Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Diluting Pure Sucralose

Today I received .25 oz of pure sucralose powder. My first option is to dilute it with distilled water so that 1 drop = 1 tsp (same as Sweetzfree). Since sucralose is 600x as sweet as sugar, and there are 3648 drops per cup, I calculate that if I dilute 1 TBS of sucralose in a half cup of water, I'll be all set.

Alternatively, I could mix the sucralose in with Erythritol, which is 70% as sweet as sugar. 1/16 tsp of sucralose is as sweet as a cup of sugar. Thus, if I mixed 1/16 tsp of sucralose with about 4 cups of Erythritol, it would be about as sweet as sugar. I would use the food processor to mix them, but I'm not sure how evenly it would be distributed.

My searches on this topic have not matched my calculations. Has anyone else done this, and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Al
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Al, you might like to look through this thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...d-splenda.html
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I have purchased the sucralose powder to make my own liquid I called the company I puchased it from they told me to mix three parts warm water to one parts sucralose powder. I'm not sure if that is the same as Sweetzfree or not. Try searching in the recipe section and on google the findings of research probably will come up for the best mixes.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
locarbman has done so much research and experimentation on such things. hopefully he will see this, but you might want to check if he's been online lately and at least message him personally about it. he is very helpful!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
locarbman has done so much research and experimentation on such things. hopefully he will see this, but you might want to check if he's been online lately and at least message him personally about it. he is very helpful!
Lowcarbman is part of the discussion in the above thread. His knowledge is very helpful.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Whoa, check it out -- I second the suggestion to read the thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...d-splenda.html if not for the amazingly detailed information then at least to read an lively and amusing back-and-forth between scott123 and Kevinpa. I miss them both!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Whoa, check it out -- I second the suggestion to read the thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...d-splenda.html if not for the amazingly detailed information then at least to read an lively and amusing back-and-forth between scott123 and Kevinpa. I miss them both!
As well as the argument betweeen Kevin and Bobo which was very interesting. I may be wrong, but I always thought this thread might have been the reason that Bobo left LCF. I've missed him also.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks.

The problem in that thread is that I haven't found anywhere that where it converts to "drops." I want one drop to be equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar.

Also, I haven't found any info on whether mixing a small amount of the sucralose (e.g. 1/16 tsp) into a large amount of erythritol (e.g. 4 cups) is feasible. Will it be distributed well, and will it stay distributed, or will some teaspoons of the resulting stuff be sweeter than others.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I understand your question. I'm getting mine from a place on the internet.

I call them to see if they would send the dilution formula with it. They said yes.

So if you find it on the internet with pure sucralose in your search it may come up.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Al, I guess you will just have to do some experimenting on your own using some info from the thread. I am almost finished with a bottle of liquid Splenda I bought from someone in Australia in 2004! This stuff is 1/4 tsp equals 1 cup sugar which is about 20 drops so it is hard to figure what one drop equals. I usually just drop it and taste as I go. I will have to decide whether to order the liquid Splenda from Netrition or get some of the concentrated powder from Ebay. I may get both. I have some of that concentrated powder (probably the same as you have) which I got in a little plastic bag before I got the stuff in 2004 and it is still good. I kept it for a long time without using it but now that it is more available, I'm using it up. I use 1/8 tsp of that for 1 cup sugar. It is the purest tasting sucralose I've ever used and I like it for baking.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I exchanged emails with the eBay source for my pure sucralose:

ME: I just received 1/4 oz of pure sucralose powder from you. I would like to dilute this in water so that one drop of the solution is equivalent to one tsp of sugar. To how much water should I add the 1/4 oz of sucralose?

THEM: You need to mix 1 part sucralose to 5 parts water. The solution should be completely mixed without any settling. This should give you the desired strength of 1 drop = 1 teaspoon.

I wrote back and asked if this was by weight or volume, but didn't get an answer. Also, their formula is very different from my calculations.

I was hoping to avoid the need for experiments, which requires that I can accurate compare the sweetness of, say, coffee .
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Resident crazy dog lady

Sucralose Refractometer Testing ;-)

May be some help in this one.

Last edited by sistertzu; 10-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
Thanks.

The problem in that thread is that I haven't found anywhere that where it converts to "drops." I want one drop to be equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar.

Also, I haven't found any info on whether mixing a small amount of the sucralose (e.g. 1/16 tsp) into a large amount of erythritol (e.g. 4 cups) is feasible. Will it be distributed well, and will it stay distributed, or will some teaspoons of the resulting stuff be sweeter than others.
You may never be able to get it precise enough to have 1 drop equal 1 tsp. Also, if you mix the sucralose with erythritol, you will probably have to stir or shake it up every time you use it to be sure it is evenly mixed. I do that with flour mixes. I always shake up the flour mix each time I use it to be sure all ingredients are evenly mixed.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Resident crazy dog lady

I saved this recipe for my own personal use, not sure who made it up or I would give them credit. This is substitute for 1 cup sugar.

Mix well

1 Cup Erythritol
1/8 teaspoon Stevia
1/16 teaspoon powdered Sucalose
Old 10-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Resident crazy dog lady

I suggest using warm water to mix with the sucralose powder as the first time I mixed it with room temperature water it stayed cloudy. I put the whole bottle in a glass of hot water to bring the temperature up and then it went clear.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Al I pulled it up on google and got the place. Call them and they will give you the formula. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Today I received .25 oz of pure sucralose powder. My first option is to dilute it with distilled water so that 1 drop = 1 tsp (same as Sweetzfree).
Hi Al ;-)

My Sucralose refractometer test of Sweetzfree Liquid Sucralose indicates a claimed strength of 192 times sugar using 26 grams Sucralose powder per 100 milliliters of water:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...g-results.html

Sweetzfree: (Price per 1floz (30ml) bottle = $18.00)
Ingredients: Purified water, 100% pure Sucralose
Label: “ผ teaspoon (25 drops) = 1 cup sugar; 1 drop = 1 rounded teaspoon sugar, 1 ounce = 24 cups sugar”
Reference Website: "1 Ounce, the equivalent of 24 cups of sugar"
[FONT=Arial]From my recent order (1/24/2009) fact sheet " I will be happy to respond to all requests or comments. Diane

Label Results: Grams = 26, Milliliters = 100, Strength = 192 times sugar

Website Results: Grams = 26, Milliliters = 100, Strength = 192 times sugar

2/20/2009 (Freshly opened bottle)

Test Results: Grams = 24.7, Milliliters = 100, Strength = 182.626 times sugar

Price per 1 cup Sugar Equivalence = $0.79”

To create an equivalent strength with ผ ounce of powder, I would mix your ผ ounce of Sucralose powder in 5.5 teaspoons water:

.25oz = 7.09 grams (28.35g per ounce / 4)

A 26%w/v (weight/volume) Liquid Sucralose concentration (Sweetzfree equivalent concentration) requires 26g Sucralose powder mixed in 100 ml water.

Using a ratio: 26g is to 100ml water as 7.09g is to Xml water; cross multiplying we get X = 7.09*100/26; X = 27.27ml water

Using the Online Volume Conversion site:

27.27 milliter = 5.5 Teaspoon[US]

Therefore 5.5 teaspoons water mixed with .25oz Sucralose powder will yield a concentration of 26% w/v Liquid Sucralose at a strength of 192 times sugar where 1/4t = 1c sugar equivalence.

Hope this helps…locarbman ;-)

PS: Thanks ravenrose and judytab... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-16-2011 at 02:51 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Holy crap Batman!

Locarbman that was ridiculously beautiful!!! Like beautiful mind beautiful!!!

I wish I could do stuff like that!!!! Cudos sir!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

OK, thanks, here's what I did:

I wanted to try both methods, so first I took 1/16 tsp from my 1/4 ounce container, added it to one cup of granulated erythritol, spun it in the food processor, and poured it into a jar.

I then poured the rest of the 1/4 ounce into a teaspoon measure, and confirmed that there was about 1.3 teaspoons of the stuff. I added that to five teaspoons of water that I'd boiled in the microwave.

I'll test this with my bioassay. That is, I'll have my wife add the usual one drop of the resulting solution to her cup of coffee, and let me know if it is the correct sweetness.

-----------------------

Price Comparison:

Assuming 76 drops per teaspoon, my 5 tsp solution yields the equivalent of 380 tsp of sugar (76*5), or 7.9 cups of sugar equivalence. Since I paid $7.95 for it,

Price per 1 cup Sugar Equivalence = $1.01

OR, assuming that my solution is equivalent to the EZ-Sweetz:

Online price of 6 tsp (1 oz) of EZ-Sweetz: $12.99
Online price of 6 tsp mixed as above: $8.69 (6/5.5 * 7.95).

I had expected bigger savings, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra bother of mixing, etc.

Last edited by PianoAl; 10-16-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Holy crap Batman!

Locarbman that was ridiculously beautiful!!! Like beautiful mind beautiful!!!

I wish I could do stuff like that!!!! Cudos sir!
LOL! Thanks Pooticus... ;-)

Just thought I would add that if you have a scale, you may weigh the number of ounces of Sucralose powder you wish to use, convert to grams and enter the gram weight into the '26%w/v ratio' to determine the amount of water to mix with your sucralose powder...for the easiest to use (1/4t = 1 cup of sugar equivalence) Liquid Sucralose solution... ;-)

Using a ratio: 26g is to 100ml water as (your gram weight) is to Xml water; cross multiplying we get X = (your gram weight)*100/26; X = (required) ml water.

Then convert the milliliters to teaspoon equivalents... ;-)

Beautiful Mind!...now I've heard everything! LOL!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
from bobo

Quote:
2)This is my preferred sweetener blend: (1) Cup Erythritol, (1) Splenda Quick Pack, and (1/4) Teaspoon Stevia.
I keep this mixed up in a canister. I love this blend, it works in everything I have used it in. One Splenda Quick Pack equals 1 cup of sugar.

Last edited by shadowzip; 10-16-2011 at 06:08 PM..
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Price Comparison:

Assuming 76 drops per teaspoon, my 5 tsp solution yields the equivalent of 380 tsp of sugar (76*5), or 7.9 cups of sugar equivalence. Since I paid $7.95 for it,

Price per 1 cup Sugar Equivalence = $1.01

OR, assuming that my solution is equivalent to the EZ-Sweetz:

Online price of 6 tsp (1 oz) of EZ-Sweetz: $12.99
Online price of 6 tsp mixed as above: $8.69 (6/5.5 * 7.95).

I had expected bigger savings, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra bother of mixing, etc.
Hi again ;-)

You might take a look at my Refractometer Test #8. The cheapest on-line source I have found for Sucralose powder is $38 per 2 ounces. A Sweetzfree equivalent concentration can be created by mixing a 2 ounce (pre measured) packet of Quick Sweet Sucralose powder in 1 cup less 4 teaspoons of water for a price per cup of sugar equivalence at ~$0.20...much better than most commercial products...

The only cheaper product I have found is Neotame powder which calculates to ~$0.02 per cup of sugar equivalence. Discussed in my Sucralose Refractometer Testing reference above...(at the bottom) as Sucralose alternative Neotame... ;-)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Locarbman you're a real sweetie, but you make my head hurt!!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Locarbman you're a real sweetie, but you make my head hurt!!
Ahhh Judy, I’m so sorry… I remember when my sister was confronted with occasional vagaries of life, I told her to repeat over and over “It just doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter”. She has told me that this has helped her immensely… ;-)

BTW, Al, your 5 teaspoon solution should have ~20 cups of sugar equivalence (5 teaspoons solution at ผ teaspoon equals 1 cup of sugar equivalence (5*4) ) for a ‘Price for 1 cup of sugar equivalence’ of ~ $0.40 ($7.49 / 20). I find drops are not a sufficiently accurate physical volume measure to use in calculating strength...just FYI

PS: What was the verdict of your "bioassay"? ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-19-2011 at 03:12 AM..
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
Therefore 5.5 teaspoons water mixed with .25oz Sucralose powder will yield a concentration of 26% w/v Liquid Sucralose at a strength of 192 times sugar where 1/4t = 1c sugar equivalence.
[/FONT]
Thanks to all your "figuring" and the fact that you boiled it all down to .25 oz Sucralose to 5.5 t. water, I was finally able to make my own liquid Splenda. Now THAT is a recipe I can understand! THANK YOU!!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Lowcarbman you're the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your calculations. It helps us all immensely.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
PS: What was the verdict of your "bioassay"? ;-)
Thumbs up. She said it was indistinguishable from the EZ-Sweetz.

The main reason for the head-swimming complexity the mixed weight/volume/English/Metric/teaspooons/tablespoons/cups systems we are using.

If I weren't feeling lazy, I'd create something like this:

Amount of Sucralose:
x tsp
or
y grams
or
z ounces
or
a milliliters

Amount of Water
n tsp
or
o tbs
or
p milliliters
or
q milligrams

Last edited by PianoAl; 10-24-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Al,

Glad to hear your solution is working well!

Good idea!

This may help those without a scale. A little rounding up or down for the teaspoon's of water required shouldn't have too much effect on the solution strength, although some may wish to rely upon conversion to drops... ;-)

Mixing Liquid Sucralose (26%w/v Solutions):

….Teaspoons …… = Grams……..Requires…….Requires........Cups
….Sucralose……..Sucralose….….Milliliters…...Teaspoo ns......Sugar
…..Powder…….….Powder…..……Water……….Water.........Equivalence
….(13.7t/oz)….....(28.35g/oz)……………………………….
……..1/4t...…..….…0.5g…….……….1.9ml…………0.4t............... 1.6
……..1/3t...…..…….0.7g...…………...2.7ml…………0.6t............ ....2.4
……..1/2t……..……..1g……………...3.8ml…………0.8t................3 .2
……..2/3t……..…….1.4g..…………...5.4ml…………1.1t............... ..4.4
……..3/4t……..…….1.6g..…………...6.2ml…………1.3t............... ..5.2
………1t.……..…….2.1g...…………...8.1ml...………1.6t........ .........6.4
………2t.……..…….4.1g...…………..15.8ml..………3.2t......... .......12.8
………3t.……..…….6.2g...…………..23.8ml..………4.8t......... .......19.2

…...Ounces. …….= Grams….…..Requires.…….Requires........Cups
….Sucralose…….Sucralose….....Milliliters.…...Teasp oons......Sugar
…...Powder………Powder…….…Water….…….Water.........Equivalence
………………….(28.35g/oz)…………………………….
…….1/4oz…………..7.1g...……..….27.31…..……….5.5t............ ....42.8
…….1/3oz…………..9.5g...……..….36.54…..……….7.4t............ ....57.1
…….1/2oz…………14.2g...……..….54.62…..………11.1t............. ..85.6
…….2/3oz…………18.9g...……..….72.69…..………14.8t............. ..114.2
…….3/4oz…………21.3g...……..….81.92…..………16.6t............. .128.4
……..1oz………..…28.4g..……..…109.23…..………22.2t........ .......171.3
……..2oz………..…56.7g..……..…218.08…..………44.2t........ .......342.5
……..3oz………..…85.1g..……..…327.31…..………66.4t........ .......513.8

Dedicated to Judy and Esther! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-25-2011 at 04:19 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Ooops! Missed editing deadline ;-(
Actual Cups of Sugar Equivalence for Teaspoon Values:

….Teaspoons …… = Grams……..Requires…….Requires........Cups
….Sucralose……..Sucralose….….Milliliters…...Teaspoo ns......Sugar
…..Powder…….….Powder…..……Water……….Water.........Equivalence
….(13.7t/oz)….....(28.35g/oz)……………………………….
……..1/4t...…..….…0.5g…….……….1.9ml…………0.4t............... 3.13
……..1/3t...…..…….0.7g...…………...2.7ml…………0.6t............ ....4.17
……..1/2t……..……..1g……………...3.8ml…………0.8t................6 .25
……..2/3t……..…….1.4g..…………...5.4ml…………1.1t............... .8.33
……..3/4t……..…….1.6g..…………...6.2ml…………1.3t............... ..9.39
………1t.……..…….2.1g...…………...8.1ml...………1.6t........ .......12.5
………2t.……..…….4.1g...…………..15.8ml..………3.2t......... ......25.0
………3t.……..…….6.2g...…………..23.8ml..………4.8t......... .......37.5
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!