Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Glad DH liked it Char--so easy and low in carbs and calories. There are more complicated versions that add oil and flour (coconut usually), but I am always looking for some calorie bang for my buck!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #182
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Ouis, I made the other ones that are on here right now, coconut flour, oil, water, baking powder, psyllium. They're also very good - we used them to make soft tacos last night.

BUT these are just so dead easy, so low "everything" and I can't wait to make those enchiladas!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #183
Gadget Gal

ENCHILADAS!

I made green chicken enchiladas with Ouis' recipe. DANG they're so good. The texture, of course, is slightly different than regular tortillas, but they rolled up nicely and behaved perfectly under a blanket of green enchilada sauce and shredded cheddar. DH and I are SO HAPPY!

Thanks, Ouis, these things are just AWESOME.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I had my husband stop and get egg whites. He grabbed egg beaters. They say 99% egg whites. Will these work? I don't want to waste. Thank you.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #185
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Give it a try....it's not wasting. Put the equivalent of a single egg, which would be closer to 2 egg whites and the psyllium. The recipe is very forgiving - I've been all over the board, adding buttermilk, a bit of oat fiber, you name it. You do have to add enough liquid so it spreads out in the pan.

With a bit of baking powder, they can also make a decent faux pancake which my 5 yo daughter likes because they don't absorb the syrup and disintegraty. She now calls them "mommy pancakes that don't get mushy".

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Give it a try....it's not wasting. Put the equivalent of a single egg, which would be closer to 2 egg whites and the psyllium. The recipe is very forgiving - I've been all over the board, adding buttermilk, a bit of oat fiber, you name it. You do have to add enough liquid so it spreads out in the pan.

With a bit of baking powder, they can also make a decent faux pancake which my 5 yo daughter likes because they don't absorb the syrup and disintegraty. She now calls them "mommy pancakes that don't get mushy".
Oh how sweet. When you say a bit of baking powder, how much maybe 1/8 tsp.? My daughter would love to have pancakes too.

Thanks,
Mindy
Old 02-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Mindy - For Lindsey - I use 2 egg whites, a splash of buttermilk (you could use water or milk but I have buttermilk on hand for my faux buttermilk biscuits) and then about 1-2 T. of psyllium and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. I also toss in a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. This is such a forgiving recipe. If it's too thick by the time you want to pour it in the pan, add liquid.

Let me know how it goes with the eggbeaters, if you make it. I might try it with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white and see how it is goes. I just hate throwing out the egg yolks. I might start freezing them for when we make homemade ice cream this summer. But, since she's been eating them 2-4 times a week, that could be a lot of egg yolks by summer.

I need to find more egg yolk recipes.

Last edited by sbarr; 02-07-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

sbarr,

Is that your cutie in the picture? She looks like she is having fun. I will probably be trying the egg beaters this weekend. I will let you know what I figure out. Thanks for the recipe.

Mindy
Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes - that' s my little miss (we were at a fall Festival, i think she was 4 at the time and my friend was kind enough to take a picture of me leaning forward which is a great way to subtract a chin). Yours is adorable. She has such an impish look...very playful looking.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #190
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ok, I'm gonna try these again. I have the NOW psyllium husks at this point and All Whites Egg Whites. Do I measure the psyllium husks as the whole husks and add it to the recipe? Or do I measure, then grind the husks to a fine powder?

TIA all!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Just use the psyllium husks is is - nothing special needed. This is truly one of the easiest and most flexible recipes possible.

As you know, psyllium absorbs liquid quickly, so you might need to add more before you pour in the pan.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #192
the condiment queen

Thanks sbarr!!! I made them and think they rock!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
I bet oat fiber would work in place of the psyllium - in everyone's experience it sounds like this works better with whole psyllium husks? I've never used them either, so I'm wondering if it's one of those ingredients to put through the coffee grinder or not...
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
ENCHILADAS!

I made green chicken enchiladas with Ouis' recipe. DANG they're so good. The texture, of course, is slightly different than regular tortillas, but they rolled up nicely and behaved perfectly under a blanket of green enchilada sauce and shredded cheddar. DH and I are SO HAPPY!

oh god enchilada recipe nao!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #195
Gadget Gal

Very very simple - make a recipe of Ouis' tortillas, let sit overnight in fridge to soften up - makes rolling easier.

Get ya some chicken from whatever source you like. I used some B/S chicken breasts, poached them in beer, cooled and shredded. Costco or other rotisserie chicken would be really good, and Costco actually sells their rotisserie chicken breast meat separately, in a 2 pound vacuum-sealed pack.

Get a 28 oz can of green enchilada sauce. I prefer La Victoria, but Las Palmas is OK too.

I made 6 enchiladas in a 7 x 11" pyrex pan. Sprayed pan with olive oil cooking spray.

Pour enchilada sauce into a pie plate. Dip tortilla in sauce, fill with chicken/onion/cheese/whatever you like, roll and place in dish. Repeat til you have as many enchiladas as you want. Cover top with leftover sauce. Make sure ALL the tortillas are covered - you don't want any uncovered tortilla sticking out!

Put shredded cheese on top of THAT. Place dish in preheated 350* oven til hot, about 20 minutes or so. When you see bubbling around the edges and all the cheese is good and melted - it's ready!

Let cool about 10 minutes, then dig in.

You can do the same for red enchiladas, just use the red sauce and browned ground meat or shredded cooked beef or whatever you like.

Simple, quite low carb, delicious. Leftovers are even better!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #196
the condiment queen

Delicious Char and hugs friend!

So I'm a little embarrassed it took so long to make these again after the first epic fail. I had some "psyllium powder" - er. no. - I had some sand, sold as psyllium powder that I used the first time and it was sooooooo gritty it put me off my "feed" for days. So I just thought, hmmmm. Different strokes for different folks. You know?

But I got some Now Psyllium Husks and let them sit around for months while I went to find my big girl panties. And holy crap! I made these yesterday and they worked so great for my Fast Day breakfast. I made a breakfast taco with one and it was only 100 calories and like 4g nc. OMG.

So flexible, thin, taste really good and you could also appreciate the filling. NO, repeat NO grittiness whatsoever and easy to make once I mastered my fear-of-crepes thing I contend with...

I only made a small batch:

1 Tbsp psyllium husks
1/3 c All Whites
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp granulated onion powder

Mix it all up. Click your heels and make 2 very quickly.

Oh and they hold up great to soggy fillings!

Then if that wasn't enough I made them again this morning and used:

1 TBSP Psyllium Husks
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Oat Fiber
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup All Whites

I loved them even more. So quick and easy. It made 3 tortillas for 34 cals and like 1g net carbs?

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Poot thank you for your single-serve variation! I have a bunch of small amounts of ingredients and need single serve recipes to use them up I always like having single recipes for mornings. How did the oat fiber change the second batch's results? I have a new container of that stuff! Did the baking powder make them puffy?

ordering PHusk currently. there's some Maria Mind Body Health recipes calling for PHusk POWDER so I assume my uber-sharp coffee grinder can create the latter from the former :P Going to try these once I use up my mama lupe tortillas. Excited for the variety of uses! I don't use davinci syrups cause I really dislike the taste of sucralose, but I have vanilla stevia liquid that would work for sweet varieties I am sure. Also found that creme fraiche mixed with xylitol honey works REALLY nicely for a sweet topping on fruit or low carb baked goods.

I'm also currently needing egg whites for oopsie/floopsie experiments and debating whether its better to get whole eggs or buying some carton egg whites (going to trader joe's next though, hope they have carton whites..) Do carton whites work in oopsies?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Hi Mindy - For Lindsey - I use 2 egg whites, a splash of buttermilk (you could use water or milk but I have buttermilk on hand for my faux buttermilk biscuits) and then about 1-2 T. of psyllium and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. I also toss in a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. This is such a forgiving recipe. If it's too thick by the time you want to pour it in the pan, add liquid.

Let me know how it goes with the eggbeaters, if you make it. I might try it with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white and see how it is goes. I just hate throwing out the egg yolks. I might start freezing them for when we make homemade ice cream this summer. But, since she's been eating them 2-4 times a week, that could be a lot of egg yolks by summer.

I need to find more egg yolk recipes.
Well, I tried it with the egg beaters. I personally thought they were a bit eggy. However, I have not had them with strictly egg whites so I have no basis for comparison. I intend to get a carton of egg whites next time I am at the store to try them that way.

I will say this though, they are very, very easy to make. I am sorry I dragged my feet for so long making them. I look forward to working with them more. Now I just need to try your pancake version!

Honestly, these have already saved my husband. He thinks that having these will truly make the LC way of life easier. And for that I am absolutely grateful. Thank you Ouizoid!

Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 02-14-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #199
the condiment queen

Hi Emita! I know what you mean about having a bunch of little things left around that need using up! I'm kinda at the stage in life where I just don't have the energy to stand and cook that long, so the single and double servings of these delicious life-savers really work! Ouis' original recipe rocks the casbah. I'm just one of those tweakers that can't keep things simple! I really loved what the oat fiber/coconut flour/baking powder brought to the table. I thought it was even more tortilla-like and they did puff up a bit. Try it and see what you think!

Iwantless - I think the egg whites are definitely the way to go. I actually use a product called All Whites for dishes like this so that I don't blow through my eggs too quickly. I keep both on hand!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
ENCHILADAS!

I just gobbled down a nice serving of green chicken enchiladas, made per Charski's specs. Ingenious idea. It was delicious. I added a wee bit of sour cream. It was heavenly, easy to put together and a great way to use up some leftover chicken. Thanks, Ouizoid and Charski.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

getting some husks monday - has anyone tried toasting or re-frying these for chips? I need an excuse to make guacamole.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
getting some husks monday - has anyone tried toasting or re-frying these for chips? I need an excuse to make guacamole.
HA HA!
Oh please try it and report back!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I make chips with these - I put one on a napkin on a plate and microwave for 1 minute. (time will vary according to the strength of your microwave) They curl up a little and get very crispy - break in half, then each half in three or four pieces. These are very sturdy chips that are great for taking to a mexican restaurant to dip in salsa or guac! You can play around with spices to make them more flavorful, but since I just use them as carriers for salsa and guac they are fine kinda plain for me.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #204
the condiment queen

Penguin, do you use the original recipe?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Yes, the original recipe - haven't tried your variation yet but plan to do so, it sounds great!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #206
the condiment queen

Thanks! Going to try your cooking technique on the original recipe today. So stoked! Can't believe I waited so long to add psyllium into my life! Oh so many recipes, so little time!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brr9270
Stats: 205/193/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
I finally tried these, and they weren't bad. A little eggy tasting, more textured like a crepe to me. The first one looked thick, so I proceeded to add a little water. Wish I had not. They became next to impossible to flip. The first one was decent though. I will try again and not alter the batter. They deflate when cooling. I had one with roast beef and provolone with spicy mustard.
brr9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

So tonight I made these tortillas again. This time I used a bit of garlic and salt with the egg beaters and it seemed to get rid of the "eggy" taste. I still want to try it with 100% egg whites but these were very good. I also figured out that I like them a bit thinner then I had been making them. I must say this is a definite winner!

My dinner tonight was tilapia tacos. Yummy! Induction friendly. Sweet fish taco love. My low carbin' life just got even better!

Mindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140217_190738 (1).jpg (60.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brr9270 View Post
I finally tried these, and they weren't bad. A little eggy tasting, more textured like a crepe to me. The first one looked thick, so I proceeded to add a little water. Wish I had not. They became next to impossible to flip. The first one was decent though. I will try again and not alter the batter. They deflate when cooling. I had one with roast beef and provolone with spicy mustard.
...about that flipping thing....
I was reading about the 'process' of homemade crepes with real wheat flour...
....they described having 2 heated pans so that one could "flip" the crepe into the other pan,
........ thus not actually using a spatula or touching it with ones hands.
That would be more labor intensive...but wonder if it would work?
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Then if that wasn't enough I made them again this morning and used:

1 TBSP Psyllium Husks
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Oat Fiber
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup All Whites

I loved them even more. So quick and easy. It made 3 tortillas for 34 cals and like 1g net carbs?
Thanks Poot! As soon as my oat fiber arrives from netrition, I am going to try this adaptation.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote