Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Jen's Sandwich Bread

Made per her recipe and it came out perfect. All the ends that I cut off
will be Bread Fingers for dipping. It gets 15 perfect square sandwich
bread to be cut in half horizontally. Wonderful taste and texture. Thanks

Jen's Sandwich Bread

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___1/2 cup almond meal, OR almond flour (125 mL)
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (45 mL)
11/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large cookie sheet, 14.5 x 23 inches (37 x 58 cm), with foil and grease well.

In food processor, process cream cheese. Add eggs and vanilla extract; process well on low speed. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond meal, OR almond flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to cream cheese mixture and process until thickened. Add cheese and process until incorporated.

Drop batter in huge blobs on the foil. Take a large piece of plastic wrap and press out the batter to fill the cookie sheet evenly. Keep picking the plastic up and moving it around as needed to squish the batter. Once the whole cookie sheet is covered, use the back of a large spoon to make sure it is as even as possible. (If you wear glasses for reading, I recommend wearing them.) Bake approximately 25 minutes, or until browning on top. Allow to cool. Divide the bread into 5 (for the longer side) x 3 sections. The bread will be about the same size as a standard piece of bread from a store bought sandwich loaf. Slice each piece into 2 slices of the same size as the original piece (just thinner) with a large serrated bread knife; that makes 30 slices of bread at 2.2 g carbs each.

Yield: 30 slices
1 serving
127.6 calories
6.1 g protein
10.2 g fat
2.2 g carbs

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks for the heads up, Barbo. P.S. I've now taken to leaving the Parmesan cheese out of the bread - more neutral taste.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here you go - updated recipe:

SANDWICH BREAD (gluten-free)

Great for sandwiches (nuke refrigerated slices 12 seconds), but even more wonderful toasted in a regular toaster or on the barbecue. It has the characteristics of an English muffin where it has a more absorbent surface (cut side) for butter and peanut butter, low-sugar jam or a little honey and cheese. You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches (butter cut sides facing outside).

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___
1/2 cup almond meal, OR flour (125 mL)
11/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large cookie sheet with foil and grease well.
In food processor, process cream cheese. Add eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond meal, OR almond flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture; process until thickened. Add cheese; process.

Drop batter in huge blobs on the foil. Take a large piece of plastic wrap and press out the batter to fill the cookie sheet evenly. Keep picking the plastic up and moving it around as needed to squish the batter. Once the whole cookie sheet is covered, use the back of a large spoon to make sure it is as even as possible. (If you wear glasses for reading, I recommend wearing them.) Bake approximately 25 minutes, or until browning on top. Divide the bread into 5 (for the longer side) x 3 sections. The bread will be about the same size as a standard piece of bread. Slice each piece into 2 slices of the same size as the original piece (just thinner) with a large serrated bread knife.

Helpful Hints: For the barbecue, we butter the bread on the cut sides, place thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced onion and cheese on one unbuttered side and top with the other half, buttered side to the outside. Place above or on the grill, depending on your barbecue towards the end of the time it takes to barbecue the meat. Close lid and check on them frequently. Use a flat, metal lifter to turn very carefully, supporting the top with your hand, to do other side. Sometimes I add some roasted chicken (and bacon done on the grill) and mayonnaise and that makes a meal on its own. Place the slices of bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator; lasts 2 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Yield:
30 slices
1 serving
129.7 calories
5.9 g protein
10.6 g fat
2.2 g carbs
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oooh, I have some cream cheese to use up as my son just pointed out to me LOL and this will be perfect!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 11-30-2011 at 01:13 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
On my list to try- YUM!
KellBell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool. Some people say the bread needs to be more savory, so maybe leave a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese in the bread.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirtilla
Sorry, I'm italian and I can't understand what is "page" for in the phrase :

page___1/2 cup almond meal, OR almond flour (125 mL)

thanks a lot!!
Mirtilla
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
The recipe comes from a book that Jennifer wrote it for, so in the book, it would tell you which page to find the bake mix recipe. However, you can also find that on her blog.

I believe it's this
Splendid Gluten-free Bake Mix
- 1 plus two-thirds cups almond flour
- ¾ c. (gluten-free) oat flour
- 2 tbsp. sifted coconut flour
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Has anyone tried making this in a loaf pan? I wonder if there is a reason it is noted to make it on a flat baking sheet... maybe it wouldn't cook through as well? I might try it in a loaf pan and cover the top with foil so it doesn't cook as quickly. Maybe it will work....?
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, I really do not know Lc-chica for sure how that would turn out. I suspect it will be fine. You will have to bake it longer - cover with foil if it is browning too much on top. Then test later with a knife in center to see if it is baked through. If you find the loaf does not rise enough to make nice size slices of bread, then cut in in half so there are two pieces of loaf. Stand those pieces on their ends and slice as many slices as you can. They should be more the size of a regular loaf then. Just a thought. See Barbo's Onion Rye Bread thread for more instructions on how to cut such a loaf. Hope that helps.

It was originally my Focaccia bread recipe and I think I simply increased the ingredients. I forget now.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirtilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
The recipe comes from a book that Jennifer wrote it for, so in the book, it would tell you which page to find the bake mix recipe. However, you can also find that on her blog.

I believe it's this
Splendid Gluten-free Bake Mix
- 1 plus two-thirds cups almond flour
- ¾ c. (gluten-free) oat flour
- 2 tbsp. sifted coconut flour
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
thanks !!
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote