Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Best bake mix

I have never used the commercial bake mixes, and would like some input as to which is better, Carbquik or Atkins bake mix.

Thanks
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I like Carbquik but, on the other hand, I have to stay away from soy so Atkins is out.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Look at all your options.
Soy - taste
Carbquik- wheat product
Jennifer's bake mixes she has many kinds. Gluten free , ultimate bake mix, and others.
almond flour- good
Atkins is soy

I like Jen's gluten free works for me.
Check and see if you like the taste of soy. there is a faux atkins mix on here.
Walmart carries soy flour for cheap.

Last edited by rosethorns; 11-13-2011 at 01:08 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
It really does boil down to your own personal preferences.

Carbquick makes me want to 'hurl'. There is an aftertaste that I just can NOT get over.
Atkins is just vile...gotta be the soy.
Jennifer's bake mix recipes have saved my LC butt in baking. No strange ingredients, no weird aftertaste and you can mix up a batch for as much or as little as you need.

I have been using her bake mixes since the mid-2000's and have just recently switched to her new gluten-free mix. It's F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! And if you're an experienced baker, you can sub Jen's mix for regular flour in your favorite recipes with just a few adjustments in the ingredients.

Personally, I would NEVER recommend a pre-made bake mix to anyone just beginning their LC journey.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I want to make Jennifer's new Gluten Free Bake mix, but I am having trouble finding Gluten Free Oat Flour. It's on back order with Netrition. Need help finding that!
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeDoc View Post
I want to make Jennifer's new Gluten Free Bake mix, but I am having trouble finding Gluten Free Oat Flour. It's on back order with Netrition. Need help finding that!
Hmmm...well that's interesting. If you run a search, you should be able to find it online. Regardless of where you buy it, I would highly recommend Bob's Red Mill GF Oat Flour. If you don't have a diagnosed wheat-related illness or sensitivity, their regular oat flour is wonderful as well.

Here is a link to Jennifer's blog so you can see all the great things you can do with her bake mix.

http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/20...-splendid.html

Last edited by RVcook; 11-14-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Hmmm...well that's interesting. If you run a search, you should be able to find it online. Regardless of where you buy it, I would highly recommend Bob's Red Mill GF Oat Flour. If you don't have a diagnosed wheat-related illness or sensitivity, their regular oat flour is wonderful as well.

Here is a link to Jennifer's blog so you can see all the great things you can do with her bake mix.

SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: I'm Very Excited to Unveil My Splendid Gluten-Free and Low-Carb Bake Mix At Last!
I do prefer to buy locally if I can, but will buy online if I have to. I also just don't want to have pay shipping charges for one item. I do not have a gluten sensitivity, so if regular oat flour is the same as gluten free (in how it performs in the mix) then I'd be willing to try it. (I'm baking "challenged"). I am new to this WOE and don't want to waste time and money on ingredients that may not work. I'd love it if someone would just produce this mix! I'd buy it!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do prefer to buy locally if I can, but will buy online if I have to. I also just don't want to have pay shipping charges for one item. I do not have a gluten sensitivity, so if regular oat flour is the same as gluten free (in how it performs in the mix) then I'd be willing to try it. (I'm baking "challenged"). I am new to this WOE and don't want to waste time and money on ingredients that may not work. I'd love it if someone would just produce this mix! I'd buy it!
I learned the "hard" way; embracing all sorts of 'strange' ingredients to make a single recipe which tasted awful and then had all these open boxes of ingredients that I pushed around in the cupboard until I FINALLY tossed them.

Regular oat flour will bake EXACTLY like gluten free oat flour and is usually cheaper. I used it for years in Jen's Ultimate Bake Mix and if I were not medically gluten free, I would return to that Bake Mix in a nanosecond! Do not worry too much about being non-experienced - that experience with LC cooking will come in time. Baking with Jen's mix will be a breeze compared to finding out how to use different types of LC sweeteners correctly...ughh!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thank you, Donna.

I just use regular oat flour that I find at the grocery store. There might be slight contamination from wheat products processed in the same facility - but it will only be slight and for those of us with a mere intolerance of wheat, it's not so terrible.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Great! Thank you for doing all the experimentation for us Newbies. Substitutions scare me since some of the recipes seem so "touchy".
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great! Thank you for doing all the experimentation for us Newbies. Substitutions scare me since some of the recipes seem so "touchy".
The best way to learn is to read as much as you can using the search function for specific topics and, post your unanswered questions. There are many long-time LCers here with a vast amount of experience ready to help the newbies get on board.

PM me if you need more help.

Last edited by RVcook; 11-15-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I personally love Carbquick and it's all I have ever used. I use it just as I would flour in recipes.

I did copy Jennifer's regular bake mix and I'm going to try to find the ingredients because I don't want to order Carbquick as I just ordered a new bake mix from LC Foods. The only thing I'm not sure about is Vital Wheat Gluten.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I personally love Carbquick and it's all I have ever used. I use it just as I would flour in recipes.

I did copy Jennifer's regular bake mix and I'm going to try to find the ingredients because I don't want to order Carbquick as I just ordered a new bake mix from LC Foods. The only thing I'm not sure about is Vital Wheat Gluten.
VWG can be purchased at most larger grocery stores. When I used it in Jen's recipe for her Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, I purchased Bob's Red Mill brand. It is the protein that naturally exists in wheat flour. The VWG is responsible for the "stretch" and cohesion that makes bread, well...bread! The gluten free version of her bake mix includes Xanthan gum which mimics the properties of VWG but cannot replace it in equal quantities.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristi030
Stats: 5'4 140:Goal 125-120
WOE: VLC<Protein Power
Start Date: Restart June 2011
I use a combo of soy flour and oat fiber for my muffins...this mix works well for cookies,cakes and brownies too..the soy is vanilla flavored, I need to find something i guess "blander" so I can try an attempt plain breads...ohhhhhhhhhh and maybe soft pretzels!!
Kristi030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
The only thing I'm not sure about is Vital Wheat Gluten.

I saw VWG on the shelf at my local Sendik's Fine Foods -- right on the same shelf as the Oat Flour!! I am on my way home to mix up some of Jennifer's Baking Mix. I can't wait!!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Melloshello
I prefer Carbquik and Almond Flour over anything. The Atkins mix is just nasty!
Melloshello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I saw VWG on the shelf at my local Sendik's Fine Foods -- right on the same shelf as the Oat Flour!! I am on my way home to mix up some of Jennifer's Baking Mix. I can't wait!!
I LOVE Sendiks! Glad you found what you needed. It would be great if you posted how it worked for you so that other newbies realize that armed with the right ingredients, anyone can bake delicious, LC treats.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melloshello View Post
I prefer Carbquik and Almond Flour over anything. The Atkins mix is just nasty!
Melloshello, looks like you are new on here, !!!!! And your stats are amazing!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Melloshello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Melloshello, looks like you are new on here, !!!!! And your stats are amazing!!!!
Thank you! I am a returning newbie. I was actually on here several years back but have NO idea what my login info was. Glad to be back!
Melloshello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Wonderful, nice to meet you!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
MsWoods, Vital Wheat Gluten is available in my Walmart in the flour area. Health food stores will likely carry it as well.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Thank you very much Buttoni. I'll check Walmart first.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
I appreciate all the replies, I have used almond flour for a few years and just tried coconut flour for the first time(without success), but kinda wanted something more "flour" like.

I will have to look into Jennifer's blends, from all the response, Carbquik and Atkins do not sound to promising
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thank you, Goheels. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here or on my blog or via my email in my profile on my blog and I will try to be of assistance to you.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Just a note, for all of you who use the Vital Wheat Gluten, and order products thru Netrition, Wheat Protein Isolate 8000 (NOT 5000) works the same as Vital Wheat Gluten, but is higher in protein and has fewer carbs!! I now substitute that in recipes when it calls for VWG. I subbed the VWG in recipes for a long time, because I had a large supply of it, so used it up first. Tho in a bind, I may buy VWG locally to use, I will not order it again, unless (perish the thought) I can no longer find the WPI 8000.

Tho i love Jennifer's recipes, and I know her bake mixes are very good (I've read enough reviews from people her to now that), I personally use Kevinpa's last & final cake & flour mix. It has less carby ingredients, and I've been using it for a long time (since he developed it, and his other one before that). I know how it will work, and feel it has less carbs. But that's me. That being said, if I had a gluten intolerance, I'm sure I would start using her Gluten Free mix.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Just a note, for all of you who use the Vital Wheat Gluten, and order products thru Netrition, Wheat Protein Isolate 8000 (NOT 5000) works the same as Vital Wheat Gluten, but is higher in protein and has fewer carbs!! I now substitute that in recipes when it calls for VWG. I subbed the VWG in recipes for a long time, because I had a large supply of it, so used it up first. Tho in a bind, I may buy VWG locally to use, I will not order it again, unless (perish the thought) I can no longer find the WPI 8000.

Tho i love Jennifer's recipes, and I know her bake mixes are very good (I've read enough reviews from people her to now that), I personally use Kevinpa's last & final cake & flour mix. It has less carby ingredients, and I've been using it for a long time (since he developed it, and his other one before that). I know how it will work, and feel it has less carbs. But that's me. That being said, if I had a gluten intolerance, I'm sure I would start using her Gluten Free mix.

Billie, I can't find Kevinpa's final mix. Could you please post a link for me....Thanks
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Sure here it is: Kevins LC Cake or Cookie Flour mix #136 .

I do want to say tho, that I checked out Jennifer's SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™ which I had not really checked out well before. This is a different one than the one I had looked at before, and wasn't fond of the ingredients. It appears to be about the same carb count as Kevin's mix. Maybe a carb lower.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 11-18-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Thank you Crazy Woman for the tip on the WPI 8000. I have a huge bag of it with only a few tablespoons used. I was planning on buying vital wheat gluten to make Jennifer's mix and now you have saved me money and cabinet space.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Sure here it is: Kevins LC Cake or Cookie Flour mix #136 .

I do want to say tho, that I checked out Jennifer's SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX™ which I had not really checked out well before. This is a different one than the one I had looked at before, and wasn't fond of the ingredients. It appears to be about the same carb count as Kevin's mix. Maybe a carb lower.

Thanks Billie, I will check out Jennifers too.
maru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

TBipp & Wanda, you are both Most welcome!
When I first started making Kevinpa's breads, he called for the 8000, but I had LOTS of the VWG on hand (like 5+ big cans), and I had read either from him or someone else on that that they couple be interchanged. I would rather have used the 8000, but since I had so much of the VWG, I used it till I had pretty much used it up. I think I do still have 1 unopened can of it. But it has a very long shelf life when unopened (what I have does), so I've put it up for "emergencies some day", and started using the 8000 now.