Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cream of Mushroom Soup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/743400-cream-mushroom-soup.html)

nekkidfish 10-28-2011 10:58 PM

Cream of Mushroom Soup

While Mom was here, we went to a local diner, and she ordered their cream of mushroom soup. It was soooooo creamy and delish! :love:

Of course, they don't share their recipes. They have a lady that makes all of their soups each morning. :notwrthy:

Anyhoo, does anyone have a good, real creamy rich recipe they'd like to share?

HUGz! Jules

Nigel 10-29-2011 08:55 AM

I found this one on here. I haven't made it, but I'm sure others have.

DOTTIE'S CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

8 small mushrooms, chopped, 3 ounces
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped, about 1 ounce
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper, to taste
Xanthan gum, optional*

In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Let liquid reduce by half, then stir in the cream. Bring back to a boil. Turn down heat a bit and cook until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Season to taste.

Makes about 1 cup

nekkidfish 10-29-2011 11:18 AM

Thanks NIgel.

HUGz! Jules

Barbo 10-29-2011 03:11 PM

Mushroom Soup
Tricia’s Recipe:

Large package baby ‘Bella mushrooms (CostCo)
24 oz.
1 large onion, chopped
Sauté in lots of butter
Add:
1-quart chicken broth
Cook on simmer for 15 –20 minutes
Immersion blender until smooth (I use Vita Mixer now)
Add:
1 tsp. salt or to taste
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Lemon juice (this is to cut the sweetness of onion/mushroom)
This is the thickest soup. I add cream to the VitaMixer until
it's just right. Taste for seasonings.

Variation:
Cream of soup just add some cream

nekkidfish 10-29-2011 03:18 PM

That one looks good too ... with lots of cream! ;)

HUGz! Jules

Tilly 10-29-2011 04:19 PM

These sound so good, especially this time of year, but does anyone have a carb count on both of them?

makrida 10-29-2011 04:23 PM

Market St Cafe in Celebration Florida do the best mushroom soup ever !

Soobee 10-30-2011 04:56 AM

Here are 3 more recipes I have in my files from Cleo, Linda Sue, and Birgit.
Cream of Mushroom Bacon Soup Cleo
4 cups heavy white cream
4 cups organic chicken broth
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
6 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped, cooked bacon
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
½ tsp. thyme
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic
Heat skillet with butter until bubbly. Add garlic to pan and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Remove from heat. Add all ingredients to a 6-quart crock pot. Cook for 4 to 6 hours on low until soup is slightly thicker and frothy. Make sure not to overcook or cook at too high a head or the cream will separate. Keep it low and not too slow.
Beefy Mushroom Soup Linda
2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
15 ounces canned pumpkin *
14 ounce can beef broth or 2 cups homemade beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry white wine or water
1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a 6-8 quart pot, brown the ground beef along with the onion, mushrooms and garlic; drain the fat. If using canned broth, add water to make 2 cups. Add the pumpkin to the ground beef mixture; blend well then add the broth and bouillon. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. Add the cream and wine or water; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning, if needed.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Birgit
2 tbs. of unsalted butter
1/4 cup of finely minced onion
1/4 cup of finely minced celery
1 (6.5 ounce) can of sliced mushrooms, drained, and finely minced
1 teaspoon of salt
1.5 - 2 tsp. of guar gum (made into a slurry with some stock
3 cups of chicken broth
1 cup half and half or heavy cream with water
Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion and celery over medium heat until tender but not browned. Stir in the chopped mushrooms and salt; cook and stir about 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and let it come to a boil. Slowly add the gum slurry/paste and whisk constantly until it thickens. Add the half and half and let it warm through. The recipe makes about a quart, or roughly enough to equal about 4 cans.

Tilly 10-30-2011 01:19 PM

Birgit, if you see this or anyone else? Do you think the condensed recipe can be frozen? That is a LOT of condensed cream of mushroom soup. I would love to be able to freeze it in 4 cup containers. thank you

whipper75229 10-30-2011 04:02 PM

Linda Sue has a few on her site:
Welcome to Genaw.com

nekkidfish 10-30-2011 05:51 PM

I'm soooo stoopid! I bought a ton of mushrooms today to make a big pot ... not thinking about it being a cream based soup that won't freeze well. :o

Now, can I freeze the extra mushrooms?

HUGz! Jules

buttoni 10-30-2011 06:11 PM

I have used Dottie's Mushroom Soup for Recipes version on Linda's site for some time and am quite fond of it. I've have actually had pretty good luck freezing it, too. The cream does separate during freezing, but it always smooths out for me when defrosted and reheated in recipes with meat and veggies. I wouldn't freeze it if I planned on eating it just as a soup, however.

Tilly 10-31-2011 02:10 AM

I wonder if it could be made without the heavy cream, freeze, then after thawing add it in? This is last thing added and it is only heated with the soup, not cooked in.

RVcook 10-31-2011 09:26 AM

Lightly cooked, sliced (or chopped) mushrooms can be frozen successfully. I buy them when on sale, clean, slice and saute until all the water is evaporated. Place them on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Bang off the cookie sheet, measure out desirable portions and package for long term storage (I use by foodsaver to seal in bags). They keep wonderfully this way!

Tilly: I definitely think that making the soup 'base' and adding the cream later would work. If Birgit's recipe makes about 4 cans, I would divide the base into 4 portions for the freezer and then just add 1/4 cup of cream or milk to the defrosted product.

rosethorns 10-31-2011 10:56 AM

I make everthing up to the cream. I then freeze it and add cream when I'm going to eat it.

I don't think Linda's Beefy mushroom gets enough Yahoo time. I make her soup a lot and freeze it. It's the best Beefy Mushroom I've ever tasted. I'm a soup lover. :)

Sometimes I change it up and put sausage in with beef. If you haven't tried it , give it a go . YUMMY!!!!

buttoni 10-31-2011 03:46 PM

That's a good idea holding out the cream and adding that after defrosting. I'll have to try that on my next batch.

Phos4us 11-04-2011 08:58 AM

I'm a bit late to this thread, but yes, you can either freeze the mushrooms, lightly cooked, or make the soup up to the cream and freeze, then add the cream after defrosting.

Having said that however, I have frozen cream based soups before, especially when they aren't all that chunky and it has worked just fine. If there is any separation, a quick whizz in the blender has solved that problem. The guar gum seems to be fairly good at pulling it all back together cohesively again!

debkeversole 01-01-2012 12:22 PM

subscribing :hiya:

Tilly 01-01-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVcook (Post 15136961)
Lightly cooked, sliced (or chopped) mushrooms can be frozen successfully. I buy them when on sale, clean, slice and saute until all the water is evaporated. Place them on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Bang off the cookie sheet, measure out desirable portions and package for long term storage (I use by foodsaver to seal in bags). They keep wonderfully this way!

Tilly: I definitely think that making the soup 'base' and adding the cream later would work. If Birgit's recipe makes about 4 cans, I would divide the base into 4 portions for the freezer and then just add 1/4 cup of cream or milk to the defrosted product.

I never knew that. I thought mushrooms could not be frozen. Wow, I will have to try this sometime. I also never knew they went on sale.

RVcook 01-01-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 15287976)
I never knew that. I thought mushrooms could not be frozen. Wow, I will have to try this sometime. I also never knew they went on sale.

Raw mushrooms do not freeze well...think little rubber slices... But, cooked mushrooms freeze great.

Fresh mushrooms don't go on sale that often, but every once in a while they do and that is the time to stock up!

Tilly 01-01-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVcook (Post 15288092)
Raw mushrooms do not freeze well...think little rubber slices... But, cooked mushrooms freeze great.

Fresh mushrooms don't go on sale that often, but every once in a while they do and that is the time to stock up!

Thanks for the tips. I will keep an eye out on the sales inserts for mushrooms, now.

tracker1 03-10-2013 03:15 PM

Freezing it...

I know this is an old thread, but going with a paleo approach, I'm trying to cut back on dairy as well as carbs... I still do cream in my mushroom soup, but much more broth and mushrooms than most.

Half an onion diced.
About 2# of mushrooms, half sliced, half diced, mixed variety, usually half button half other.
2QT beef broth
1.5 cup water

Bring to a simmer and let role for about an hour...
Stir in 1qt heavy cream

stir in pinches of glucomannan powder to thicken to desired consistency.

If you want to freeze it, I'd mix in the gluc. first, and freeze without the cream.

Strawberry 03-10-2013 08:08 PM

I have frozen cream based soups without any problems.