Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sen2two
WOE: Ketogenic
coconut flour vs. atkins bake mix

I have been debating on which to choose from. I am after the lowest carb count possible. I seen the atkins has 5 net carbs online. I seen coconut flour in whole foods. I remember it being very low carb, I believe below 5. But i can not remember. Anyone know for sure?

A major benefit for myself is I can get the coconut flour locally, but have to order the Atkins mix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ps. This will be used to bake breads and/or hamburger buns if it makes a difference.
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

I might of just answered my own questions. I was googling and found the same brand that I seen at whole foods. It's called "Bob's Red Mill Organic coconut flour". according to the nutritional info I found it says 8 grams total carbs with 5 grams of fiber, making it a net carb of only 3 per serving.

Here's a link: Organic Coconut Flour - Bob's Red Mill

but I would still like some insight from the low carb recipes pros here.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Sen2

Remember that Atkins Bake Mix, is formulated so that you
can bake biscuits and other things without putting much else
into it. The coconut flour is just flour.. You have it to add in
with other flours, ie,. almond flour and baking poweder etc.
My arsenal of low carb flours is:

Blanched almond flour, unblanched almond flour, coconut flour,
CarbQuick, Carbalose, Oat fiber, peanut flour, hazelnut flour.
Others here at LCF use even more things to bake with.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I did see something that said to only use 20 percent coconut flour. but I also found a few recipes that will only use coconut flour. and read a few places that say it will be fine to use only coconut flour.

but I am extremely new to baking, so I don't really know what to make of the conflicting information. I'm curious as to why I could not just use coconut flour?

I also just bought some flax seed mill. it has 4 carbs per serving, but also has 4 grams of fiber making it a 0 net carb item.

would mixing the coconut flour and flax workout for a bread mix?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
I did see something that said to only use 20 percent coconut flour. but I also found a few recipes that will only use coconut flour. and read a few places that say it will be fine to use only coconut flour.

but I am extremely new to baking, so I don't really know what to make of the conflicting information. I'm curious as to why I could not just use coconut flour?

I also just bought some flax seed mill. it has 4 carbs per serving, but also has 4 grams of fiber making it a 0 net carb item.

would mixing the coconut flour and flax workout for a bread mix?
Have you done the research on coconut flour? Most recipes, if you are going to bake with it exclusively, require an ungodly amount of eggs!!!! I have a cake recipe that uses just the coconut flour and about 8 or 9 eggs!!!! It soaks up the liquids like nobody's business. There is a lot of info out there about using coconut flour in your baking. I have bought a couple of cookbooks by Bruce Fife so that I can use coconut flour in my baking. I know I found one of his cookbooks in my library so you might want to see if your library has it before you go and buy it. I think the coconut flour I use makes the end product taste a bit like coconut when using just the coconut flour. So I would be careful what you are wanting to make with it.

Last edited by dawnyama; 10-29-2011 at 06:18 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote