Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks, Brenda!

This bread is very dairy heavy with the cream cheese and cheese - I would suggest trying something else perhaps. Esther going to try the bread with her yogurt cheese. You might want to see how that turns out for her.

I will work on a few more gluten-free breads in the New Year and perhaps a bread machine bread. That should challenge me! Chances are those breads will be higher carb than this one, however.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Could I look more silly? My only excuse is my brain is a bit fried! I am somewhat distracted. I have maybe 4 or 5 days of work left on my cookbook (doing the page referencing and Index), but I'll admit lately I've been quite stressed out from time to time. So with my fried brain, I went and stood in the sun for 10 minutes and fried it some more before measuring.

The COOKIE SHEET SIZE = 11 X 17 INCHES

I am so sorry! I was using a ruler that said 12 inches (but remember I called it teeny tiny?) - geesh - it started at 4 inches (broken ruler!) and for some very odd reason (fried brain?), I simply didn't think at all.

Donna, it's a little counterintuitive when you have to cut the bread because you're thinking you need to get the same size as sandwich bread. Just follow the directions exactly. It's one big flat piece, right? Then you take the looong side and cut into 5 divisions and then the short side, you cut into 3 divisions. Now you can finally see the size! It will be a bit puffy - so now you take each individual slice and slice that into two to make roughly the same size as sandwich bread. It will be thin but it tastes better that way and toasts better. Now you have 30 slices of bread! I have some more pics on my blog - you know where I make toasted cheese or where we do it on the barbie as a sandwich with cheese, onion and tomato (ever tried that?). Delicious! This is a hold over family tradition (Ian's family) from the olden days when I grew up in South Africa.
Oh Jen...you don't look silly! I think you're just a bit overworked and with all the last minute things you are taking care of before the book launch, I'll bet you have waaaaaaaay too much on your mind! I remember trying to pick out carpeting once and just couldn't make up my mind. This went on for weeks and every night I fell asleep, all I dreamed about was carpeting...lol. I know my life is in turmoil when I'm living my daily routine in my sleep. Ughh!

Fair enough. My slices looked much "puffier" than yours, so I'm not sure what that was about, but the taste was wonderful. Yes...I tend to get too caught up in the little details such as size and puff, but in the end, the size doesn't matter as much as the taste...and that was fabulous

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Jennifer--I have gobs of oat fiber-why I ordered so much I have no clue-maybe because of all the fiber? but anyway--I have no oat flour--can this be used in the bread recipe or interchanged for oat flour? I am just learning about baking with these new things-so I appreciate all the recipes here--thanks so much --I have the new cookbook ordered too!

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Donna. I think you are right - just too much going on. Hope to be done soon and then I can concentrate on being a bit more of a friend on here to my LCF's. Just been a crazy-busy time!

Jeanne, oat fiber is a very different product to oat flour, so I'm going to say that it probably will not work satisfactorily. Oh, your name reminds me of a very dear friend (like a mom) who passed on a while back. She will always be in my garden of sweet memories!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I baked my GF bread in a jelly roll pan (I think that is what it is called...has small sides on it) and the inside measurements of it are 11-1/2 by 17-1/4 and the bread came out perfect. Just the right thickness in the 30 slices. I like to nuke my slice about 10 sec. and then spread cream cheese over it. Yum! Really good. This bread holds up so well with anything I want to do with it. Usually spreading cream cheese on warm bread would cause it to tear apart but not this bread. I'm really happy with it.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I meant to say when I froze part of my bread I separated every two slices with wax paper so they would not stick together. Also, the ones I put in the frig in my bread container I put a small square of paper towel between every two slices and it keeps the bread from becoming too moist in the frig. They come out really nice this way. The paper towels squares were the same size as the bread slices.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars View Post
I meant to say when I froze part of my bread I separated every two slices with wax paper so they would not stick together. Also, the ones I put in the frig in my bread container I put a small square of paper towel between every two slices and it keeps the bread from becoming too moist in the frig. They come out really nice this way. The paper towels squares were the same size as the bread slices.
That's exactly what I do. A handy tip I learned when I first started baking gluten free. Traditional GF bread is quite 'gummy' and you have to use a hammer and chisel to break a sliced loaf apart right out of the freezer.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathie in UT
Stats: No more scale or weighing! 5'4.5"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restarted 7/06 and again 10-2011
Thanks so much for all your research in providing some do-able recipes for bread.
I have tried out the Bread-bun first and love it but I have decided to keep it in once piece instead of cutting the buns into 2. They are just too thin for me to keep my sandwich together LOL
Gonna try a new one today and see how I like it too
PS ordered the cookbook too and can't wait until mid November to get it
Cathie in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda, those are great ideas for freezing the bread and storing it.

Cathie, I think you are referring to my first attempt to make buns with this sandwich bread idea. My Artisan Hamburger Buns (the newest ones) are a very nice, normal size. Tell me, I don't have to post those as well? I might just - but I don't have time right this very minute. Seriously, I don't have time until early next week. I'll be back though and probably post the buns here and in the gluten-free thread.

Thanks so much for your interest everyone.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I just baked it today and it was FANTASTIC, Jennifer. But I only had 1¼ c. of your G-F bake mix made up and subbed in 3/4 c. of your Low-Carb Bake Mix and it cooked up very fluffy and tasty. Hubby really liked this one, too!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

I think I used the newest bun recipe? But I did sub cheddar cheese for the jack as I didn't have any at the time. Would that have made a difference?
I also got 15 buns instead of 12 I think so maybe I made them too small?
Either way they have been lovely to add to my repertoire.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, yes you made too many buns, Cathie. The Cheddar cheese wouldn't make much difference - just gives it a stronger cheesy flavor, I imagine. Yesterday I made buns and I decided to use only my gluten-free bake mix (i.e. no almond flour) and guess what? I got the biggest buns yet. I made 12 though. They were extremely bread-like and neutral tasting. I skip the Parmesan cheese, which is what I used to use in the recipe.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I have eaten all the original batch so I will try your suggestions and see if I get bigger buns? LOL
I am also at altitude...4300 feet and wonder if I should add a bit more leavening?
Bye the way I also made some pumpkin muffins on Friday and yum-o! I have to keep myself from wolfing them down.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool Cathie. So nice to hear! I made such a good pumpkin cheesecake with caramel topping yesterday. I will need to do a post soon.

I don't know - you can try adding a titch more baking powder, but I'm fairly high up too - on a mountain - not at sea level.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
The Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

This is a big winner in our home. It is the best tasting non
gluten bread without flax that I have had in my LC life.

Make it and be good to yourselves.
Tweakers: This is a perfect bread for YOU

I have two of the new books on order. Can't wait for
them to get here, maybe by Thanksgiving.
BTW there are several of my recipes in it, as well
as Char. Lots of others that you know and respect.
That's why it's called LC Friends. Going to write a letter
to Netrition (our Super Store) to add it to their inverntory.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Did my new batch of the LC GF Buns/Bread and they turned out successfully and I think better than the last batch.
Used just a pinch more baking powder, Jack instead of cheddar cheese, and tried using my muffin top pan for half the batch.
Loving how easy they are to make and I am pleased with how they taste...so nice and bready.
Here are pics I took a bit ago. You might notice there are some that are a bit darker than the others...those are the ones I made in the muffin pan which is a dark non stick finish as opposed to the foil lined jelly roll pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB060190.jpg (74.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg PB060191.jpg (62.0 KB, 17 views)

Found out that sizes aren't all equal working on my other 16's NOW Zipped and buttoned with much less muffin top and I can wear them in public
Old 11-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Jennifer, or anyone else who has made this recipe. Do you think the bread could be used for stuffing for the turkey for Thanksgiving? TIA Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, I definitely think it could be used in stuffing, Julie, whether toasted or not. That's a good idea.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Butonni, I'll try it and let everyone know. Julie
Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, I think it would be better if you toast the bread before using it.

Yeast bread is better for stuffing though.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Jen. Julie
Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Made another batch today and ended up with 9 bigger rolls and one little one I guess I need to figure out the portions for the baking. I am using an ice cream scoop but somehow I can't get it just right!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cathie - You might want to try the new improved recipe - 12 buns. I just posted it in the room for you. Pretty much a fail-safe recipe, I think. Wondering how you managed to get only 10 buns? Maybe your ice cream scoop is bigger than mine. Not sure. lol Anyway, maybe try the new recipe and see if you like it better. I do. It is even more bread-like and they rise better and keep that rise.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What room, Jennifer? I too would love the new recipe. Julie
Old 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Julie - sorry it's in this recipe and menu room. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
I finally got all the ingredients together to make the bake mix. I used almond flour, not almond meal. I made a half batch as my counter top Breville oven is small. The bread looked beautiful, but right out of the oven, not so good tasting. After sitting in the fridge over night and split and toasted with egg salad on top this morning, it is very nice. The almond flour has a sweet vanilla type taste that is acceptable in cookies and muffins but not so great in bread.I think I'll experiment with making the bread with almond meal and adding herbs like oregano and rosemary and maybe some garlic to make it more savory. The almond meal may have less sweetness. Many thanks for the recipe, lots of yummy tweaking ahead. My husband loves it just like it is!

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
I finally got all the ingredients together to make the bake mix. I used almond flour, not almond meal. I made a half batch as my counter top Breville oven is small. The bread looked beautiful, but right out of the oven, not so good tasting. After sitting in the fridge over night and split and toasted with egg salad on top this morning, it is very nice. The almond flour has a sweet vanilla type taste that is acceptable in cookies and muffins but not so great in bread.I think I'll experiment with making the bread with almond meal and adding herbs like oregano and rosemary and maybe some garlic to make it more savory. The almond meal may have less sweetness. Many thanks for the recipe, lots of yummy tweaking ahead. My husband loves it just like it is!

Dee
I make this recipe quite often with the following tweaks because I enjoy a more 'savory' version:

Eliminate the vanilla extract
Add 1/8 tsp. onion powder
Add 1/16 tsp. garlic powder

Eliminating the vanilla extract REALLY helps the taste of the other ingredients come through and plays down the 'sweet' factor. Adding the onion powder improves the overall taste while adding the garlic is just to add a bit more 'savory-ness' to the bread.

Might be worth a try based on your post.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Great ideas, thanks, Donna. I'll try them next batch.

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

To each his own I always say.
I am now using the Artisan Rolls recipe Jen has posted and it is even better to me.
I keep mine in a plastic zipper bag so they don't dry out and end up kind of squishy.
I always let them cool completely before bagging but wonder if there is any way to keep them from getting too soft?
Bye the way I live in the high desert area of the US and normally a piece of bread left out will be hard and dry in about 8 hrs
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Great ideas, thanks, Donna. I'll try them next batch.

Dee
You're welcome! BTW...after reading Cathie's post, I double checked the recipe and realized that there is very little difference between the two.

One additional thing I neglected to mention is that with the sandwich bread recipe I use 2 1/2 C. of the GF bake mix instead of 2 C. bake mix and 1/2 C. almond flour. The additional carbs are insignificant to me and it's just easier. YMMV.