Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
"Potato" Chips

Although these might not be good crumbled atop your next tuna casserole, they were FANTASTIC alongside my bunless hamburger at lunch today. I could eat these with a good sour cream onion dip any old day. Tasted just like potato chips to me and were VERY crisp, even after they cooled off.

When I was growing up, whenever we did charcoaled burgers, my Dad always asked Mom to fry potatoes, skin on, and always loaded his up with bunches of black pepper. I always thought that funny at the time, but have since learned to appreciate pepper on fries. In his honor (he passed away 6 years ago), I put some pepper on some of these little chips today and they tasted just like his skin-on fries!

These little crispy gems I made today were FANTASTIC alongside my bunless hamburger at lunch. I could eat them all by themselves or with a good sour cream dip any old day. Tasted just like potato chips to me and were VERY crisp, even after they cooled off. When I was growing up, my Dad always asked Mom to fry french fried potatoes with the skin on and loaded his up with black pepper. I always thought that funny at the time, but have learned to enjoy pepper on fries over the years. In his honor (he passed away 6 years ago), I put some pepper on some of these little chips today and they tasted just like his skin-on fries to me! Really good with just sea salt and with both salt and black pepper!

I have often wondered if you could deep fry jicama, but I honestly just didn’t believe you could hide the sweet quality of jicama enough to bother to try it. I also didn’t think I could ever slice it thin enough to work for something like this. Well, I bought a little folding Rival slicer recently and tried jicama on it today. It was more difficult to do jicama, but I finally got the hang of it and made these today to have with my bunless burger. Tasted even more like real potato chips to me than kale chips. They have 6.7 net carbs for this entire batch isn’t bad, either. Didn’t try them with any dip, just alone, but they’re probably do OK with soft sour cream or yogurt based dips. They would probably break apart and not do with cheese or bean dips.

INGREDIENTS:

6 oz. peeled jicama
Peanut oil 1″ deep for frying (only 1T. calculated in nutritional info below)
Dash sea salt, black pepper optional

DIRECTIONS: Set some papertoweling on newspaper by your stovetop for draining purposes. Next, peel and slice jicama VERY thin. I used a Rival fold-up slicer set on the thinnest setting, but a mandoline set on the thinnest blade setting would also work. It will take a very adept slicer to get it thin enough slicing with a knife by hand……not sure you can really. My food processor doesn’t slice this thin with either of the blades I have, but maybe you have a thinner blade than I. But if knife in hand is all you’ve got to work with, slice it as uniformly thin as you can. Bear in mind you will have to cook it much longer to get thicker slices to brown enough to get them truly crispy. You’re aiming for 1/16″ thick. Heat oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer. Drop about half the slices in so as not to crowd or cool off the oil too much. The bottoms will begin to brown first, so I flipped mine over several times to get the most even browning. You want these quite brown, but of course, not burned. Any white areas in the center will NOT be crispy, but rather chewy. But if these are browned well, they will be crisp even after they cool off! I was most impressed with that fact. When brown, lift out of oil with slotted spoon onto awaiting paper towels. While still hot and oily, sprinkle with salt and pepper if using. Fry the second half of the chips, drain and season. These are best served hot, but will stay somewhat crisp even when cool, if they are browned properly.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 20-25 chips (depends on how yours are cut). Entire batch contains:

184 calories
13.7 g fat
15 g carbs, 8.3 g fiber, 6.7 NET CARBS (for the entire batch)
1.2 g protein
196 mg sodium
266 mg potassium
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Whoo-Weee! These look yummy! Time to dig out the mandoline!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Peggy, you are so clever to think of these yummy things to try. They look fabulous.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Sounds great!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you folks like these. I know I was sure impressed they weren't "sweet".
Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was wondering, do you think a thin sliced rutabaga would work fried into chips?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seems like that ought to work, Linny. If you do, post back your results please. I'd be curious to know.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will and thank you. I never cooked rutabaga's ever so should be a fun experiment.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I just made a batch the second batch I sprinkled cinnamon and Spenda over it and they taste yummy
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Would winter squash sliced thin and fried be too many carbs and/or taste good? Anyone try it already?
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well what a good idea, NMorris. I've done baked jicama slices in the oven like that, drenched in butter. They're real chewy done that way. But cinnamony "crunchy" sounds cool!

Wine2, I'm not sure they'd get crisp. Never tried that. Let us know if you try it.