
I tried uploading a pic but my computer and Low Carb Friends aren't getting along right now.
I will put a pic on my blog if anyone wants to see how they turned out

creativedayswithcathie.blogspot.com
Went to your blog and enjoyed the visual of the bread. But of course got caught up on all your comments and pictures. Lovely tree, and the little guy and cat are adorable!!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

OK, blushing here! LOL
Thanks for all the kind words. I have been a lazy blogger this year so there isn't much to see but I try and keep my family up to date on what I am doing.
I was right about the buns being over baked for the last batch but they did make lovely sammies LOL I am heading off to a condo for a few days so no more baking but when I get back I am sure I will be out of buns and ready to go again.
Billie I guess you figured out I was meaning making the "bread" in a jelly roll pan so that they are more like slices.
Linda for me the little tweaks to make the dough slightly different but the best is the new improved bun version and I might add back the parm cheese for flavor.
Oh yeah I did have about 1/3 of a bun leftover from supper last night and schmeared on some leftover cream cheese frosting and shook a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg for a "sort of sweet roll". Quite tasty
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
[QUOTE=crazywoman-n-wy;15248854]..

Tweaker, did you use 2 1/2 cup Kevin's and no almond flour?
I may very well try it this way one of these days, but think for now, I'll try Jen's recipe & try to stay away from wheat flour for a bit. I'm not sure but I'm beginning to think the wheat may be a problem for me. Hadn't thought so, but now wondering.

Billie - First off - I missed your post and I apologize for not responding to this earlier -- I see you've made the buns now and they look just like mine! Yes, I did just use Kevin's Carbalose flour blend, no almond flour. I really like these buns, I'm making more today! Again, sorry I missed your question, I'm sporadic with checking in.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 69
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
Marking my spot
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

[quote=Tweaker Geek;15365994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post

Tweaker, did you use 2 1/2 cup Kevin's and no almond flour?
I may very well try it this way one of these days, but think for now, I'll try Jen's recipe & try to stay away from wheat flour for a bit. I'm not sure but I'm beginning to think the wheat may be a problem for me. Hadn't thought so, but now wondering.

Billie - First off - I missed your post and I apologize for not responding to this earlier -- I see you've made the buns now and they look just like mine! Yes, I did just use Kevin's Carbalose flour blend, no almond flour. I really like these buns, I'm making more today! Again, sorry I missed your question, I'm sporadic with checking in.
I understand! I miss a LOT of posts! But thanks for answering now!
I'm about to make more (and since I just got 2 muffin top pans in yesterday, I think I'll make buns this time), but not sure which recipe I'm gonna use yet.
I had to throw several slices of my last bread out yesterday. Even in the fridge they had molded! I have a lot of problem with mold in my house. Which is rare for this area, since it is SO dry here. We think maybe it is due to a moss rock wall we have in the living room. Tho it is pretty, we think it causes that, as well as allergy problems for us, so keep talking about trying to kill it all off. Haven't done it yet tho. And it MAY not be the culprit.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that's awful, Billie. Maybe freeze the slices between pieces of wax paper in twosies and take them out as necessary. Maybe your fridge is not cold enough? The sandwich bread should last 2 weeks in the fridge in an airtight tupperware container.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Wow, that's awful, Billie. Maybe freeze the slices between pieces of wax paper in twosies and take them out as necessary. Maybe your fridge is not cold enough? The sandwich bread should last 2 weeks in the fridge in an airtight tupperware container.
Happens to me with a lot of things Jen. And actually my fridge is VERY cold. I have some meat in it that is partially frozen (wasn't when I put it in. It is in the meat tray, which in this fridge is colder tho.). Also it was in a lock top container! But I've probably left it out for a while a few times. I'm bad at that sometimes.
And, like I said, things mold pretty bad, and pretty quick in my kitchen, I have forgotten just when I had made it. Right now I'm the only one eating it, so unless I let it mold, I have it quite some time. I probably should put some of it in the freezer, but I rarely do.
Thanks for the tips tho Jen!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome, Billie.