Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Blackberry Cobbler (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/740158-blackberry-cobbler.html)

buttoni 10-11-2011 06:36 PM

Blackberry Cobbler

Made this tonight at husband's special request. It's my first low-carb cobbler and I'm pleased. :yummy: I was astounded I got the sweetness about right, as that's hard to do with blackberries IMO. I purposely made a small 5x7 cobbler as I'm avoiding desserts these days. I just sample to see how they come out and to decide if they are good enough to post on my website. :) http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/011.jpg
The full recipe is here: Blackberry Cobbler Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

And there's the pie crust dough leftover in my freezer for another cobbler or some other use!

Low Carb Librarian 10-11-2011 08:11 PM

You rock!

sistertzu 10-11-2011 10:06 PM

Blackberry are my total favorite, looks yummy!

buttoni 10-12-2011 06:26 AM

This was really good. The remaining two servings won't last the day today, I'm sure. I've always love anything made with blackberries.

pooticus 10-12-2011 08:28 AM

Dang. If it isn't one thing it's another!

I'm allergic to both almonds AND flax! :mad:

So almost all the recipes that come out have...you guessed it? Either almonds or flax in soooo large a quantity that subbing out something really changes the original texture.

I've been watching your recipes using pie crusts. And I get more and more excited because they look so flakey! Do you have any suggestions or tries with a pie crust where the flax is subbed with something else?

Would/could you try making it (since I'm not very good with piecrusts anyway) and see if you can make one like this using the CQ and Oat Fiber and subbing away the flax? I'd like to see and hear how your's would come out with a flax sub?

Please?

See, I'm thinking that the 1/3c flax could be subbed with a 1:1 ratio of maybe sesame seed meal and chia seed meal but I just don't know! Or maybe pumpkin seed/sesame seed meal for 1/3c flax? Dunno.

sistertzu 10-12-2011 08:41 AM

I think chia meal and sesame meal would work great. Have you tried coconut flour?

drjlocarb 10-12-2011 09:48 AM

pooti, have you tried Kevens pie crust? Carbalose and rws?

Soobee 10-12-2011 12:49 PM

I found this recipe for a coconut pie crust on a blog. I haven't tried it.
Paleo Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Flour Crust Tomoko
Crust

1 1/2 cups organic coconut flour
6 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly warm
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 packets of Stevia
Pumpkin filling:
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
10 packets of Stevia (equal to about 1/2 cups sugar
Filling
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups organic pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups organic coconut cream
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add all the ingredients for the crust to a food processor and pulse until combined; it should feel like wet sand, and just come together. Spread the mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie pan, using your finger tips or the flat bottom of a glass. Firmly press the mixture over the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until the crust is light brown and firm to the touch, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Whisk together the eggs, yolks and Stevia in a large bowl. Add the butter, pumpkin, coconut cream, spices, salt and vanilla seeds and whisk to combine. Strain the mixture into a bowl. Pour the strained mixture into the baked pie crust and bake until almost set, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove and let come to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.

buttoni 10-12-2011 04:35 PM

I wouldn't increase oat fiber, for sure! Every time I use more than 1/4 to 1/3 cup in anything, it comes out dry, chalky and crumbly. Maybe increase the CQ by 3 T. and perhaps add in 2 T. Resistant Wheat Starch (or 4 more T. CQ and 1 T. coconut flour), to kill the CQ taste. I just don't care for much coconut flour in anything. I can taste it no matter how little I put in a recipe. I love fresh coconut in a lot o baked goods, but I don't want everything I bake to taste like coconut. But a tiny bit mixed with other flour subs can be VERY flavor/texture beneficial IMO. I'll try to remember to try that next time I make a crust. If it's any good, I'll post it here as a separate. Stay tuned Pooticus. :)

Jennifer Eloff 10-13-2011 10:12 AM

What a thing of beauty!

buttoni 10-13-2011 01:03 PM

It wasn't beautiful for long, Jennifer. We decimated it pretty fast. It was TOOO good. :)

Jennifer Eloff 10-13-2011 02:09 PM

Hey, that's fun to do! :laugh:

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 10-13-2011 02:37 PM

Gosh that looks good. I'm going to have to try it soon. Julie