Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Great idea, Donna, I'll try using all bake mix next time.Do you use almond flour or almond meal? I used Bob's almond flour.

Cathie, I too live in the high desert and my low carb crackers are always crispy! My dishes dry in a flash. My skin, too. We just drove through Utah, it is a beautiful state.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Great idea, Donna, I'll try using all bake mix next time.Do you use almond flour or almond meal? I used Bob's almond flour.

Cathie, I too live in the high desert and my low carb crackers are always crispy! My dishes dry in a flash. My skin, too. We just drove through Utah, it is a beautiful state.

Dee
I have used both, but now exclusively use almond flour.

I LOVE the high desert! Unfortunately we now live in the midwest and when it's humid, your dishcloths literally take D-A-Y-S to dry...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Humidity is rough. But I'll bet your skin looks great!

Dee
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Humidity is rough. But I'll bet your skin looks great!

Dee
Oh yeah...great for an old gal...
Old 11-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, I love the way you guys all figured out solutions. Yay! I must admit, Dee, I myself am not crazy about almond flour in bread (for my crepe recipe, I avoided almond flour completely (don't like it in there), but I love Donna's pancakes and only hers made with the Gluten-free bake mix which contains almond flour), but this bread toasted is quite nice. I don't use it as "bread" but rather as toast. We also like to make our grilled tomato and onion and cheese sandwiches on the barbecue - yum! Those are good! Not bad as toasted cheese in a regular toasted cheese sandwich maker. Butter the cut sides and keep them to the outside.

What else - hmm - yes, the savory version you suggest is a great idea, Donna, for those who are not into "sweet" like me - I used to have 3 tbsp of Parmesan cheese in the bread - that makes it a bit more savory. I took it out for a more neutral bread-like flavor, but maybe in hindsight I should not have done that. Also, the Focaccia bread is quite savory, I find. My hubs likes that and like, Cathie, he prefers the Artisan buns. I now make the buns with all Gluten-Free Bake Mix too. I have not tried to make the sandwich bread like that. That's a great idea, Donna. I'm also not so concerned about a gram extra of carbs per slice. Maybe I should be as I still have 5 lbs to lose. I can't seem to do it as there is one party after the next this time of year, plus I've started developing recipes again. The story of my life! LOL But I enjoy it and that is what counts.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 11-30-2011 at 05:56 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maryellen
Low Carb gluten free

where is the recipe for this? Is it something you can make yourself or is it something you need to purchase?
maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SANDWICH BREAD

Great for sandwiches (nuke refrigerated slices 12 seconds), but even more wonderful toasted in a regular toaster or on the barbecue. It has the characteristics of an English muffin where it has a more absorbent surface (cut side) for butter and peanut butter, low-sugar jam or a little honey and cheese. You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches (butter cut sides facing outside). This recipe can be found in the cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends.

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___
1/2 cup almond meal, OR flour (125 mL)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large cookie sheet with foil and grease well.

In food processor, process cream cheese. Add eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract; process. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond meal, OR almond flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture; process until thickened. Add cheese; process.

Drop batter in huge blobs on the foil. Take a large piece of plastic wrap and press out the batter to fill the cookie sheet evenly. Keep picking the plastic up and moving it around as needed to squish the batter. Once the whole cookie sheet is covered, use the back of a large spoon to make sure it is as even as possible. (If you wear glasses for reading, I recommend wearing them.) Bake approximately 25 minutes, or until browning on top. Divide the bread into 5 (for the longer side) x 3 sections. The bread will be about the same size as a standard piece of bread. Slice each piece into 2 slices of the same size as the original piece (just thinner) with a large serrated bread knife.

Helpful Hints: For the barbecue, we butter the bread on the cut sides, place thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced onion and cheese on one unbuttered side and top with the other half, buttered side to the outside. Place above or on the grill, depending on your barbecue towards the end of the time it takes to barbecue the meat. Close lid and check on them frequently. Use a flat, metal lifter to turn very carefully, supporting the top with your hand, to do other side. Sometimes I add some roasted chicken (and bacon done on the grill) and mayonnaise and that makes a meal on its own. Place the slices of bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator; lasts 2 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Yield: 30 slices
1 serving
129.7 calories
5.9 g protein
10.6 g fat
2.2 g carbs
Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer, I was thinking of adding parmesan next time, maybe some dehydrated onion bits, Dried parsley...... Yumm! Good to know the parmesan will work. I'll look for the focaccia recipe. Last night I was mooning over Vianna La Place's book, Panini, Bruchetta, Crostini. Your bread , toasted and with the amazing , mostly low carb toppings she suggests will allow me to enjoy some of her very special recipes.The one with ricotta and swiss chard sounds particularly tempting. I really don't miss bread, but I do miss toast and now I don't have to! Thanks for your help and recipes.

Dee
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unless the bread is super-yummy (cake-like), I don't miss it either. Toast is definitely better for breakfast and the things you mention. It's really just a medium for all those other things we put on it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Dee
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
I had one of the artisan buns for breakfast today and it was so much like an English muffin.
I am one who love(ed) breads. Doesn't matter which type I loved it! I even have a wheat grinder at home that I used to grind my own flour to make my homemade breads
Now I KNOW that me and carbs are NOT friends and I have to keep them to a limit and to non starchy carbs.
Anyway I am still working on how to get a less soft feel to my rolls.
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathie, you sound like my DH. I must admit I used to love bread as well. I don't miss it that much anymore to be honest. Ian does and I have to keep the Artisan buns coming. They are ever so slightly crispier straight out of the oven if you brush them with egg white before baking - but there is just too much moisture in them to be the kind of bun you're hankering after. I'll have to work on a yeast bread next. Tricky! My DH slices these buns in 3 pieces and toasts the pieces. I think it's nice fresh but later better toasted.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I noticed that they get a bit more crispy out of the toaster.
I will patiently wait for a yeast bread one day in the future.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I have not tried it, Cathie in UT, but I believe Jennifer has one. It is called Wholegrain Bread. Here is the link in LCF's: Good Bread Recipe

I'm sure others here have made it. I love Jennifer's recipes, so I'm sure this is a winner!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, you are a sweetheart and so helpful. I think in this instance, if I recall correctly, Cathie and her husband are following a gluten-free, low-carb lifestyle.

It's so easy to make low-carb breads if gluten is allowed. Geesh, I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish the task of a gluten-free and low-carb bread. Anyway, guess it can't be quite as bad as the first low-carb bread I ever made. I used SO much gluten that it grew and grew like a football in the oven and I think I could probably have bounced it on the floor! My sweet hubby came home from work and chewed and chewed - saying something nice inbetween to encourage me. I broke it up and put it in the the large bird feeder (like a little house) - well, a little racoon moved in for a while. He appreciated my first efforts at making low-carb bread.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Tilly, you are a sweetheart and so helpful. I think in this instance, if I recall correctly, Cathie and her husband are following a gluten-free, low-carb lifestyle.

It's so easy to make low-carb breads if gluten is allowed. Geesh, I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish the task of a gluten-free and low-carb bread. Anyway, guess it can't be quite as bad as the first low-carb bread I ever made. I used SO much gluten that it grew and grew like a football in the oven and I think I could probably have bounced it on the floor! My sweet hubby came home from work and chewed and chewed - saying something nice inbetween to encourage me. I broke it up and put it in the the large bird feeder (like a little house) - well, a little racoon moved in for a while. He appreciated my first efforts at making low-carb bread.
Pictures Jennifer? We all have those funny memories of something gone bad in the kitchen!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha, Tilly!!

What I meant by not being sure how I was going to make a gluten-free and low-carb bread .... I meant using yeast and in a bread maker or at least started in the bread maker. I do have this fairly nice low-carb and gluten-free sandwich bread that makes nice toasted sandwiches but it is not a yeast bread and neither are the Artisan hamburger buns.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

LOL Jennifer...I have had some spectacular bread failers in the past but in the end that is half the fun!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Haha, Tilly!!

What I meant by not being sure how I was going to make a gluten-free and low-carb bread .... I meant using yeast and in a bread maker or at least started in the bread maker. I do have this fairly nice low-carb and gluten-free sandwich bread that makes nice toasted sandwiches but it is not a yeast bread and neither are the Artisan hamburger buns.
I actually attempted it Jen...with a recipe I thought would work, using your bake mix, making some adjustments to the 'flour' component, adding yeast, letting it raise, etc. Surprisingly...it tasted very good and the texture was OK, but it was a very heavy bread and you really had to slice it into 'slivers' instead of slices.

I haven't written much about it because I need to get back and try a few other things before I totally give up.... I even added yeast to your Sandwich Bread recipe as written and just let it raise in the 11 x 14 pan. Although it took on a slight yeast taste, the texture wasn't changed much and it was not necessarily a significant improvement over the original recipe; good, but NOT an improvement.

I just can't resist the temptation to try.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Cathie.

Donna - you're very brave. Hmm, I'm thinking the bake mix would not be the greatest thing for the bread by the sounds of things. I would tend to break up the ingredients and use more coconut flour perhaps, less almond flour, more oat flour for sure...and so on. In the New Year, I'll play with some ideas I have but I'm expecting some flops initially. Tall order!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jen - I made your Artisan Sesame buns out of the new cookbook, I used Kevin's Carbalose flour mix only. I cut the recipe down for my initial go at it and made 6 buns. They are wonderful! They are as good as or better than any bun I've made to date, texture is soft with a crispy crust. I've had a tuna sandwich and a toasted bun that I then melted Swiss cheese on and added a couple of thinly sliced pieces of ham - yummy! I think I'll be making more real soon and will make a full recipe next time.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanD
WOE: GF and Low Carb
Start Date: 12-9-12
Hi,
I'm resurrecting this thread as my first post to the forum to say that I just made this bread and it is delicious. I'm now on a low-carb and gluten-free diet.Thank you very much.

Now, I assume we can't put the dough into a regular bread loaf pan since it doesn't have yeast in it?

Thanks again for a wonderful recipe.

Joan.

Quote:
SANDWICH BREAD

Great for sandwiches (nuke refrigerated slices 12 seconds), but even more wonderful toasted in a regular toaster or on the barbecue. It has the characteristics of an English muffin where it has a more absorbent surface (cut side) for butter and peanut butter, low-sugar jam or a little honey and cheese. You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches (butter cut sides facing outside). This recipe can be found in the cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends.

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___
1/2 cup almond meal, OR flour (125 mL)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

[snip]
JoanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD View Post
Hi,
I'm resurrecting this thread as my first post to the forum to say that I just made this bread and it is delicious. I'm now on a low-carb and gluten-free diet.Thank you very much.

Now, I assume we can't put the dough into a regular bread loaf pan since it doesn't have yeast in it?

Thanks again for a wonderful recipe.

Joan.
JoanD,
Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome, JoanD!! Sorry, I've been MIA - just seriously busy and finally finished my work on Low-Carbing Among Friends, vol. 3!

This is very cool...I have to make this recipe for my DH again. Sometimes I start new recipes and forget the old ones, and they're not necessarily better than my first attempts.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Has anyone tried bread with this recipe to make stuffing? I would like to do it for Christmas but would like to know how it would work before I try it. TIA
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Subbing so I can find this later!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Me too :-)
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heidihomom
WOE: Bernstein/Primal
Start Date: May 2012
Jennifer, thanks for this post! I was attracted to the oat flour-free version of Bisquick published by Maria. So glad to find it! Now I have to go find your uber awesome bread recipe! What can I use besides oat flour?
heidihomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Could this bread be made in a regular loaf pan? TIA
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, I really do not know Lc-chica for sure how that would turn out. I suspect it will be fine. You will have to bake it longer - cover with foil if it is browning too much on top. Then test later with a knife in center to see if it is baked through. If you find the loaf does not rise enough to make nice size slices of bread, then cut in in half so there are two pieces of loaf. Stand those pieces on their ends and slice as many slices as you can. They should be more the size of a regular loaf then. Just a thought. See Barbo's Onion Rye Bread thread for more instructions on how to cut such a loaf. Hope that helps.