Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Melrose
WOE: Atkins Again
Start Date: Restarting: 11.11.13
Boston Butt recipes, please

I just bought a Boston Butt today and don't think I have ever cooked one in my life.

I do not like bbq (pulled pork) type meat/flavoring, so if anyone has any other way of cooking it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

PS, can this be roasted like a regular roast?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Is it boneless? Do you like Mexican stuff?

I don't think I've ever oven-roasted one - but I've done in the crockpot numerous times - usually with a Mexican theme! Let me know if you'd like that!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Barbara yes it can be roasted in the oven, I cook mine low and slow, on 300 for about 3 hours or more if its a large roast. I tent it while cooking and cook the fat cap on top so it will melt down into the meat and keep it moist.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Char,

There is a bone in it, the package says Boston Butt and then in smaller writing blade cut.

Sad to say, I don't love mexican flavoring either. Maybe I need to branch out and I could cut down the spices so that it would be more of muted taste? Would you mind letting me know what you do with it?

I do have a crock pot, some onions, spices, vinegar, mustard.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Laura,

I don't have foil (I am out of everything with no extra money to buy extras). Do you just put salt and pepper?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Barbara I put garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper on mine but any seasoning you like would be ok. Foil is optional, I just use it because it is in the oven awhile.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Barbara, I make carnitas with mine, which really isn't highly seasoned of its own - it's more what you eat it WITH after it's cooked! LOL!

So what I do is chop an onion and put that in the crockpot first, add a little dried oregano; then sprinkle the meat with garlic salt and a little chili powder if you like it - plop it on top of the onions, add a beer (I use Corona Light) or you could use chicken stock - let it cook til very tender, about 8 hours on low. Remove to a platter and let cool, then cut into chunks or shred.

Heat your oven to 400*. Toss the chunks with a little fat - I like melted bacon fat myself, but whatever you have - place on roasting pan and pop into the oven, turning every 15 minutes, til it's browning to your liking. I like it getting crispy bits.

You can use it for tacos, or just as a plate with refried beans, or any way you like! Good on a salad too.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, both ways sound good to me. I don't have any chicken stock so I maybe just roasting it like Laura suggested but if I like the meat (I love a roast pork so I assume the taste may be the same?) then I will pick up another one.

I like the idea of a crock pot but without stock or beer, I don't know what to put in there for the liquid. I do have Captain Morgan and a diet pepsi - maybe a drunken butt? I am teasing but wondering how that would taste?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Gadget Gal

LOL! Drunken butt. I think I may have had that a time or two in my life....
Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post

I like the idea of a crock pot but without stock or beer, I don't know what to put in there for the liquid. I do have Captain Morgan and a diet pepsi - maybe a drunken butt? I am teasing but wondering how that would taste?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Pulled Pork Awesomeness | Savory Seduction

This is the best recipe I've ever tried. I made the pork and put it in the freezer in individual servicings and when I heat it up I pour a little more marrinade on it. Put it between two oopsides and the DH is in heaven.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I use it for pork roast all the time.

It's very simple. I rub it all over with French's yellow mustard. Then sprinkle liberally with granulated garlic, black pepper and salt. Drizzle with olive oil and rub all spices in thoroughly. You can do this up to 1 day ahead.

Pre-heat oven to 450*. Place roast in a roasting pan and place in preheated oven at 450* for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn heat down to 250* and let roast cook at 250* until tender. (If you don't feel like cooking it low and slow, you can always just cook it the rest of the way at 350* for about 20minutes/lb).

This could take 3-4hours or as long as 12-14 hours depending on the size of the roast. Check for doneness by wiggling the bone of the shoulder. If it wiggles and releases easy, it's done.

Take out and cover roast with aluminum foil and let rest. You can then either, slice it or pull it. You can make gravy out of the pan drippings too.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Pulled Pork Awesomeness | Savory Seduction

This is the best recipe I've ever tried. I made the pork and put it in the freezer in individual servicings and when I heat it up I pour a little more marrinade on it. Put it between two oopsides and the DH is in heaven.
Jenna,

Thank you so much for the recipe link. It sounds good although I do have to admit, I am not a pulled pork lover but this doesn't sound like it is very bbq-y to me so it might be worth a try.

But, thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
I use it for pork roast all the time.

It's very simple. I rub it all over with French's yellow mustard. Then sprinkle liberally with granulated garlic, black pepper and salt. Drizzle with olive oil and rub all spices in thoroughly. You can do this up to 1 day ahead.

Pre-heat oven to 450*. Place roast in a roasting pan and place in preheated oven at 450* for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn heat down to 250* and let roast cook at 250* until tender. (If you don't feel like cooking it low and slow, you can always just cook it the rest of the way at 350* for about 20minutes/lb).

This could take 3-4hours or as long as 12-14 hours depending on the size of the roast. Check for doneness by wiggling the bone of the shoulder. If it wiggles and releases easy, it's done.

Take out and cover roast with aluminum foil and let rest. You can then either, slice it or pull it. You can make gravy out of the pan drippings too.
Pooticus,

Thank you for the roast recipe, between this and Pirate's one I should be all set.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Barbara it's a really good recipe. You can make the marinade taney, sweet (I used stevia and xyitol and brown sugar sub whey low) or spicy with the peppers. Very flavorful.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote