Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
CHOCOLATE SYRUP - LOW CARB

Catkin asked me to post my SF Chocolate Syrup recipe. So I am. As I told her, I have been working on it for some time. I have developed several for different sweeteners, and peoples sweetener preferences.
I'll see if I already have it/them posted. If not, I'll post, and let you know I posted them.

It started off as a low carb tweak to the Hershey's cocoa syrup recipe I got from them years ago.

I found that I never liked the way the syrup would turn out using Granular Splenda (I didn't have a problem myself with the chocolate/splenda combo, just didn't like the "texture" (for lack of a better word).

Keep in mind that it won't last as well as the ones made with sugar, and especially the store bought kind. But it will keep refrigerated for awhile (just not as long).

Oh, and for the most part you can tweak the sweeteners to your liking. Just not happy with the use of just Splenda granular alone. And personally if using sucralose at all (which I sometimes add), Id use either QP (if you still have some), pure pwd, or the liquid, and not the granular (cup for cup). Just don't care for the maltodrextrin in it. (Don't care for that anyway. I almost never use granular Splenda anymore for that reason.)

So here goes:

Cocoa Syrup Home Style

Amount Ingredients
-------- ------------------------------------
1/8 cup Erythritol
1/8 cup Xylitol (can just use ˝ cup Erythritol)
1 TBsp PolyD
dash of salt
1 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1/4 tsp Glucomannan
1 ˝ - 2/3 cup hot water
8 Drops Sweetzfree (1/4 tsp Splenda Quick Pack = 6drps sweetzfree)
2 tsp vanilla

Instructions: Mix sugar subs, salt and cocoa in a saucepan. Add 1/3 cup hot water, to make a paste, then remainder of water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 3 minutes; stir occasionally. Add vanilla. Pour at once into a jar. When cool, cover and place in refrigerator. Makes 2 cups syrup.

Can be made in microwave. Use microwave safe bowl or quart measuring cup. Cook on high about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes stirring occasionally. Watch closely

Billie Carol Willis

I almost always make mine in a 2 quart measuring cup in the microwave. I usually nuke a total of about 3 minutes. I also add enough water to go just above the 2 cup mark. It will cook down to 2 cups.
Half recipe without PolyD or Sweetzfree

˝ c cocoa
1/8 tsp Splenda QP
1/8 c Whey Low
1/8 c Xylitol or Erythitol or 1 TBsp ea
smidgen salt or lite salt
3/4 - 1 c hot water (start slowly with ˝ cup add more as needed)
1 tsp vanilla

I have used several different blends of sweeteners with & w/o PolyD.
Here are a couple that I have used:

8 drops Sweetzfree ( 1/3 cup equivalent) (1/4 + 1/16 tsp Splenda Quick Pack)
1/4 cup Erythritol (or ˝ Erythritol & ˝ Xylitol)
1 pkg Sweet One
3 pkg Sweet Leaf Stevia Plus or 1/32 tsp pure Stevia pwd
Today I used:
1/4 c E/X blend (˝ & ˝)
1/4 tsp Stevia pwd (pure)
1 pkg Sweet One

I have tried using Granular Splenda a few times, and have never been happy with the texture results. Other sweeteners just seem to work better (irregardless of the Splenda/chocolate effect) I was quite happy with today’s sweetener blend. If you don’t have Sweet One, just add a little more of one of the other sweeteners. You may also find that you need more sweetener anyway, as we like a dark bittersweet chocolate.

Just experiment till you have the amount/blend of sweetener you like. But again, I do not recommend Granular Splenda!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Thanks so very much, Billie!
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, Billie!
magnamater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
This looks very good, thanks for sharing. Can someone tell me the carb count? And some ideas where to use it? It seems to make a lot. Thanks again!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

You are welcome!!! Hope you enjoy it, if you try it!

Tilly, The carb count would depend on the sweeteners used. I guess I've never worked it out. Since a serving is usually 1 or 2 Tbsps, it shouldn't be much. Maybe I can get a chance to work them out. But it will be later.
It makes just over 2 cups as written. You can half the recipe. Might be a good idea, especially the first time you make it! I've made 1/2 the recipes lots of times myself.

I use it over low carb ice cream mainly. But I've also used it to top flourless cakes, low carb muffins, cheese cake, etc. Anywhere you would use Hershey's chocolate syrup. (If you used that.) It could even top low carb pancakes or waffles!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-24-2011 at 07:09 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whoa, this sounds too good. I think I will hold off for now. I would not be able to contain myself with something like this. You know, here I am, a pot of chocolate, a spoon, and no one around. Can you guess how this turns out? I LOVE this LC way of eating. Thanks, Billie!!!!! p.s. What is Whey Low?

Last edited by Tilly; 10-24-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Till, I found that I had ran some of the numbers thru MasterCook. For the one I have in bold (which is what I often use, tho I sometimes do add the PolyD) here is the nutritional info for 2 TBsp:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 22 Calories; trace Fat (20.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 20mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Unknown Items: SweetLeaf SteviaPlus
So about 1 net carb,

For 2 TBsp using the PolyD:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 30 Calories; trace Fat (9.2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 20mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Unknown Items: SweetLeaf SteviaPlus
about 2 net carbs per 2 TBsp

These are still kind of approximate carb counts, but should be pretty close.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

i understand Tilly!!

I might mention again, that this is a pretty bittersweet chocolate, as that is the way we like it. Some (maybe most) might want to add more sweetener to this.

How do I explain Whey Low??? It is a sugar substitute that is made of 3 different types of sugar. It is sugar, but according to their site, the 3 types sort of cancel each other out. Their claim is that it will not raise blood sugars, some (many) find this to be true. some people do find it raises theirs. I think that Kevinpa said it did his. But I know people who sware by it, and oly use it as a sweetener. The verdict (carb wise) is still out for me. I'm just not sure. The carb count I believe is 24 per cup (like Splenda Granular), but their claim is that it reacts like about 4 (I think it is). You can find more info on it by doing a search for it on here, or by going to their site WheyLow.com.
Maybe others can better explain it to you, and/or give their opinions on it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much, Billie, for all the information and carb counts. I will file it away and using it as a sort of frosting will keep the counts down low rather than my spoon AND making the smaller version. I can see making the LC doughnut and spooning this over it, or making Linda Sue's coconut bread/cake and using it there as well. The possibilities are endless (now not so sure about glazing pork chops, I may draw the line, )
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
My, this looks like it'll be good, Billie. I don't use it much, but hubby likes chocolate cause and cocoa int he winter. And I, like Tilly, see lots of recipe drizzling possibilities. Filing this one away for sure. Thanks!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Billie....Thanks for sharing your recipe! When using Erythritol, is it powdered or granular?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Billie, I have a question . When are you adding the glucomannan? Are you mixing it with the cocoa at the beginning? Are you using it in the 1/2 recipe without polyd?

OK, that is 3 questions.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Thanks for these, Billie! Sounds so good!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
................... The possibilities are endless (now not so sure about glazing pork chops, I may draw the line, )
Hey, glazing pork chops sounds petty good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Billie....Thanks for sharing your recipe! When using Erythritol, is it powdered or granular?
I use the granular. Works just fine in this. (If all you have is the powdered, it would work, just more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Billie, I have a question . When are you adding the glucomannan? Are you mixing it with the cocoa at the beginning? Are you using it in the 1/2 recipe without polyd?

OK, that is 3 questions.
I mix the gluc into the cocoa, and pwd sweeteners in the beginning. I haven't made anything but the last recipe in bold in a while. I use the Gluc in that one. I don't think you would need it with the polyD.
(I have used the PolyD recipe a few times lately.)
I have not made the Whey Low one in a long time. Not sure if it needs or benefits from the Gluc or not. But I would add it to any other except the PolyD one.
Wow, I just saw that I typed in 1/4 cup Glucomannan!!!! That should be 1/4 tsp!!!!!! (up to maybe 1 tsp, but NOT 1/4 cup!!!!!! I need a mod to fix that for me!!!

You can make half a recipe of any of them by the way.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Well, my answer about the glucomannan & PolyD didn't make much sense did it? I just reread my recipe again. And I did say PolyD & Glucomannan! Really can't remember tho if I have actually ever used both! Sorry for the confusion!

I HAVE used it with the last recipe I posted, and I didn't type it into that one.

And it is late now, and I'm starting to really have a hard time focusing. So I had better wrap this up before I make more boo boos.

Again, I apologize for all the confusion!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Well, my answer about the glucomannan & PolyD didn't make much sense did it? I just reread my recipe again. And I did say PolyD & Glucomannan! Really can't remember tho if I have actually ever used both! Sorry for the confusion!

I HAVE used it with the last recipe I posted, and I didn't type it into that one.

And it is late now, and I'm starting to really have a hard time focusing. So I had better wrap this up before I make more boo boos.

Again, I apologize for all the confusion!
Any chance you could retype the last recipe, the one you say you use quite often? Yes, I am confused at this point, thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie, you crack me up.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Here ya go Tilly.....

1/4 c E/X blend (˝ & ˝)(1/2 cup E if you don't use X)
1/4 tsp Stevia pwd (pure)
1 pkg Sweet One
1/4 tsp Glucamannan

Be sure to use a good brand of Stevia (and that is the pure extract). If you use one with fillers, you will need to make equivalent changes.
Basically you will probably want about a 1 1/2 cup sugar equivalent total sweetener (or more for sweeter syrup). Taste as it gets hot, and see if you need more sweetener. This is a bitter sweet chocolate syrup as written.

Mix dry ingredients together, and slowly (stirring) hot water & mix well. Cook either in micro or on stove top.

Note: if you can tolerate the PolyD, and have it on hand, the addition of 1 TBsp PolyD is a good addition for "texture" & can replace the Gluc. I have made this version without either, but adding 1 or the other does help.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to Cheri for fixing the Gluc amount in the first post for me!!! You a sweetie!

DrJ, I live up to my "name" (Screen name) way too often!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hence all the questions about how to get 1/4 CUP of gluc into this syrup. Makes much more sense now!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Hence all the questions about how to get 1/4 CUP of gluc into this syrup. Makes much more sense now!
Doesn't it tho?!!! Sorry about all teh confusion! I sure hope everyone who has copied, written, saved this recipe comes back & sees this!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for clarifying this for all of us!!!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

You're welcome! Hope you like it, if you try it.
Sorry it was so mixed up & confusing!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Anyone got a calorie count on this for those of us that calories matter?

Thanks, the recipe looks awesome!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Beeb, here are the nutrition facts from Master Cook for the recipe that I posted last:
@ 2 TBsps
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 22 Calories; trace Fat (20.6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 20mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
(There are about 30 if you use the PolyD.)

Of course depending on the sweetener you use, it might be higher if you use more sweetener. It wouldn't change is you added Sweetzfree (or similar) for the extra sweetener. And I don't think it would change if you used extra Stevia.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-30-2011 at 09:31 PM..