Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Cracker Recipe

I saw a recipe on the web for crackers. Several people tried the recipe, and every one of the reviews said how amazingly wonderful the crackers are. One person broke some of them into small pieces, added sweetener and whatever she uses for milk, and ate it as cereal. She said it was also good that way. To make cereal, I would suggest adding sweetener and maybe cinnamon or whatever to the cracker recipe, maybe make half cereal and half crackers.

The recipe was posted by a woman who lives in Norway, so it was written in grams. Another lady translated the grams to ounces. Another lady told how many crackers the recipe makes and gave the count for carbs, calories, etc. I will post all 3 of those below, once I finish my rambling.

The recipe calls for Phyllium Hulls, I guess that is what it is called in Norway. In the U.S. it is called Whole Phyllium Husks. Some health food stores carry them, I got mine at Netrition, but it isn't an easy task finding them there. I had to do a search for phyllium husks. Two items came up, the NOW Phyllium Husks is the one I clicked. That took me to a picture of a bottle of phyllium husk fiber, but that isn't the right thing. Below that picture is a short list of items. Phyllium Husks, Whole is the correct ingredient.

Be cautioned that phyllium husks is an ingredient in Metamucil and is used to increase your trips to the bathroom. So if you decide to make these wonderful crackers, remember not to gorge yourself on them.

Phyllium husks can absorb many times it's weight in liquid, so the lady from Norway said the mixture becomes hard in about 5 minutes, so if it gets too hard, add a tiny amount of water. And the last thing... use 2 cookie sheets and spread it thin.
-----------------------------------------------------
Recipe came from optimist from Hovden, Norway

This recipe will fill 2 baking trays and if you cut each baking tray in 10 pieces, each cracker is 1,44 carbs. Both the baking trays is in the oven at the same time.

100 gram almonds
200 gram sesame
50 gram flaxseed
1/2 ts salt
2 topped ss Psyllium hulls
1/2 liter cold water

I put the almonds in my Food Processor and chop them really fine. Then I mix everything in a bowl just using a spoon. Leave it for 5 minutes to make the Psyllium hulls to swell.
I set the oven on 160 degrees celcius hot air.
I put baking paper in 2 baking trays, and lay half of the dough in each baking tray.
I use a spatula to make the dough cover all of the tray. I use a pizzacutter to make 10 pieces in each tray.
I put both of the trays in the oven at the same time using hot air. After about 45 minutes I take them out, seperate the crackers and turns them. Then I put them back in the oven again, but now I have the ovendoor slightly open.
After about 45 minutes the crackers are dry all through and really crispy.
I let them cool on a grate. When they are cooled, I put them in a closed box, and they will stay crispy and tasty for more than a month (mine always been eaten at that time).
patdart translated the baking temperature, and translated grams to ounces.

4 oz almond meal
7 oz sesame seeds
2 oz flaxseed
1/2 t. salt
2 soup spoons of Psyllium Hulls ( probably about 2 T.?)
2 c. water

Bake at 325 degrees
Shanny gave this information:

I got 24 crackers from each pan & they're about the size of regular saltines.

serving size: 1 saltine-size cracker 17g

calories: 45
calories from fat: 34
total fat: 4g
saturated fat: 0g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 0mg
sodium: 27mg
total carbs: 1g
dietary fiber: 1g
sugars 0g
protein: 1g
calcium: 1%
iron: 2%
also a good source of magnesium, copper, manganese & selenium
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
These sound really interesting. I have not seen anything like it on this board. Thank you.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
These sound really good. I'm allergic to flaxseed.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Thanks for this, Widget!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Thank you