Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I found the trick to making coconut butter a home

At Home, that is!

I have become addicted to coconut butter, but at about $10 per jar it's too expensive to buy very often. This forum and several websites showed me how to make my own at home. You put unsweetened coconut flakes in a food processor and process FOREVER until it becomes coconut butter, much as you would make a nut butter at home.

Well, I have a very old (about 30 years old) mini processor and my first two batches of coconut butter, which took about 30 minutes apiece, threatened to burn out the motor. The noise was horrible. And the resulting coconut butter was grainy and dry. It was a lot of messy work stirring down the coconut until it finally came together as coconut butter.

When I bought my one and only jar of coconut butter, there was a layer of coconut oil on top, but no coconut oil has formed from my homemade batches (a homemade nut butter would ordinarily have oil that would separate like that) So I decided to ADD some coconut oil to my latest batch.

WHAMMO! I had coconut butter in about 5 minutes! Much smoother and more flavorful than my previous homemade batches. It's pretty liquid at first, but the next morning it was solid with a thin layer of coconut oil on top that could either be scraped off or stirred back into the coconut butter if warmed. It was as smooth and tasty as my original jar of Artisana, and cost me about $2 instead of $10. (And I didn't fry my food processor!)

I think I added around 1 scant tablespoon of coconut oil to 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened dried coconut flakes. I put it in the food processor and let it rip until the mixture was smooth and liquid--it only took about 5 minutes. So much easier and better-tasting.

Now if I could just figure out a way to save on buying coconut oil . . . (I prefer not to mail order).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Thank you!

I will have to try this one day.

What do you eat with your coconut butter? Are you eating it alone?
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I eat it by the spoonful sometimes, I warm it and mix it with a square of high cacao dark chocolate for a decadent dessert (very satisfying when the rest of my family gets ice cream!), I mix it into my hot flax meal breakfast, I warm it and spread it on a MIM.

I keep a jar in the office for a quick and satisfying snack (1 or 2 spoonfuls). Love it!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Jan I wonder how this would work wiith a vita-mix . I think when I get some more coconut flakes I'm going to try this. This sounds so wonderful. Thank you.

rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I don't have a vitamix, but what I've heard is that it may be hard to get the coconut butter out of the bottom of the jar. BUT, with the added coconut oil, the coconut butter is VERY liquid after grinding, so I think it will be fine.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I wonder if you can use coconut flour and just add a tad of coconut oil to it and mix?
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
I've been wanting to try coconut butter but the price has always been super ridiculous. I think I'll give your method a try next week.
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I would really like to know how the Vitamix will work too.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I think it will be tricky but you can still do it. I use a soft sided spatula to get my nut butters out. I'm going to make this on friday. I'll let you know how it is in a vita mix.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I've got a vitamix and a Ninja. I'll try them both and give a report in a few days.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
I've got a vitamix and a Ninja. I'll try them both and give a report in a few days.
That would be fabulous I have both and would love to make my own coconut butter!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Well, I've made coconut butter for months in my VitaMix. First, you can use coconut flakes, but there's a product available in Indian stores called coconut powder. Use that if you can find it...it liquefies much more quickly. (It's exactly the same thing, just made into a powder instead of flakes.)

The VM works great, but have never tried this in my food processor. No problem getting the coconut butter out of the VM, any more than any other item. However, the idea of adding a little coconut oil would make it even easier.

ETA: coconut flour is defatted to the point that it will not work for making coconut butter.

Last edited by gharkness; 09-27-2011 at 03:33 PM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Thanks for the tip! I've been using my cheap-o blender and have had the same threat of motor burn out. I will add coconut oil next time.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Georgene, I was eying that coconut powder at the Indian market yesterday wondering if it would do well for coconut butter. Thanks for the heads up.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Okay, I have read all of the comments, but my one question is can you give me some ideas on what to do with coconut butter?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/now pregnant 125 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
This didnt work for me. I used the food processor for about 30 minutes and i added the coconut oil. Now i have greasy looking flakes. Did i use the wrong thing??
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
This didnt work for me. I used the food processor for about 30 minutes and i added the coconut oil. Now i have greasy looking flakes. Did i use the wrong thing??
Not necessarily. You have to have a critical mass of ingredients, so it could be that you didn't put enough, so instead of being pulverized, they just got slapped around, or your food processor was too big, or it was underpowered.

It's one of those things you have to experiment with. I know not everyone has a VitaMix, but it solves most of those problems because the 'action' is happening in a smaller place at the bottom of the blender, so the coconut gets ground up enough to heat up the coconut to make it release its oil.

The advantage of using coconut powder instead of flakes is that the powder has already gone through the first grinding, which reduced the flakes to the powder (and it's usually a whole bunch cheaper).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #18

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Not necessarily. You have to have a critical mass of ingredients, so it could be that you didn't put enough, so instead of being pulverized, they just got slapped around, or your food processor was too big, or it was underpowered.

It's one of those things you have to experiment with. I know not everyone has a VitaMix, but it solves most of those problems because the 'action' is happening in a smaller place at the bottom of the blender, so the coconut gets ground up enough to heat up the coconut to make it release its oil.

The advantage of using coconut powder instead of flakes is that the powder has already gone through the first grinding, which reduced the flakes to the powder (and it's usually a whole bunch cheaper).
Could someone please post a recipe( I saw Jan's ideas) with measurements and instructions? I admit having some in a jar that I took one taste of but haven't used it for anything else yet.

How does everyone eat theirs? Do you use it in recipes or mostly just with a spoon out of the jar? Thanks!

Last edited by catkin; 09-29-2011 at 08:19 AM..
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
Could someone please post a recipe( I saw Jan's ideas) with measurements and instructions? I admit having some in a jar that I took one taste of but haven't used it for anything else yet.

How does everyone eat theirs? Do you use it in recipes or mostly just with a spoon out of the jar? Thanks!
I eat mine on a spoon out of the container, with peanut butter, or with SF chocolate chips (I make my own), melted on a pancake....whatever sounds good at the time. Or, with all the above. It tends to be dry and sticky-feeling, much like peanut butter, so don't get a whole big mouthful at a time. Nibble at it, and soon enough, ideas will come to you.

Wouldn't have the first clue on how to create a recipe. Put some in the blender. Blend it. When it liquefies, eat it (or put it in a jar). If it needs some "help," add a little bit of coconut oil and blend some more.

For the record, I have never had to add coconut oil. I just blend it until it's liquid, but I use a VitaMix, never a food processor.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/now pregnant 125 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
Well, I put my "mess" in the fridge until I heard from you ladies. I took it out this morning and tried to process it again. This time I used the mini chopper so I would have more volume of stuff in the container. I processed it for a few minutes (5-6) then pushed it around with a spoon and repeated. I did this for a total of about 20 minutes and it still looked exactly like it did when I started. I added more coconut oil and still nothing. Oh well.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: T-Jan
Stats: 169.6/171.7/135
Start Date: 7/11/11
I haven't made my own yet but you can get some ideas for recipes at tropicaltraditions.com--just convert recipes to LC. They sell coconut cream, which is the same thing, I think. I just tried making some coconut gelatin with it and other ingredients. My recipe needs some work! It came out a bit "stiff"! I also use it sweetened as a spread, you could use it in Thai food like soup or sauce, frosting--it gets hard when cold but melts with higher temps (mix with cream cheese and sweetener). I look forward to reading more ideas.
T-Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
Well, I put my "mess" in the fridge until I heard from you ladies. I took it out this morning and tried to process it again. This time I used the mini chopper so I would have more volume of stuff in the container. I processed it for a few minutes (5-6) then pushed it around with a spoon and repeated. I did this for a total of about 20 minutes and it still looked exactly like it did when I started. I added more coconut oil and still nothing. Oh well.
When I processed mine, I had to pulse it. If I just tried to let it run in my crappy blender, it didn't work. Pulse, pulse, pulse, scrape, scrape, scrape, rinse and repeat

Eventually, it got down to a paste. I started with pieces that we smaller than flakes. My end result wasn't as smooth as the pre-made coconut butter I'd bought (Artisana brand), but it was pretty close. It just took a while.

Maybe you could try the pulsing method?

If you Google "make nut butter in a blender", one of the first results that comes up is from the Cupcake project. She reviews the performance of a Magic Bullet vs. regular blender. I used that as my inspiration for making coconut butter in my blender. It's useful!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissiesue View Post
If you Google "make nut butter in a blender", one of the first results that comes up is from the Cupcake project. She reviews the performance of a Magic Bullet vs. regular blender. I used that as my inspiration for making coconut butter in my blender. It's useful!
OMG you should have warned me! I am going to get in trouble for laughing out loud at work! Google that exact phrase and choose the first site that comes up: "Magic Bullet vs. Ordinary Blender."
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OMG you should have warned me! I am going to get in trouble for laughing out loud at work! Google that exact phrase and choose the first site that comes up: "Magic Bullet vs. Ordinary Blender."
You know, I totally thought about posting a warning, and then I was too lazy. My apologies!!

Glad you got a laugh, though. For others: be warned -- a mention of the OTHER magic bullet is included in the post (and a few double entendres).
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I have a small little processor (Little Oscar), so I used about 1 1/2 cups dried coconut, with 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil. Put the coconut oil in at the beginning and process until it liquifies. With the oil it took about 5 minutes for a smooth butter. Without the oil I processed about 20 - 30 minutes with less satisfactory results--dry and grainy.

I took my oil + butter on a car trip. It melted and seParated before hardening again. I scraped off the oil layer and the remaining butter was very nice.

YMMV.

Last edited by Janknitz; 09-30-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Found Coconut Powder at an Indian Grocery Store.... $2.99 for a pound. (what a deal!)

It looks like ruffly ground coconut flakes stopping just short of being a flour.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Found Coconut Powder at an Indian Grocery Store.... $2.99 for a pound. (what a deal!)

It looks like ruffly ground coconut flakes stopping just short of being a flour.
Yes! That's why I keep telling people! Coconut butter is so expensive...and the powder makes it much less so.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gharkness - Thank you for the heads up on where to find this.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #29

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Quote:
I eat mine on a spoon out of the container, with peanut butter, or with SF chocolate chips (I make my own), melted on a pancake....whatever sounds good at the time. Or, with all the above. It tends to be dry and sticky-feeling, much like peanut butter, so don't get a whole big mouthful at a time. Nibble at it, and soon enough, ideas will come to you.

Wouldn't have the first clue on how to create a recipe. Put some in the blender. Blend it. When it liquefies, eat it (or put it in a jar). If it needs some "help," add a little bit of coconut oil and blend some more.

For the record, I have never had to add coconut oil. I just blend it until it's liquid, but I use a VitaMix, never a food processor.
So sorry to be late in returning to the thread! Thanks gharkness! I will give this a try when I reach goal.
catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I just ordered the cream. I am going to look for some powder. I want to make some Christmas candy with this.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote