Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
The chocolate muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...er-recipe.html
----------------------------
I know when most people see pork rinds as an ingredient, they go 'yuck', then move on. If you do that this time, you'll be missing some cake that is very moist and good. I revised my hamburger bun recipe and made muffin-top muffins. Hope you'll give it a try.

Chocolate Muffins (makes 6)

4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (or flavor of choice)
2 teaspoons glycerine (this helps make it moist)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
8 pkts. Splenda
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pork rind flour

(To make pork rind flour, put the rinds through the food processor, then measure them, then put them through the coffee grinder.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil the wells of a muffin top pan. With an electric mixer, beat all but the flours until well blended. Stir in the flours. Spoon into the muffin wells and bake 8 minutes. Remove from pan at once and cool before frosting.

Frosting

2 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
2 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (or flavor of choice)

Beat with electric mixer. If you like the frosting sweeter, add sweetener to taste.

Ok, I know this is from months ago but I just tried the chocolate muffins, thinking I'd have something for dessert Sunday for diabetic hubby. I use a silicone muffin top pan, the wells of this particular one are 3" diameter. I Also use an oven thermometer and have for Years because my oven runs a little high.

I followed the recipe as written but also added in 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder. The oven was on 350 per the thermometer, etc.. At 8 minutes there's no way I could take the muffins out of the pan, they were still way too wet. So I put them back in for 2 minutes. Same thing. Then tried another 2 minutes. So I was up to 12 minutes and did take them out but they were still a little wet and 'almost' done. I'm not sure where to go from here, how much longer, 2-3 more minutes maybe? I did get them out of the pan Very carefully but 2 sort of fell apart as I put them on the rack. I decided to let them cool and see how they are in the morning. Maybe I should have used my muffin top pans that are 4" diameter instead of this other one, I don't know. We'll see in the morning.

I tasted a piece the fell apart a little bit and it's Very good!

Last edited by watcher513; 09-16-2012 at 01:53 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
I used a standard size muffin pan. I measured it, the wells are a little over 2 1/2" in diameter. As most recipes use large size eggs, that is what I use in all my recipes, so I don't know what the result would be if you used a larger size. Besides the eggs, there isn't much liquid in the batter.

Because oven temps vary, I should have put a baking time on the recipe of 8 to 10 minutes, but it should take no more than 10 in a standard size muffin pan.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I remember when I made these I thought 8 minutes seemed like a short cook time but I was actually happy to see it because my oven seems to run hot and I always end up with a shorter bake time with my baked goods. I did use large eggs because that's what I normally have on hand.

Mine were done in exactly 8 minutes, I used a light metal colored muffin top pan.
Maybe because you used the silicone pan it rquires a longer bake time? I would have probably just kept checking every 2-5 minutes depending on how far along they were, until they finished baking.

Why did you take them out before they were done?

Mine were not too fragile either, I think I let them set for a few mintes after I took them out before I removed them to a cooling rack.

These were so yummy and easy to make. I think I'll make some up today!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 09-16-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to mention, the recipe makes 6 muffins. If you made less than 6, they would require a longer baking time.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I always use large eggs, don't buy anything else. I always use silicone bakeware, have for years and I've never had this problem with the timing, it's always been the same as metal bakeware. It's a 6 cavity Vitalicious muffin top pan, I got from an auction site and it's 3" on the bottom and 3.5" on the top of the cavity - standard size as far as I've seen. Wouldn't a 2.5" cavity pan be more like a Whoopie Pie pan? Widget, you did say it made 6 muffin tops in post #51.

I think I was worried about them over baking and thought they may firm up a little as they cooled, afterall, it had already been 12 minutes, definitely over the time stated (even if it'd said 10 minutes). I didn't try to take them out of the pan until 5-10 minutes after I took them out of the oven. Normally, with silicone bakeware I'd let them cool longer than that. Next time I won't even look at them until 12 minutes and go from there.

I just thought of something, would using blanched almond flour need to be baked longer? That's all I can think of that may contribute to the wetness. I ground up a whole bag of pork rinds last week in my food processor and have them in a Lock&Lock container, then just took out the required amount and reground them in an extra coffee grinder I have for 'other' things.

Anyway, they sure taste good, no matter how they came out.

Last edited by watcher513; 09-16-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

I don't believe blanched almond meal would have to bake longer. A muffin top pan has wells that are about an inch deep and 4" in diameter.

If you made 6 muffins, because you used a pan with larger wells than mine, your muffins would be thinner than mine, so should have taken less time to bake, not more. I'm stumped.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm. My silicone pan is "3" on the bottom and 3.5" on the top of the cavity" and just under (by 1 line) 1/2" deep. I have another metal muffin top pan that's the same width, top and bottom, but is just over 1/2" (by 1 line) deep. Maybe I'll try that one next time.

Another thought. Should I Not keep the ground pork rinds in an airtight container? They seemed awfully 'wet' after I did that 2nd quick grind. I know they are 'fat' but that surprised me a little.

It's all weird so I don't know. I'll just bake longer and watch them next time, because there Will be a next time. Tasty stuff.

edited to add (correction about the 'other' muffin top pan I have) - I also have another set of 2 muffin top pans that are Technique from QVC that I got years ago and they're 4-cavity; 3" bottom and almost 4" at the top. I may try them next time. I only used this other pan because it's a 6 cavity pan and I didn't have to deal with 2 unfilled cavities (which I'd fill with a little water probably since it's not good to bake them unfilled).

Last edited by watcher513; 09-16-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Should I Not keep the ground pork rinds in an airtight container? They seemed awfully 'wet' after I did that 2nd quick grind.
Ah-ha, I think we have stumbled across the culprit here... the pork rinds. They shouldn't be even close to 'wet', they need to be dry so they can absorb some of the liquid in the batter.

I chop pork rinds by the bag and freeze them. You might want to give that method a try. Also, maybe not grind them so fine or you could end up with pork rind butter.

If you use pork rinds that aren't 'wet' I think you'll find that 8 to 10 minutes baking time is all you need.

Last edited by Widget; 09-16-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good Widget, I'll try that. They weren't wet-wet but way more moist than I thought they should be. You shoulda seen me cleaning the grinder, thinking it shouldn't be like this, lol. I may even try it without grinding them the 2nd time just to see how that comes out. Who knows, maybe they were fine enough after I did them in the FP the first time. Interesting possibilities.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I will be trying these out!

Everything that Widget has baked with almond flour and pork rinds,
has turned out fabulous. These chocolate muffins will do nicely
in my 6 cup muffin tins. I also take the bag of plain pork rinds
into my processor and then in a freezer zip lock bag marked pork flour.
They stay very dry in the freezer.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know Barbo, the recipes are great, that's why this stumped me.

Maybe the airtight container is the culprit, but ziplock bags seem to be sort of airtight also...'shrugs'. I ground the whole bag when I did it last week, then just did a quick zip for the 2nd time for the amount needed. I may just save these, put them in a bag and use for breading then get another bag (may have one) and grind them and then put in the freezer for next time.

They do taste really good!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
Widget, just wanted to thank you very much for the recipes! I've been on and off lowcarb for several years, and am now firmly and permanently "on" due to rheumatic illness abd a great rheumatologist who *ordered* me to go lowcarb. <g> I'm on prednisone, and he believes lowcarb is best for people using that drug.

Things are going well, and I haven't missed much of the starchy stuff at all, but this morning I decided to try out your burger bun recipe. Yay! Despite not missing bread, I can't even tell you what a treat it was to have a bun alongside my scrambled eggs and ham. I also recently ordered some W. Farms fruit spreads (haven't arrived yet) and am greatly looking forward to having a bun with "jam" some mornings.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe! I'm looking forward to trying the whoopie pies one of these days.

Now, I need to see if the pork rind crumbs can be sweetened with Truvia and cinnamon and made into a crumb crust. My hubby wants pie! Anyone used them this way with success?
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

I appreciate all of the appreciation you folks express for my recipes.

lene, it is a matter of one's personal taste, of course, but when I want something sweet on bread like peanut butter or butter and fruit spread, I like my sweet bun recipe best for that. It is the same as the hamburger bun recipe, minus the onion powder and garlic powder with a little extra sweetness and cinnamon.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...weet-buns.html
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

I'll definitely be making those! I made the regular ones this morning because I wanted to have something to use for sandwiches tomorrow, but then couldn't resist having one right away (as soon as they cooled to room temp).

Really, what surprised me was the texture. Very nice. I'm pleased as heck with the pork rind flour -- versatile, high fat and protein and basically no carbs. What's not to love? <g> Good stuff. And so much less expensive than the almond flour component (which cost so much Jeff looked like he'd been zappedby a stun gun when he saw the price).

Last edited by lene; 09-23-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: spelling gremlins
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I will add, I don't have a muffin top pan -- what I have looks quite similar, though, and has 6 wells, although they are a bit deeper, I think. I have a burger bun pan I bought from King Arthur Flour online. Very nice pan, and it should work well for buns, whoopie pies, mini cakes...

Am thinking when I make a batch of your sweet buns, I'll definitely use cinnamon, maybe add a touch of Fiori di Sicilia from KAF online, and then make a little cream cheese and powdered sweetener and cream "glaze" with a few drops orange oil added, to have orange rolls. That sounds so good to me right now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Lene, Linda has a pork rind crust for pizza. I wonder if you could lose the Italian seasonings and instead sweeten it for your pie crust.
Pork Rind Pizza Crust Linda
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 cup pork rinds, finely crushed, 2 1/2-3 ounces
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Toppings
Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a 14-inch round pizza pan and slightly going up the sides of the pan. Spray the pizza pan with cooking spray to help the parchment stay put. Place the parchment paper in the pan.
Whisk the cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients except the mozzarella until well combined. Stir in the mozzarella. Drop the dough by large spoonful all over parchment-lined pan. Cover with two sheets of plastic wrap that have been crossed so that the entire surface is covered. With a rolling pin, roll the dough to the edges of the pan making it an even thickness. Remove the plastic wrap. With a rubber spatula, push the dough up and away from the edges of the pan by 1/4-1/2". If the dough goes all the way to the edges, it can bubble over in the oven or go under the parchment paper. Bake at 425║ 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes or chill several hours. Add the toppings and bake at 375║ about 15-20 minutes longer or until the toppings are bubbly and slightly browned.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

hmmmm... Not sure. It would be worth trying, though. I actually made pizza last week using that recipe, and it was a big hit here. I tripled it and ended up with three large pizzas for the three of us, and the guys ate leftover cold pizza happily for a few days. <g>
We decided that'll be our "go to" pizza crust recipe, for sure.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Widget....I made your hamburger buns today, and we just love them. I don't like big bulky hamburger buns, and slicing one of these in half was just perfect. I can take one along in my purse easily. Now that I need to eat gluten free, I have found it difficult to eat out. These buns will help the situation. My DH tasted one also, and I think I will have to keep these on hand for him. He was really impressed! I love the glossy look on the top of the buns. Bravo!!!
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

I was splitting and buttering and garlicing and cheesing up a loaf of Italian bread last night for the guys, and realized I still had one of these buns left. They were having ham and potato soup with garlic cheese bread, and I was having ham and veggies. I split that last bun and buttered, garliced, and cheesed it up, and popped it on the sheet with their bread before broiling. It turned out great, and I really enjoyed having a little cheese bread with my meal.

Need to make another batch of these today, especially since I may not be feeling well for a couple days after doc stuff tomorrow, and having some buns pre-made would be a handy way to get something to eat without effort. Thanks again, Widget.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
These recipes sound great!!
Jeanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I have been very worried about my son, who has diabetes and refuses to go to the doc even though he is out of medicine. He knows he is supposed to eat low carb, but doesn't have much time to cook. His wife is from Thailand so she cooks Thai food for herself, but rarely anything my son can eat, so he has been eating high carb. He also doesn't have much will power and loves sweets, a very bad combination.

Since he already knew how he should be eating, talking to him didn't do much good. Finally I told him I was very worried about him, so I was going to start providing low carb desserts for him, and keeping him supplied in hamburger buns in the hopes that he would start eating low carb again. I figured he could take care of the meat, cheese, eggs and veggies.

Well, it has been a couple of weeks and more work for me, but well worth the effort. He stopped eating bread and only eats the hamburger buns. I take him enough dessert to last 4 days, and he does ration it out. He is now eating low carb again and I am so relieved.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
WIdget you go girl. I love great and involved moms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote