Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   The BEST Low-Carb Gluten-Free Bread Yet!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/742744-best-low-carb-gluten-free-bread-yet.html)

lgpars 10-24-2011 02:52 PM

The BEST Low-Carb Gluten-Free Bread Yet!!

If you all have not tried Jennifer Eloff's new recipe for her low-carb gluten free bread yet, you sure need to go to her blog site and look in the right hand column, scroll down and you'll see the link to the recipe. I made this today and it is sooooo good. Tastes like real bread and I imagine it's even better toasted. One recipe makes 30 slices of bread. I could not believe how good it was. No yucky aftertaste...just really excellent taste. I cannot wait for the new cookbook Low Carbing Among Friends by Jennifer in collaboration with several other talented low-carb friends. I already have my order in. I've tried so many low-carb bread recipes only to be so disappointed and throw the batch in the garbage. This recipe is going to save my life.

Nigel 10-24-2011 03:01 PM

Thank you for this info. I'll give it a try. It's great to hear about a LC bread that tastes great too. :jumpjoy:

nikki 10-24-2011 03:09 PM

Which one is it? There are sooo many.

misslatte 10-24-2011 03:15 PM

I'll have to give it a try! I also pre-ordered the cookbook and can't wait for it to come in!!:jumpjoy::high5::jumpjoy:

Charski 10-24-2011 04:22 PM

Jen Eloff is a goddess in the LC kitchen, and so sweet to share of her ideas and recipes on this board!

I have a number of her cookbooks and can't wait to add the newest one to my collection.

I'll look up this bread too - I haven't made bread ("real" bread!) since my pre-LC days.

nikki 10-24-2011 04:56 PM

Please someone tell me which bread is the "new" bread this thread is talking about? I went to her blog but there are a bazillion breads there and I can't tell which one is the "new" one.

buttoni 10-24-2011 05:09 PM

I have it printed out but haven't yet baked it. Plan to, though! Sure looks good, Jen.

buttoni 10-24-2011 05:12 PM

Nikki, I think OP is referring to "Sandwich Bread, 2.2 carbs," down toward the bottom of the breads list on her site. That's the last one I recall getting a subscriber's email on.

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 08:42 AM

Linda, thanks, and thanks everyone else too! :hugs: I'll post the recipe here for convenience. Let me go and see to that. :)

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 09:08 AM

Sandwich Bread (Gluten-Free and Low-Carb) 2.2 g carbs/slice

http://www.sweety.com/LOWCARBFRIENDS/Sandwichbread1.JPG

http://www.sweety.com/LOWCARBFRIENDS/sandwichbread2.JPG

SANDWICH BREAD

Great for sandwiches (nuke refrigerated slices 12 seconds), but even more wonderful toasted in a regular toaster or on the barbecue. It has the characteristics of an English muffin where it has a more absorbent surface (cut side) for butter and peanut butter, low-sugar jam or a little honey and cheese. You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches (butter cut sides facing outside). This recipe is in the cookbook Low-Carbing Among Friends.

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___
1/2 cup almond meal, OR flour (125 mL)
11/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large cookie sheet with foil and grease well.

In food processor, process cream cheese. Add eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond meal, OR almond flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture; process until thickened. Add cheese; process.

Drop batter in huge blobs on the foil. Take a large piece of plastic wrap and press out the batter to fill the cookie sheet evenly. Keep picking the plastic up and moving it around as needed to squish the batter. Once the whole cookie sheet is covered, use the back of a large spoon to make sure it is as even as possible. (If you wear glasses for reading, I recommend wearing them.) Bake approximately 25 minutes, or until browning on top. Divide the bread into 5 (for the longer side) x 3 sections. The bread will be about the same size as a standard piece of bread. Slice each piece into 2 slices of the same size as the original piece (just thinner) with a large serrated bread knife.

Helpful Hints: For the barbecue, we butter the bread on the cut sides, place thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced onion and cheese on one unbuttered side and top with the other half, buttered side to the outside. Place above or on the grill, depending on your barbecue towards the end of the time it takes to barbecue the meat. Close lid and check on them frequently. Use a flat, metal lifter to turn very carefully, supporting the top with your hand, to do other side. Sometimes I add some roasted chicken (and bacon done on the grill) and mayonnaise and that makes a meal on its own. Place the slices of bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator; lasts 2 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Yield: 30 slices
1 serving
129.7 calories
5.9 g protein
10.6 g fat
2.2 g carbs

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 09:14 AM

Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

Almond flour versus almond meal produces slight differences. Since my husband is merely intolerant of gluten, we use the garden variety oat flour by Arrowhead Mills. Gluten contamination is apparently minimal. This recipe is in the cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends.

1 2/3 cups almond flour, OR (400 mL)
(I use almond meal, i.e. ground sliced
almonds versus almond flour)
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour (175 ml)
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, (30 mL)
(Bob’s Red Mill®)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, OR almond meal, oat flour (if you are intolerant to gluten-free oat flour then substitute some other gluten-free flour), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup (250 mL) or more than 1 cup (250 mL) flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp (30 mL) more if substituting for less than 1 cup (250 mL). Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, cakes, coffeecakes and loaves (except for cookies usually as it changes the texture) and withholding about half the liquid/wet/fat ingredients and adding in as necessary. If the batter after processing at least a minute is still very thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience will be helpful. Coconut flour needs eggs.

This bake mix is great in muffins, loaves, cookies, donuts, coffeecakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties and it binds ingredients together preventing crumbly outcomes.

My Alternate Bake Mixes (not gluten-free): When substituting the Splendid Gluten-Free bake mix for some of my other bake mixes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more bake mix may be required depending on if one is replacing less than 1 cup (250 mL) or 1 cup (250 mL) or more (last 2, latter amount). Follow the same rules above. It is convenient to double or triple this bake mix. See blog post on this recipe for more information or updates: low-carb-news.blogspot.com

Yield: 21/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving
125.7 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g carbs

rosethorns 10-25-2011 09:22 AM

This looks divine Jen.

Ok hear comes a question. I just found non dairy turtle mountain yogurt. If I can make yo cheese out of this can I use this instead of the cream cheese? TIA

RVcook 10-25-2011 10:32 AM

Jennifer's GF-LC Bake Mix is FABULOUS! I have been using it in different applications and I am truly impressed with how well it works in muffins, cakes, quick breads and pancakes. Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 10:55 AM

Thanks, Donna. It's a relief to have found a low-carb bake mix that works well, and that is also gluten-free. Tall order! Thanks for encouraging me to find a nice bake mix for us all - and also for all that initial testing you did along with me. :)

Esther, I don't really know what to say other than I have heard that people use
yogurt cheese as a substitute for cream cheese. Surely it is not as solid as cream cheese? I would think there would be a difference in the baked product. You many need less of your yogurt cheese, so I would withhold some - the batter needs to be moist but thickish, if I recall; fun to squish it out underneath the plastic wrap! LOL Sorry you can't have dairy. That's a tough one!

dianafoot 10-25-2011 11:00 AM

If you aren't gluten-free, try her whole grain bread recipe. It is the best I have ever tried! I was not going to believe that it was 2 g carbs per slice until I saw that it rose to the ceiling and made 2 loaves of the lightest and best low carb bread I have ever tasted!
Thanks Jennifer, for all of your work and sharing. Now that I cannot do almonds any more (kidney stones), I am back to wheat gluten and oat flour -- thank goodness, I do not react to VWG.

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 11:03 AM

Wow, Diana, that is rough. I have a nut-free bake mix. Do you want me to post it for you? You can't have walnuts either? - 'cos one can grind those and use instead of almonds.

Also wanted to say thanks for the kind words re my whole grain bread - it's in the sticky room.

rosethorns 10-25-2011 11:09 AM

Thanks Jennifer. I have many allergies. Wheat, all soy, rice, all dairy flax, and many others. :stars:

So I'm going to try with the turtle mountain yogurt. Wish me luck.

I can't wait for your new cookbook!!!:heart:

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 11:22 AM

Ah, Esther, in a way I can relate. I also have allergies which have become worse over the years:

chocolate
all berries
MSG
coffee
red wine
some white wines

Each and every one of those can cause a nasty migraine headache which if not treated can go on for 3 whole days!

It's tough because you can see that being a cookbook author, having that problem hampers me a bit and makes me feel very sad at times, as I can't enjoy some of my own creations. :cry:

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 11:23 AM

Actually, Diana, are you also allergic to flax?

RVcook 10-25-2011 12:05 PM

Jennifer, I have a question. Exactly what sized pan did you use for the bread? I have 3 different sizes of sheet pans!

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 12:11 PM

Hmm, the biggest one you have, I imagine. I'll go measure with my teeny tiny ruler - be back in a moment! :laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 12:32 PM

Good grief, Donna! I just Googled it and there are fifty million sizes for cookie sheets, it seems. I had no idea! I've had mine for donkeys years. When it got so dirty, my sweet father-in-law scrubbed it and scrubbed it until it almost looked new!

I measured mine - looks like about 14.5 inches wide and 23 inches long; double checked it too.

Sorry for the delay. It's so lovely and sunny outside that Smiley (my adopted doggie) and I had to take a little break to enjoy it.

Jennifer Eloff 10-25-2011 12:43 PM

P.S. Thanks! I fixed it in the book and on my website! :) How clever you are! :shake:

nikki 10-25-2011 02:36 PM

Thanks! I have it now. You rock!

dianafoot 10-25-2011 02:41 PM

Thanks Jennifer! Just as I was making astounding almond chocolate cake, fudgy bean cake, and growing wonderful greens in my garden, I find I have to go off all nuts and seeds (except pumpkin seeds), CHOCOLATE, all dark green leafy vegetables, all beans, berries such as blueberries and raspberries, and oddly, celery. (Oh, did I say CHOCOLATE?) So now I'm down to pumpkin seeds as my only seed/nut contribution to use in bake mixes. I will try your bake mix with pumpkin seed meal or flour to replace almonds. Let's see how that works out.

rosethorns 10-25-2011 04:10 PM

Wow it sounds like alot of us have food allergies.:stars:

Jen I know I can work it out. I have on many recipes in the past years.

When I use to make yo-cheese with yogurt it came out very thick.

Tweaking is what we do to fit us.:hyst::hyst::hyst:

Thanks

RVcook 10-25-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 15120763)
Good grief, Donna! I just Googled it and there are fifty million sizes for cookie sheets, it seems. I had no idea! I've had mine for donkeys years. When it got so dirty, my sweet father-in-law scrubbed it and scrubbed it until it almost looked new!

I measured mine - looks like about 14.5 inches wide and 23 inches long; double checked it too.

Sorry for the delay. It's so lovely and sunny outside that Smiley (my adopted doggie) and I had to take a little break to enjoy it.

No wonder!!! I was using my largest cookie pan and it is only 11 x 17. Next time, I think I'll just use TWO mid sized pans which are 10 x 15. Sheesh! The slices came out smaller than what you had on the website and they were VERY puffy. Now I understand...:clap: And I think including the pan size in the recipe is a great idea!

Your weather sounds delightful! Smiley is lucky to have such a thoughtful mistress. He looks like a very happy puppy :)

Jennifer Eloff 10-26-2011 04:10 AM

COOKIE SHEET SIZE - OOPS - I'M SO SORRY!!

Could I look more silly? :o My only excuse is my brain is a bit fried! I am somewhat distracted. I have maybe 4 or 5 days of work left on my cookbook (doing the page referencing and Index), but I'll admit lately I've been quite stressed out from time to time. So with my fried brain, I went and stood in the sun for 10 minutes and fried it some more before measuring. :laugh:

The COOKIE SHEET SIZE = 11 X 17 INCHES

I am so sorry! I was using a ruler that said 12 inches (but remember I called it teeny tiny?) - geesh - it started at 4 inches (broken ruler!) and for some very odd reason (fried brain?), I simply didn't think at all. :stars:

Donna, it's a little counterintuitive when you have to cut the bread because you're thinking you need to get the same size as sandwich bread. Just follow the directions exactly. It's one big flat piece, right? Then you take the looong side and cut into 5 divisions and then the short side, you cut into 3 divisions. Now you can finally see the size! It will be a bit puffy - so now you take each individual slice and slice that into two to make roughly the same size as sandwich bread. It will be thin but it tastes better that way and toasts better. Now you have 30 slices of bread! I have some more pics on my blog - you know where I make toasted cheese or where we do it on the barbie as a sandwich with cheese, onion and tomato (ever tried that?). Delicious! This is a hold over family tradition (Ian's family) from the olden days when I grew up in South Africa. :)

Jennifer Eloff 10-26-2011 04:21 AM

Do you want to know something funny?! After a good night's sleep, I was lying awake at around 5:30 am and my thoughts went first to my interview with Jimmy Moore later in the morning and then to this thread and suddenly I remembered my small ruler - and then the penny dropped! :doh: Wow, talk about doing about something stupid.....waah! :o

Brendajm 10-26-2011 05:40 AM

I too have the cookbook pre ordered!! I need to do a dairy free bread, any thoughts? All the creamcheese would not be good for me.